NY audio show 2022

This question addressed to audio folks-living close to NYC --- Are you going to audio show NYC September 9-10 , or you think is too small and decided to pass?

128x128bache

Showing 12 responses by soix

I’m surprised at how few exhibitors there are, but there are still several I’d be very interested to hear so I’ll likely go.  Quality trumps quantity. 

@cerrot You live in a sad, paranoid world and I truly feel sorry for you.  I went to the show yesterday, met some great people and heard some great music.  Also ate a delicious meal outside with some friends and enjoyed taking in the sights and sounds of the city.  What did you do — sit around watching News Max’s overly-biased reporting to further feed your paranoia?

@cerrot That some major crimes are up over the past year doesn’t change the fact that they’re still significantly below where they were 22 years ago.  The fact is that of the 8+ million people who live in NYC plus who knows how many more millions visit every year, the percentage of crime victims is very low.  So while you peddle the falsehood that everyone in NYC is under attack by motor scooters or whatever, the fact and ultimate bottom line is that the likelihood of being a victim of a crime in NYC is small.  So you stay in your cocoon of NewsMax-induced paranoia and have your brand of “fun” while I go enjoy audio shows and everything else NYC has to offer and never been a victim of a crime, ever.  Fear mongering is not cool dude, so if u wanna play that game just play with yourself and your overblown assertions and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy our lives.  Again, I feel sorry for you in your sad and misguided world.

@cerrot I lived in NYC in the late 80s - early 90s and it’s much cleaner and safer now than it was then.  I don’t mean to pollute your brain with facts and you’re probably more in the “I see what I believe” camp anyway, but from 2000 to 2021 major crimes in NYC have decreased 44%.  Stick that in your NewsMax and smoke it.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/downloads/pdf/analysis_and_planning/historical-crime-data/seven-major-felony-offenses-2000-2021.pdf

@blisshifi Crimes may be up this year, but let’s keep it in perspective — it’s still nowhere near where it was 22 years ago and much less than in the 70s and 80s where hookers and crime ruled the 42nd street area.  Now it’s like a outdoor shopping mall with M&M stores and the like.  Just because crime is up doesn’t mean everyone is a likely a victim of crime or that you should avoid going to NYC because that’s just factually untrue and utter fear mongering.  Run @cerrot crime numbers as a percentage of the sheer number of residents and visitors to NYC, and you’ll see the odds of you being a victim of a crime in NYC is exceedingly small.  Please don’t add further to the wildly overblown paranoia. 

@jond I can present statistics til I’m blue in the face, but those who believe what they see on the news as representative of what actually is happening perpetuate their misinformed opinions — it’s called the availability hypothesis. Just because the news loves reporting on blood and crimes doesn’t mean the crime RATE is up much, which is why you and I don’t see or experience crimes when we’re in NYC — the crime RATE factually is still relatively low and is all that matters in the end. It’s like when many people think there are more murders than suicides every year because murders get much more airplay on the news, but the fact is that suicides typically outnumber homicides more than 2 to 1. So if you can’t think for yourself and just take what the news gives you at face value you can be easily misled and then spread your crap info online that further exacerbates something that’s really just false. Of course that so many paranoid folks maybe stayed hunkered down at home out of irrational fear meant I got to enjoy relatively uncrowded demo rooms and completely unfettered access to any manufacturer or distributor I cared to speak and I learned a ton of great info and found a lot of great new music as a result. Hell, I even got to park on the street for free, and yes my car was perfectly fine later that night when I went home.  So I guess paranoia does have its benefits to those of us who can actually think rationally for ourselves rather than being told what to believe. To each his own I guess.

@robert53 You need to get head out of butt.  Highlighting one crime at a time doesn’t mean the CRIME RATE PER PERSON is up significantly or all over the place in NYC.  Do you just not get the concept of percentages?   I think not.  Believe what you see to your own detriment.  Your ignorance is palpable. 

@bache Yes, your room sounded really good despite it being too small.  Not sure why you had one speaker with the grill on though — seemed very strange to me.  Spatial Audio and LTA room was another standout to me, along with GT Audio.  Although the show was relatively small and limited, what was there was very good and in a way was better than the bigger NYC shows because access to rooms, manufacturers, etc. was much better and more intimate.  Just glad to have an audio show back in NYC!!!

i disagree with some statement that grills affect to sound.

@bache I’ll completely defer to you and your considerable expertise, but it really does fly in the face of logic that putting fabric in front of drivers doesn’t affect the sound, especially in the higher frequencies.  I know some manufacturers design their speakers to be used with grills, but they’re in the minority IME.  That said, I noticed no imbalance in the sound of your room, which sounded great BTW especially given the room you had to work with.  Definitely one of the better rooms I heard. 

All I know is that crime is rampant in many places in this country. I have never seen anything like this in my lifetime. I could list hundreds. Your ignorance is hysterical,.

@robert53 That you can’t seem to wrap your head around the difference between the crimes reported on TV or the internet versus the actual crime RATE is as hysterical as it is sad.  You clearly see what you believe and lack the ability to think for yourself.  Live happily in your utter ignorance.  Me?  I’ll keep going to NYC and enjoying all it has to offer while you shelter in place and live in your own self-constructed and utterly irrational fear.  Enjoy yourself in your bunker of ignorance. 

@robert53 Doesn’t matter where you live.  You still can’t comprehend the difference between what’s reported on the news and the crime RATE.  Get a clue man.  It’s simple math and you clearly don’t get it at all.