Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers.

In the latest Stereophile magazine, they did a review of the $30,000 tekton’s. In this Steteophile issue, they rate these $30,000 tekton’s as class B. When you look at the other speakers that are in the class B section, you will notice most of these speakers range in price from $5000-$8000. So it looks like you have to spend $30,000 on a pair of tekton’s to equal a pair of $5000 Klipsch Forte IV’s sound quality. 
If I compare these $30,000 class B tekton’s, to some of the class A speakers, there are some class A speakers for 1/2 the price (Dutch & Dutch 8C, Goldenear triton reference), or other class A speakers that are cheaper (Magico A5, Kef blade 2).

p05129

Showing 29 responses by thecarpathian

He will be writing reviews in court, paying me for damages, as he cries a river to guys like you.

@deep_333 ,

The only one crying was the owner of Tekton. Have you not been paying attention?

@tektondesign ,

If your ego was a speaker, you could see it from space.

There are much better ways to get your point across using a bit of humble prose, instead of a hammer whack of amour propre.

@tektondesign ,

I was in no way denigrating your products as I've never heard them. I was pointing out the fact that there is a more subtle, classier way to get your point across.

Also, the word you are looking for is 'libel', not 'slander'. And that word is only applicable to deliberately false information being spread here, not opinion.

I hope this helps to make your future posts a bit more tame. You as a business owner-unfortunately- don't have the luxury of petty tit for tat nonsense. You have to give the impression of being above it. Anything else would be a detriment to your business and you personally.

@pinwa ,

What an odd response to my post. All I did was state there are a number of Tekton speakers for sale on USAM at the moment, as it was mentioned that there are none for sale here. Yet you jump all over me insinuating I’m calling them ’crap’ , which I never did. Then you accuse me of failing to notice which specific models are for sale. Who cares which models they are, how is that relevant? You compare the ones for sale on USAM with another brand for sale on Hifishark. Yet again, irrelevant. (By the way, 28 Tekton speakers for sale there! Sorry, I failed to notice which brands they are.) You also seem to be under the impression that USAM and Hifishark are ’secret sites’. I don’t even know how to respond to that one. Next time you want to attack someone for stating a simple fact, you may want to think it out a little better.

@corelli ,

You’re correct, I miss counted. 12 for sale at the moment on USAM.

By the way, that's not a criticism. I've never once criticized the sound of Tekton speakers since I've never heard any.

@corelli ,

Ah, I see your point. It was not my intention to infer that. I'm sure the majority of them are so pleased with the speakers that they are selling to move up the line.

They seem to have quite the following. I've never heard them. For me personally, the aesthetics are a big turn off no matter their sound. I wish Tekton no ill will. If Tekton sells one pair or a million, my bills are still the same.

"There is no doubt in my mind 5 out of 10 audiophiles would prefer the sound of a $5,200 pr. Moab over a $50K pr. of B&W 801 D4. The facts are Tekton Design is performing a valuable service to the audiophile community."

Forgot to mention I also don't care for the arrogance of the owner.

Happy Good Friday to all as well as this coming Easter. I spent a part of today ruminating on what’s really important in one’s life.

Stuff like this didn’t make the cut...

You'll also notice the OP set the pot to boiling and got everyone else to stir it.

@deep_333 ,

gaping holes?? Quite the exaggeration. And they're on the bottom of the speaker.

"Hard to fathom a top-notch reviewer not discerning audible jet sounds coupled with Nora Jones and Diana Krall!"

Hard to fathom a top-notch speaker maker purposely drilling 4 leaky holes in his speaker cabinets.

"If you thought it through for 30 seconds you’d discern the advantages to this approach."

And if you thought it through for 30 seconds you'd discern the advantages of not posting anymore.

The response from the owner of Tekton is interesting.

Also, here is an excerpt from the review if you want to skip all the graphs and sciency stuff...

Note the date:

As of this date, April 11, 2024, despite promising otherwise, company has NOT provided any measurements of any kind for this speaker. I have repeatedly asked Eric Alexander, company founder and designer, both in emails and in this thread to do so but he has refused. Yet, he has demanded that I delete the review or he would litigate against me and ask for damages. Until such time that he proves with measurements that he has a case, this review will stand.

It’s an interesting topic but in the end who cares? It is what it is. Everyone has their own approach and let the cards fall where they may. Just all take a chill pill or two and  keep the reviews and all forms of useful information coming. Bring it on! Hifi drama is really pretty insignificant on the grand scale of things. Good listening and cheers!

@mapman ,

Take a day off from being so annoyingly level headed and rational! 😉😄

If the airspeed through the screw holes actually did reach or exceed the speed of sound, I think it would sound like a bottle rocket was accompanying the bass notes. 

I think if the airflow exceeded the speed of sound it would launch the speaker into the ceiling...

@audition__audio ,

Erin is the reviewer. Eric is the owner of Tekton. Eric is the one who threatened Erin with 'litigation' because of a review.

We like and support Erin. Now, as for the other guy...

Global web icon

Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?...

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review - Audio Science Review (ASR) …

Here’s some interesting reading, and yes I know it's Amir.

The measurements are not the point, the graphs are not the point. The point is another bad review gets the " Take that down immediately or I'll sue you!" threat.

I think we're talking about supersonic flying speakers.

I'm finding it hard to keep up...

I posit that if 4 holes can make the speaker go super sonic, then drilling 16 holes in the bottom of it will enable it to attain mach4, thus besting the SR71 in speed.

I wonder if Tekton R&D has tried this? I’ll email him and ask...he seems to be a pretty receptive fellow😁

This could open up a whole new field of aeronautics!

Of course they’d be the ugliest things that have ever flown...

Anybody know how many people can fit in an Ulfberht?

@deep_333 ,

I don’t care for what you just stated and you’re doing the audiophile community a great disservice by omitting certain parameters of the entire discussion. Your off axis comments are not accurately representing the whole picture. There are four holes in your statement that without rectifying will lead to supersonic consequences. I demand you retract your statement or I will start litigation against you first thing in the morning. That of course doesn’t mean I’m suing you as I interpret it. Don’t take this lightly, as I am a genius with several product awards and an honorable mention at my 4th grade science fair. Furthermore, my mom says so...

@deep_333 ,

All kidding aside, the premise of your defense of the Tekton owner’s threats and behavior is just plain weak. It’s ok for him to act the way he did because, you know, a lot of other guys are like that too. And none of you guys are Saints either!! Don’t presume to know how I am. What you call "a bit eccentric and not too socially polished"(way to white wash his behavior) I call an arrogant bully. Your defense doesn’t cut it. Try it in a court of law: " Members of the jury, you should let my client go free because a lot of other guys have done what he did, and none of you are Saints!" Doesn’t fly in a court of law, and it doesn’t fly in the Court of Public Opinion.