Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers.

In the latest Stereophile magazine, they did a review of the $30,000 tekton’s. In this Steteophile issue, they rate these $30,000 tekton’s as class B. When you look at the other speakers that are in the class B section, you will notice most of these speakers range in price from $5000-$8000. So it looks like you have to spend $30,000 on a pair of tekton’s to equal a pair of $5000 Klipsch Forte IV’s sound quality. 
If I compare these $30,000 class B tekton’s, to some of the class A speakers, there are some class A speakers for 1/2 the price (Dutch & Dutch 8C, Goldenear triton reference), or other class A speakers that are cheaper (Magico A5, Kef blade 2).

p05129

Showing 42 responses by tektondesign

We always offered 1/16" thick x 1.5" diameter neoprene pads for clients that aren't using the feet - I'm confident Steve Guttenberg's pair had pads on them and weren't leaking high pressure air in-and-out of the cabinets.

This loudspeaker sounds exceptionally good for it's price. Doing the midrange entirely in beryllium is something to be auditioned. A 'Klipsch Forte IV" is not even in the league this speaker resides in. Make a short list of $30K loudspeakers selling today and this speaker holds its own with them; and it WILL BE be the most exciting sound of the group. If the listener is on a budget then purchase a pair of Ulfberhts - a speaker under $10K that sounds as good as the Focal Grand Utopia.

miijostyn - Respectfully, 18 product of the year awards, clients with Grammy Awards, a handful of respected electro-acoustical patents [including one of the simplest schematics in existence with four common parts] and we have to deal with preschool playground nonsense on Audiogon. So you folks don’t understand or like what we do - move on.

thecarpathian, Respectfully, when it down spirals into personal defamation and slander of my work I’ll be on here. Furthermore, I’ll report it.

Eric Alexander - audio designer

The facts are Tekton Design is a disruptive product that delivers audiopihile quality at an affordable price - eighteen product of the year awards proves this. It should be obvious that Stereophile has no choice to rate the reviewed Moab Be as a 'class B' loudspeaker because it isn't a visual piece of art that seconds as a loudspeaker. The Moab Be is a form following function design with zero frill or flare. Offering stunning visual art and flare that seconds as a loudspeaker isn't my business model; there are no fewer than two dozen companies covering that base and it's of no interest to me. 

Eric alexander - audio designer 

ajhsu2, Thanks! Haven't been on here in months. I'm never on here until someone lets me know I need to be.   

deep_333, "Sonic advantages" probably extrapolates to voicing and playback levels. I don't do forward and/or bright and I don't design for low level playback so I can see how someone used to the personality of a B&W Diamond for example might believe my speaker is not connecting with them personally.   

Respectfully, this is loudspeaker thread; you two can easily communicate through personal messages. I hope you can resolve your issues.  

Back here on planet earth... the facts are Tekton Design is a disruptive product that delivers audiopihile quality at an affordable price - eighteen product of the year awards proves this. It should be obvious that Stereophile has no choice to rate the reviewed Moab Be as a 'class B' loudspeaker because it isn't a visual piece of art that seconds as a loudspeaker. The Moab Be is a form following function design with zero frill or flare. Offering stunning visual art and flare that seconds as a loudspeaker isn't my business model; there are no fewer than two dozen companies covering that base and it's of no interest to me. 

yesiam_a_pirate, Let's say there are no fewer than 20,000 Tekton Design loudspeakers produced, the company only caters to audiophiles with no consumer (normal people) market share, unlike B&W, Klipsch, Polk, etc... and not a single used pair for sale on Audiogon today. Wouldn't you agree that we must be doing something right?

Thanks olesno and mbmi! The Ulfberht sounds as good as Focal Utopia’s; any honest audiophile will discern this. View this as valuable information for audiophiles not a personal ego trip.

Agreed, no chance the B&W 801 D4 can hit the SPL numbers of any Moab model. Above 100dB the Moab distortion % will be significantly lower too. No chance the $50K B&W 801 D4 comes close to the parts quality and investment of a $30K Moab Be either; all you need to do is start counting the parts...

There is no doubt in my mind 5 out of 10 audiophiles would prefer the sound of a $5,200 pr. Moab over a $50K pr. of B&W 801 D4. The facts are Tekton Design is performing a valuable service to the audiophile community.

Hmmm... wondering what showroom you auditioned them in as we don't have a single dealer on planet earth.

IMO, "overcomplicating" a design is using a classic midrange to reproduce the 440Hz note of a violin; it's the equivlivant to an F1 car with 1000lbs of sand in it; damped and diminished overtones in acoustical physics terms is how the patent exposed it.    

Yes, we can all have our opinions. I'm not "bashing other brands" and it's fair to compare.   

Thank you! The facts are the Sterophile Be Moab model is a bona fide $30K offering and taking this thread off-topic as quickly as possible is a designed goal to a few folks posting on here.   

rbstehno, Eighteen product of the year awards and we only cater to audiophiles. How did that happen?! Respectfully, you don't know our sound and we've never produced a product that sounds or resembles anything like a Cerwin Vega.        

Just reread Rogier Van Bakel’s Stereophile Moab Be review. He likes how the speaker sounds and performs. His opinion [Rogier] should be believed and trusted over anyone jumping on here for two minutes to blurt out an ill informed opinion of what this speaker sounds like.

For those that will never own a $30K pair of loudspeakers here’s what $2500 Tekton dollars will get you...

fleschler, You'll never believe this one... we also have a few "renown remastering engineers" for clients - Grammy winners in fact.  

ghasley, As I've said... I guess that's one way of seeing it. What I see is the 'unduly sensitive' card being repeatedly tossed in here. I didn't start this thread and only because of the unhealthy narratives that get tossed into the mix I am on here. 

rsf507, Thanks for sharing! I'm currently reading and enjoying the book 'So good they can't ignore you' by Cal Newport. 

fleschler, I’m reminded how Albert Von Von Schweikert personally called me prior to his passing to congratulate me on our revolutionary technology. Albert got how important this is... you're not in that place. I also understand how some people might not be interested in "perfect midrange" - RMAF 2019

fleschler, Every version of the Pendragon is available in 2 Ohms, 4 Ohms, and 8 Ohms. We let our clients decide which one is best for their needs and we don't alienate anyone. 

yogiboy, Thanks! Our brand [Tekton] is polarizing to some audiophiles; even to the point that a few hate what we stand for. Understand the worlds most acclaimed loudspeakers are actually visual pieces of art that second as a high-performance loudspeaker. We don't follow/adhere to this set of rules and it allows us to offer products that sound as good for a lower price. Our gig is manufacturing affordable high efficiency audiophile grade loudspeakers. This approach requires no frills pro audio drivers, a utilitarian form following function design, cost effective size and weights to ease shipping costs, a painted finish that does the job and doesn't break the bank.
Next we have the patented tweeter array doing the finest midrange you'll ever hear; some believe it looks amazingly functional and cool and others cannot wrap their brain around the concept so they pooh-pooh on our products without listening.

mapman, LOL! Sound is subjective. Taste in music covers the spectrum. We all have our individual HRTF. Some can hear well enough but can’t discern. IMO, the perfect loudspeaker isn’t coming along any time soon.

fleschler, How can you say all this without having auditioned the Moabs or Ulfberhts?

Albert Von Schweikert was focused on the Ulfberht model. It was the only speaker we talked about. I’ve said it already... the Ulfberht gives nothing away to the Focal Grand Utopia - I believe that’s $.03 to the $1.00 [$.0357 to the $1.00 to be exact].

You say "I don’t know ANY speaker manufacturer who would or could take a multi-driver dynamic speaker and simply change it to perform the "same" at 2, 4 or 8 ohms." The facts are you don’t know us, our sound, and you don’t know me (something in your best interest going forward) - this is what we do and it’s how we roll.

fleschler, I'm being assertive. I have designed "a speaker to behave optimally at three different impedances." You'd have to travel here or buy all six needed to hear if for yourself. 

arafiq, Thanks! Overall, I'm a humble person. No one like being attacked. We love what we represent, and we're providing a needed service to the audiophile community.  

mapman, Trust me here... it's being done and I am under no obligation to share how any of it's done beyond what I've said already.
Sadly, high-end audio tends to lag behind car audio, pro audio, and consumer audio developments. As an example, I did my first 1/2 Ohm stereo in 1993. Over here today, we're putting the finishing touches on a new 1 Ohm audiophile subwoofer. LOL! I can see it now... some folks will singing it's praises and others will be shouting Tekton is committing another audiophile heresy. 
markor6457, Thanks for sharing! Loved hearing about your brothers speakers too. You are probably aware that we love Wilson Audio - they’re across town from us. I’ve had three of their past employees on my team.
mapman, consider this... audiophiles tend to be very consistent and predictable in their listening habits. Our larger models are already hovering over 95dB with a single Watt. Next, there are quality amplifiers produced today with low distortion numbers into 2 Ohms. Since audiophiles tend to listen the same from day-to-day and rarely anywhere near full volume running into 2 Ohms on a 95dB+ loudspeaker extrapolates to effortless sound produced at low volumes and more potential when called upon.
fleschler, I am a humble person. I believe and adhere to time, place and manner. When I get word that a new thread is unfolding on Audiogon that has a few of the usual suspects painting me and our products in a false light I'm obligated to respond. I don't wish to be on here. Based upon time, place and manner my response to a negative situation unfolding (something I did not start but feel obligated to respond) compels me to assertive and succinct. I'm simply being assertive and succinct. IMO, humility and pride really isn't in play or on display here; we're simply getting accurate information conveyed.       

No doubt that a person with a personality disorder can also be an audiophile. I hear music can be soothing to these folks : )

The facts are some audiophiles want a fabric domed tweeter, some want a planar ribbon, and some want/love the sound of beryllium. We're into filling customers needs and we offer all options.  

yyzsantabarbara, Google beryllium hand tools or Ping putter. People handle the tools daily. Don’t eat it, don’t breath it, don’t rub it on your skin, don’t sharpen it and use it for self mutilation (unless you want funny warts).

audition_audio, this is called 'product development' and I've been at this for over three decades. 

audition_audio, I guess that's one way of seeing it. You go on remaining skeptical and I'll hope you'll stumble on the opportunity to listen to a pair of Moab's in the future; if we're both lucky it'll be a one-off custom version with some oddball option... : ) 

toddalin, skeptikal is correct. We've even build a Mundorf planar AMT [air motion transformer]. 

The ceramic version is post submission for review to Stereophile. Rogier did state that his main speaker has been the original Moab pre Covid [2020].

gdnbob, Stop. Respectfully, your narrative is not grounded in truth and reality. Do your homework. Generally speaking, these types of modifications require slight adjustments and usually take an hour or two to correctly implement. I'd do a video but don't want to give away trade secrets. Understand there are simulation tools available today that can do a days work in 5 seconds. Furthermore, arguing with a guy that has more than a few patented crossover circuits isn't going result in a score for you on this topic. .  

Eric Alexander  

Box losses [4 leaking holes] are easy to predict and measure. Furthermore, once we get into the 5-10 watt range the air pressure jets in and out of them at speeds above Mach1 and they get audible. Hard to fathom a top-notch reviewer not discerning audible jet sounds coupled with Nora Jones and Diana Krall!

If you thought it through for 30 seconds you’d discern the advantages to this approach.