Magico Ultimate III - $700,000 Speakers

For a pair of Magico Ultimate III, they ask for 700 thousand dollars, and five-way systems with horn design are hidden in aluminum cases with a height of 230 centimeters. They reportedly require 10 amplifiers, and in terms of technical innovation, it is worth noting that a highly sensitive compression driver is located in the throat of each horn.

paulherry

I could not pay $700k for speakers. Even if I were Bill Gates with his kind of cash.

@erik_squires wrote:

I think you wrote a lot to my simple point:  Multi-way, active crossovers do not in anyway guarantee a significant audible improvement even when done well.  That a 5-way, active crossover system is not really a selling point so much as a design choice. 

Having said that, it sure simplifies things as a crossover designer to work this way.

The 5-way approach is indeed a design necessity for what Magico has set out to accomplish, not a selling point. You keep insisting active multi-way is no guarantee for "significant audible improvement," yet whoever claimed multiway is exactly that? No approach guarantees audio nirvana, but this is a seriously scaled-up system aiming for a fairly authentic reproduction in vital areas, partially horn-loaded at that, and thus a bunch of cross-overs come into play. Making it an actively configured endeavor only helps, as you acknowledge yourself, and from here on it's up to Magico to work their magic with the integration. 

A 5-way speaker system is a lot of cross-overs and driver segments to handle, in vital frequency ranges at that - that's certainly where the complexity part comes into play and getting it all to mesh well, let alone seamlessly. The active platform per se on the other hand is not what I'd regard "complex," that is to say: similar amps could be chosen above the "power region," and the active XO should make the integration part that much easier (and, I'd expect: better sounding) compared to a passive approach. 

@phusis 

I think you wrote a lot to my simple point:  Multi-way, active crossovers do not in anyway guarantee a significant audible improvement even when done well.  That a 5-way, active crossover system is not really a selling point so much as a design choice. 

Having said that, it sure simplifies things as a crossover designer to work this way.

@kingharold wrote:

Magico calls these horn speakers, but they are actually hybrid speakers that include horns.  Horn bass is the icing on the cake.  I would prefer Living Voice Vox Olympians with horn subs for about the same money.

Indeed, the design label "horn speakers" is thrown about in a laxly fashion and yet one that by its strict definition should imply all-horns, when what's typically at hand is horn hybrids.

Haven't heard the Magico's, but as an outset - not least due to the Elysian Lab horns - I would go with the Vox Olympian setup. The wood work here is also exquisite, an aesthetic in stark contrast to the rather steely/sterile look of the Magico's. Mr. Weiss' of OMA's Imperia all-horn speaker system might also fit the bill here, and cheaper at that. 

@paulherry wrote/quoted:

For a pair of Magico Ultimate III, they ask for 700 thousand dollars, and five-way systems with horn design are hidden in aluminum cases with a height of 230 centimeters. They reportedly require 10 amplifiers ..

A 5-way active system translates into 5 stereo amps, or 10 channels. 

.. and in terms of technical innovation, it is worth noting that a highly sensitive compression driver is located in the throat of each horn.

I wonder what the "innovative" part is here - that they're highly sensitive? 🙄

@erik_squires wrote:

I wish I could say that a complicated multi-way system would be stunningly better sounding than a conventionally amplified system.  They are not.

By "conventionally amplified," do you mean that merely a single stereo amplifier is used with passively configured speakers? 

A 5-way speaker system is a lot of cross-overs and driver segments to handle, in vital frequency ranges at that - that's certainly where the complexity part comes into play and getting it all to mesh well, let alone seamlessly. The active platform per se on the other hand is not what I'd regard "complex," that is to say: similar amps could be chosen above the "power region," and the active XO should make the integration part that much easier (and, I'd expect: better sounding) compared to a passive approach. 

In a fittingly sized environment such a well-integrated setup should - by way of the physics accommodated, the quality of construction and (hopefully) overall implementation - make for an impressive sounding and emotionally charged experience with live-like dynamics, scale, etc. 

I wish I could say that a complicated multi-way system would be stunningly better sounding than a conventionally amplified system.  They are not.

Magico calls these horn speakers, but they are actually hybrid speakers that include horns.  Horn bass is the icing on the cake.  I would prefer Living Voice Vox Olympians with horn subs for about the same money.

If Jay toured the Magico facility and recommends then I'm sure people will place a 2nd mortgage on their house 🤣🤭😜

It's OK, friend roxy54.... *G*

We all have different goals, and have gone through much to arrive here in our own manner and means.  Nothing much to hide, or much of a reason to do so. ;)

Btw, for the mental health devotee' in our audience, in no circumstance did I lose consciousness in any of the episodes I referred to above.

In one case, I knocked the other kid out cold (accidental head butt in a flag football skirmish).  The coach approached me and ask me to try out for the school team.

"No, if I can hurt someone like that I'd rather not.  Obviously one could get really hurt in a real game..."  And so much for an NFL career...never big, heavy, or strong enough anyway. *mock tsk*

@asvjerry 

Well, all that I can say is, I still think that you're a nice guy, but I'm sorry that I mentioned it.

I've read from some that my commentary (and just straight-up BS *L* ) can be hard to follow, to which I'll offer an " 'cuse me" and be happy to recue and 'splain self.

Without going into how many times I've had a significant blow to the head (not self-imposed nor by others, they just happened while looking the other way), I'm more than pleased to be able to communicate without resorting to ASL or the like.

However....I seemed to be 'gifted' with being able to think 'outside' of that box that gets talked about a lot.  It appears to be self-imposed, imho....

So I have a tendency to ignore it....

Given druthers (whatever they may be..?) and the income of a legal nature to excess upon it:

An omni 7.1 system that would track where I and others are within a given space, and adjust the response, balance, and volume to suit..
The 'tech' is here already...just the 'ap' and hardware to attain such is 'pending'...somewhere, and outside of my mind in the hands of one or more that could.

Something not 'brand' limited would be nice...*wistful S*

My audio 'puter already has 'things to do' in my system...why not more? ;)

@roxy54 ....True, I’m basically nice overall. The fringes are a bit tattered, but likely true for most of us in some fashion. *S*

Xlations:

1st sentence = Those richer than most of us, esp. self. The last part infers that one hopes that those who buy such speakers have the background to really appreciate them. Otherwise, they’re just ego fluff.... :(

2nd posit is just a wail from my inner self as to what I’d employ 700K$ to accomplish. I’d assume we’re also of that group in the main.

Currently, I could ’upscale’ our (spouse & self) considerations on what we could add to the house we’re in the midst of putting on .5 acre that we own on the edge of the Grand Parkway here in WNC. Not a terrific view, but proximity counts (location, location, etc.).

A new or newish car, or truck for our business...

A set or more of my diy Walsh of a more ’finished appearance’ that one might want a pair or two. Limited production, signed, numbered, dated...lifetime warranty (mine, for now) with the caveat that blown due to over-enthusiasm (I can tell, having done so) effects and is stated in that warranty....

I'll work on not dying in the near future, as it's in my best interests as well...😏

However as wishes being compared to fish, it’s all just pipe dream fodder... ;)

Better? ;)

Happy Sunday, J

@asvjerry ,

I think you're a nice guy, but I sometimes wonder about how your thought processes work. Reading your last post, I can't make much sense of what you're trying to say.

Desaun Watson got $250m guaranteed from the browns, maybe he'll put a pair in his pool room. I bet they're great for background music.

@lucky_doggg7 ....some Saudi whomever, a nuevo riche with a need to flaunt, one with more $ that one prays has 'ears' at all...

Give me that instead, and I could do some pretty amazing things that would include a whole lot more than just 'that', would include a different sort of 'that' as well....

.....however one can afford 'that', wonderful as it may be....or not. *G*

1,100 pounds in weight?  4,000 watt subwoofer amplifier?  PT Barnum said it, there is a sucker born every minute, or I like: a fool and his money are easily parted.  C'mon - who the hell is going to buy that monstrosity? 

So many old haters on these forums.  Im not really a Magico fan, but these are my favorite speakers ever made.  Maybe one day.

I am not satisfied with the output of my BoseWave radio, so I am going to disconnect the speakers and connect these  Magicos instead.

"They'll be on sale with 75% off next month or so"

Huh? What sense does that make?

Post removed 
Post removed 

Even if you could afford them, I think that the idea of needing ten amplifiers is a real turn-off. So complex.

You could run those with a low powered SET.  16 ohms, 114dB sensitivity...   Someone with 700K+ to spare probably would run them with something much too powerful... and very expensive.