NY audio show 2022

This question addressed to audio folks-living close to NYC --- Are you going to audio show NYC September 9-10 , or you think is too small and decided to pass?

128x128bache

I no longer live in NYC but did for many many years. I actually met you at one of the NY audio shows, it must have been 2017 or 2018. Your room sounded incredible, among the best against rooms with speakers that cost 5x more. 

Looking at the currently registered exhibitors, I’m disappointed with how small the offering is. I would still probably go just out of convenience and to be around the community, but my expectations wouldn’t be very high.

Looks like a decent enough line up…PASS, Lampizator, Denafrips, LTA, Playback Designs, Spatial. All interesting.

Between NY and DC, I suspect many are just waiting for the Capital Audio Fest.  It's grown every year.

Hi Greg.  All I have to do is walk to the LIRR!   Round trip Long Beach.  Hell yeah I’ll be there.  

Will you have your speakers on demo?  I’m planning on Saturday.

I’m surprised at how few exhibitors there are, but there are still several I’d be very interested to hear so I’ll likely go.  Quality trumps quantity. 

I don't go to audio shows anymore... Nothing fundamentally new.
I remember a couple of cases.
At one show, two well-known audio journalists had an argument - whose home system sounds better and invited those who wanted to be "trial by jury" ... I had free time and I went.
There was a whole bunch of electronics - boutique brands - Gryphon, Japanese Kondo, Magico, Goldmund, exotic cables ... To be honest - the sound of the systems of each of them I found mediocre - such a sound could be bought for less money ... (or made to work this equipment is better in other combinations).
But I made a good conclusion for myself - you don’t need to read the reviews of these "experts" - you need to think with your own head!

Another time (before covid) I was at a show in Munich ... In one of the rooms I witnessed how an elderly couple wanted to give their son a wedding gift (they even sold a car for this) ... They wanted to deceive them! - I felt sorry for them and I broke that deal ... There was a verbal conflict with the sellers ... When I was already going to the parking lot, four people caught up with me ... three ambals and a seller (a cunning guy - he then ran away).
In my youth, I was an athlete - my hands still remember something, and my security driver is a current winner of international boxing competitions ...
The fight ended ahead of schedule - in the first round ... the guys were left lying on the pavement.
A group of student girls passed by - they said WOW ... it was so nice)))

@serjio  very interesting story.   Big Fish   spending huge money for advertising so be able to hire a ambals  

Disappointing. Bought a 2-day pass, got done in 2 hours.

They had only the low-end versions of Luxman (507xxx) and Pass Labs (XA25) - both used to present speakers (so, they were not the star of the room). Same for Audionote.

I went there to hear setups much superior to what i have at home. Not even close.

Pretty sure I visited all the rooms. 

@bache was that the room in which the lampizator was used?

No lampizatot  ,  Tub power amp by Alexus  Audio class A SAT based on 300 B and big floor stander dark blue from BacheAudio { Brooklyn}

I lived in the city all my life until I moved out east 20 years ago.  I will not go because I don't want to be pulled out of my car and beaten up, have my car stolen, or worse.  The city, under liberal leadership, has turned into a $H!T Hole.  Criminals are roaming the streets with no fear of the law.  

@cerrot You’re talking cr$p by unnecessarily exaggerating how ‘difficult’ it is.

I drove in from Northern NJ. Went to the Spot Hero website. Booked parking spot 1 block away from the audio show ($31 for 5 hours!). Listened to my favorite music and podcasts along the way. Because so many are working from home, reached the spot in 45 minutes of easy driving. The show was a 2 min walk from my parking spot.

I was born in East NY, Brooklyn and lived in the South Bronx. Tough areas don’t scare me. You’re lucky. You’re lucky you weren’t pulled from your car. The media is not showing it (except News Max - check it out). Pairs on scooters will rip your rolex (if you got one) right off your wrist. They have people just walking into restaurants and robbing everyone. This is happening in good areas - Bryant park, midtown, times square. I had to go into the city a few weeks ago (picked up a solution 725 - big day for me) but I would only go in on a Sunday before 10 am. Im just letting people know, as this is in the city, head on swivel! Be diligent. This is worse than it was in the 70s.  It used to be that you just worried walking from the parking lot to where you're going.  Now you have to worry about getting rammed while in your car and then robbed.  Just be careful.  

@cerrot You live in a sad, paranoid world and I truly feel sorry for you.  I went to the show yesterday, met some great people and heard some great music.  Also ate a delicious meal outside with some friends and enjoyed taking in the sights and sounds of the city.  What did you do — sit around watching News Max’s overly-biased reporting to further feed your paranoia?

@cerrot: Every day, thousands of bankers in fancy suits and fat wallets commute from my part of the world to NYC. In the evening, they go out 2-3 nights a week entertaining clients / meeting others at restaurants / bars till late. They all return home without incident - as do my wife and I. Have been doing so for months. As have commuters from Westchester County, and southern CT. We have family (cousins, nephews) who reside in Manhattan and enjoy it.

But I have no interest in weening you away from News Max or whatever you’re watching…

@cerrot you are fed massive lies by NewsMax but I could have told you that after you said you watch NewsMax. 0 facts support what you are believing. 

@cerrot I lived in NYC in the late 80s - early 90s and it’s much cleaner and safer now than it was then.  I don’t mean to pollute your brain with facts and you’re probably more in the “I see what I believe” camp anyway, but from 2000 to 2021 major crimes in NYC have decreased 44%.  Stick that in your NewsMax and smoke it.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloads/pdf/analysis_and_planning/historical-crime-data/seven-major-felony-offenses-2000-2021.pdf

Post removed 

@cerrot That some major crimes are up over the past year doesn’t change the fact that they’re still significantly below where they were 22 years ago.  The fact is that of the 8+ million people who live in NYC plus who knows how many more millions visit every year, the percentage of crime victims is very low.  So while you peddle the falsehood that everyone in NYC is under attack by motor scooters or whatever, the fact and ultimate bottom line is that the likelihood of being a victim of a crime in NYC is small.  So you stay in your cocoon of NewsMax-induced paranoia and have your brand of “fun” while I go enjoy audio shows and everything else NYC has to offer and never been a victim of a crime, ever.  Fear mongering is not cool dude, so if u wanna play that game just play with yourself and your overblown assertions and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy our lives.  Again, I feel sorry for you in your sad and misguided world.

@soix I lived in NYC as a child, and then again from 2007-2018. You’re absolutely right, NYC was way rougher earlier on before Bloomberg’s days. But I’ve heard from many of my friends who are in the city now that this year is an obvious decline of the city vs recent years, and crimes are skyrocketing again. 

@blisshifi Crimes may be up this year, but let’s keep it in perspective — it’s still nowhere near where it was 22 years ago and much less than in the 70s and 80s where hookers and crime ruled the 42nd street area.  Now it’s like a outdoor shopping mall with M&M stores and the like.  Just because crime is up doesn’t mean everyone is a likely a victim of crime or that you should avoid going to NYC because that’s just factually untrue and utter fear mongering.  Run @cerrot crime numbers as a percentage of the sheer number of residents and visitors to NYC, and you’ll see the odds of you being a victim of a crime in NYC is exceedingly small.  Please don’t add further to the wildly overblown paranoia. 

Crimes may be up this year, but let’s keep it in perspective — it’s still nowhere near where it was 22 years ago 

Where I live we go years and years without a murder. I prefer to stay out of the city, thank you very much.

volti audio room _great live sound(downloads?) audionote uk-discovered a new record mola mola-paradigm in mone cables room-excellent we all know who didnt show!

@theoriginalthor1 actually, none of us know who didn't show because nobody told us and at least I wasn't there. Thanks for your quick hit impressions...about the only relevant post in the last page poli-drama. Volti rooms sound good every time I hear them too. Cheers,

Spencer

Back to the topic at hand -- the actual show...

Shoutout to @verdantaudio for putting together a system that (i) is NYC apartment friendly and (ii) sounded good! The other apt-friendly setup I heard -- Harbeth and Luxman -- just did not work for me.

Wilson Benesch stand-mounts with tubed mono blocks. It did not unnaturally spotlight detail and toed the line between being engaging and graceful/easeful. Well done! Wish I could have stayed longer.

I thought it was a good show.  I agree with the Harbeth/Luxman comment.  That room just didn't work for me.  They did play a 45rpm version of the Doors " LA Woman" that was outstanding.  The rooms I really liked were the Volti/Border Patrol and the AudioNote.  

reg19

I listen to 1010 WINS am radio, and watch local news stations like NY1 News. That's where I hear stories and watch stories,  along with video footage, about all the crime in New York City and its boroughs. These media outlets have nothing to do with Newsmax. Almost every day, there are multiple shootings, stabbings, rapes, and attempted rapes, along with robberies and carjacking incidents. They even show photos captured on video of the suspects. Many of the suspects are later captured or turn themselves in because their pictures were shown on the news.

Too expensive & the whole NYC crime and PIA, I'm waiting for Capital Audiofest even with the 3hr drive.

I travel to NYC on average twice a month and go all around the city. NYC is safe like any big city of course there is some crime be aware of your surroundings at all times. That said all this fearmongering is total BS.

I will agree with someone that said he was disappointed in getting a two day pass. It was a small show, but getting to see/hear different equipment was great. 
I liked the Audio Note room- they were playing real music. 
The GT Audio room sounded phenomenal, but I wish they played something real; I’ve got a pet peeve about audiophile music… Same goes for Spatial Audio- and I own them… But what was I hearing?

I could have walked in at the wrong moment, and I understand they need to control the listening environment. Oh well…

It seemed most rooms had a CD player- I didn’t bring any this time, since the last few shows I’ve been to were leaning toward streaming. My fault.

Overall, I’m glad I went, I had a great time, and I hope these shows continue.

@jond I can present statistics til I’m blue in the face, but those who believe what they see on the news as representative of what actually is happening perpetuate their misinformed opinions — it’s called the availability hypothesis. Just because the news loves reporting on blood and crimes doesn’t mean the crime RATE is up much, which is why you and I don’t see or experience crimes when we’re in NYC — the crime RATE factually is still relatively low and is all that matters in the end. It’s like when many people think there are more murders than suicides every year because murders get much more airplay on the news, but the fact is that suicides typically outnumber homicides more than 2 to 1. So if you can’t think for yourself and just take what the news gives you at face value you can be easily misled and then spread your crap info online that further exacerbates something that’s really just false. Of course that so many paranoid folks maybe stayed hunkered down at home out of irrational fear meant I got to enjoy relatively uncrowded demo rooms and completely unfettered access to any manufacturer or distributor I cared to speak and I learned a ton of great info and found a lot of great new music as a result. Hell, I even got to park on the street for free, and yes my car was perfectly fine later that night when I went home.  So I guess paranoia does have its benefits to those of us who can actually think rationally for ourselves rather than being told what to believe. To each his own I guess.

@robert53 You need to get head out of butt.  Highlighting one crime at a time doesn’t mean the CRIME RATE PER PERSON is up significantly or all over the place in NYC.  Do you just not get the concept of percentages?   I think not.  Believe what you see to your own detriment.  Your ignorance is palpable. 

Post removed 

Just prior to Covid I flew from Arizona to attend the NY Audio show thinking it had to be a great show.  Unfortunately, I basically spent about 90 minutes viewing the show.  It was super disappointing.  However, I did enjoy the sites and had a great time while in the city.  I visited the 9/11 museum, ate at Katz's deli and some great restaurants at night.  

It was great to get out to the show. Was a beautiful day in NYC. The show was a 2 minute walk from Penn Station in what I thought was a really nice venue. I saw some old friends, heard some great systems.

For me, the Audio Note room was the best. As someone else said, real music. Amazing. And I got to spend some time speaking with Peter Qvortrup, which was fun in and of itself.

The Bache speakers sounded great.  Wish I had a bit more time to spend in this room.  

I was disappointed by the Harbeth/Luxman room. Surprisingly flat. I have the same speakers at home (30.2xd’s) and at least in my setup they sound much more dynamic. Maybe this was a function of the room setup at the show.

NYC is intimidating to those not familiar and to those that don’t bother to experience it for themselves. And to those who let paranoia rule their lives.

@steveashe Thanks Steve, we have little bit small room in New York Audio show , i bring bigger size LS sounding much more better in large room , but you have chance visited our Brooklyn spot with  better acoustic performance and spend more time .

Confirmation Bias

A confirmation bias is cognitive bias that favors information that confirms your previously existing beliefs or biases.1

No one is completely immune to it.  My favorite is the Autobahn myth.  I've lived and worked years in Europe.  The Autobahn is not completely unregulated.  But when I dispute that widely held belief, all sorts of 'experts' arrive on scene to pontificate about it, they having never lived and worked in Europe.  Hmm.....  Refer to above statement.