Up to $4000US tower speakers for Jazz and Classical Music

Hello All!

My wife and I are musicians who happen to also love listening to music! Last 3 years we have used a pair of Q acoustics Concept 40 tower speakers powered (now) by and Audiolab 6000A integrated. We listen to 90% of our music on CDs (Audiolab CD transport) or vinyls (Audiotechnica turntable). Mostly jazz and classical music in our roughly 53 square meters (550 sq ft) living room. Some other speakers came and went but we have so far liked the Q acoustics more than any other. We like their honesty with a tinge of warmness, but they are also engaging, open sounding, dynamic, airy! We love how chamber music sounds on them: string quartets, piano trios (jazz or classical), voices, big bands, etc... but we do miss a bit of that lower octave the Q acoustics simply don't have. A friend lent me a pair of Elac Adante AS-61 but did no like them much. lots of transient attack (which was good for percussion instruments) but it somehow changed the color/timbre of other instruments. I work also as a mixing engineer and have a pair of Neumann KH310 monitors in my treated room so I can say I'm picky with sound. Of course we don't want the analytical sound of the Neumanns in our living room (completely different beasts) but we want speakers to still be honest, but engaging, open, dynamic, airy. We are looking for a pair of tower speakers around $4000 that will provide us with a more believable orchestral crescendo, pianissimo, fortissimo, and that lower octave of a double bass the Concept 40s can't provide (by the way, we don't want a sub; tried several and simply did not like the overall presentation). We are looking at possibilities in Crutchfield, Music Direct or Amazon in case we need to return them (we live in the countryside and can't audition any speakers nowhere near!). Our list includes: Klipsch Forte III, Definitive Technology Demand D17, Kef R7, JBL HDI-3800, Dali Opticon 8MK2, Revel F206 and B&W 703 S2 or 704 S2. They will have to be efficient as the Audiolab does not have a ton of power! Any suggestions, greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

langelo68

BTW as a Vandersteen owner I can tell you that the 2CE sounds best when one gets the right placement in the room and recognizing they are time and phase accurate speakers. The front face (top) of the speaker has to be tilted back by adjusting the feet. Once this is done, the speakers really do sound better. Audio advice sells bases for these speakers that make it even easier and add a really decent stand for the speaker(s).

Post removed 
Post removed 

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G.  (this exact model- no others)  

Read the reviews!    $3200, stereophile Class A. 

I wholeheartedly agree. They do need to be broken in though.

@langelo68

Wish we could extend our budget to the Q Acoustics Concept 500….

There are several “used” Q Acoustics Concept 500 on hifishark.com within your budget.

Otherwise Tektons and Goldenear are great options.
Make sure your 50wpc can drive your speaker choice

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G.  (this exact model- no others)  

Read the reviews!    $3200, stereophile Class A.  

Thanks again to ALL! There are so many wonderful suggestions, is quite overwhelming. It seems Tekton is definitely an option, as they offer returns and their speakers are very sensitive. The Tektons Moab some of you have suggested are out of the question as they are too big and imposing. The Double Impact or Double Impact SE are options. The Ohm Walsh 2000 is also interesting, as well as Vandersteen 2CE Signature III that Music Direct offers. We might look further into the BMR towers and see if they offer a trial period. Golden Ear Triton Two and Three have high sensitivity so will also find out  if they offer a trial period. We are also considering the PMC twenty.24 available in "The music room" and more conventional options as the B&W 703 S2 or Dynaudio Evoke 50. Wish we could extend our budget to the Q Acoustics Concept 500, as we are pretty sure we would like them a lot, but that's not happening. Again thanks to all for your input and passion!

OP and his wife. Let us all know what you ended up getting. Hope it suits you both..

We last saw the OP on the 13th. I think he may by now have received enough suggestions.

Overlooked truths about Magnepans: 1) As a line source dipole their power doesn't fall off like the usual inverse square law, 2X distance = -6dB level, it's more like -3dB so while still not efficient, in a 550ft2 room they will fill it better than a monopole box. 2) Properly bi-amped with a high-pass/low-pass crossover you will gain up to 6dB dynamic range (equal to 4X the amp power) just from splitting the load. No magic, It's in the math of adding signals. 

A pair of REL r/7 and Magnepan 1.7s can likely be sourced for $4K. Your concern over subwoofer 'presentation' is well founded. Many subs are designed for high SPL boom, not definition. REL doesn't hide this, they make different lines of subs for home theater and hi-fi.

Below Magnepans, they're all boxes, some very good, and I would consider KEF, Monitor Audio, and Golden Ear. I think you'd tire of the Klipsch lack of LF  control and 'blattiness', but not their dynamics. 

...  by the way adding subs is not only to go to the lower end frequencies but also to give some oxygen to your amp who can do a much better job with the mediums and high frequencies. The blend between the main speakers and the sub(s) being the main issue (IMHO). 

... Apertura with ribbon tweeters are also worth listening.

And why not staying with Q Acoustics and upgrade to the Concept 500?

+1 for Magnepan speakers & one or two subs.

Mesmerizing for those who love Jazz and Classical Music.

@jcatdcat    Hope you did not think I was suggesting the Moabs are out of his budget.  I was referring to suggestions that are thousands beyond his upper limit.  

Your suggestion of the Moabs, from everything I have read, is excellent and I am sure they would check off all the boxes for the OP.   

Probably the least helpful suggestions are repeated plugs for Magnepans.  Yes, they are very nice speaker that enjoy a large room--but not with the OP's amp. Not a knock on the amp. It is just an inappropriate pairing

Tekton- Moabs are going to Very Hard to beat $4,800..

I have the Tekton- Double Impact se, I upgraded from the Seas Pendragon’s both of which are outstanding speakers..

I have three amps I rotate, (EL34 PP-22 watts, 300B SE- 8 watts, and solid state amp - 75 watts).. They all sound great in their own way on Tektons..

Almost any speaker from Tekton will work well for you, but I would recommend buying something from the $2,000 range and up..

VOLTI AUDIO, is the only other speakers I recommend,OVER the Tekton brand..

They are more expensive.. I recommend ALL of the VOLTI audio models, they are superior to almost anything I’ve heard.. 

Corelli... That's why, outside of their phenomenal sound quality, I suggest looking at the Moab or at least the Double Impact from Tekton. Neither needs a Sub, at all, shipping is free and more often than not, there is no sales tax added,

On a $4K pair of speakers, taxes will be $280 to $400, and shipping of anything of any size with drivers to meet their bass requirements is going to be $600-$800 in addition to that at this point. In short, a good $4K pair of speakers with tax and shipping is going to be between $4,800 and $5,200

So the Moab at $4730 or even the Double Impact at $3,150 is a great deal. There are also (7) standard colors to choose from as well as making it a custom color for an additional $45 (obviously more if you want an exotic finish which they are happy to do). Just some food for thought.

Doesn't anyone read what the OP wrote!

He likes his amp.  

He listed a budget.

He does NOT want subs.

In less than a month you will be able to buy the new Zu Union 6 Supreme, starting at $3899. 99db/w/m, 30Hz - 28kHz bandwidth. Non-fussy setup and placement. Vital, vivid, toneful, dynamic, articulate, agile, expansive sound. 60 Days to return if you don't prefer them.

Phil

Find a pair of Yamaha NS-1000M and recap with good capacitors. Total cost around $1500.  

+1 for GoldenEar Triton 1 speakers, with built-in subwoofers.

I listen mostly to classical music, and these speakers fill the room with the entire orchestra including the double basses playing an octave below the cellos. 
‘Try to find a used pair.

I’ve had my Moabs for 2 years now as well and I’ve owned a number of different brands and models over the years including Vandersteen’s, Martin Logan’s and SDA’s. I’ve also auditioned many higher end pieces including Wilson, Focal, Avalon and too many others to list. My musical taste is very broad, but if you’re looking for a piece that provides something truly life like and easy to listen to the Moabs for $4.5K are, my opinion, your best choice in anything ranging up to as much as $35K perhaps $40K. The dynamics of the mids and high frequencies are absolutely phenomenal. The bottom end is detailed, powerful and dynamic with the right amount of "punch" in a crescendo without overpowering the mids and highs coming at you at the same time. Yes, admittedly, as it is so often noted, they are not the "pretty" or "artsy" looking units like many others that would berate them for not being so, but... I listen to music. I don’t sit and look at the speakers in awe of their visual greatness. I am in awe of what these fantastic creatures do. Eric Alexander has done a phenomenal job in providing us the opportunity to have and hear such marvelous aural wonders. Shipping is included in the price. If you live in the right state there is no sales tax. Great value and you simply can’t go wrong.

Oh, and by the way... No Subs needed. At all.

After two years with them, I remain smitten with my Tekton Moabs. They go down to 20Hz and are very efficient, as you require, but much more importantly, they sound like real music. Even recordings with huge dynamics, like a Steve Smith drum solo, or The Snow Maiden performed by the Minnesota Orchestra, are lifelike, with the appropriate scale and precision. The Tektons do subtle and subdued, they do loud and boisterous, and everything in between. Transient speeds are unheard-of good especially considering that these are dynamic drivers you’re listening to, not panels. The Moabs are big and not especially pretty, but if you can get over that, they should provide years of outright joy. The price tag was four grand two years ago, $4,700 now. I’ve heard speakers that sound better, but not under 25,000 dollars.

I wouldn't shy away from anything created by Jim Salk or Dennis Murphy.  Years ago I had the pleasure of hearing the Ellis 1801 speakers at a co-workers house. They sounded fantastic.  Mr. Salk has a floor standing version in a transmission line cabinet.  I would talk to him or Dennis before I made any purchases.

Other than lacking some low end, it sounds like you’re quite happy with your current speakers. If so, why not just add a subwoofer (or 2)? I have 2, REL T/7xs in my main system with Magnepan 1.7is and 1, T/5x in my family room with KEF LS50s. In both systems, the sound is seamless and I have all the low end I could ask for. The great thing with REL subs is that they don’t require a separate feed from a pre-amp. You simply run the cables from your amp’s speaker outputs.

Their T/x series are priced from $700 to $1500. I just checked their website and they offer free shipping and a 60 day trial period, with free shipping back to them. I’ve tried a number of different subs over the years, but I always heard the sub as being separate, as they never integrated well with my main speakers. I don’t hear that with the RELS.

Paul McGowan of PS Audio, wrote this about REL connections.

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/subwoofer-connections/

sorry wrong direction you love your speakers why don’t you upgrade to an even better amp?

the next class of amps 3 to 5k should get you some impressive gains in overall performance

if I were you I would visit a local dealer and borrow a few amps

While they're not a new model from a dealer offering free return, I think you could do a lot worse than the Dunlavy III's that are currently listed for sale on Audiogon.  I am in no way affiliated with the seller, but I have had Dunlavy II's in the past, driven to great effect by relatively inexpensive Rotel amplification.  They are efficient, have extended bass, and do well with all forms of music.

Happy Listening,

Dawgfish

Thanks again for the incredible input! no plans to upgrade the Audiolab as we just upgraded the amp (by the way, we find the synergy between the Audiolab amp and its CD transport to be excellent). We are aware it does not have a lot of power but we are amazed at how good the Q Acoustics sound with the Audiolab. Sooo much better! We will definitely need a pair of efficient (high sensitivity) speakers with the Audiolab, so Magnepans (for what I’ve read), unfortunately, will not work for us.

to spend 4 grand on a pair of better speakers to play jazz/classical, yet have the choice limited by an audiolab integrated amplifier power output is unwise, in my opinion - especially as the 6000a has pre outs to drive a power amp.

Sage advice indeed. You say that you have a 550 sq ft room. Depending on the dimensions that could be 20’ x 25’. Based on the room size, genre of music, the fact that you like a tinge of warmth, and robust bass; I would have to echo the recommendation for the new Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signature III.

The specs say it can be driven with as little as 40wpc, but I would probably want to upgrade your power amp at some point. And at $3607.00 retail (with stands) meets your budget objective as well.

Also recommend that you give John Rutan at Audio Connection a call. He is an expert on all things Vandersteen and will definitely point you in the right direction. 

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!
- Joe

I would definitely recommend GoldenEar as well. 

triton 2’s are possibly in your budget.

Maybe consider getting subs to go with the speakers you already have. A pair would get you there. 

For $7K you can get the best speakers on the world market 

KMD Orchestalls Loudspeakers 

"The world's first speakers that sounds like LIVE MUSIC" 

They should be back at Axpona 2023 Show next year ! 

Made in South Korea

LOTS of great Speakers in this thread!  May I make a suggestion?  Check out Bache Audio in Brooklyn, NY.  Greg Belman treated me right and a few years ago I had him build me a custom set of Tribecca-001's.  Will post a picture of these beautiful speakers and I am 3000 miles away and went on a recommendation - SO glad I did.  Greg worked with me every step of the way and I reached out asking questions about his white pair of Tribecca's and we worked out a deal and now I have a pair that are painted in a beautiful Champagne glossy color!  I know the Tribeccas's are above the 4000 mark, but I believe Greg has many other options, including the Metro and lots others.  I primarily listen to two channel listening and don't even hook up my Revel sub, these speakers sound so awesome with Jazz, Rock, Classical and have tons of bass and the voices are surreal!  I plan to have Greg build me another set, possibly with a single ten inch or dual tens possibly in the future.  Please give him a try or reach out to me for further questions, etc.  I LOVE my speakers and can't wait to try some others in his line.  My Tribecca-001 have dual 8 inch drivers and the best tweeter I have heard.  I have tried these speakers with my 80w NAD up to my 400w Parasound.  I currently have them hooked up to my Rotel 300 watt per channel two channel amp.  Love these speakers.   -Brett (Tucson)

https://bacheaudio.com/

https://www.facebook.com/www.bacheaudio/

Try Sandy Gross's GoldenEar technology Triton series active speakers.  I personally do not have them since they were above my budget but during my own search for speakers I had listened to them and they sounded absolutely fantastic.

Furthermore.... you do not need a separate subwoofer since those are built into the towers.

Thanks again for the incredible input! no plans to upgrade the Audiolab as we just upgraded the amp (by the way, we find the synergy between the Audiolab amp and its CD transport to be excellent). We are aware it does not have a lot of power but we are amazed at how good the Q Acoustics sound with the Audiolab. Sooo much better! We will definitely need a pair of efficient (high sensitivity) speakers with the Audiolab, so Magnepans (for what I’ve read), unfortunately, will not work for us.

to spend 4 grand on a pair of better speakers to play jazz/classical, yet have the choice limited by an audiolab integrated amplifier power output is unwise, in my opinion - especially as the 6000a has pre outs to drive a power amp

I agree with twoleftears in recommending a pair of BMR towers.  I just bought them.  With shipping, they were pennies under your limit.

Dennis sells them directly so there is little chance you will find them in any showroom, audiophile or mass market.  You can listen to mine, or maybe Dennis has a small showroom.  Certainly ask him about a return policy.  You won't need it, but ask.

I'd try to find a used Magnepan 3.7i or 1.7i and add a sub. I listen to lots of jazz on mine and it's like you are there.

Happy listening

Good luck. I note the latest incarnation is the 8th version Vandersteen 2CE Signature III. $3607/pair. You have a room large enough though for some Maggies, and Ohm though, if you can pull them away from the walls. Nearly everyone (at least many reviewers) seem to be in love with open baffle speakers like the M3 Sapphire or X4 from Spatial Audio regarding their sonic advantages over box speakers. I can see why, but I could never put such large heavy speakers 5 or more feet (more like 8 feet ) into my room and leave them.

The idea one guy had above of taking a day off and going somewhere to HEAR some of these for yourself is a worthy one, and would save a lot of possible regret and second guessing later on.

And as another noted, your room is large.  Don't discount a well set up sub-woofer.

Nice room size!

Suggest Magnepan 1.7 or larger for the jazz and classical department… tough to go wrong. Can easily add a little bass (if needed to suit your taste)  with a REL 5 series sub or two after the Magnepan have had a chance to perform on their own 

Just my $0.02.

Good luck

Take a look at Bache Audio. I have had Quad ESLs and even Shahinian speakers, which are tailor made for classical music. I prefer my Bache Tribeca’s for both Blue Note jazz and Mahler symphonies. 

Thanks again for the  incredible input! no plans to upgrade the Audiolab as we just upgraded the amp (by the way, we find the synergy between the Audiolab amp and its CD transport to be excellent). We are aware it does not have a lot of power but we are amazed at how good the Q Acoustics sound with the Audiolab. Sooo much better! We will definitely need a pair of efficient (high sensitivity) speakers with the Audiolab, so Magnepans (for what I've read), unfortunately, will not work for us.

There are many good speakers in that price range especially if you go used. What you also have to consider, in my opinion, is whether or not the speakers (whatever it is you set your eyes on) are a good match with your current amplifier and what your plans are for upgrading the amp. 
You may have to up your budget a bit. Some speakers to consider on a used market are Sonus Faber Sonetto VIII, Focal Kanta 2. Your amp might just be borderline enough for these. Magnepan are nice but will need a beefier amp than your Audiolab. 

Magnepans or a great set of Quad ESL's

Sometimes good Quads come up for sale on Audiogon and the other audio site.  

For Jazz and Classical..... you will be stunned.  

most lifelike jazz I have ever played.  I have a several thousand Jazz LP collection. Wife is a true classical enthusiast.  

If you get a chance... you should SERIOUSLY put quads on your list.  Either a set of old school 57's that have been restored properly..  or a set of 2805's or newer.  

Read the thousands of reviews of how great Quads are for Jazz and Classical.  

Magnepans are also quite nice for those genre's

I also have an extensive collection of stringed music; swing, bluegrass, folk, etc.  Voices and instruments are sublime with these speakers.

There is a set of quads for sale right now on audiogon... a bit out of your price range.  but sometimes they come up for less.

And good magneplaners are definitely priced in your range.  your room would work great with these.

imho

sailboat