2023 Audio System Wish List

I’ve been doing this for years now- and it’s time for our 2023 wish list!

in 2022, I put together a very effective bedroom system- Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 speakers on Monoprice stands driven by an NAD 316BEE V2 integrated amp, fed by a Bluesound Node (n130). As a result of moving my node out of my main system I bought an Auralic Aries G1 for streaming in my main system.

My main goal for 2023 is to explore and add more music. Streaming has been a fantastic way of exploring new to me music, and in some instances after streaming an album, I also wound up buying it on vinyl.

What’s your audio goal for 2023. A new preamp? A DAC? Music?

Enjoy 🥂

128x128zavato

Baby steps with a new KEF Blade Meta 2 driven by the single box Peachtree GAN1 (amp arriving this week). In late 2023 or 2024 I hope to get a bigger amp and another Benchmark LA4 preamp for these speakers. It's been a decade of waiting to finally do this.

Nothing for me in 2023. Not a job hopper nor an equipment hopper. Maybe some tweaks here or there. 

I have a great rig now.

I have about 10 albums to buy from the 80s.

Maybe a CD player.  I got synergy now :)

Post removed 

I love this idea of an Audio Hit List.

I have a very satisfying system but...

I did put in an order for a pair of the

$995 LRS+ speakers.  I figure they

will not last too long due to the form factor

hassle, but I also am dreaming about 

a 15" Dual Concentric, active XO, DIY build. 

The drives alone run $1,800 each

but WTF, gotta try it!!

Next???

I am having a preamp built,  that's my last piece to the puzzle for a while.   Maybe another set of DH Labs RCA cables.....

Great thread! So here’s my wishlist:

-Sennheiser Momentum 4 wireless headphones

-Possible new headphone amp (for my other headphones)

-Music: New Order’s Low Life Definitive Box Set (vinyl)

It's tough when you've reached the end-of-the-line. Really content with my "final" system. My only need/want is a tube amp for my second system. Been dreaming of a 300B amp with WE tubes, but may settle for a nice Class- A SS amp (Sugden A21?). Purchased Klipsch Forte 4 specifically for their versatility (and because you can play them VERY loud without damage -except to my ears.). 

Listen More, systems done.

I'm retired, and house bound, more time than ever: but I got an infection in my foot, got in the bone, that's no joke. Now I am on antibiotics for 6 weeks, 2 weeks left. (pressurized bag in your pocket, for 2 hours each day, not the biggest hardship).

13 days in hospital earlier, you don't realize how much strength you lose, I got home, fell down twice, that bummed me out. Even your ankles get weak, lose your balance, no ankle strength to prevent the fall.

Excercise, got some strength, still been bummed out. look at my system, lp's scattered on the table, eh, watch stupid TV until my ass hurts. Read some.

When friends come, typically 1/week, a listening we go, but holidays, people are with their families.

I inherited 4,000 LP's, lots I want to play, and if unliked, give or sell. Just lost my energy, plus gotta keep my foot up a lot.

Not wanting pity, but it feels good to unload!

@elliottbnewcombjr You'll get through it. Spend some time thinking about what you want to do after you've recovered!

I will be looking to upgrade my transport.

Possibly have Aric upgrade my Aric Audio Special preamp. 

I am going to purchase the new Taket Live supertweeter, want to see if it will take the SQ up further vs the Batpro 2s I presently have. Also, I am going to buy at least 1 set of Neodio Origine B2 Acoustic Purifiers. I have 2 sets of the original B1s and use them as footers under 2 of my integrated amps, in both cases a noticeable improvement in SQ. There's a review of the B2s by Roy Gregory on Gy8 if you have any interest in checking them out.

Not sure that I really want to go down the new amp route but if i do probably will look at either a Neodio Origine A2 integrated amp, or a Circle Labs A200 integrated amp.

facten,

Interesting on the Taket super tweeter. Is it available in the USA?

ozzy

If I had endless $$$$ which I don’t, I would love to try a pair of the Klipsch Cornwall IV and a pair of Legacy Audio speakers in my second system.  I would love the ability to roll in different speakers regarding the mood I am in.  I am currently waiting on some test results and if I do not have cancer, I am going to buy a 55 inch OLED TV for the living room.  I am leaning towards a Sony as they have been making OLED’s for years or a Samsung.  Our Samsung LED TV which is 7 years old would go upstairs to my office.  Still waiting for a letter from my doctor and the agony is killing me. 

Toying with the idea of buying a new pre-amp.  I have an old Apt-Holman pre-amp which is a classic piece of equipment with technology far ahead of its time. Not sure there will be any significant improvement with a new pre-amp, Comments?

@elliottbnewcombjr Well that does indeed suck……but it sounds like you are getting right medical attention - i too have gone down that same path w IV antibiotics, hyperbaric, etc… Blessed w great insurance AND superb medical care. Please reach out IF there is anything i can do !

Best to you in recovery and beyond.

Jim

@jrosemd well the Apt was excellent in it’s day…. depends on rest of system and expectations….. what are you looking to gain ?
best

Jim

Working my dual arm TT project…. sourcing the 12” arm…. there are a lot of excellent choices….. Intriguing is a FR64 to 66 conversion from Analogmagik….we shall see…..

@stereo5 I am praying for you (even if you are not a spiritual person). I know what you are feeling. Had a malignant melanoma years ago and then my minor stroke. Sucks being in the dark.

Apt Holman was great in it’s day, I had one for about 5 years...think I replaced it with a Classe 5..of which I now have a fully refurbished one...if you keep the Apt I absolutely recommend a professional refurbish, parts replacement and cleaning - worked wonders on my Classe, and not that expensive on a preamp...for new modest cost preamps, I'm happier than expected with Schiit Freya S and Freya+...

Post removed 

@jerryg123 ,  thank you very much.  I am a spiritual person although one would never know it from listening to me here.  I should hear by mid next week at the latest. My wife keeps saying to think positive thoughts but in my eyes, whatever is or isn’t there is already done and positive thoughts won’t matter at this point.  I told my doctor not to sugar coat anything so he told me last Wednesday it is 50-50 right now.  Sure sucks to get old, worked my entire life, never didn’t have a job for even a day.  Retired 5 1/2 years ago and most of my friends from work who already retired are gone, lasting  between 2-5 year’s.  Hoping I don’t become a statistic.  

@stereo5 I hear you, I love my work so I am going to keep going till they tell me to go home. You are in my prayers. Chin up!

For sure I am having my whole ceiling completely down in acoustic panels covered by a seamless fabric.  I do not have a Preamp and have been debating whether I really need one.  But, if I can convince my wife and the stock market rises a little bit then the Aries Cerat Ianus Ageto Preamp will be on my list.

@stereo5 

Best of luck.

Nothing can matter more than good health.

I hope you get some good news.

Rather less importantly it would be nice if I could get to hear the Wharfedale Elysian 4 at some point in the next 12 months or even the Q Acoustics Concept 500s.

jc4659

Good idea. After this finishes healing, and some bones grow back in there, I have one more surgery to remove a spacer put in there so the toe doesn't shorten while those bones grow toward each other.. I tend to grow a lot of calcium, have had many joints cleaned out, 22 surgeries, spacer will be 23.

Mom's 100th Birthday in Maine Jan 16th, that will be fun.

tomic601

thanks for the good wishes and offer to help. Luckily it's my right foot, so I can drive some. 

I got home from the hospital, thinking " where am I gonna put the rolling rack" with bag of antibiotic like they use in hospital. Happy surprise, a pressurized bag, shaped like a small nerf ball, fits in your pocket, very easy.

I call them mini pinapples…hope i never see another…

100 = good stock

@stereo5 best and prayers also to you !

I hope to buy a new DEQX Pre 8 preamp/ DSP to replace my old DEQX. I'm rather frustrated because DEQX first promised the new product line would be available third quarter 2022; Then fourth quarter 2022.  Nor who knows.  Supply chain and semiconductor shortage problems are a bitch.

stereo5

You have to hang in there for Our Pink Floyd discussions. Looking forward in reading your impressions on the new "Animals" release.

Happy Listening!

facten

Still looking for a meet-and-greet to hear your Neodio Origine Player.

Happy Listening!

Wishlist for 2023:

1. That 2023 doesn't suck as badly as 2022.

2. Upgrade most of my cabling. Both power and signal.

3. Perhaps new speakers if the sale of my analog equipment and media goes well.

@stereo5 

My advise is to listen to your wife, like you always do.

She is right about staying positive.

And certainly don't pay any attention to what happened to your co-workers. They aren't you. Besides, the statistics are now on your side.

Good luck. I am not a spiritual person, but I am praying for you.

@stereo5 it seems life’s little challenges become more frequent as we age. Please try to stay positive for a good outcome. wishing you all the best.

@jrosemd 

apt-Holman was a fine amp in its day but I am convinced preamps have come a long long way 

duh, I said right, but it's my left foot, so I can drive with my my right foot some, I'm in USA

bounced back some

listening, new friend, audio engineer, bass player, guitar collector, composer

we listened, mainly guitar, highlights ’Friday Night In San Francisco’ (Al de Miola one of his favorites), Jose Feliciano ’Hey Jude’ form his 10-23 album. 8 minute track, terrific display of his talents.

He was very impressed by the 3 arm TT and the sound/imaging of the system. He said "I thought I had a great setup, this is awesome". Always nice to hear from a pro.

Hoping to have my Decware amp built and delivered in 2023, but that build sheet is long and slow. Might just get pushed to 2024.