My last Integrated Amp: $5-10,000?

I would like to hear recommendations regarding integrated amplifiers costing between $5-10,000. This will be my last amplifier for quite a while. I prefer to buy used when I can but also prefer no older that 2-3 years.  My speakers are likely to change every couple of years and I may keep more than one pair.

I like a detailed and transparent sound with air and the ability to easily to pick out the location of the instruments/singers.   I have liked the class A that I’ve heard and I’ve liked the tubes that I’ve heard but I don’t want to mess with tubes.  Also, I do not want a streaming device and I’d rather not have a built in DAC but I can live with it. 

My music preferences are vocals and 70-90s rock. 
So far I have identified the following possibilities that are available.
Mark Levinson: No 585 at $8400 and ML-5805 at $6550.  The latter is a new model and I have read that there have been teething problems. I don’t know if ML have corrected this situation. 
Luxman L-590AXII $7250  has a good reputation and longevity but is relatively low powered.

McIntosh MA5300, Coda CISB, and Gryphon Diablo 120 are also possibilities if available.

chinook9

Showing 4 responses by ryder

Luxman L-590AXII $7250 has a good reputation and longevity but is relatively low powered.

As what Celestial Sound has suggested, the rated output numbers on paper as published by few manufacturers are conservative and do not reflect the actual output in real life, particularly Class A designs. This applies to the Luxman L-590AXII as well. The test bench of the Luxman L-590AXII performed by Hifi News shows that the power output is more than triple the official quoted figures in the specification.

Official on paper = 30W (8 ohms) / 60W (4 ohms)

Actual test bench results = 95W (8 ohms) / 165W (4 ohms)

If you must go integrated I recently heard the new Luxman L 507Z and the sound paired with Harbeth 30XD speakers was very nice.  

see post 74.  

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/axpona-2022.1143328/page-3

Looking good. Let me paste the photos here. 

just saw your post. I had the 590 AX II. I did enjoy it for vocals very much. Listened to lots of vinyl with it as it has a built in phono stage. Vocals were really nice with the amp. It is not in any way a powerful amp. I know people talk about specs, and it isn’t a “weak” amp but for rock I found that when pushed the sound pressed and sort of screamed. A little like being to fast in 3rd gear. Classical def didn’t have enough power. Jazz and vocals are nice. So if you like to rock out I would maybe go with a bit more power. I have spent time with the levinson 585 and that def has more bass and power. For sure. It is more neutral sounding, a tad colder than the 590 but it has more guts and sounds good. The Luxman 509 to me has nothing in common with the 590. Totally different color as it is designed AB vs class A. To my ears the 509 was not nearly as nice as the 590 or the 585. Somebody mentioned pass, the INT 60 would be much more powerful than either Luxman. Pass puts out lots of power in their class A designes. I also listened to Boulder , Ayre . Someone mentioned gryphon 120. I actually do believe that will be your amp because of the vocals and rock. The 120 is considered to be a fantastic integrated with a slightly warm color. I sold my 590 AX II luxman because it just didn’t have the power I needed for classical.

Dancarlson10,

Good information. I believe the speakers play a huge role in the amp selection. May I ask on the speakers that were matched with the Luxman L-590AXII and 509X? I have not listened to the 509X but own the 590AXII. The 590AXII to me is a wonderful amp when matched with appropriate speakers. It’s currently the best sounding integrated amp below $10k I’ve owned after more than 25 years of messing around in this hobby. I’ve had it matched with Marten Duke 2 and it’s a wonderful sounding combination - smooth, slightly warm but delicate and refined with good clarity and detail. It’s not easy to achieve smooth and warm with refined and detail at the same time but the 590AXII managed to deliver this result. Most smooth or warm amps/systems sound soft and wooly, lacking in detail, dynamics and drive but the Luxman combines everything together and delivers the sound as a whole package.

The L-590AXII matches well with efficient or relatively easy to drive speakers. If the speakers are a demanding load or there is a requirement to fill a large room with sound. then perhaps there will be other more appropriate options as you have brought up. More powerful amps such as Pass Labs INT-60 or INT-250 etc.

but … if future speakers could be a demanding load, current-hungry, etc I would consider a Plinius. They are biased heavily into class A, but have a lot of power and current available, stable into low impedances.

Plinius is less detailed and refined than Luxman. It sounds warmer with a thick heavy bass but with reduced clarity. My experience was with the SA-100mk3 and the Hautonga received the same remarks.