Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers.

In the latest Stereophile magazine, they did a review of the $30,000 tekton’s. In this Steteophile issue, they rate these $30,000 tekton’s as class B. When you look at the other speakers that are in the class B section, you will notice most of these speakers range in price from $5000-$8000. So it looks like you have to spend $30,000 on a pair of tekton’s to equal a pair of $5000 Klipsch Forte IV’s sound quality. 
If I compare these $30,000 class B tekton’s, to some of the class A speakers, there are some class A speakers for 1/2 the price (Dutch & Dutch 8C, Goldenear triton reference), or other class A speakers that are cheaper (Magico A5, Kef blade 2).

p05129

miijostyn - Respectfully, 18 product of the year awards, clients with Grammy Awards, a handful of respected electro-acoustical patents [including one of the simplest schematics in existence with four common parts] and we have to deal with preschool playground nonsense on Audiogon. So you folks don’t understand or like what we do - move on.

thecarpathian, Respectfully, when it down spirals into personal defamation and slander of my work I’ll be on here. Furthermore, I’ll report it.

Eric Alexander - audio designer

I’ talked to Erik he is always kind and humble to me. I own 2 of his speakers ps 12 and double impact. I am happy to own them.

The facts are Tekton Design is a disruptive product that delivers audiopihile quality at an affordable price - eighteen product of the year awards proves this. It should be obvious that Stereophile has no choice to rate the reviewed Moab Be as a 'class B' loudspeaker because it isn't a visual piece of art that seconds as a loudspeaker. The Moab Be is a form following function design with zero frill or flare. Offering stunning visual art and flare that seconds as a loudspeaker isn't my business model; there are no fewer than two dozen companies covering that base and it's of no interest to me. 

Eric alexander - audio designer 

I've heard a couple pairs of Tektons and they were not my cup of tea. But I think it makes perfect sense for the designer to create any speaker at any price point he thinks worthwhile. That's what great engineers and artists do -- they stretch themselves.

@mahgister 

But you miss as most people what i spoke about ... Is it my poor mastery of English that does not help ? Probably ...

But it seems most people had no idea of what is acoustics ( not mere room acoustic only ) impact on a system well embedded and the huge difference between before and after..

I am pretty sure no one missed your post. It probably sounded familiar. Blah blah acoustics blah blah embedded... yeah. We know.

I am an audio curmudgeon/cheapskate...I would never spend this kind of money on speakers.  BUT...I recently heard the new Dali Epikore 11s, and while $60K is waaaaay beyond anything I could ever justify even if I could afford it, they immediately impressed me more than anything I've heard from Focal, B&W, Wilson, or anyone else, some in an equally stratospheric price range.  so if the Tektons, for half as much, give a more affluent listener than I am a similar reaction, more power to them.  

Post removed 

I’ll just say size does matter when it comes to speakers and leave it at that. 

Eric,

I'm sure you know this but miijostyn is well known for his strong opinions on products of which he knows little about and/or hasn’t listened to in decades.  Bizarre that someone would spend time engaged as he does but some things cannot be explained.  That said, good for you to protect your brand/product and let open minded readers hear your side.  Not that the two sides are remotely of equal qualification.

Axel - NYC

ajhsu2, Thanks! Haven't been on here in months. I'm never on here until someone lets me know I need to be.   

You are a patronizing pretentious ass from many years ago since the first time you answered my posts irritate by them... Patronizing me between calm period because you are a frustrate dude i thought that you are able to discuss ... 😊

I already tried anything : privage message in the beginning , i even apologize many times just for demonstrating my good faith , i congratulate you for good posts , i NEVER attack you ad hominem as you did...

I was always polite accept your criticism about my english because as you said to me " i am a well known corrector" bla bla...

Conclusion : If you dont like someone for any reason especially if someone dare to spoke about A. I. for example in the thread you started instead of discussing you quitted sulking because i was over your head here and you resemble a narrow mind...

The bad news is i like all people here even including you...

Then i will come back ...

My best to you ...For sure....😊

By the way being a "corrector"  you know when i spoke about acoustics with an (s)  it is not room acoustic the adjective...😊

Then all your sentence make no sense anymore and reflect your ignorance or your irritation and  frustation or the two , did you catch it : ?

I am pretty sure no one missed your post. It probably sounded familiar. Blah blah acoustics blah blah embedded... yeah. We know.

Thanks guys.  The Vette would go for about the price of 5 - 6 (2.5 - 3 pr) of the Moabs, new.  The paint and bodywork was as much as a single Moab. 😉

@tektondesign ,

I was in no way denigrating your products as I've never heard them. I was pointing out the fact that there is a more subtle, classier way to get your point across.

Also, the word you are looking for is 'libel', not 'slander'. And that word is only applicable to deliberately false information being spread here, not opinion.

I hope this helps to make your future posts a bit more tame. You as a business owner-unfortunately- don't have the luxury of petty tit for tat nonsense. You have to give the impression of being above it. Anything else would be a detriment to your business and you personally.

By the way i will soon post in the thread "The Mystery Of Sound Is Mysticism" ..

I invite Hilde45 to read it... 😊 He can try to patronize me if he want i will answer politely with arguments ...😁

it was one of the most important discovery in music history since Pythagoras...It is not a joke...And Hilde45 it will be about acoustic with an (s) ...😉

i will explain why with many articles and a book i will suggested ...

My best to all...

back to Tekton....

When my Moab Be get’s compared to a $26K Magico A5 and the $27K Kef Blade 2 it’s obvious that my business model and background is overlooked and misunderstood. Question... how is a Magico A5 or a Kef Blade 2 going to go fare with my budget priced $5200 Tekton Moab?! One is going to sound big and exciting and the other two are going be something else entirely.

If we are going by sonics alone, some of the rinse/repeat/rehash & market for snob appeal type of brands are not your real competitors. Your real competitors are guys who’ve produced stunning sonics at shows, etc at rather reasonable prices (Borresen, Mofi, etc), i.e., the other "disruptors" perhaps.

IME, and as a former end-user of some of your product, the anticipated sonic advantages of some of your designs wasn’t entirely there in comparison to some competitor product. You may accept the notion that there is always room for improvement (it isn’t all figured out already), if you perceive that engineering is a life long process of learning/improving things.

@MOFOJO, google 'Review Tekton Moab BE" and see what you get.  Beryllium drivers are very expensive.  Not sure if they are worth the price.

I invite Hilde45 to read it... 😊 He can try to patronize me if he want i will answer politely with arguments ...😁

I don't need to read more of your words. I bet there are many here just tired tired tired of your broken record comments. You have so much time on your hands that you're lucky to be patronized.

Post removed 

@mahgister I will not respond to the word "asshole." That is abusive and violates the terms of the forum. 

Others on this thread: I will not reply to this member again. Sorry that this intervened in the discussion. Self-control is not everyone's strong suit.

deep_333, "Sonic advantages" probably extrapolates to voicing and playback levels. I don't do forward and/or bright and I don't design for low level playback so I can see how someone used to the personality of a B&W Diamond for example might believe my speaker is not connecting with them personally.   
Post removed 

Respectfully, this is loudspeaker thread; you two can easily communicate through personal messages. I hope you can resolve your issues.  

Back here on planet earth... the facts are Tekton Design is a disruptive product that delivers audiopihile quality at an affordable price - eighteen product of the year awards proves this. It should be obvious that Stereophile has no choice to rate the reviewed Moab Be as a 'class B' loudspeaker because it isn't a visual piece of art that seconds as a loudspeaker. The Moab Be is a form following function design with zero frill or flare. Offering stunning visual art and flare that seconds as a loudspeaker isn't my business model; there are no fewer than two dozen companies covering that base and it's of no interest to me. 

Man, Tekton makes some amazingly ugly speakers. I’m sure they sound good. The commonality seems to be to use an array of small drivers to emulate a single big driver, I guess smaller drivers are faster and more dynamic? Will stop and go faster than a single big driver?

Post removed 

I have Scaena 3.2 which employ 12 3.5 inch units and 9 ribbons.

It makes sense to use lot of small drivers for lower distortion.

Sceana provide separate enclosure for each mid range units for refined sound.

Tekton use rather simple box but it seems to work from my impression of Moab during Pacific Audiofest 2023.

Thomas

I don't mind function-first speakers IF they sound really good for the $. 

And if the plain-jane's are really that good sounding, it's not a big deal for a furniture grade cabinet maker to replicate enclosures with a rich look.  imo, what's worse is great looking speakers for big $, with poor sound. A non-starter.  

There are a significant number of audiophiles (loose term) who don’t like Tekton speakers, how they look and how they sound. First off, one can disregard the people who have not heard them, that’s stands to reason because it would not make any sense to criticize the sound of a speaker without ever hearing it. Second point is the appearance. Well when one puts a grill on the speaker, it looks like 75% of all the other box speakers made in the world. Another criticism that does not make sense. I have a pair of Double Impact SEs. Great full range sound at a very fair price. If you look at my system page you would not know them are Tekton speakers with the grill on. Plus, Eric has provided great customer service. Another thing not really talked about much. One of the important things I have learned in life is the fact “if I don’t like a consumer product, I can move on and buy something else”. Many top speaker manufacturers over hype and over price their products. If you want to buy those speakers, you are free to do so. What is the cost of those Scaena speakers? About $90k? Not sure how many guys with an average income are buying these speakers even if they sound sublime…

Ha, ha ha ha, I guess with tekton as the premier, in all contemporary, "S.O.T.A." speaker design being truly but a foregone conclusion. Assuredly this is now the only real direction left for us, is it not? For all now must to turn our focus, our gaze into the light of aleksander!

For he has shown us the path! To which all future speaker design must surely go towards, eh?

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! All I really know about the guy is that he is really, Really, good for a few laughs! Also, that he is truly a legend! "A legend in his own mind"!

It's still so funny every-time. Even after several years of him! You guys just wind him up, and then you just let him go!

Ha, ha, ha, and then he and his "Big, giant head" has to tough it out for the rest of the day! Like - "Getting through doors" and stuff. Just how the hell does he do it?

Can you even imagine someone having a head that damned big?!

Ha, ha, ha, You guys heard him earlier! He invented his, "disruptive speaker technology"! Man-o-man, It hurts laughing this hard! For this long!

He's on point today!

I gotta roll....Ha, ha, ha....

You did respond to the word though.

I would expect that comment from someone whose handle is "invalid"

I think the used market is a good measure of the worth of something. After all the hype and incentives are gone you are left with a thing that will only sell for what someone is willing to pay for it. 

I wish the used market sites would post the actual price paid when the deal is done. I'm pretty sure the "asking 1/2 of retail" is almost never paid. I'd guess 20-30% less than the ask is what the deal goes down for.

A quick look at Hifi Shark shows these speakers don't sell fast and the ask is the typical 1/2 or MSRP. Slow sales = price drops. Especially when the seller has to sell by a certain date. 

@audphile1 

What show were those speakers at?! How did they sound? Man they are funny looking !!😂😂😂😂😂

Eric Alexander has always been helpful and takes the time to have a conversation with his customers....I don't think he has no more of a big ego than hundreds of other owners of companies that I meet at shows.....I think their speakers are a genuine value for folks on a budget that want a very MUSICAL sound...A sound you can listen to for hours without any fatigue whatsoever.....The $2500 PENDRAGONS are a perfect example.......Remember, You don't find them often on the used market...There is a REASON for that........

yesiam_a_pirate, Let's say there are no fewer than 20,000 Tekton Design loudspeakers produced, the company only caters to audiophiles with no consumer (normal people) market share, unlike B&W, Klipsch, Polk, etc... and not a single used pair for sale on Audiogon today. Wouldn't you agree that we must be doing something right?

I’ve been an owner of a pair of Ulfberhts for the last four years and have nothing but the best to say about their sound. Great full range speakers which (depending on the source material) can completely disappear in your room creating soundstage with clearly defined vocals and instruments as well as unlimited front to back layering. My pair is finished in piano black so there is no "ugly" issue like some of you are saying. They also have one Be tweeter installed per side. Yes, they are big, heavy and imposing but when you listen to the music you don’t see them. In my opinion the speakers are very well built and you would be hard pressed to find something comparable even at a multiple of their price. BTW, I found dealing with Eric a pleasure and the customer service is first rate. Oh, one more thing... I’ve been in this hobby for about 45 years and I’ve seen and heard a lot of good and bad. This is definitely very good. Some of the most recent pairs of speakers I’ve owned were Kef Blade2, Gershman Black Swan, Piega, etc. None of them lasted in my house longer than the Ulfberhts. Wonder why.

I reconsidered. Tekton are gorgeous!

They've got the Jabba face that only the father (standing between them) could love, i suppose.

And they look...hungry......like they might eat you (nom nom) if you sat too close.

Post removed 

Thanks olesno and mbmi! The Ulfberht sounds as good as Focal Utopia’s; any honest audiophile will discern this. View this as valuable information for audiophiles not a personal ego trip.

Thanks olesno and mbmi! The Ulfberht sounds as good as Focal Utopia’s; any honest audiophile will discern this. View this as valuable information for audiophiles not a personal ego trip.

Go big or go home (that's the discipline).....ULF ULF....ULF ULF ULF ULF

Post removed 

Last month Stereophile tested the B&W 801 D4. The pair cost $50,000 and are nowhere near as smooth as the Moab BEs.  I'm betting that they don't go nearly as loud either.  And Stereophile even noted that these are used as mastering monitors.

But nobody's raising a stink about it.😏

Post removed 
Post removed 

I no longer have a dog in this fight, but the hysterical backlash against Tekton speakers on this site has been going on for years and is, for me at least, far more nauseating than Tekton's lofty claims for various speaker models. FWIW, I have personally owned three different pairs of Tektons: Double Impacts, Double Impact SEs, and the Encores.

I consider all of these to be good speakers, and the Encores to be among the best speakers I've owned in twenty-five years.

As for appearance, well, here's a brief anecdote. Prior to buying the Encores, I succumbed to the all too familiar temptation we all face to try a speaker that was getting a lot of attention here and the other usual audiophile sites, as well as in a couple of reviews. I thought they were kind of cool looking and stylish, but just as I was finished putting them together--yes, some assembly required--my wife got home from work, came into the living room where our system lives, and burst into tears because she hated their appearance so much. I drank a beer and told her I'd put them up for sale within the hour.

Later that same evening, I ordered a pair of Encores from Tekton with the Spanish Tile finish. A few weeks later, they arrived. I thought they looked pretty great, especially for a fairly large speaker. The finish was nice and the color was beautiful. My wife loved them, even without the grilles!

They sounded great, too, with different types of amps and different types of music. I enjoyed them immensely for several years before finally finding a speaker I preferred--albeit at more than twice the price--but I could have lived happily with the Encores for the rest of my days.

I don't doubt for a moment that the Ulfs and newer Moabs are even better, but I couldn't say because I have not heard them. But the Encores were very, very nice and looked great in our living room.

This is just one guy's story, but at least it's based on actual user experience rather than jealousy, envy, or whatever dark motivations lurk in the hearts of the chronically discontent.

+1 for what??  Someone who can't count.  The Tekton critics really are a special group.  

@thecarpathian Way more than 40 Wilson Audio speakers for sale on Hifishark.  I guess all their speakers are crap too?  BTW, perhaps you failed to notice that almost all the Tekton's for sale are their low end models?  There was exactly 1 Moab, 0 Ulf's, and 1 Encore for sale.  Wow, all those unhappy owners that must be dumping their speakers have found a secret site to do that at?