Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 44 responses by jc4659

Anyone else running audirvana and using usb from a mac?  I hope I don't have compatibility issues with my DA-005 when it arrives.

@gracky 

In Audirvana there is a "Native DSD Streaming Method" setting. You can choose from the following 3 choices (in my set up):  1) None: convert to PCM, 2) DSD over PCM 1.0, 3) DSD over PCM 1.1  What do you have that set to? If you have chosen "None: convert to PCM" then you are asked "DSD convert to PCM with boost of" and your choices are 0dB to +6dB in 1dB increments.  If you chose either of the other two DoP settings then the volume boost is not an option.

Under the Upsampling category, what do you have the "Safe volume reduction before DSD upsampling" set to? Choices are None thru -6dB in 1dB increments.

Under the Audio Volume category, I chose "No leveling" and software volume control turned to "Off"

I should add that I do not yet have the DA-005 and so don't know if the Audirvana software will alter the default settings/choices when it sees the new DAC.  I'll let you know how I set mine up and if I get volume pops.

I received my Musetec DA-005 today less than 2 weeks from ordering and installation was straightforward.  I changed my Audirvana settings to straight PCM with no upsampling and listened via usb from a MacBook Pro running Audirvana Plus and optical from a Meridian CD player.  Obviously the new DAC has a ways to go but I am hearing more precise localization of instruments, wider soundstage, more realistic sounding - less hifi, great bottom end, yet still some fuzziness in the upper frequencies which was expected in the first few hours of burn in.  I suspect this DAC will really open up when fully burned in.  In many ways it already exceeds my expectations.  I look forward to playing around with the settings.

Anyone know why the sampling rate is 96k when I run optical out from a CD player?  Is this a default value, can it be changed?  Just wondering why it's not 44k. It sounds incredible already.  Female vocals to die for.  And I only have about 4 hours on this thing!

@melm 

I figured out why the CD player digital output shows up as 96kHz on the musetec.  The digital output is running through a W4S Remedy reclocker which outputs the signal at 96kHz.  When it is removed and the optical output is directly connected to the Musetec it shows the correct sampling rate as 44kHz.  After the DA-005 stabilizes sonically I will listen with and without the W4S reclocker to see which way I prefer the sound.

It's too bad someone from Shenzhen doesn't respond to the issues which were raised as other dealers have at times in the past when wrongfully accused of poor customer service or unethical practices. The Musetec DA-005 DAC is excellent and I have no relationship with Shenzhen Audio or Musetec except as a consumer. For those who have drawn some comparison, I personally am not, nor will I ever be, interested in Tekton.

@pt999 

Thanks for the update! It's good to know that with ample burn in the DA005 closes the gap with the Holo May DAC.  I have no where near the hours of playing time on my DA005 but already perceive changes that are very impressive.  I am using the optical output from a CD player and CDs have never sounded so clear, smooth, and dynamic with the DA005.  Using usb from a laptop is not quite there yet but with less than 20 hours of actual playing time I know the sound will improve.  So far I am very satisfied with this DAC and it is a significant jump from the CODEX I had been using which is no slouch!

@sns 

I am aware of the limitations of Toslink but I have a suspicion that the CD player leaks current. I have tried coax out in the past and twice I had a reclocker go out.  I have not had any problems since switching to optical out.  I believe the galvanic isolation is helping.  The CD player is an older Meridian 508.20 factory updated to 508.24 status and the IEC connection has no ground prong.  I don't want to risk passing extraneous voltage/current into the new DA005 DAC.  At some point I should have the CD player checked out since it is built like a tank.  I recently discovered that certain digital power cords when connected to a Furman power distributor cause the CD player to frequently display "No Disc".  Changing power cords and plugging into the wall enables the CD player to play that same disc.  Clearly, the Meridian has some power issues.  Despite these, CDs sound great using Toslink into the DA005.  I'll eventually retire the Meridian.

Now that my new DA005 is selling down and the sound is somewhat stable after about 40 hours of playing time, I decided to ask my wife if she would be interested in listening to the system with the new DAC. Normally she has little interest and claims that she can't hear the subtle differences that I listen for but has placated me in the past and despite her denial she has very acute hearing.  I played two songs from Alison Krauss and Union Station "New Favorite" CD that she has heard many times before without my saying a word.  Afterwards I asked her opinion and half expected her to say it sounded good but couldn't really tell if it was better.  Without hesitation she replied "it sounds much clearer."  Leaving well enough alone, I didn't press her for opinion on soundstage depth, width, well defined and fleshed out images, tonality, etc. which I feel are also improved with this DAC.  What stood out for her was the clarity which also struck me on day 1.  I am very pleased with the performance of the Musetec DA005 and can now turn my attention to streaming and discovering new artists!  Thank you to those who posted here and turned me on to this great DAC!

@melm 

I am waiting to hear back from The Repair Shop, the only authorized Meridian repair location in the U.S.  I really like the Meridian.  It has a solid feel, smooth drawer mechanism, and is built like a tank but if repairs are too costly then I will look at alternatives.  The Pro-ject transport gets rave reviews but I am also looking to get away from using my laptop as a streamer.  It's good to know that there is more to be had from the DAC whether spinning CDs or streaming.  The Musetec DAC is a keeper.

I thought I'd chime in here and share my opinion of this DAC.  My system was just slightly to the warm side of neutral using Ayre, Pass Labs, and Verity Audio Parsifal Encore speakers. I like where it's at and find it very musical.  If anything I have been looking for just a bit more transparency and resolution.  I certainly did not want a warm DAC nor did I want a cold, clinical hyper revealing DAC.  The Musetec DA-005 fit the bill perfectly. I would call it neutral with the ability to provide a level of clarity that revealed very subtle but noticeable details within the soundstage.  The increased clarity was the most prominent change I noticed and it came without any digital nasties or stridency.  I am very happy with this DAC.

@wharfy keep pushing the DPLL button after you get to 15 and it should start over at 1, 2, 3... again.

Okay all of you happy DA-005 owners, who has owned their DAC the longest and can comment on reliability?  Maybe it's too soon to know but it's the only question I still have about this wonderful DAC and hope I never have to find out. 

@melm thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences regarding the anticipated reliability of LKS / Musetec DACs. I am still shocked and amazed at how good redbook cd sounds coming from an old Meridian CD player used as a transport and limping along the way into the DA-005. I can only imagine the step up in sound using a contemporary dedicated transport which I am likely to purchase later this year. The big challenge at the moment is getting commensurate sound quality from streaming. I currently use a MacBook Pro running Audirvana into an Uptone IsoRegen. Files stored on the Mac sound very good but streaming can be a bit disappointing so I'm watching what others are doing in this regard i.e. bridge, switch, etc. A dedicated streamer is priority unless the Meridian takes a nose dive.  Your point that the DA-005 is yet to be found as a limiting factor is also very encouraging!

@blang I am currently running everything native, no upsampling.  I have over 100 hours actual listening on my DA-005 and hear very little change at this point.  This DAC is clear and smooth/fluid, musical and natural.  I place mine in standby mode when not using.  I have also disconnected all reclockers; had a W4S reclocking digital output from my CD player using optical in/out and an Uptone IsoRegen reclocking the USB.  These had offered improvement when used with my previous DAC, an Ayre Codex.  Much to my surprise, music sounds absolutely wonderful without the reclockers!  I plan to listen this way for a while and then replace each one and see if I hear an improvement.  If anything, I sensed greater dynamics without the reclockers.  Let us know your honest impressions when you're ready.

@melm I'd say close to 6 weeks. I'm slow since I toggle between analog and digital. Plus I have two other smaller systems.  I have stopped counting since I am no longer hearing noticeable changes in the Musetec DAC. I'd imagine one can reasonably expect to break in adequately in 2-3 weeks rather than the 6 it took me but I knew this DAC was special almost from day 1 when I heard its clarity.

Yesterday I posted a new photo in my virtual system and have been contemplating reconfiguring my set up.  The metal shelf hovering above my Linn is for my laptop but I'm not crazy about this location so I might split my racks similar to what I had previously.

I just wanted to provide an update on my experience with the Musetec DA-005.  I am running two inputs into the DAC: one from my CD player being used as a transport and one from my MacBook Pro playing local files using Audirvana and streaming using Qobuz.  My CD player is a Meridian 508.24 which has a dying laser but some discs it has had no trouble reading. The digital output is via optical using Lifatec glass fiber and is fed into a Wyred4Sound reclocker. The output from the W4S is coaxial using a DH Labs Silver Sonic bnc cable with RCA adaptors and is fed into Coaxial 1 input of the Musetec. I have tried every configuration possible and with and without the W4S reclocker and I have found the above worked best in my system. Redbook CDs sound silky smooth with no glare and tremendous clarity. The soundstage and placement of instruments is also excellent.  I am currently using a MacBook Pro to play digital files and stream using the USB output from the laptop via a Curious USB cable.  I have tried using a Uptone IsoRegen but found no significant difference in sound so currently I am running the Curious cable directly into the usb input of the Musetec DAC.  The sound is not quite as enjoyable as redbook CDs but I suspect the MacBook Pro is a big limitation here.  My next purchase will be a streamer so I may be picking some brains for recommendations and then after that a dedicated transport.  The Musetec DAC has been a great addition and may just be the best component in my current system or that I have ever owned.  It is not going anywhere. 

@btscott When it is fully broken in, maybe you can share more details about how you are using it i.e. with a transport, streaming from a laptop or dedicated streamer, etc. Also, which inputs sound best to you? I have shared some of my findings in this thread and still experimenting with different inputs and reclockers. It is truly a great DAC. No relationship with Musetec except as an owner ;)

@yyzsantabarbara if you are truly on their payroll then you better get your boss' name correct:  MUSETEC! 😉😁

Here is my experience using the usb input to the DA005. I am using a MacBook Pro laptop running on its battery until I get a dedicated streamer. Before the DA005 I was using an Ayre Codex DAC. I found that an UpTone IsoRegen benefitted the usb with the Codex. The sound was clearer, easier on the ears, and more musical. However, I did not hear this same improvement when I used the UpTone IsoRegen with the DA005.  Instead, I tried a device which converts usb to either optical or coaxial outs in an attempt to galvanically isolate the usb. I preferred the coaxial input over the optical which seemed to soften the music. The coaxial digital cable was a DH Labs silver sonic.  I liked the usb to coaxial conversion and listened to quite a bit of music this way.  On the Duende track from Bozzio Levin and Stevens, the bass guitar near the beginning was articulate and clean as it should be as compared to optical input which muddied those same bass notes.  Today just for comparison I went back to direct from the MacBook Pro using my Curious usb cable into the DA005 with nothing in between.  While the bass notes were clean and clear, they were also better articulated and music overall was punchier and more dynamic. So... I am currently listening to digital files and streaming directly into the DA005 from my laptop.  You might be perfectly happy with the DA005 without a reclocker but I would recommend you use a decent usb cable.  Overall, what I am finding is that some of these devices may benefit the DA005 in some ways but not in others.  

@kclone Congratulations!  You're in for a treat and I don't think it will take 400 hours for it to all come together.  How are you using the DAC, with a streamer, computer, transport?  What cables and inputs are you using?  If you have any questions there are several here who will offer some help or suggestions.  Have fun with it!

That's odd. I'd avoid the Equi Core until you get that figured out. You have nice equipment. Leave the DA 005 on standby when not in use. The hardness that you hear will fluctuate and then disappear. The DAC allowed me to hear very subtle changes eventually so I used it as a tool to evaluate conditioners, cords and cables. I also have tinnitus which added to my frustration and I try not to listen critically when it's bad. My advice is to relax and be patient.

FWIW, I fire up the DA005, my preamp, and Pass Labs x-350.5 amp all within 10 seconds of each other!  Those Pass caps are pulling lots of current no doubt.  No problems.  I'd work around the Equi-Core for the time being until you figure out what the problem is.  With all the changes that the new DAC will be going through you don't want to be throwing other variables into the mix just yet.

@midwesternaudio I would assume you welcome inquiries and technical questions about the DAC from those interested in learning more about the Musetec DA005.  Also, any comparisons with other DACS would be welcome here too with the usual caveat that you are up front about being a dealer/distributor.  Verdant Audio posts frequently so I assume AudioGon is okay with this.

@kclone With the caliber of your electronics it's not too surprising that the Polks sound really good!  Many years (20?) ago I was breaking in a pair of Paradigm Atoms for my daughter using, at the time, all Audio Research electronics and they sounded so good I bought a pair for myself.  I still have them!

Too many speaker variables for you to evaluate certain capabilities of the DAC. I admire your patience though. I would have put my speakers back in by now ;)

Anyone using a Curious usb cable with this dac? Is the usb cable that comes with it any good or would I need to find a better one? Lastly, does this dac benefit from a reclocker or is this superfluous?  Getting ready to pull the trigger...

@sns 

I was using an Uptone Audio IsoRegen with my Ayre Codex so that's why I asked. I'd prefer not to use add-on devices if they can be avoided but the IsoRegen made a significant and audible improvement.

I wonder if there is anything left to mod in the DA005.  Apos is showing "sold out" so I'm guessing these are backordered even at Shenzhen Audio.  Any info on availability?

I have to assume they still do not have any in stock. It would be nice to know how long it will take until shipping, a week, a month... No communication is an easy way to redirect potential buyers to competitors such as Denafrips, etc.

I sent another email to the address you listed.  The website no longer lists the DA005. This is concerning.

I finally received a reply from Shenzhen Audio when I emailed them directly and not via their website.  Nothing definitive as far as the wait time from the manufacturer but others here have posted several weeks so I am guessing this will be the case here. I pulled the trigger and ordered a Musetec DA-005 and anxiously await the new DAC.  I'll post my impressions here at the appropriate time.  Thanks to all above who have chimed in on their experiences!

I have very positive feedback to share about Shenzhen Audio.  Initially I had concerns about lack of email correspondence but this may have been due to problems communicating via their web portal email/chat links.  When I contacted them directly, I promptly received several emails answering my queries. When I had ordered the 005 I originally paid full price thinking I had missed the black friday sale.  This morning I received a notification of 10% refund along with a tracking number thanking me for my patience.  This is excellent customer relations that you just don't see much of anymore.  I hope the Musetec DA-005 DAC also exceeds my expectations!  Thank you very much, Shenzhen Audio!

@melm 

"Always a bit of normal anxiety when ordering from far away."

I admit I was a little jumpy. Thanks for talking me off the ledge!

I might need some guidance when setting up the new DAC. Currently using Audirvana Plus software on a MacBook Pro into a Codex so not sure which settings I'll need to change but looking forward to experimenting.  Any suggestions from you and others are welcome.  Eventually I will look at dedicated streamers.

@gracky 

Please post your impressions as the new DAC breaks in.  I am hoping to get mine by next Monday or possibly earlier based on your experience.

Good morning Musetec DAC owners. Any of you running your DAC into a Holo Serene or Musetec preamp and willing to share your opinion?

@yyzsantabarbara If the LA4 was a good match for the DA-005 then I would think the Serene would be as well. As long as the gain in transparency doesn’t sacrifice natural, meat on the bones imaging then I’d be happy. I don’t want my soundstage to look like an x-ray no matter how it may sound.  I’m still torn between the Serene KTE and a really good tubed preamp.  For now it would be paired downstream with a Pass labs amp and Verity Audio speakers.

@sirnui That you would try the Serene again says a lot.

@gryphongryph The Holo Serene KTE version sells for about $3200 and the Musetec preamp about $5500 I believe.  I've not heard either.  May I ask which tube pre you are using?