Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Based on melm's investigation that dac may be overpriced. With more acceptance of Chinese forays into higher end audio we may see more new Chinese products come onto market at inflated prices in order to maximize profit margins. Price doesn't always reflect actual value, this holds true for equipment manufactured in all countries.

Now that my new DA005 is selling down and the sound is somewhat stable after about 40 hours of playing time, I decided to ask my wife if she would be interested in listening to the system with the new DAC. Normally she has little interest and claims that she can't hear the subtle differences that I listen for but has placated me in the past and despite her denial she has very acute hearing.  I played two songs from Alison Krauss and Union Station "New Favorite" CD that she has heard many times before without my saying a word.  Afterwards I asked her opinion and half expected her to say it sounded good but couldn't really tell if it was better.  Without hesitation she replied "it sounds much clearer."  Leaving well enough alone, I didn't press her for opinion on soundstage depth, width, well defined and fleshed out images, tonality, etc. which I feel are also improved with this DAC.  What stood out for her was the clarity which also struck me on day 1.  I am very pleased with the performance of the Musetec DA005 and can now turn my attention to streaming and discovering new artists!  Thank you to those who posted here and turned me on to this great DAC!

@jc4659
Nice post. You’re not the first to write of a WAF for this DAC, though we might have to redefine WAF. As you have only 40 hours on the DAC you have a lot to look forward to. With a CD player that might not be operating at its best, you may not be running on all 4 cylinders for CD playback. Eventually you may want to go to a better CD player as @wharfy has done (See Pro-Ject thread), or rip your CDs and go to streaming as others of us have done. It’s a fork in the road that deserves a lot of consideration.

@melm 

I am waiting to hear back from The Repair Shop, the only authorized Meridian repair location in the U.S.  I really like the Meridian.  It has a solid feel, smooth drawer mechanism, and is built like a tank but if repairs are too costly then I will look at alternatives.  The Pro-ject transport gets rave reviews but I am also looking to get away from using my laptop as a streamer.  It's good to know that there is more to be had from the DAC whether spinning CDs or streaming.  The Musetec DAC is a keeper.

I am wondering if DAC stands for “Drive Anyone Crazy” !!

I am educating myself on forums and YouTube vids in my quest to upgrade from my Bel Canto DAC2 and a Monarchy DIP fed by a BLUESOUND Node2i via Cat8 Supra. I have a MFA MAGUS A2 recapped by Scott Franklin and I sure enjoy it and definitely want to keep it in my system. So now I am going “crazy” with all my choices ( budget up to 5K if need be but prefer 2-3K) but actually I am enjoying all the threads and being retired I have ample time to listen to music while reading. 
Some of the DACs I am considering are the Holo May, Musetec 005, Dennafripp Pontus II, RME, another Bel Canto DAC and Benchmark DAC3L.

An interesting note is that I was able to actually speak on the phone to a gentleman  at Bel Canto which was refreshing and when I called Benchmark twice I spoke with Rory who answered all my questions and was very patient. Rory to his credit volunteered their return policy and suggested I try it and return it if not happy. That is standing by your product and displays confidence in the product(s).

So, I feel like I need in an ideal world an R2R DAC and a CHIP DAC to compare and play around with.  

@agentwja  Of dacs you mentioned Denafrips Terminator more in this class, RME a step down, this based other's reviews and comparisons.

I agree it would be informative to audition both R2R and chip dac together, just be sure  both in same segment of market. I've seen too many comparisons of dacs with different topologies in different market segments where one comes out on top and the other condemned.

My take is the top dacs can all be pleasurable in right system, one is matching flavors more than resolving differences. The less obvious differences, which may include micro dynamics, timbre, tonality will take longer term listening to ascertain.

@agentwja
You write of the possibility of getting an R2R DAC and a chip DAC to compare. If you look around you can see that it’s been done here by two fair and credible audiophiles with no commercial interest in either. Moreover it was done with two very different audio systems and (probably) with two very different choices of music. That would be by @pt999 in this very thread comparing the Musetic with dual ESS9038pro chips and the Holo Audio May KTE. The other is by by @dbb in the thread, https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-holo-may-l2-dac-and-the-musetec-audio-lks-audio-mh-da005-da, comparing the Musetec with the Holo Audio May L2 DAC. Despite their personal differences, they came to very similar conclusions, to wit, these DACs are very close in performance. I’d like to speculate why that might be.

There is a great effort by the industry to promote the differing technologies in the digital realm. Whether they promote the R2R technology, the ESS9038pro or other chips or the chips they develop themselves using FPGA chips. Two of these technologies are relatively expensive to produce. That would be today’s R2R technology and the FPGA chips.

The R2R technology of today is a discrete one. It is made of many individual parts, including lots of precision resisters. In parts and labor, that is expensive. Some time ago R2R chips were easily available so all of these parts and this labor were collapsed onto a relatively inexpensive chip. And in the digital realm, it seems, chips work as well as discrete. But these chips are no more, but for some NOS.

Programming an FPGA chip is an alternative to paying anywhere from $20 to $95 (in small quantities) to companies like TI, AKM or ESS for their chips. It takes many man-hours to do it. That costs money. Whether the result can outperform the three decades and three generations of ESS chip development, for example, is a question that has not been answered, for me anyway. But it does give companies that do it the promotional possibility of differentiating their product. "Our chip is better, like no other, and it can be updated!"

All of which leads to my personal conclusion that none of this matters as much as the more important considerations of a DAC. Makers who purchase the relatively inexpensive chips can put their resources here. They are: (1) Power supply and (2) analog section. There are some very well known and very expensive DACs that use cheap power supplies. There are some very expensive and very well known DACs that use cheap analog chips as the basis for their analog section. IMO one of the reasons that the DACs in the two comparisons above sounded both very good and very much like each other is that they both have fine power supply sections and fine discrete analog sections.

How can you tell when a DAC has a good power supply and/or a good analog section? You must look inside and see. Or find a review that does that for you, rather than just recite a list of audiophile platitudes and call that a review.

I’m not here to denigrate any brand, but two you list have been around for a very long while and one of them, at least, is well known to have a sound signature particular to the brand. Also, look inside and compare. This is a fast moving segment.

@melm @jc4659 -Just an update on the thrill I am having pairing the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 and the Musetec DA005 DAC. I believe the synergy between the two is perfect to my ears, using the AES//EBU connection. I've had the DAC long enough to be well through the burn-in period, over 400 hours, and am enjoying the "new sounds" I'm hearing from oft-listened to CDs.

As an aside, I have a Aurender music server with a USB connector that sounds terrific because the DAC is USB optimized. When I get time I'm going to venture into CD burning because of what I've been reading on this thread.

Musetec saves the day. A post I made on the bedroom SR1a headphone system (or 2 channel for my ears).

Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A | Page 316 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Yesterday, I called Shenzehn (sp?) about getting the same discount as I got the first time, to buy a second 005. They gave me one, but I could not pull the financial trigger. Got to wait until Black Friday 2022.

@yyzsantabarbara thanks for the update. It's great that you've found a pairing that you are very happy with, congrats & enjoy :-).

I haven't yet decide what pre-amp to try the Musetec yet. Out of curiosity, are you using and liking stock tubes in the Freya+ w/ your Musetec?

@wharfy 

I've been reading with pleasure about your CD experience on the Pro-Ject thread.  Looks like you're having a good time.  I write in response to your venture into CD burning.  I think you'll find that a very interesting voyage.  I wrote earlier that ripping CDs and playing them from a hard disk to be a great convenience.  I also found that it improved SQ in a clearly discernable way.  But I was starting from an Oppo 105.  You are starting from the Pro-Ject.  So it will be very interesting to see what can be acomplished.  Which Aurender will you be using?  USB or spdif to the DAC?  In my case it's USB to the DAC and when you do that it's, agan, a bit like analog where a lot of very little things can make a difference.  And, oh yes, Happy New Year.

@melm -Happy New Year!

Since I have a MacBook Air, I will be burning CDs via an Apple USB Superdrive, using dBpoweramp CD Ripper because there is no version of Exact Audio Copy that is Mac compatible. I have an Aurender N100H with an Ethernet Gigaport and 2 USB 2.0 data ports. I have a USB connection between the Aurender and the 005, which sounds awesome, btw.

I'm about 40 hours in. Just to add my two cents in case it's helpful ...

Yep, the sound changes quite a bit during the initial hours to my ears also.  Listening every 4 hours or so, just for fun. It has sounded really good at times, and at one point I literally thought 'wtf?'? that sounds totally different - and not good', took the headphones off and set it back to cook some more.

As far as the sound character goes, I think that @melm summed it up very well when he wrote "Fluidity, clarity, bass extension". Maybe I'd describe it further as clarity first and foremost (at the 40 hour point), with a good measure of fluidity and natural sound, plenty of PRaT, pace and control, including bass.

Overall at this point it seems to be settling in, and sounds really good. So far in character it reminds me a bit of the Benchmark DAC3, but better, perhaps a bit more fluid and natural.

As far as whether there is a tendency toward relentless or hyper analytical sound, I I can see where that impression comes from. I'd describe it (as some others have) as not kind to aggressive sounding recordings.

For example, listening to some Mike Dawes acoustic guitar (Somebody I Used to Know, Boogie Slam, Slow Dancing in a Burning Room, Superstition, etc.) which are pretty 'hot' sounding recordings. Sounds great, but the sound as captured on the recordings can be a bit relentless.

With the DA005 the character of these recordings comes through crystal clear. At this point, it seems to me like a totally honest view into the recording and source. Unforgiving, perhaps, but I'm thinking that's as it should be - no editorializing or 'beauty filter' smoothing is applied to the sound at all. To be clear, I don't find it dry or harsh at all - just totally clear, in a good way.

Yeah, I understand that the sound should stabilize and continue to get better as I get to try it with more recordings, so consider these preliminary impressions of course, fwiw. Cheers.

@fl_guy  005 not forgiving, yet is NOT UNFORGIVING. This is kind of hard thing to wrap one's head around. Sometimes we think of equipment that is not forgiving as having to be unforgiving. 005 is rare beast in that it toes a very delicate line between the two.

005 is not editorializing in any way I can perceive in over year of ownership. I've changed out tubes, resistors, capacitors in various equipment, three amps (two SET, one push pull tubes), two linestages, various network changes for streaming, different power cords,  and 005 just kind of keeps chugging on. It illuminates every change, yet never goes off in some unintended flavor direction. It is rather like an unchanging reference point for all other changes to system. System went off in analytical direction once with addition of audiophile switch, otherwise has always remained NEUTRAL.

I just have a hard time ascribing some sort of over arching flavor or characteristic to 005. What color is neutral? Can't recall another piece of equipment in over thirty years as audiophile that I couldn't adequately describe with some color or temperature characteristic. Color is like invisible and temp. is exactly between hot and cold, warm and cool.

hi @sns, thanks for your comments.

I think that I get the distinction/point that you're trying to make (and my impressions so far agree btw). It seems to me that we're reporting very similar impressions in slightly different ways.

I'm glad to hear that only more good things are in store for the longer term sound once the DA005 has fully stabilized! 

@fl_guy  I only have a few hours on the Freya+ with the stock tubes. I have not had a tube preamp before, so this is a little new to me. As I posted above, the Freya+ allowed me to use the RAAL SR1a with the Benchmark AHB2 and it sounds different and great from my other SR1a amps, CODA #8 and KRELL K-300i (and soon KRELL 175XD). Since the AHB2 is my fav amp the Freya+ is bringing me lots of happiness with the SR1a.

I cannot say for sure yet if the Freya+ and AHB2 is my fav combo but I did sell another preamp yesterday, Topping pre90, because the Freya worked so well in the first few days. It also looks like I have a buyer for my second AHB2 amp. By coincidence that gives me just enough money to buy a second 005. I already miss it in the office system. I am using the Benchmark DAC3B in the office. It stays but the 005 will get most of the action once I get a second one.

I should add that I will be using the CODA 07x preamp and Benchmark LA4 preamp with the 005 in my office. I was doing this with the first 005 before I moved it to the bedroom with the Freya+. The 005 can output both RCA and XLR at the same time (like the Benchmark DAC3B). I have the 2 preamps setup nicely with a mix of RCA and XLR sources. Some of my source's support both RCA and XLR output at the same time.  It is a simple matter of changing to one of the two 15-foot XLR cables from the preamps to the single amp between the speakers.

The CODA 07x is a bit noisier than the LA4 but it has a very beautiful sound. Whatever is added, some warmth et al, is a nice addition. The LA4 is stark neutral and does not seem to add anything, It is also totally silent. I like both and I seem to switch preamps each morning.

Thanks @yyzsantabarbara, I appreciate the info and your impressions with the preamps you have at hand. It sounds like you have a couple of great options, and you're well set with two really great systems. That's awesome - enjoy.

Curious, are any of you using your -005 with DSD512 material? I have a highly modified LKS -004 with a Kitsune Singxer SU2. I am using the  SU-2 i2s to feed the -004 from a Mac Mini, running Roon/Tidal and HQ Player. I am upsampling  everything to DSD512/ASDM7/poly-sinc-xtrr-mp-2s via HQPlayer. I really couldn't be more happy with the sound, just wondering if there really is more to be had with the-005.

The rest of my system: McIntosh Mx-150/MC312 B&W Nautilus 803's

@fmzip

You may find some folks having more experience with the 005 over at the head-fi 005 thread. If you want comments about whether "there is really more to be had with the 005" you might want to summarize the modifications you have made to the 004. IIRC there are those who have modified the 004 extensively and maintain they have achieved even more in SQ than has the 005. In any event, a couple of folks over there will probably understand what you have done.

You write that you are going directly from a Mac Mini to the 004. Are you using a decrapifier of some kind, or have you considered something like a DLNA bridge? Or does the use of HQPlayer make those unnecessary or undesirable?

@fmzip I have hard time believing one could get 005 level of performance with any 004, no matter level of mods. 005 excellent power supply is just one section of dac that can't be replicated wtih 004.

Still, you're not getting everything 004 can offer. Using stock mac mini may be weakest link in your setup. I've had four mac mini setups over the years. 2009 stock mini, 2014 stock, 2014 with Core Audio (no longer in business) internal and external power supply, 2014 with Uptone Audio MMK and JS-2 lps. All modified minis also optimized as music sever, therefore, only essential apps operable. Modded minis  far surpass stock minis. I'd likely go for better server prior to possible purchase of 005.

LPS on your Kitsune would also be nice upgrade. My take is reaching 005 potential requires first class network, clean AC.  I also suspect 005 with usb feed preferable to I2S input. I have Kitsune SU-6, yet to try since purchase at same time as 005. Great sound quality with usb input, don't feel the need to even experiment with this. I presume great amount of engineering effort for 005 usb input make it the preferable input. Also,  with usb  one can run Roon endpoint/steamer discreetly. Divorcing streaming function from Roon core is optimum setup, usb allows this.

@sns @melm 

LKS-004 mods are::

1) Replaced the metal oxide trimpots for the IBV section with metal foil Vishay VFR 1240W pots
2) Swapped crystals to Crystek 957X on both the Singxer SU-2 and LKS-004
3) Had I/V resistors custom made by Texas Components 2 Watt Vishay TX2575 0.1% .
4) Analog section power filter cap replaced with Mundorf 10,000uF 63V MLGO Mlytic AG
5) Swapped to low leakage Schottky barrier diodes Vishay MBRF10H100 100V 10A
6) Vcom bypass capacitors replaced with Wet Film capacitors
7) Replacement of 0.1uF WIMA polyester caps with 0.15 uF WIMA MKP Polypropylene caps
8) Metallized mylar/polyester caps on the analog final/post filter replaced with polyproplyene caps

I am using a Sonore Ultra Digital with LPS after the MAC M1 Mini. I believe I can only do DSD512 via I2s with it, DoP is limited to DSD256 via USB I thought? The difference between DSD256/512 is simply night and day, amazing. The LKS really shines with DSD512 which is why I was curious if any of the 005 users were using it.

I don't believe they offer an LPS mod for the KItsune SU-2?

https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/ktesu2/

The Mac M1 Mini is dedicated for HQ Player and Roon only. It's been working flawlessly thus far

The company I work for assembles printed circuit boards. I would have to agree, what I see inside the -005 looks very impressive, just wondering if I should put my dollars elsewhere

With your list of mods! Only reinforces my sense stock mac mini is your weak link, server quality does make a difference. If you were to keep mini, Uptone mods, for off the self, Roon Nucleus, any NUC or can go way upscale. I'm planning on diy solution, $2.5K in parts alone, yes, my experience is server is one of the most important components in streaming chain. With your total setup, I'd think upgrade in server would be easily heard.

My take on even 004 modded to your level, can't replicate 005 ultimate sound quality. I mentioned power supply in previous post as I presume this is fundamental to 005 performance. One of the highlights of 005 performance is it's simply magical micro dynamics, this single aspect gives 005 breath of life, the very essence of this dac for me, unique power supply of 005 delivers this.

@sns

Thanks for your input

I see an LPS and Teradak are available for the latest M1 mini, could you point me in the direction of what does Uptone offer for this?Why do you feel the M1 is inferior to a Nucleus or NUC? I tried both , neither could process DSD512 without dropouts.

http://www.teradak.com/products/72.html

@fmzip  Uptone doesn't offer upgrades for M1 mini's.  That Teradak should be worthwhile upgrade for your M1, I use Teradak LPS on some of my equipment, very reliable over many years.

Only the Nucleus plus would be able to process DSD512 without dropouts. The regular Nucleus or whatever NUC you tried didn't have enough processor capability, generally you're going to need Intel I7 to process higher rate DSD. The M1 has plenty of processing power.

I didn't know or perhaps didn't see you were running high rate DSD. For people running these high rate DSD via Roon, HQplayer, etc. low level Nucleus, NUC's and even some of the higher priced off the shelf solutions won't do the job.

fmzip, Do the Teradak along with some optimization, therefore, shutting down unneeded apps, should give you server that would require substantial expenditure to beat. If you go with Teradak, please report back your impressions.

@sns

I’m going to confirm the Teradak will work.

Just an FYI, I built a NUC8i7BEH with ROCK installed. It stuttered like mad  upscaling practically everything to DSD512. That was the reason I tried the Mac M1 mini, pleased with the results to say the least

With I7 processor that NUC theoretically should have functioned properly, however, Roon has list of known NUC's that work with ROCK, that particular NUC not on list.

The Teradak will work, requires installation of internal filter. While I presume this superior to stock mini, I wouldn't expect its comparable to earlier minis with Uptone MMK and JS-2 LPS. We're talking $300 for M1 vs. $1100 for earlier/my mini, still worth a try. LPS on mini easily best streaming upgrade I've experienced, fiber media conversion is another no brainer upgrade.

005 will expose every single flaw and upgrade in streaming solution, have plans for major upgrades in order to extract full potential of this dac.

Real time upsampling to DSD512 can require a lot of processing power. Using the ASDM7EC modulator with the more intensive filters is too demanding for most consumer CPU's. In fact, offloading the filters to a powerful GPU is needed as the CPU alone is not enough. Something on the order of an i9-12900k with RTX 3080 might get the job done. Far from an inexpensive or basic computer. Forget about passively cooling such a rig.

The non-EC modulators and lighter filters are significantly less demanding, so a less powerful system might do it. DSD256 also presents less load.

Sorry if already answered, but what kind of break-in period did folks experience?

Supposedly, the latest M1 mini will only use a max of 39 watts power (which is 3.25A at 12V):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201897

The previous mac mini's used up to 122 watts, which is 10.1 amps.  You really need the huge Teradak 13A power supply for this (only game in town that provides that much current).

If' you are running a M1 Mini, I think you can get away with a lower sized power supply and end up with a much better result than the Teradak.  You could get the internal power filter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184685135284?hash=item2b001785b4:g:ICcAAOSwMmhelgMm

Then look at a much nicer LPS.  I suppose the Uptone JS-2 would work here if you like that model.  You can also look at the Keces P8.  The Keces has a very large 35,200uf capacitor bank and uses 4 transistors in parallel to supply the output current. (the Uptone looks to have a huge capacitance as well).  DO NOT buy the 4A Teddy Pardo for this application as it is very inefficient and will get extremely hot!  Teddy Pardo is really only good for loads up to 0.6A.

Even though the M1 mini will run with a 4A linear power supply, I would highly recommend getting a much larger one to allow for smoothest current delivery and regulator heat dispersion.

My take on even 004 modded to your level, can't replicate 005 ultimate sound quality.

I would agree.  The specific list of modifications that fmzip listed out will definitely help the sound quality of the 004, but it doesn't address all design problems.  The Crystek 957 clock is an improvement over the stock clock, but it is somewhat laid back in sound (more like a McIntosh sonic signature).  Accusilicon clock is much better if you cannot work in an OCXO.  The bumped up 10,000uf Mundorfs will definitely help, but in my opinion, Mundorf Mlytic are already compromised as they essentially place a "veil" over the music.  Upper mids/highs lack attack and speed, bass is not as strong/full.

The further problems are all on the digital power supplies where the stock caps are severely undersized.  This presents higher ripple on the regulator outputs and also weakens bass response.

The Uptone JS2 won't work with M1 mini, internal power supply not compatible, its designed to accept SMPS. Uptone would have to produce internal power supply, like MMK for earlier minis to work. I presume the Teradak LPS requires their internal filter to work correctly. All the internal mini ps are designed for SMPS, won't work with LPS. https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60969-apple-m1-chip-for-music-server/#comment-1093146

I do agree running higher amp LPS than called for is always good thing.

@metaldetektor I believe some have reported as much as 400 hours. I never started serious listening below 100 hours. Easy to burn in dac, just leave on with signal flowing through, don't need music playing through speakers.

@sonic79 This is assuming one is using HQPlayer. Certainly, if one wants to use HQPlayer to full potential extreme processing power needed, Roon DSP doesn't require as much. I believe even Roon Nucleus or any NUC with I5 and above is sufficient.

The Uptone JS2 won't work with M1 mini, internal power supply not compatible, its designed to accept SMPS.

Maybe you can expand more here.  The first link I provided is the Teradak internal filter.  It has a 5.5mm x 2.5mm standard DC socket.  It's just a matter of connecting a standard linear power supply of adequate value.  Teradak might be doing something specific with their internal filter, but there is nothing special about their linear power supplies.

@sns 

That's true. My 2011 MBP with dual core i7 can do DSD128 through Roon without much struggle, although Roon's modulators and filters are lighter. I haven't tried DSD256 or higher as my DAC is limited to 128 DoP. General rule (at least in regard to HQP) is doubling the sample rate doubles the load on the CPU. I brought up rigorous processing criteria because @fmzip uses HQP and reported a NUC was insufficient for DSD512 even with the non-EC modulator. HQP really is a different beast when it comes to DSP.

I've made presumption JS 2 won't work with stock internal SMPS, and even if any LPS would work with it, what's the point since Its SMPS.

The Mac Mini runs internally using 12V DC (direct current). All electronics run with DC direct current with various voltages.

The Teradak internal filter completely replaces the internal SMPS (switch-mode power supply) and it provides a 5.5mm x 2.5mm socket that you can connect to any standard 12V linear power supply with adequate current capability.

It doesn’t matter whether the 12V DC current is supplied by the SMPS or a linear power supply such as Teredak, Uptone, Keces, etc.. It’s the same result either way.

Here’s a video showing the whole process. It requires disassembly of the mac mini, but you can do it with careful patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUZMYy45CRs

The M1 mini disassembly might by a little different, but the basic principle is the same.  Here's the M1 disassembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ArjHz4gd4

This is what I've been saying, you have to replace external and internal power supplies as a package. Now I don't know if Teradak internal filter will work with Uptone JS-2 or any other external lps.

By the way, I previously ran that Core Audio Tech, internal and external LPS until it fried. Went with Uptone package after, also considered Mojo Audio package.

@metaldetektor

You asked about break-in of the Musetec DAC.

In his first post after receiving the Musetec, @pt999 compared it to his fully broken in May Holo KTE DAC. After one week of break-in he decided to return the unit. He preferred the May, apparently by a good margin.

In his second post, written after 16 days and 350 hours* of break-in he changed his mind and decided not to return it. He writes that, "The 2 DACs sound very similar. Switching back and forth multiple times on the same music passage, some the differences I found before are no longer valid. The Musetec air and space are about the same as the May." He continues to prefer the May saying the sound is a bit "crisper." That is usually more of a description of a sigma-delta DAC, but that’s what he says. He continues, "I’m not sure I can pass a blind listening test identifying which is which."

This very much confirms what @dbb has written as an OP after a full break-in of both units.**  HIs break-in of the Musetec was longer than that of @pt999.

*Others have reported needing more time.
**Comparative Review: Musetec DAC and Holo Audio May DAC

@auxinput

The first clock I swapped to in the LKS was the Accusilicon AS318-B-100.

Yes, it was an improvement, more forward sounding and clearer. At the time I had an Anthem D2V preamp & Emotiva Monoblocks. That combo along with my B&W Nautilus 803’s which are fairly bright already wasn’t really ideal for me. The Crystek removed the listening fatigue from the equation.

Since then, I now have a McIntosh MX150 pre & MC312 Amp. The McIntosh/B&W combo is really a match made in heaven for me. I could listen to my system all day, it really sounds great to my ears.

It would be nice to swap the clocks again. However, I dread remorking the LKS again. I have so much fear of ruining it as I like it so much already. I try not to follow the long thread on Headfi any longer as the mods to this unit continue on. Although I have professional rework personnel at my disposal at no cost, I try my best to leave well enough alone on the 004 as it stands ;)

I have already ordered the Teradak combo with the 13A power supply: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184685139541

I will post again when it arrives. Thanks for all the suggestions.

@melm Well I’m finally onboard after Christmas Customs delays and an eventful experience dealing with Shenzhen Audio. I won’t berate them except to say you’ll be much better off phoning them and giving your shipping instructions, waybill information etc. instead of emailing them and leaving them to their own devices, but it was well worth it all in the end!

So I’ve had the 005 for 3 days now and run it almost constantly for 72 hours. Straight out of the box the soundstage was big, did a few cable swaps until I got a good match, it’s very cable sensitive, good sign.

DSD sounds absolutely wonderful almost hypnotic, you have to put down what you’re doing and LISTEN! Another good sign..lol.

Unfortunately no DSD over AES/EBU or SPDIF only DOP which is more dynamic than the USB but lacks the magic.

Redbook CDs sound better over AES/EBU but still undecided on AES/EBU or USB for Hi-Rez PCM, they both sound excellent.

Out of the box the 005 oozes class, it’s silky smooth, black version. The LEDs are a beautiful shade of turquoise, one I’ve never seen before - stunning. How often would anyone remark on the LEDs?

15 DPLL settings No.1 is recommended for PCM and 6 for DSD I found these settings worked the best and they stay in memory. Switching inputs is a breeze on the front panel or remote.

Fast and slow filters fast is way better.

Phase swap for DSD because sometimes DSD channels get swapped over by software. PCM not able to swap.

Listening via an Aurender N20 with a 10 Mhz master clock a 15 year old Virtual Dynamics custom XLR IC into a SMC Audio VRE-1 Pre-Amp.

HiDiamond AES/EBU Reference and HiDiamond Standard USB $89.00!

Will report back after I’ve put a few more miles on it.

Thanks sincerely to everyone who recommended the 005.

Congratulations! Where does it say dpll 6 best setting for DSD?

While the Hidiamond usb may be great at that price, you can do better, it will pay off. I've used Supra, Cardas, Wireworld, settled on AQ Diamond, you will definitely hear difference with your nice setup.

By the way, I just purchased Sonore opticalrendu, this will replace one fmc, lps and Sotm sms200 neo. We were speaking of clocks, this has two femto clocks, based on reviews should be definite step up from Sotm. Also likely to go to Sonore optical module to replace tp link fmc, again, this has femto clock. Also, considering Small Green Computer sonicorbiter I9 server vs diy, one of the few servers with optical out.

All this relates to getting more of the potential out of 005. Nearly all my network upgrades help to make 005 more analog sounding, along with resolution improvements. For all the people streaming, optical is way important. My goal is to eventually be all optical from modem  onward.

@sns Hi and thanks. The online manual recommends to use the lowest DPLL settings for the best SQ.

PCM BW01-BW03

DSD BW06-BW10

Obviously these will get tweaked over time and fine tuned, lower the setting more detail, take it up a notch or two to smooth it out.

Not streaming only using my ripped files, most of what I want to hear I've bought over the years. Maybe in a few months I'll add streaming but as you say that's another investment.

Yes my digital cables will get upgraded but the HiDiamond USB is great value. The 005 is starting to reveal fault in the HiDiamond AES/EBU and push me more towards using the USB output and I'm a great fan of AES/EBU!

After the 005 is fully burned in I'll be looking at a USB to I2S converter re-clocker but it's wonderful as of now.

@lordmelton 

Congratulations and thanks for the kind words.  Based on your last post I expected to hear from you by now, but with about a month of breaking-in.  Sorry the DAC took so long to get to you.  Others wrote that they were getting their Musetecs about 10 or so days after ordering.  Snafus happen, I guess.

Nice that it's giving some pleasure right out of the box, but the best is yet to come.  If you haven't seen it I wrote about break-in just 3 days ago.  You're surrounding the DAC with some really nice components so it's especially good to know that it is meeting expectations.

As many have written, this DAC is really optimized for USB so that's the route to work on IMO.

You write that you'll be, "looking at a USB to I2S converter re-clocker."  However, that's exactly what the upgraded Amanero board does inside the DAC with a better power supply and better clocks than you're likely to find in a separate unit.  So I fail to see the advantage.  A positive move in that direction (at least in theory) might be an ethernet to I2S device bypassing any USB entirely.  Whether such a unit can outperform the USB on the Musetec may still be a question.  Beekhuyzen tested such a device and found it not to perform better than the inexpensive USB combo he was using.

Looking forward to that post you promised after a month of break-in.

@melm Thanks again. I agree the USB input is just wonderful and just keeps getting better. I’m at the stage now where I believe everything sounds better through USB!

This is a first for me because I’ve always had better sound with AES/EBU, that’s not saying it’s bad but it’s ever so slightly harder and a micron less involving, sort of 99% as good as USB.

If anyone is on the fence regarding the Musetec 005 take the plunge you won’t regret it. It’s an accurate and natural sounding DAC that reproduces music truthfully.

Yep, usb is superior way to go with many dacs. Also has the advantage of using various usb rendererers/streamers and fiber conversion. For most, usb beats even I2S which should have inherent advantage of native topology within dac, therefore, no conversion needs to done within dac.

We were speaking about the importance of clocking, think of all the superior clocking schemes within renderers/streamers and/or fiber media converters, jitter virtually eliminated. And then the advantage of galvanic isolation with above devices. 005 usb is also state of art or near, much engineering effort here.

@sns 

Have you tried the Network Acoustics  Eno filter with the 005? I noticed you posted on another thread that you were going to try it. If you did I would  be interested in your impressions. 

@dbb  After further research I've decided to move in another direction. I have Sonore opticalrendu coming in tomorrow. This will replace one of my TPLink FMC and SOTM sms200 Neo.

I've been streaming for six years now, greatest improvements I've experienced were LPS and other optimization on server, splitting server/streamer functions and fiber conversion. The optical rendu serves two functions, improved streamer vs SOTM and replacing one lower quality FMC, My next move after this will be Small Green Computer Sonictransporter I9 or DIY server, either way will have optical output. This all in service to application of all optical network post modem.

Based on my experience and others with mature streaming networks, optical provides the highest resolving network. I'm also trying to simplify my streaming solution. With the above changes I can get rid of two FMC, the two lps to power them, this all post server..In front of server plans to get router with optical capability, no added switch required with this.

005 simply continues to excel with latest upgrades of 300b.101D tubes and Audio Note caps, Takman resistors in Statement pre. With tubes and new parts nearly fully burned in the closed in, uptight sound quality has been greatly alleviated, the bloom is getting nearly fully realized. Sound quality continues to relax with greatest resolution ever experienced, this is getting to be increasingly analog like sound quality. Opticalrendu should only increase this analog like presentation, working towards luxurious quality with extreme resolution. I fully believe 005 is capable of this presentation.