My last Integrated Amp: $5-10,000?

I would like to hear recommendations regarding integrated amplifiers costing between $5-10,000. This will be my last amplifier for quite a while. I prefer to buy used when I can but also prefer no older that 2-3 years.  My speakers are likely to change every couple of years and I may keep more than one pair.

I like a detailed and transparent sound with air and the ability to easily to pick out the location of the instruments/singers.   I have liked the class A that I’ve heard and I’ve liked the tubes that I’ve heard but I don’t want to mess with tubes.  Also, I do not want a streaming device and I’d rather not have a built in DAC but I can live with it. 

My music preferences are vocals and 70-90s rock. 
So far I have identified the following possibilities that are available.
Mark Levinson: No 585 at $8400 and ML-5805 at $6550.  The latter is a new model and I have read that there have been teething problems. I don’t know if ML have corrected this situation. 
Luxman L-590AXII $7250  has a good reputation and longevity but is relatively low powered.

McIntosh MA5300, Coda CISB, and Gryphon Diablo 120 are also possibilities if available.

chinook9

you have a good list already

i would add hegel h390 or 590, new krell in that price range, and of course, pass lab stuff

not a bad one in the lot, just subtle sonic differences while all being truly excellent in their own way, and of course, some feature set differences

Bakoon.Not powerhouses but they have a very pure ,open and 3D sound.Just about anything else other than a very very good SET sounds hazy by comparison.An AMP 5521 for example.

I like a detailed and transparent sound with air and the ability to easily to pick out the location of the instruments/singers.

Sounds like Pass Labs :) Go and audition the INT-25, don't let the specs fool you. Just listen and see for your self

That's a good list, I'd throw in Ayre as something to listen to.

Be aware the Luxman 590 specs are way too conservative (probably due to FTC pre-heating requirements).  The actual output with music is much higher than spec.

Luxman L-590AXII $7250 has a good reputation and longevity but is relatively low powered.

As what Celestial Sound has suggested, the rated output numbers on paper as published by few manufacturers are conservative and do not reflect the actual output in real life, particularly Class A designs. This applies to the Luxman L-590AXII as well. The test bench of the Luxman L-590AXII performed by Hifi News shows that the power output is more than triple the official quoted figures in the specification.

Official on paper = 30W (8 ohms) / 60W (4 ohms)

Actual test bench results = 95W (8 ohms) / 165W (4 ohms)

Without question theu.s.a made Coda imo best under $10 k 

pit has 120 amps on hand the biggest potted transformer in class ,3,000 Va 

super quiet all others open core ,and 3 power choices ,and doubles down into 2 ohms lowest power is 18  first watts into class A , then 150,300,600 wpc from 8 to 2 ohms ,10 year warranty. ,1st year they will even pay the shipping if it broke which is Very rare, stereo times 2020 product ofthe year, and a great review vs pass labs 

a very natural sounding integrated amp and also 2 higher power choices  at no extra charge I think retail around $7 k Mike at Audio Archon is a very good guy to work with  and get a break in pricing off retail.

I would second Hegel 390, sounds fantastic, and I have heard great thing about Krell 300i.

Look at USAudiomart for a KRELL K-300i integrated. The ad may not be up yet but it one will show up. 

I have a Krell K300i with the integrated DAC and I love this amp!   However I use an Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE for my music DAC as that combination is magical.

The Krell has great power and I understand the first 92watts are Class A.

The weak point is the remote, but that does not affect the sound!

So. Many. Choices. You cannot go wrong with Hegel, Pass, Gryphon, Simaudio, Luxman etc. Look for reviews for the amps that suit your listening palette. Then go from there. 

I love my Boulder 866 with built-in DAC.  It’s a bit above your price point but worth a listen if you can stretch. 

Another vote for Simaudio, I have the 340 and i is fantastic!!

The next step up is the 600 which should be as well..

Tough to beat the McIntosh MA5300 for 6k.  Plenty of power, beautiful abs functional, great DAC.  Great resale 

I had virtually the same requirement as you and I end-up with the Luxman L-509X. It is detailed and warm as the same time, truly amazing. You should auditioned it and see (or listen!) for yourself, your final choice would be improved independently of what you end-up selecting.

You’ve got a great list and choices that have been presented.  So much will depend on your personal preference and set / speakers.  

Based on the list and comments that you like tubes but don’t want to fuss with them, the class A options are likely the best place to start.  I’ve had and compared the Coda CSiB, the Krell 300i, the PrimaLuna 400 integrated (tube).  Compared these to Krell 300xd and Parasound A21.  

All 3 are fantastic products, integrated amps.  If you really like tubes, Primaluna is about as fuss free as you can get, autobias, easier on tubes and you can tube roll a ton of tubes to tailor the sound.  Powerful for a Tube amp but if you have harder to drive speakers might run out of oomph if you need it.  Built like a tank.

Coda was simply awesome - built like a tank, you can reach the owners / designers who are really open about the build and comparison to other products they make.  

Krell - there is something magical about the Krell - too my ears we the best of the bunch and I wanted to like the Coda better…. If you read reviews on the Krell, there are a lot, there are plenty of people with a love affair with this unit.  You can find one used, saw one under 5 grand without the DAC.

Now - when I compared all the integrated amps to the stand alone Krell 300xd - well, ended up with the 300xd - was another level above the integrated amps.  BTW - CSiB had a great pre, worked well just as a pre.  

I’d stretch a bit if it was me, look for the Gryphon 300 Diablo - without a DAC used you might come close to 10 grand - there is one listed with the DAC for 13.5 grand.

i think everyone on your list is a great option - I’d add Krell for sure - talked to quite a few people that compared quite a few integrated amps and landed on the Krell.

Enjoy the journey! 

let me chime in add kudos for krell

over the years i have had excellent and then terrible experiences with krell amps and integrateds... recently, very good experiences again

as a general rule i think the ’ksa’ series, fpb, evo of class a/ab amps are excellent

if good sound (as well as awesome power) is the priority, i would steer clear of any ’kav’ series (there are many of them)... they sound hard and strident (maybe fine for sizzle boom home theater but not for natural 2 channel imo)

since the s series (s-300i s-550i) to the newer ’k’ series, i think the best of krell is back and these are absolutely in the same class as other top players in this class - nuanced sound, delicacy with power, natural timbres, a touch of warmth, ultra refined treble, excellent spatial re-creation...

among these, the s series are the best buys of the bunch, they were excellent designs but assembled in china, so some will poo-poo that (100% their loss if they feel this way) -- i picked up an s-550i locally and it is simply superb and a wonderful value in the used market... tremendously satisfying, simply lovely with my big maggies...

Some excellent SS ones

HEGEL H390

Krell Foundation 4k with box AND PAPERS

The tube I would get. Tube warmth/tone different than SS. This has plenty of power too.

Rogers High Fidelity EHF-200 MK2 Integrated Tube Amplifier LIFETIME WARRANTY SOLD DIRECTLY FROM ROGERS WITH CERTIFICATION

Also selling a KT88 if you call them decently you'll save the 13% ebay charges, Hint hint. The KT88 runs off iPad or iPhone too.

There's a Gryphon Diablo 300 just listed (not by me, and no affiliation) on another popular high end website for $9750. In your price range, I'd probably jump all over that. The Boulder 866 is another good choice. I had one for a couple of years and thought it was excellent.

There are quite a lot of good options in that budget range.  In addition to what has been suggested, there are also some Accuphase offerings (E-280, E-380), as well as the Cary Audio SI-300.2d.

I run a McIntosh MA5200 and its fantastic for me.  It does everything I need plus I love the way it looks.  I ran Krell's before and they were great too. 

You’ve already got several excellent options here, so if I’m you I’m reading all the reviews I can to see which one(s) best provide the sound characteristics you’re looking for. If you know you like the Class-A, solid-state sound it’s hard to see you going wrong with the Gryphon if it provides the sound characteristics you’re looking for, but I’d also add Vitus as another excellent option in that category worth looking into. So get reading(!!!), and best of luck in your search.

The Michi X5 is $7500 and is described by a veteran audio technician of my acquaintance as a work of art from the viewpoint of engineering, parts quality and build.  It deserves consideration in this category.  There is also an X3 with (only) 200W/ch at $5300.00.

Check out the Gold Note IS-1000 Deluxe (upgraded chip) at around $6,000 usd. 

Post removed 

Stick with,Mac or coda for longevity 

if I had the,coin, I would get a Mac, the ayre is nice also!

read a lot of reviews before the wallet opens!

i saved  up some good coin with family help, took me just over or under 4 1/2 years to save. Was not easy. I’m glad I had the strength to save, and for the nice lady going through a divorce , and helping me with total price for my monoblocs!

had 3 brands I was very interested in here on the gon, pass, McCormack and ……crap, forgot,…anyway, I think the one pair sold, so it was between the pass and McCormack’s, after luck that they didn’t sell, and reading the entire internet about pass and McCormack, I think the pass monos were 300 RMS, AND were in great shape, after many late nights reading, calling the factories, talking to two of my cousins, to get their thoughts, as this was a unheard purchase,  only the second time or maybe 3rd a blind purchase was made, so happy with the McCormack monos’ the,correct choice was made, as far as future upgrades. 

I suppose I would have flaunted themPass amps more, but the correct decision was made!

as soon as I seen the truck pull to curb, I sprinted to help, as I’ve been disappointed on many occasions with the moron fed X and ups, bunch of disrespectful morons. Arrived in 3 boxes, so the lady was awesome at packing them! Unpacked, put on rug overnight as it was cold when they arrived.  

it was like Christmas when I woke up, put on the stands, wired everything up, double and triple checked all connections. After hum and static, it was fixed with better shielded cabling. 
she helped me so much, the LD-2 WAS IN my grasp, and scooped her up as well as the aging UDP-1. For a great price, ended up with a great system of top tier audio for an amazing price, all components are in like new cond. 

damn, detailed it,,sorry.

Mac, coda, is the way to go.

Happy shopping!

Thank you to all of you who have made recommendations.  I have started reading reviews and checking to see what's available. 

The reading reviews part may be a bit easier than I thought.  I expect reviewers to say lots of nice things that don't generally help me, however, for a couple of these amps the reviewers just flat out state that its the best they ever heard.  It makes interpreting those reviews much easier.

Thanks again....but I expect I may be back asking for additional information.

Gryphon Diablo 300 if it's going to be your last integrated amp. I currently have one and it's a superb amp - will drive any speaker. The one on USAM will go soon if you don't jump on it.

I’d put more emphasis on reviews/reviewers who take the time and effort to compare a review sample to another competitive piece, otherwise the reviewer could just be listening to the reviewed product in a bubble and relying on longer-term auditory memory — that is horribly unreliable — to form their opinions and judgements. Read pretty much any TAS review and you’ll see they don’t compare review equipment to anything else and usually just gush over what a product does well as throw in a lightly-worded sentence or two of where it falls short.  And in many of their reviews they don’t even disclose any of the associated equipment currently in their system, and if they do they conveniently omit only the piece in the category of the review sample — WHAT??? Bunch of cowards desperately trying to avoid accountability or being pinned down on anything.  Worst of all, after I read one of their reviews I can’t say with any confidence I have a good idea of how the product really sounds. Stereophile, Soundstage!, and some others usually include product comparisons as a matter of course (I know Soundstage! requires relevant comparisons to be part of every review and for good reason) so they’d be worth seeking out more than others. Just my $0.02 FWIW, and best of luck in your search.

you have to give the Cary AUDIO sl1-100 a shot. Have mine for a few months and you will get excellent sound

There are lots of great amps on the market. Review that are positive are good… but after that it is the character they talk about… detailed, fleshed out… The Absolute Sound, Strereophile and HiFi+ are really good a about describing the sound in generally accepted terminology that characterizes it… so you can figure out if it fits your preference. The trick is auditioning equipment they review… if you are calibrated  to the nomenclature… then you know what equipment you will like. 

I would buy an Audio Research VSI75 long before I would consider many others. The reviews and listening have shown me this brand shares my values in sound.

Pass, Rogue, Audio Research, McIntosh, Boulder are all very different. You need to find the company that speakers to your emotional center. Worth some auditioning.