Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 23 responses by wharfy

@arafiq -I purchased the 005 and had the same concerns you did about 3rd row vs 1st; a bit smoother, and more analog, too revealing or unforgiving (and I don't have DSD albums). In my system (ARC, ProAc, Cambridge CXC and Aurender server) the differences between the 005 and the Holo May house sound are subtle and to my ears more pleasing-the articulation, fullness and staging are "all that". If you purchase from Shenzhenaudio you also have a 30 day return window. 

@arafiq -"Also, since I'm using a tube integrated amp anyways (Audio Hungary Qualiton a20i), I think the 005 will provide the perfect yin for my yang :)"

I have a tube based system and you are spot-on.

005 listening update-

It's been 3 weeks since receiving my 005 DAC. For the first 2 weeks I had it on 24x7 to burn-in because I wanted to get a good sense of what this DAC would sound like, within the 30 day return window.

By the second week, the satisfaction I derived listening to music through it exceeded the Holo Spring KTE DAC I replaced. The SQ of the 005 is neutral and revealing, without sounding harsh. Soundstage, space between instruments, placement within the recording are all qualities I want when listening, mostly to jazz. The other night, I played the Stones' "Exile on Main Street" and really noticed the sound smear that's integral to the album's production.

One thing I was concerned about, and this was based on my earlier experiences with ES9038 pro chips, was digital glare in the upper frequencies. That's not an issue for me, even though the 005's ability to play upper sound frequencies exceeds what my R2R DAC was able to do.

I'm very pleased with this DAC. Tomorrow I'm scheduled to receive a Pro-Ject CD Box R2S T transport. I'm excited by what I expect to hear.

Thanks again to everyone who has been sharing the listening experiences, and extensive knowledge about DAC topology. I've learned a lot.

David

@sns -"After a little over a year with this dac, and being very attentive to other's impressions, still waiting to hear a single criticism.  I wonder how long this can remain the case?"

My Polish grandmother often said, "Don't call the wolf to the door." LOL

With that said, it's very hard to find fault with the 005. If there is a criticism, down the road, perhaps it's build quality, with parts failing or falling off. Though that is hard to imagine.

Of course, this being A'gon, someone will complain that while it sounds like a DAC 3 or 4x its price, it doesn't sound like a DAC 5 or 6x its price.

One more thing-you appear handy with upgrades and mods-impressive.

David

@melm @jc4659 -Just an update on the thrill I am having pairing the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 and the Musetec DA005 DAC. I believe the synergy between the two is perfect to my ears, using the AES//EBU connection. I've had the DAC long enough to be well through the burn-in period, over 400 hours, and am enjoying the "new sounds" I'm hearing from oft-listened to CDs.

As an aside, I have a Aurender music server with a USB connector that sounds terrific because the DAC is USB optimized. When I get time I'm going to venture into CD burning because of what I've been reading on this thread.

@melm -Happy New Year!

Since I have a MacBook Air, I will be burning CDs via an Apple USB Superdrive, using dBpoweramp CD Ripper because there is no version of Exact Audio Copy that is Mac compatible. I have an Aurender N100H with an Ethernet Gigaport and 2 USB 2.0 data ports. I have a USB connection between the Aurender and the 005, which sounds awesome, btw.

Can anyone weigh about the presence or absence of higher frequency digital glare from the 005,  in a tube-based system?

I am following this thread, and others about this DAC. I’m considering an upgrade from a Holo Spring 1 KTE Dac. It’s paired with Audio Research Ref75 amp and an LS 28 pre; feeding ProAc 30 DR speakers. I like the combo a lot because of its black background, sound stage and holographic quality. Nonetheless, I am considering upgrading.

I’ve owned Delta-Sigma and ES chipset DACs and while I liked the higher resolution, the digital glare killed my ears because I’ve developed sensitivities to higher frequencies as I have aged.

Thoughts? It will be much appreciated.

@sns -Thanks for the overview response. Very detailed, giving me a lot to consider. I've rotated  Mytek 192, Ayre and Wyred 4 Sound through my system, and think you hit the nail on the head about the revealing nature with regard to poorer recordings. That's when and where the glare would be most prominent.

@melm -Thanks for your comments and insight. I agree not everyone develops sensitivities to higher frequencies as they age. In my case, I have. Too many years of screaming kids in school environments with terrible acoustics.

With that said, I put in my order for the 005. It's a no-brainer, frankly. The price and return policy convinced me it's worth auditioning and hopefully keeping. 

I am excited!

@melm - Thanks! It’s always exciting trying something new in my system. As you noted, I go back and forth between the positive attributes of Delta Sigma and R2R DACS. This will be fun. One question-You wrote, "...be sure to run it hard for the 30 days." When I’m not home I’m under the impression I should play a CD on repeat without powering up my pre-amp. Correct?

@dbb -I’ll be happy to share. I feel like I’m going beyond my comfort zone, and looking forward hearing what’s outside of it. I’ve been listening to music most of my life, starting with my parents console and then purchasing Lafayette Audio equipment waaaay back in 1970 with money earned on a newspaper route and yardwork. I definitely have enjoyed the ride, so to speak.

@dbb -Thanks for the advice. My Cambridge transport has either coax or optical. Which one is better for the 005?  And my Aurender music server has USB. I'm using an Audio Quest USB. Curious which USB audio cable you are using? 

@melm -"Anyway, someone who remembers Lafayette Radio probably has the time to rip his CD collection--as I did. 😀"

LOL!

I have an Aurender server with days worth of music on it. Think that will do it. Thanks again!

@milpai -Thanks! Definitely looking forward, and happy to share my impressions. And yes, I saw the comparison to the Holo May Level 2. I have a Holo Spring 1KTE and I am looking forward hearing the similarities and differences.

I read and re-read that thread with gret interest. As I did this one. What was the wait time for delivery of your 005? After reading about the supply chain bottle necks, and ships lining up outside ports waiting to unload, I'm wondering if this will be a longer than normal wait.

@melm @yyzsantabarbara  Thanks for sharing your shipping experiences. I emailed Shenzhenaudio asking about shipping and delivery. They said they would have my DAC in 3-5 days and ship via DHL Express.

Received notification that my 005 is shipping and will be delivered around 12/1. Definitely excited.

My 005 arrived Wednesday. After a 48 hour break-in, I’m impressed, even though the sound is "brittle." I can echo many of the things I’m reading from 005 owners. Staging, placement of instruments, micro detail. While listening to Thelonious Monk’s, "Live at teh It Club," there was a Larry Gale bass solo that I know well and it was so "real" I could hear his fingers dragging across the strings. Awesome!

Now, a couple of questions about the filters-is anyone using them? And why? And is anyone using I2S? If so, what are you impressions? Reason I’m asking about the SU1 is  that I have a Singxer SU1 that I was using with my Holo Spring KTE, and I’m wondering is I need it anymore?

Thanks for everyone who answered my questions and provided insight. This is definitely a keeper. Best for the holidays!

@melm ​​​​@sns -This morning's sound update-The sound is improving. It is more organic.

Played with the DAC this morning. The Singxer SU-1 is redundant. I am happy I have simplified cabling. When I sell the Spring 1 KTE I will include it as part of the sale. 

I am reading the manual and if I understand correctly TOSLINK and coax are not converted to I2S. Yes?

I am at about 100 hours into owning and playing my 005. I’ve been running my Aurender server non-stop since setting up the 005. There is a definite improvement in the sound. Staging, depth of sound, the highs and lows are all opening up and naturalizing, so to speak.

Prior to this DAC, I’ve owned a Spring 1 KTE for 4 years and liked the sound very much. The 005 has the qualities I liked in the KTE-dark background, fluidity, and then has much more to enjoy. The clarity is just awesome. When considering the 005, I was concerned about upper register digital glare. None, unless it’s in the recording. Another thing I like about the 005 is its resolution and clarity of micro details. At lower volume I can hear a lot of detail.

At the moment the music server is feeding the DAC via USB, and my Cambridge CD CXC transport is hooked up via TOSLINK and for comparison coax. At the moment, USB has better sound. If I could demo a CD transport with a USB out it would be interesting to A/B it with my current DAC.

I’m going to continue streaming, and by Friday night, when I have my next best chance to listen closely, I will have over 200 hours playing time.

I’m really glad I purchased this DAC, and the responses I’ve gotten on this thread have been very helpful.

@melm 

you make a couple good points, and have given me some ideas to ponder. Great point about the power supply and analog out. In my experience I’ve had some equipment, like a Music Hall Dac, that had a fantastic analog output, making it an overachiever. The Spring 1 KTE that I am ready to sell has a great power supply.

I’ve been following various threads about ripping CDs and streaming them for superior sound. Not sure about a number of things-If CDs are playing at 16/44 on a CD transport, why do they sound better ripped and streamed? Is it the limitations of the transport, or in the case of the 005 the USB and I2S configurations?

I don’t have anything to rip CD’s, nor do I totally understand JRiver. It’s a bit overwhelming (pun intended).

I’m 120 hours or so into the break-in period. Sounding better everyday. Many 005 owners speak glowingly of the DAC’s coherency. I definitely agree. I’m beginning to hear a wonderful synergy with the DAC and my Audio Research amp/preamp combination. The 3D presence of the music is something I wanted. The source component and the AR combo is providing that. I will definitely recommend this DAC.

Last thought-researching prices for a used 004, I imagine I they are a good price/quality purchase.

Thanks again!

@melm -"As for ripping disks, if you want to experiment, the popular free computer program for doing that is Exact Audio Copy."

Thanks for the info. Next opportunity I'm going to get an external disk drive and use it and Exact Audio Copy to try this out. My Aurender has 2TB of storage. 

"Of course a benefit of playing your own music from a hard disk is that it can be done from your easy chair."

That's more than one person's idea of nirvana.

One more update--played my better half her CD copy of The Nutcracker. She remarked that she heard instruments she did not know were there. 

It's been a while since I shared my impressions of my 005. Fully broken in now, it's an end-game DAC. One feature I like is how I can program the DPLL for my CD player (2) and music server (currently at 5). I do have DPLL question-How do I lower it?

Thanks sns! I know where the DPLL button is on the remote. I just can't figure out how to make the settings go down. When I push it, the bandwidth goes up.

David