Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

My unit is likely sufficiently burned in now since that fatigue, I was experiencing in the beginning is now gone. I was listening to some hard rock for most of the day yesterday and I noticed that the bit of fatigue I was experiencing went away near the end of the day. So something changed.

This morning I put on Clockwork Angels by RUSH, which is not a quiet album. I played it over 80 dBs in my small room and had the best sound I ever had from this album. No fatigue.

This is now easily the best DAC I have ever owned. Thanks to the guys who posted on this DAC and also @ricevs who told me that all his customers were getting Musetec DACs. I now understand why.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/does-a-ripped-cd-onto-a-digital-format-sound-better-than-the-cd-played  This previous discussion about rips vs. transport.

I believe it has a lot to do with quality of transport, the less jitter induced here the better. Mark Levinson #37 I previously owned  and died would have given rips a good run for the money.

@yyzsantabarbara 

"This is now easily the best DAC I have ever owned. Thanks to the guys who posted on this DAC and also @ricevs who told me that all his customers were getting Musetec DACs. I now understand why."

I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it. It is gratifying to have helped spread the news along with others especially melm and sns.

Anyone using a Curious usb cable with this dac? Is the usb cable that comes with it any good or would I need to find a better one? Lastly, does this dac benefit from a reclocker or is this superfluous?  Getting ready to pull the trigger...

@jc4659

A distinguishing feature of Curious Cables is that the 5V line is run outside of the cable, presumably so as not to compromise the flow of digital data through the cable.

In the case of the Musetec, and some other fine DACs, the 5V cable is superfluous; it is not used at all. The 5V is provided for internally in the DAC. This is a far better solution. Otherwise a Curious cable is a fine cable. If you have one, it can surely be used.

My personal recommendation is for a solid core cable. These come in copper, silver plated copper and pure silver. I currently use one in copper, but will be experimenting.

As for a reclocker, I’m not sure I understand exactly what you have in mind. Some of us use bridges or streamers or decrapifiers that do have clocks in them.

@melm -"As for ripping disks, if you want to experiment, the popular free computer program for doing that is Exact Audio Copy."

Thanks for the info. Next opportunity I'm going to get an external disk drive and use it and Exact Audio Copy to try this out. My Aurender has 2TB of storage. 

"Of course a benefit of playing your own music from a hard disk is that it can be done from your easy chair."

That's more than one person's idea of nirvana.

One more update--played my better half her CD copy of The Nutcracker. She remarked that she heard instruments she did not know were there. 

Playing my 2500 cd's from rips so much better than physically searching through that muddle, only took me something like a year of off and on ripping to get all on NAS, terrible ordeal.

@jc4659 I use Audioquest Diamond usb, just tape off 5v power pin on this or any usb with power. Special order usb without power available from some manufacturers. Worthwhile to get rid of noise injected into dac. Some dacs don't need the 5v power, but need the handshake so needs to remain intact, 005 not needed.

If I understand you correctly, added clocking may or may not be desirable, usb clocking within 005 is top notch. My recent less than good experience with added clocking did not go well. At this very moment in contact with owner/operator of Network Acoustics, discussing this very issue of clocking. Looks like I'll be trying their Eno filter, very well reviewed here!

Update on my tube burn in. Tubes beginning to come in just now, bloom just underway, 005 sounding better than ever. Already even more natural timbre along with added resolving powers of boutique tubes. 005 magnificent, and to think more bloom on way! And so, yet to find a single fault of this dac,

@sns 

I was using an Uptone Audio IsoRegen with my Ayre Codex so that's why I asked. I'd prefer not to use add-on devices if they can be avoided but the IsoRegen made a significant and audible improvement.

Optimizing network likely benefits all dac, I'd expect IsoRegen to do same for 005. Even the optimized usb input of 005 benefits from usb renderers such as Sotm, UptoneUSB regen, and others.

My own experience is that the 5V line does not have to be blocked, though some do that.  I have heard no difference. I'm guessing that Pin 1 in the Musetec is not connected to anything.  So called "handshaking" is done by the ground wire (Pin 4) which absolutely must be connected or the USB connection will not be made.  It can actually be disconnected after the handshake and some people do that.

I too am loving this DAC, I’ve been ripping all my CD’s onto my Zenith and using a Matrix 2 SPDIF DDC with separate LPS and I2S to the 005 and XLR to my Technics SU-R1000. This DAC has become the star of my system and am really happy I made the jump (100% money well spent).

I would like to hear other peoples take on running I2S with the Musetec 005 and whatever DDC/reclockers that people a utilizing.

100% am a believer in the improved microdynamics and width and depth of sound stage with ripped CD’s over streaming.

Can’t again a better sound from my system then with this thing. But I’ll be honest the Technics SU-R1000’s phono stage might have the 005 beat (or equally as good).

I was floors when I calibrated my Ortofon MC Blue and played a LP with cartridge optimization and crosstalk canceling DSP from the SU-R1000. I have XLR outs from my TT and a separate LPS and I was just shocked at how on a head to head comparison of the amazing Musetec 005 and my digital array, my Vinyl sounds maybe even better.

I’m just smiling sitting in my listening room as my wife thinks I’m insane.

@ja_kub_sz 

Have you listened to it through USB? I think that the consus is that this input method has been optimized over the others. The argument I have heard against a ddc to I2s is that it is unnecessary since this is what the usb input is doing.

@ja_kub_sz

I agree with @dbb. The Amanero board in the Musetec does exactly what the Matrix 2 SPDIF DDC does, converting the USB input to I2S. Moreover, it has the advantage of better clocks, a more sophisticated power supply and one less cable. Of course anything is possible and if it sounds better to you, then just enjoy it.

A better case can be made, I think, for a device with ethernet input and I2S output that will bypass the USB entirely. I believe we have already discussed that possibility.

I've been doing more listening with the I2S and will drop the DDC and just run USB from my Zenith and see what my ears think. I thought I2S had advantages over USB as far as data separation and was reading up on peoples reviews on the PS audio forums.

But if the 005 is already doing what the Matrix is, and doing it better, maybe it should go?

@ja_kub_sz  Cd rips don't sound any better than streams on my setup. Optimizing network makes all the difference with streams.

I'm also agnostic about his res vs 16/44. I'm continually amazed by how much more information extracted with  system upgrades, thought I was at limit of 16/44 years ago. Still waiting to hear 16/44 resolving limit.

I2S vs usb, until someone actually uses I2S with 005, only speculation. I have capability of running I2S, no motivation since 005 with usb so good. Whatever, its just a matter of tradeoffs, external vs internal I2S conversion.

Melm, thanks for correcting me on handshake, brain fade.

@sns any tips on optimization of the network? I have a cat-8 Ethernet to my Innuos MK3, but otherwise that's it, nothing fancy.

If you did run I2S, how would you do it?

I’m tempted to try the Gaia since some reviews claim a sound jump when used with the Innuos Statement and I2S.

Fiber conversion post server is certainly up there in effectiveness. Other galvanic isolation devices such as Uptone etherregen, Network Acoustics Neo filter, many others. I'm about to try the Neo. Always use linear power supplies with any network devices, cool thing about Neo is no power cord needed, passive device. My experience and many others has been network optimization post server most important.

I have Singxer SU-6, hdmi cable goes into 005. SU-6 has configurable pin outs on hdmi as there is no standard for hdmi inputs on dacs.

Who knows when it comes to clocks, lots of differing opinions, I'm still gathering information on this since bad experience with clock.  I'd upgrade usb feed with renderers before I'd mess with added clocks. Devices like SOTM SMS200, Uptone USB regen, many others. USB is easily most optimized input with 005, wonderful sound quality all of getting with usb testament to it's quality.

My take on most effective optimized feed from server to 005 would be server>FMC(fiber) > usb renderer(many choices) >005. This would be fundamentals of great streaming feed, everything else icing on cake.

Icing on the cake for me would be if the 005 had a Fibre input for streaming and was ROON READY. Call it the 006.

@arafiq  You're correct, mixing up my SOTM SMS200 Neo.

@yyzsantabarbara  Yes indeed. I suspect audiophile fiber enabled network devices on way soon, I see present devices as consumable items, audiophile network innovations coming fast and furious. Makes one stop and wonder how much money to throw at this? But then we do want to maximize sq in the present.

To take advantage of fiber 006 would have to be streamer of course, not sure all dac manufacturers have engineering prowess to create streamer dac. Another good thing would be to have all network devices have own internal linear power supply. When I think how simplified optimized streaming could be made assuming internal linear power supplies and fiber enabled, audiophile router or switch>server>steamer dac. That's all, three  pieces and you have it!

@yyzsantabarbara

There are too many reasons to prefer separates rather than an all-in-one digital component. I’m sure I don’t have to list them for you. I will always go separates.

On another of your posts, I finally figured out who you wer talking about. I first heard about LKS DACs when Ric posted about the 004 on the Asylum. It had just been launched and represented a major advance over the 003. He was recommending it, straight from the factory, to a professional classical musician and occasional recorded music critic, who is a major participent and moderator on that forum. I’ve always considered classical music to be the most difficult to reproduce both because it can be the most complex and because it can be compared to the real classical music event. For all of these reasons, and including Ric’s reputation, I thought it was a DAC worth looking into. I did an extensive due diligence and eventually went for it myself. As you know, because the LKS DAC has the fundamentals right and because of its wide open architecture is became one of Ric’s modification products. Because of its quality from the factory though, there wasn’t very much he could do to improve it. It was and is his least expensive mod, I think.

I wonder if there is anything left to mod in the DA005.  Apos is showing "sold out" so I'm guessing these are backordered even at Shenzhen Audio.  Any info on availability?

@jc4659

Apos has been showing "sold out" for over a year.

If you want to know of availability at Shenzhen I suggest you ask them.

Someone at another forum just purchased 005 from Clear Components out of Germany,

When I bought my 005 maybe 3 weeks ago from Shenzhen they said that Musetec was building my unit. They did not have any DACs in stock.

I have to assume they still do not have any in stock. It would be nice to know how long it will take until shipping, a week, a month... No communication is an easy way to redirect potential buyers to competitors such as Denafrips, etc.

@jc4659 

The chat function on Shenzhen seems not to be working.  That's quite unusual.  I suggest you try it tomorrow.  They can also be reached by email.  I don't think that has anything to do with availability of the product.

A couple of weeks ago I contacted the factory about an order for someone.  I was told that even if not in stock, they could produce one within a week.

If Shenzhen fails to come alive soon, you can contact the factory by email and inquire there.  All things being equal you might prefer Shenzhen for their 30 day no question return privilege.  I don't know that anyone has used it though. 

@jc4659

I just received an email reply from Young at Shenzhen:

"The Musetec DAC might take 3-5 days before shipping. We could help to match the Black Friday sale price for you"

There you go . . . and the price is right!

I suggest an email to Shenzhen directed to Young with this quote.  support@shenzhenaudio.com

I sent another email to the address you listed.  The website no longer lists the DA005. This is concerning.

I returned my Gustard X26 Pro to shenzhenaudio. They sent me a another one as replacement. A great online dealer.

I should have clarified that I have my 005 delivered to me about 2 weeks after ordering.

@jc4659

It is right here before my eyes

shenzhenaudio.com/products/l-k-s-audio-mh-da005-es9038-pro-x-2-dac-coaxial-opt-aes-ebu-flagship-audio-decoder

Just write to Young at support@shenzhenaudio.com and tell him what you want.  It should not be complicated.

I finally received a reply from Shenzhen Audio when I emailed them directly and not via their website.  Nothing definitive as far as the wait time from the manufacturer but others here have posted several weeks so I am guessing this will be the case here. I pulled the trigger and ordered a Musetec DA-005 and anxiously await the new DAC.  I'll post my impressions here at the appropriate time.  Thanks to all above who have chimed in on their experiences!

@jc4659

For wharfy it was 12 days from ordering until delivery. That doesn’t mean it will be the same for you, but it looks good.

Shenzhen seems often to give a longer expected delivery date so as not to be bothered with Where’s my stuff? emails.

Good luck. As you can see by the responses, it’s worth the wait.  Could be the last DAC for many people, including me.

@wharfy 

"One more update--played my better half her CD copy of The Nutcracker. She remarked that she heard instruments she did not know were there."

How reminiscent of the golden analog days.  We used to purchase a new cartridge, perhaps our first moving coil (expensive and consumable), and rush to hear what it does on familiar disks.  What would we hear that was formerly hidden in those grooves?

I trust all still goes well with the DAC.

@melm This hearing of the formerly unheard continues to amaze me with 16/44, 005, network and general system improvements. My recent boutique tube purchases uncovered another layer of the lowest level details, performers in room becoming flesh and blood, more timbral color. This cannot happen if source obscures, 005 is amazingly resolving piece.

My analog setup only fell further behind with 005 in system, now presume it will take minimum $3.5K cartridge and planned mods to phono stage to get back in running. For all possible future purchasers of 005, expect to hear the  previously unheard. And not in a clinical, analytical manner, assuming one's present system not voiced in this manner.

Has anyone done a direct comparison of this dac with Denafrips Terminator 2? Sorry if this was mentioned earlier and I missed the post. 

@arafiq 

No.  However, it's been compared to the Holo May in great detail on this board,  It's also been compared to the Mola Mola Tambaqui at head-fi.

@arafiq  Melm mentioned pretty much what I was going to say. I believe we know virtually everyone having purchased 005. See if you can find Holo May vs Terminator review, extrapolate from there. Based on my observations Holo May has generally come out ahead of Terminator. With each new iteration of Terminator, resolving powers seem to improve, Holo May always top notch here.

I have to say I may be biased against Denafrips, had  Denafrips Hyperion amp in system couple years ago, very disappointing. I just thought anyone voicing a component that way is playing flavors off one another trying to balance out sound. I prefer more neutral components. This may have absolutely no bearing on Terminator sq, as usual YMMV.

For all possible future purchasers of 005, expect to hear the  previously unheard. And not in a clinical, analytical manner, assuming one's present system not voiced in this manner.

I just wish I had bought a 2nd 005 instead of the Topping D90SE which is still excellent for $900 in my "noisy" room system. The 005 would be even better. 

I have very positive feedback to share about Shenzhen Audio.  Initially I had concerns about lack of email correspondence but this may have been due to problems communicating via their web portal email/chat links.  When I contacted them directly, I promptly received several emails answering my queries. When I had ordered the 005 I originally paid full price thinking I had missed the black friday sale.  This morning I received a notification of 10% refund along with a tracking number thanking me for my patience.  This is excellent customer relations that you just don't see much of anymore.  I hope the Musetec DA-005 DAC also exceeds my expectations!  Thank you very much, Shenzhen Audio!

@jc4659 Your experience with Shenzhen Audio is exactly like mine when I bought my Gustard X26 Pro last year. They also gave me a discount after I missed a sale by 1 week. I returned the Gustard X26 Pro due to an issue I had, and they sent me a replacement unit very quickly. It cost me $115 to send back the unit by USPS. I have no problem buying from these guys.

@jc4659

In my "Buying Direct from China" thread (before it was commandeered by the Audiogon Politicos*) I commented on the high ethical standard I have always found when buying from China or Japan. If you ever need support from the factory, based on my own experience, I think you will also find it is there. Always a bit of normal anxiety when ordering from far away.

*An unfortunate indicator of what has befallen the US in the last several years.

@melm 

"Always a bit of normal anxiety when ordering from far away."

I admit I was a little jumpy. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!

I might need some guidance when setting up the new DAC. Currently using Audirvana Plus software on a MacBook Pro into a Codex so not sure which settings I'll need to change but looking forward to experimenting.  Any suggestions from you and others are welcome.  Eventually I will look at dedicated streamers.

My 005 has arrived this afternoon. Ordered on 29th Nov., was dispatched on 4th Dec. So I think Shenzhenaudio is not slow. Shipping was via DHL and very smooth.

It replaced my RME ADI-2 pro, and today I could barely recognize it is not a faulty unit. At least I think its channel separation is better than ADI-2 pro (in spite that it was used in balanced phone mode which was clearly better than its normal line level outputs). Finding the best setup will take time, but I think it is promising... 

@gracky 

Please post your impressions as the new DAC breaks in.  I am hoping to get mine by next Monday or possibly earlier based on your experience.

@sns ​​​​@melm thank you for answering my question. I was almost set to get the Holo Audio May Dac, but now I’m wondering if Musetec is a better buy. From what I’ve read so far I feel the May Dac is going to be more to my taste — bit more laid back (third row vs first), a bit smoother, and more analog-like. But is it worth an extra $2k? I know this is something no one can answer on my behalf. Another thing I like about Holo Audio is that they have a dedicated DSD engine. I have quite a few DSD albums which I play often, so this might be a deciding factor. 

my other concern is if the Musetec might be too revealing or unforgiving compared to the May. Tough decision!