Stereophile review of the $30,000 tekton speakers

We have had many discussions/arguments over tekton speakers in the past, mainly involving a couple posters who thought their $4000 tektons sounded better than the highest price Wilson’s and other high budget speakers.

In the latest Stereophile magazine, they did a review of the $30,000 tekton’s. In this Steteophile issue, they rate these $30,000 tekton’s as class B. When you look at the other speakers that are in the class B section, you will notice most of these speakers range in price from $5000-$8000. So it looks like you have to spend $30,000 on a pair of tekton’s to equal a pair of $5000 Klipsch Forte IV’s sound quality. 
If I compare these $30,000 class B tekton’s, to some of the class A speakers, there are some class A speakers for 1/2 the price (Dutch & Dutch 8C, Goldenear triton reference), or other class A speakers that are cheaper (Magico A5, Kef blade 2).

p05129

Showing 15 responses by audition__audio

Then why use terms like "blow the bucks"? Point is if you dont listen you are in no position to comment on big buck components.

I dont disagree with deep's comments about the room, but I dont recall anyone suggesting a million dollar system be placed in an average room.

The tekton guy needs to stay out of these discussions. Have no interest in any of his speakers but now I wouldnt buy a pair just due to his demeanor. And yes I have heard them. Sound just like you would think given the design and the parts. Put them in the same category as Schiit products. Decent values but certainly not giant killers. 

A case can be made that any speaker with great swings in impedance is not a well designed speaker as a whole. Yes there are solid state amps that will drive a 2 ohm load, but why limit the user to solid state and why design in this fashion? Makes little sense to make a 95 db efficient speaker that goes down to 2 ohms. Attract the tube crowd with high efficiency and then alienate them with poor impedance performance. Check out the impedance swings in much of the Wilson line. Funny thing about Wilson is that the best I have heard them sound was when being driven by a low powered tube amp.

Of course you are correct. The problem, at least from my perspective, is singing accolades ad nauseum regarding the latest and greatest giant killer components. This never ends up being the actual case. Reviewers are among the worst in this regard. 

Well this statement is a bit concerning. So with each driver change you also do the requisite reengineering often required? Doesnt inspire much confidence. 

You can call it product development, but the fact remains that in order to get the most from each type of driver you must do a great deal of modification to the crossover. This is not a one size fits all scenario. I remain skeptical but then again I am not your target consumer.  

Oh my goodness what a pathetic video. Dude you are not doing yourself any favors. Why you cant step back and see this is beyond me.

Perhaps but inexpensive boxes are often problematic enclosures. In many cases more expensive boxes presuppose some additional processes to reduce resonance. There is often much more to an expensive cabinet  than what is actually visible. 

Simple boxes are simple boxes regardless of who is designing them. Right angles, parallel surfaces, large speakers fronts, etc all involve simpler manufacturing techniques that are less expensive to make. They affect the sound and are done not because they are better but because they are cheaper. Not surprising considering the retail prices of Tekton speakers. The only reason I am still commenting on this thread is because of the responses of the owner and that ridiculous video. 

I support the little guy if he makes a good product and doesnt act like a tool. Is Erin the one who is so stressed out? I thought that Eric was the victim? I am so confused about which adult male I am supposed to feel sorry for.  We are just generations away from a society with a 60% suicide rate.  

Another point not to be missed is the fact that if Eric continues to behave in this fashion, the company will be out of business regardless of the quality of the product. 

After the Eric video everything became very clear. Classic case of any number of disturbing qualities were portrayed. As far as I am concerned Erin really isnt of much interest in this story. 

Once again a member makes a universal judgement about value based on his perspective. Doesnt help your case when you use "my world" and "blow the bucks" in the same paragraph. You admit that you see no need to listen to six figure speakers so you dont know and should remain silent. The ideal Tekton customer I should think.