Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers.

In the latest Stereophile magazine, they did a review of the $30,000 tekton’s. In this Steteophile issue, they rate these $30,000 tekton’s as class B. When you look at the other speakers that are in the class B section, you will notice most of these speakers range in price from $5000-$8000. So it looks like you have to spend $30,000 on a pair of tekton’s to equal a pair of $5000 Klipsch Forte IV’s sound quality. 
If I compare these $30,000 class B tekton’s, to some of the class A speakers, there are some class A speakers for 1/2 the price (Dutch & Dutch 8C, Goldenear triton reference), or other class A speakers that are cheaper (Magico A5, Kef blade 2).

p05129

“Like anything in life, value diminishes as you go up the ladder.”

You must not have heard any good speakers. I can list numerous speakers in the $3k-$10k range that would blow away the double impacts.

I suggest that you attend a few good audio shows that have good systems starting with a few grand and work your way up to the $250-$500k systems and then tell me if there isn’t a huge difference in sound quality. I have speakers in the high 5 digit range and there are some very good speakers in the low 6 digit range that are better.

I have helped rebuild several of these speakers 

The cAbinets are a joke ,just mdf and ring like a bell

The drivers are of a ? Brand and the Xover 

Very low quality. They ever put a electrolytic capacitor

In the Xover that magnitudes more noise .

In any quality speaker poly caps or foil only   the inductors were low quality iron 

Sledge hammer type, the $30k model a giant coffin 

AnD THE BS on competing with Any quality speaker 

No way,big soundstage , thats it no great imaging 

Payed  for reviews. Why do you think they were very hot 2 years ago

Now average sales at best,and good luck on the 

Resale market, sad but True !!

@mbmi 

Exactly.  I just posted the same thought in another thread (although went with $3-10k).  The Double Impacts are the speaker that put Tekton on the map.  I have said this before--the value on the end product is HUGE and maybe unsurpassed in the industry when you look at the cost of all the components, cabinet, etc.  And then have it delivered across the country for $3k.  Insane value.  All of this would mean nothing if the speaker didn't sound great.  It does and in so many ways.  And to those who want to double the cost of their speaker with a fine veneer--go for it!  As for me, I would rather spend my money on sonics, not eye candy.  

As for the Moab Be, I have never heard it.  Like anything in life, value diminishes as you go up the ladder.  For me, it would never be worth it when I consider how much I have enjoyed the DI's.  

So Big Deal....Eric's $ 30,000 speakers don't play up to their price point according to ONE reviewer.....His $ 2,000 - $ 5,000 speakers are some of the best value speakers for the money in the marketplace.....The people that praise them are the people that actually own them.

Since 99.9999% of all stereophile reviews end up with the reviewer stating this is the best his setup has ever sounded, best of the best, and most of the time the product competes with others that are many times the price.

None of this occurred, and just the opposite happened, the ratings review of class B speakers that competed with these speakers, were 1/5th less to 1/2 the price of these tektons, not good. 

I haven’t read any of the other reviews that the reviewer has been threatened but I’m guessing these weren’t favorable reviews either. 

I wouldn’t say it was a bad review at all. I think it was pretty clear the reviewer said the Moab was a great speaker for the price and the BE version not so much because only marginally better. 

I’ll say it again, the Double Impacts do things I’ve not heard other speakers do. Giant killer for 3k? Maybe. Better than 10k + speakers? Probably not in most cases but they are pretty damn good for 3k. Never heard the Moab. 

wood finish????..lipstick on a pig...but what does that have to do with a bad review of the speakers from Stereophile?

I was in IT for over 44 years and nobody wrote sentences that bad, so being in IT is not an excuse for proper grammar.

@toddalin 

Well of course, but the price would likely be more than the cost of the speakers. 

If someone wanted a nice "wooden" finish, I have seen custom automobile painters that can do truely unbelievable "wood" finishes.

@rvito ,

I'm pretty sure you can get Tektons in almost any finish you like. Including real wood veneer. Of course, that costs more, but......it's available. At least I'm pretty sure it used to be, anyway.

I have been an Audiophile for a long time and have owned a lot of different Brands over the years including Infinity Irs Betas. I have to say my Moab’s are my favorites. Not the prettiest to look at but who cares. I use an Ps Audio Bhk preamp with a Bhk 250 power amp. I just wish Tekton would step up their game and offer some models with a nice wood finish cabinet. 

It must be dementia that I have a hard time following this thread lately. (Or, maybe the thread)

"We you present and observed me.since you are so observational."

Can someone translate this? 

yyzsantabarbara      I own the LRS and they don't even come close to the Pendragons.....so there.

What do you think I did. We you present and observed me.since you are so observational.

@mark200mph 

Sophmoric? You must be kidding. Try using your own mind and fingers to type so that you can be understood.

Find yourself a dealer selling one year old demo gear, it usually goes for 50% I got my Dynaudio confidence 30 speakers for half of retail asking. 

@mark200mph  Got it. It seems that AI messed a lot in your post. Maybe you could use "a scope 6 ft tall that would arc inside when turned on" to fix this "Ai".

Again artificial intelligence changes words and spelling of words at that it did .perhaps they need better programming  of thier software. My undergrad degree was computer science.this could use a software update can you do that for the android phone I'm sure you smart enough.so we don't have to have this sophmoric conversation again.

@mark200mph 

I guess your dad didn't spend much time teaching you about spelling and punctuation.

Post removed 

I have many speakers and enjoy them all.beauty is in the eye of the beholder.so is sound.dad was  a physicists we build some of the first Motorola computers for home use several tube amps several speakers.i have so many equations in my head because I was raised by the scientific method.i put warm water in the ice tray in the freezer dad walks by sees it steaming then said q= mc delta t.where is your controller where are your measurements what are you going to time it with and so on.we hade a scope 6 ft tall that would arc inside when turned on.tube testers meters magnets ect. As a ear nose and throat and trauma MD who puts platers in people's heads and skull face ect I spent my life studying sound. I have the tekton moab s ulfbriks and other custom done by Eric tekton in between wilson maxx focal utopia be legacy and von s maggy evolution and others.i like them and enjoy my discussions with tekton.he will build you what you want.i knew wilson personally. I miss him.enjoy the music I say this not to gloat but you can learn something from everyone.keep an open opinoin.

A speaker that is close to the Pendragons at that cost would be a Magnepan LRS+.

2 years ago I ordered the Tekton Pendragons with the 7 tweeter array for $2500....I don't know of another $2500 speaker that's even close when it comes to being musical...easy to listen to for hours....detailed but never harsh and just an overall fun speaker that anyone can enjoy ALL types of recordings. The best $2500 I've ever spent.

He will be writing reviews in court, paying me for damages, as he cries a river to guys like you.

@deep_333 ,

The only one crying was the owner of Tekton. Have you not been paying attention?

After the Eric video everything became very clear. Classic case of any number of disturbing qualities were portrayed. As far as I am concerned Erin really isnt of much interest in this story. 

@newfzx7 if you watch Erin's video, he shows all the correspondence between them. So yes, I have read and watched the facebook posts, emails, discussions as they have been published without redaction and there is nothing more to the puzzle. 

There is also the Tekton guy's video that's just so disturbing in so many ways. It confirms what Erin says but puts that weird spin on what litigation means.

My original post was meant to show to the consequences to others by bashing and spreading information which may not be accurate. 

I agree with that - that it would be unfair to the vendor to spread misinformation about their product

@grislybutter  were you privy to all the interactions between Eric and Erin?

You speak as though you were. If you have all the facts then good, but please don't pretend to be all knowing on the subject if you don't. 

My original post was meant to show to the consequences to others by bashing and spreading information which may not be accurate. 

@newfzx7 do you understand what happened? Because what you described is not what happened. So from then on, your assumptions are way off.

Tekton was not wronged. It was a fair and GENEROUS review.

There was no lynch mob.

Tekton guy attacked and threatened Erin with a law suit for a review and he immediately took it down.

Do you understand what it means to be threatened with legal action FOR NOTHING? Is that in your view "using the justice system to correct something that has wronged you "????

Again, show me where Tekton was wronged in any way.

Are you serious???

So, Erin is now a fanatic and a diabolical reviewer? 

All the best,
Nonoise

@grislybutter So you are saying the using the justice system to correct something that has wronged you is akin to shooting someone? This is the sort of fantastical talk that gets the lynch mob going as I mentioned in my previous post. 

@deep_333 ,  newsflash, the owner of Tekton has had a chip on his shoulder since the companies inception.  Your analogy has gone right out the window. 

Most of of these people don’t even have first hand experience with your product. They are attacking you and your family’s livelihood, plus that of your employees and their families.

Not to mention the fact that some guys in the measurements/reviewer space are dealers for competitor brands (no conflict there, eh chief?). Brand he carries is a vehicle of technical competence (so flipping magical, mmhmm) and the others aren’t because the ’measurement’ says so apparently.

I once corrected a reviewer’s measurements on an item I owned as an end user (which he reviewed). I had measured it extensively myself and caught his bluff. Needless to say, my comment (what mattered, what didn’t, etc) and the correct data magically disappeared, which let me quickly catch on to what was going on.

Like I said, if I was in this biz, I’ll do my due diligence and preemptively post all the relevant supportive measurements with the specs for the stuff I sell. I will preemptively provide recommendations based on the type of sonic signature one may be seeking, placement, type of room, etc that work’s best for the stuff I sell. I’ll let you know if it is for you or not!!! But, if I caught some diabolical reviewer in his act, he will get sued into poverty, no ifs, no buts.

I am a business owner myself (fortunately, nothing to do with this audio crap) and my spouse is a very competent attorney. It wouldn’t cost me a dime in legal fees and I could do this all day with a smile on my face. I don’t think some guys around here know how exactly the corporate world operates, ruthless it is and so it will continue to be. You come after me and my employees’ livelihood, I will come after yours boy, it’s the way it is.

@newfzx7 but that's NOT what happened. You can color it however you want, there was no any such reaction after that review that was positive anyway. He created a storm in a teacup where there wasn't even a breeze. It's like shooting a guy on the street and arguing self-defense saying that he looked threatening. (Yes that happened too, and was just as wrong as Tekton guy's legal and verbal threats,)  

I think people should put themselves in his place.

You wake up one morning and see a video about something that you created and it has what you believe to be false information. Okay, you're not happy about it and contact the video maker. Maybe that doesn't go the way you like either. Next you go to a popular forum that deals with your craft and discover that a few posters have managed to rile up what amounts to an online lynch mob, with some posters dropping snide remarks in every post they can. Most of of these people don't even have first hand experience with your product. They are attacking you and your family's livelihood, plus that of your employees and their families.

How would you feel? Are you getting angry yet? 

This must have rolled into one big snowball of stress for the guy and i believe people need to cut him some slack.

@thecarpathian 

I guess I have to retract what I said. I forgot that he was threatening to sue people. I doubt that he had any valid grounds for that, and I think that he knew that it was an empty threat.

@thecarpathian Let me put it this way. If I was in this biz, i’d be posting all my measurements with the specs for what I sell. But, if I observed faulty measurements on some fanatic’s site (and his ’recommendations’), I would be continually sueing him into poverty.

He will be writing reviews in court, paying me for damages, as he cries a river to guys like you.

@deep_333 ,

All kidding aside, the premise of your defense of the Tekton owner’s threats and behavior is just plain weak. It’s ok for him to act the way he did because, you know, a lot of other guys are like that too. And none of you guys are Saints either!! Don’t presume to know how I am. What you call "a bit eccentric and not too socially polished"(way to white wash his behavior) I call an arrogant bully. Your defense doesn’t cut it. Try it in a court of law: " Members of the jury, you should let my client go free because a lot of other guys have done what he did, and none of you are Saints!" Doesn’t fly in a court of law, and it doesn’t fly in the Court of Public Opinion.

@deep_333 ,

I don’t care for what you just stated and you’re doing the audiophile community a great disservice by omitting certain parameters of the entire discussion. Your off axis comments are not accurately representing the whole picture. There are four holes in your statement that without rectifying will lead to supersonic consequences. I demand you retract your statement or I will start litigation against you first thing in the morning. That of course doesn’t mean I’m suing you as I interpret it. Don’t take this lightly, as I am a genius with several product awards and an honorable mention at my 4th grade science fair. Furthermore, my mom says so...

I don't think that he said anything here that was that offensive. He defended his company and his design philosophy, and I don't see a problem with that. Of course, as @deep_333 said in essence, innovators who are successful will always be popular targets.

Post removed 

There's a reviewer on YouTube who did some satire on this whole affair playing the role of Eric. Too lazy to go back and find the link. He even stated up front his dad is a lawyer who handles these kind of lawsuits and will volunteer his time free of charge to anyone who's being sued by Eric. Maybe that, too, helped to calm things down.

All the best,
Nonoise

audphile,

Those orange/red multi speaker Tektins remind me of the original version of Infinity’s QRS Speakers.

Got to hear them and they were amazing, and huge!