Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

I've done my part to elicit critiques and comparisons of 005. I never only read positive or negative reviews of any product I consider for purchase.

Anecdotal evidence is replete in audio, deductive logic not worth much in cases where there are so few with actual experience of said product. Products with long track records allow much more confidence in purchasing decisions. 005 is one of those higher risk purchases due to so few owners here, credibility of product undermined when less than stellar reviews not heard. This is not miracle audio device, I've tried to describe it as accurately as I can, assume others doing same.

Here is another breathless comment on the 005. I want to get a second one for my downstairs system. The Benchmark DAC3B on my bedroom system will survive the purge of DACs after getting the 005.

So, I hope to have two 005's and 1 DAC3B (for 3 systems) which I will breathlessly keep long term. The DAC3B is a good match with my KRELL K-300i..I am sure the 005 would be a good match with the KELL too but I also like the sightly brighter DAC3B

I have also appreciated this thread and all of those who have taken the time contribute to it, for bringing my attention a lesser known piece of equipment that seems worthy of discussion at least and for some, for consideration. I have been considering purchasing one myself, so thanks to those with first hand experience sharing their impressions and comparisons where available, and I hope that will continue.

I will say that I find the fact that ShenzenAudio seems to have a different policy for returns in practice than stated on their web site a bit troubling, and certainly good to know - thanks @pt999 for making me and us aware of that. That’s particularly useful (imo) in this case of a (so far) lesser known and appreciated and therefore potentially not as easy to resell item.

All of the info in this thread is and has been good info and food for thought for me in considering this item and potential purchase.

For my $.50 (inflation adjusted value ;-) I hope that we can continue to hear and appreciate all of the different impressions and experiences with the product, similar and comparable products, and with sellers from whom we might purchase.

Hmmm... this thread is beginning to remind me of the Tekton threads from a few years ago. Same plot at work here .... a handful of fans singing praises of the brand, small sample size, anyone who dares to criticize the brand is ’dealt with’ appropriately, punching way above its price point, select anecdotes from people preferring the brand to other brands which are 3-5 times more expensive, etc. etc.

I just don’t see where @metaldetektor is trying to play the official policeman of audiogon. FWIW, I completely agree with his assessment, which I feel is fair and balanced. I can certainly relate to a lot of what he is saying.

And finally, instead of addressing the concerns (email) that pt999 raised, we are going after the messenger. So he is now an expert who borrows dacs to feign expertise? How else are you supposed to compare equipment in the absence of dealer stores? And who says that you cannot compare the 005 to May? If someone can claim that it beats the Mola Mola, I think it’s fair game if someone finds the May a better DAC compared to Musetec. Like most things in audio, it’s about personal preferences.

And finally, exchanging equipment in lieu of faulty equipment is not the same as returning something for a full refund. If the email reproduced by pt999 is indeed authentic, it is clear that Shenzen is not being upfront about their policies. If there is re-stocking fee than it must be stated clearly on their website. Otherwise, the company is being deceptive. Simple as that.

Here is the web URL that explains Shenzheaudio's return policy. Seems pretty clear here.

Guarantees & Return Policy – SHENZHENAUDIO

Here is the return policy for Apos Auidio the USA based seller of this DAC.

Apos Audio 45-day return policy | Apos Audio Help Center

Also, pretty clear about the policy.

What I find interesting is when people with very expensive gear feel that something much cheaper cannot be as good. There are 2 things to remember

- There is a personal preference aspect to gear.

- There is also a rip off aspect of gear.

It is clear to me that one place where one does NOT have to spend a fortune today for great sound is DACs.  The 005 and Gustard X26 Pro are 2 perfect examples for my tastes.

BTW - if anyone of you gets STUCK with a 005 (in black) send me a DM and I can see about buying it. 

Chime in as suspicion grows ;-)

I had bought what I thought was my keeper DAC, the mola mola tambaqui. Space, detail and tonal clarity like I’d not heard before. Then my business partner mentioned someone on here had mentioned the musetec out performing a another dac I love the holo may. Slightly incredulous, I agreed to getting one to try.

Long story short, a back to back demo made the mola mola

sound compressed and veiled, very much sound stage moved back between  thet speakers. That was that and I know have an 005 and £5k in my pocket or back on my credit card ;-). The only downsides are you really need a pre amp to hear it at its best but apart from that I’m not sure how they’ve done this for such a low price.

I know it’s no simple feet but I can’t recommend more highly, getting a listen to one of these, it really is too good to be true.

Still enjoying my 005.  Last week I attached a Gutwire Ultimate grounding cable to the RCA input.  That was quite a change as front to back soundstage and bass clarity jumped up a significant amount.  I am still not used to hearing this type of 3 dimensional sound in my system.  This change is profound enough that I am going to have to revisit my HQP settings and bass woofer settings.  

I am sure the Gutwire will  have a similar effect on other DACs but thought it was worth mentioning in this thread in case anyone was considering adding it to their system.

@arafiq 

I don't know anything about a Tekton thread.  But please, no false analogies.  At one point I wrote to you, "Which you prefer is a matter of taste, and no one can substitute their judgment on that for your own."  Is that the sort of post on the Tekton thread?

Just a bit of context about this thread.   It's kind of old, had a short spurt and then died in favor of the much more important one that is @dbb's comparison review with the Holo May.   That one encouraged a couple of people to actually try the DAC and who chose to report that here, and this thread took off.  As the OP it is my email that rings with each post. So I try to help when I can. 

You write of how criticism of the brand is treated.  Fact is, there has been no criticism of the brand.  The worst thing said about it here is that a person prefers his broken-in Holo May to the not-yet-broken-in Musetec.    And the response to that was exactly, "I respect the fact that pt999 might prefer the May over the Musetec and would be willing to pay the difference. One cannot argue taste."

Next you write about @metaldetektor, agreeing completely with his assessment.  But there has been no assessment; he has only pontificated, BSd and insulted.   He has not written here of experience in audio, only that he had multi kilobuck DACs at his place to evaluate.  According to him he bought one DAC, but it was gone by the end of the month.  Oh yes, he wrote, "I'm happy to write about your Musetec vs. the various 10k DACs I've owned/home-auditioned. Send it to me . . "  Can you believe it?  So which of his "assessments" do you agree with?  I have not seen any.

Then you say, we have not addressed the "concerns (email) that pt999 raised."  Did you not see the suggestions of contacting his bank and seeking a credit card charge-back and even reporting this to the FTC?  I did express skepticism regarding his "purchase" for it seems odd.   If we expect ethics on the part of merchants we should act ethically ourselves.  Ordering when a return is really contemplated is not ethical IMO.  He didn't even let the Musetec break-in. I remain skeptical; though that has nothing to do with DACs.  BUT, he is still entitled to his refund.

Finally, no one here has taken Shenzhen's side so I don't understand your final rant on the issue.  In a day or two I may have something to say about alternative sources.

In any event you say you are no longer interested in the Musetec (even if you remain interested in this thread).  That's fine.  I'm not on commission.😉

The cable has an RCA termination on one end that goes into the DAC.  The other end is plugged into the wall.  Assuming that you have the rack space, it is extremely easy to set up.  My experience mirrored the reviews on it.

@arafiq 

I have to agree. I was interested in this dac too. But not anymore. Certain things raised doubts in my mind.

Some folks are debating with others as if they own the Mustec firm OR have some sort of arrangement with them. And I observe the same - a handful of folks defending their territory that too so voraciously - on this and other forums. Next - if a person does not like Musetec's sound OR the return policy, so be it. Don't really have to be upset if your enthusiasm about the product did not meet someone's expectations.

And bingo on the Tekton thread.

BTW, I just want to make sure that my criticism was not directed toward the DAC itself. There are a few people whose opinions and feedback matters to me greatly, and @yyzsantabarbara is certainly one of them. If he is going to put his stamp of approval on the dac, I have no doubt it is a very good component for the money. He is one of the few members who actually buys these components before giving his feedback.

My issue was with the way pt999 was treated. As far as I know, he was doing a service to other members by highlighting issues with Shenzen’s practices. He simply shared his feedback and stated his preference. I always get uneasy when fanboys tend to shoot the messenger. And I’m sorry, claiming that he was ’feigning expertise’ is a loaded statement and the insinuation is not hard to miss.

Ordering when a return is really contemplated is not ethical IMO.

Let’s not get into ethical dilemmas. With the demise of brick and mortar dealer stores, this is the only way for people to audition gear. Lots of companies offer no-hassle return policies, and everyone understands that the reason they exist is to let people try out the products before forking thousands of dollars on something that might not work for them. This is not about ethics. It is simply another attempt to tarnish someone’s (pt999 in this case) character by bringing their ethics into the equation.

On the subject of improved SQ when a preamp is used with the DA005, has anyone tried with a passive preamp?

This would of course only affect the output aspect presented at the interface to the amp, and would not provide any gain. Does any one know whether gain specifically has a beneficial effect?

The reason that I ask is that I don’t (yet?) own a DA005, and happen to have a passive preamp (Saga+) not currently in use which I understand provides an output impedance of 180 ohms in the tube mode. I’m wondering whether that would be helpful, or whether a preamp with gain is needed to get the SQ benefits some have mentioned?

Please, I suggest that we don’t get (further :-) into the ’just buy it and try it’ discussion for now :-). Has anyone tried the DA005 with a passive preamp, or is familiar enough with the DA005 interface to know whether the the improvements come from impedance matching, signal level, or a combination of both?

Edit: The second para should read:

"This would of course only affect the output _impedance_ aspect presented at the interface to the amp, and would not provide any gain...."

@arafiq

You wrote, "Let’s not get into ethical dilemmas."

Why not? Taking advantage of return policies is a reasonable way to audition gear when you might actually buy the stuff. It’s not OK IMO when you just want to hear stuff that you have no intention of keeping. Especially when you’re talking about around the world shipping. What the motivation is for that, except building some sort of experience/expertise, is something you can ask those of who do it. If we abuse these relatively easy returns, they push prices up for everyone and will not continue on the same terms.

And yeah, I realize that the Saga+ isn't strictly 'passive'...

I'm trying to get at whether changing the output impedance presented by the DAC and/or pre-amp to the amp provides most of the benefit, or whether additional gain is important for best SQ with the DA005.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

@fl_guy

Perhaps this can help. I have good news and bad news. When I had the 004 I bought a Freya+ and used it with 2 Sylvania chrome domes. I liked it a lot and it bested an excellent SS preamp. Different than the Saga+ I used it with the balanced ins. It worked well with any of the settings on the Freya+. The analog sections of the 004 and 005 are very similar in architecture, though quite different in parts selection. So I think there will be a similar result.

The bad news is that I gave up the Freya+ because I wanted more preamp flexibility and had to pay a lot for it. I went to a Rogue RP-7. Though I did it for the flexibility, the result in SQ was quite substantial--still with the 004. I was surprised. So I’m going to guess that while the 005 will work well with the Saga+, the Saga+ may prove to be quite a limitation on the SQ you will get. I don’t know what else you have in your chain. Gives you an excuse to spend more money on a preamp. I got mine used.

It's too bad someone from Shenzhen doesn't respond to the issues which were raised as other dealers have at times in the past when wrongfully accused of poor customer service or unethical practices. The Musetec DA-005 DAC is excellent and I have no relationship with Shenzhen Audio or Musetec except as a consumer. For those who have drawn some comparison, I personally am not, nor will I ever be, interested in Tekton.

Thanks @melm. That's kind of what I expected, but it was worth asking :-). Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Out of curiosity, how would you compare the SQ result with the RP-7 vs the Freya+?

A new DAC at this time would already be an unplanned upgrade for me in the first place, so I'm trying to understand the likely actual cost (whether either initially or over time, its much the same for me).

The rest of the chain is a Chord Hugo 2, A&S Mogwai SE and Susvara. 

For what it’s worth I am using a Tortuga passive preamp with my 005.  I have not experimented with other preamps in the chain but can say that I am satisfied with the sound of the Tortuga and 005 together.

Interesting, thanks for the info @sruffle.

I imagine that you probably tried the system & DAC005 with and without the preamp. Did you find that the Tortuga improves the SQ result significantly? or are you perhaps using the Tortuga for other reasons?

Well @fl_guy I can give you exact answer! I too have Saga as back up to my Coincident Statement active pre. I've used it a number of times in place of Statement, sound quality much better than expected from such relatively low priced component. Saga does add texture, color vs. 005 direct.

Interesting - thanks for the info @sns.

Just for completeness, is that an OG Saga, or Saga+?

I've never liked dac direct,  between stripping bits, possible impedance issues, always too austere, clinical for me. Plenty of volume with Saga in my setup. I have Sylvania JAN-CHS-6sn7zw in saga.

As well as for your posts with impressions @sns.

Re "too austere, clinical for me" [direct] - yeah, that's been a common theme, and something of a concern for me, DA005 sound seems to be close to the analytical line. Sure wish I could hear it. It is what it is - thanks!

@fl_guy

First, I’m not familiar at all with headphone gear but it looks impressive and some steps above the Saga+.

I thought the Freya+ was very good sounding and certainly punched above its price, though the manufacturing was very clearly to a price. And its operation was a PITA. The Rogue was a very clear step above, and instantly recognizable as such. It had been some years since I had used tubes at all and I was quite impressed. Used it cost about 4x the new Freya+, but I was/am very happy with it. Fortunately it’s easy to sell Schiit stuff. I liked it enough, especially after rolling in some Mullards, that I eventually went for a Rogue amp. It’s hard to describe these things. I can only say that while it was a very clear step up it was not anywhere near the step up that the 005 was over the 004. I had thought that the 004 was to be my permanent DAC. Again, these things are hard to qualify.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Melm I have a question for you. Can you please email me b.miller1@live.com. Thanks

I have not tried the 005 direct to amp but have done so with other DACs.  The Tortuga helped them significantly so I just use it as my standard practice.

Thanks @melm, that's a helpful reference point.

Yeah the Saga+ isn't currently in use. Had it for another reason, not getting much use these days. 

I'm somewhat (superficially) familiar with the Rouge RP-7, so I have some idea. Definitely sounds like a nice step up, probably a better match and more representative. Although I did read the post from the user who seems quite happy with the Topping 90pre, and now a couple of people who like/d the DA005 with Schiit preamps, so it would seem that there is a range of options that could be at least acceptable.

Thanks again - cheers.

@fl_guy

And I liked the 004 with a Schiit preamp. But when I went to a much better preamp, I liked the 004 even better. Somewhere in an audio system, unless it is exquisitely matched, there will be the limiting component that will curtail the SQ. I don’t think it will be the 005.

I am spending some time today figuring out which of my interconnects are damaged from my rearrangement of gear last night. So far 1 XLR (this brand is a PIA). Since I have everything out, I can do a test of DAC direct to the CODA #8 amp. I am streaming from TIDAL|Qobuz. I use a Sonore OpticalRendu for the stream. I have 15-foot Benchmark XLR from preamp to amp or 005 to amp. I have "better" or the PIA XLR's from the 005 to the preamps (3 feet).

Today, I have tried out 3 combos with the 005.I have only been playing Michael Kiwanuka - KWIANUKA album. Just because I cannot get enough of this album, especially the song, This Kind of Love.

1) CODA 07x + 005 + #8 = beautiful rich engaging sound. I am really drawn into this combo. The sound is good at all volume levels. Though there is a slight bit of hiss when you get your ear close to the tweeter. The combo gave me goose bumps on my fav song.

2) Benchmark LA4 + 005 + #8 = crystal clear sound, not as engaging as the 07x but I like this sound in a different way. No hiss at all on the tweeters. Great sound at all volume levels. I tend to use the LA4 when I listen to hard rock.

3)  005 + #8 = No hiss at all on tweeter. Sounds a lot like the LA4, maybe the same at moderate volume. At lower volume the sound does not scale down as well as the 07x and LA4. The volume is a little dangerous to use because of the confusing buttons. I had the volume a little too high at one point and could not quickly turn it down, so I killed the ROON stream. 

The 005 direct to amp sounds rather good and likely sufficient for someone without a preamp. I will never use it this way because I am not a fan of the interface and I listen at low volume sometimes.

@melm re "Somewhere in an audio system, unless it is exquisitely matched, there will be the limiting component..." - Yep, so true. There's always something that's the weakest link, that could be better...

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your impressions of the DA005 with and without a preamp, and with various different preamps. That was helpful for me, and I hope may help others considering adding this product to their system.

Fyi fwiw I've placed an order. I expect it to be several weeks before it arrives and I get at least a bit of time on it. Thanks again - Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.

I said in response to an earlier post that I would look into possibilities other than Shenzhen. I have a lot of experience buying from overseas.

I did inquire with Shenzhen as a potential customer and asked them about their return policy telling them I had seen their email to @pt999 . After 48 hours I have not received a reply. Perhaps if pt999 has attempted to return the 005 and can tell us exactly what he was confronted with, that would be valuable information. Given the possible need of a bank charge-back some may wish to order from there; others will not want to. support@shenzhenaudio.com

I contacted Apos Audio, who has NOT been selling the Musetec for about a year. For some reason they maintain a very detailed web page on the Musetec and it usually comes up first when Musetec is Googled. They confirmed that they do not sell it. I was asked if I might like something else they offer.

The Musetec is sold by more than one Chinese seller on ebay also offering a 30 return privilege--buyer pays return postage. With ebay behind you I, personally, would not worry. It’s been my experience that ebay favors the buyer. Their delivery times though seem very long, which seems to be the norm on ebay items from China, so one should inquire with the seller very specifically about delivery. If they promise delivery in writing and too much time goes by without sending a you tracking number you should be able easily to cancel. There are other Chinese sellers such as those under the AliExpress banner, but I see no benefit there.

Another possibility is the European distributer, Clear Components in Cologne Germany. They deliver world-wide. Their price is currently 3250 Euros including VAT. When you take VAT out of it and translate to dollars I have it at $3044 plus $85 delivery, but please do your own math. I do not see them offering a 30 day return. A couple of folks on the head-fi thread have bought from them, and vouch for them. They say they have a limited number available and say they have a 5-8 day delivery time. info@clear-components.de

Finally one can buy directly from the factory. If you inquire there will be perfect information about price, stock and delivery. My experience was that if it’s in stock it will go out the next day. No returns. List price probably. I was certain about wanting one, and buying from the factory means they get all the money (Paypal) and don’t have to split it with a retailer. bleerock@126.com

I noticed that Network Acoustics is now selling the 005 in the UK. They state on their website: We are extremely particular about the electronics we use to develop and test our own products, and in the quest to find a reference quality DAC we discovered the Musetec MH-DA005. This DAC has replaced a much more expensive (£9,000), very highly regarded and well reviewed DAC and it trumps that DAC in all departments. . .

@melm Thank you for the information. This is very helpful. As I mentioned above, my decision to not go with Musetec had nothing to do with the quality of the DAC itself, but more with the 'perceived' lack of clarity on Shenzen's return policy. I'm sure it's a great DAC, otherwise @yyzsantabarbara would not have preferred it over his beloved Benchmark.

I went back and forth between three DACs -- Terminator 2, Holo Audio May, and Musetec 005. I probably would have been happy with either one, but today a good deal on a used Terminator 2 showed up and I grabbed it. In the future, I would love to give Musetec a try when funds become available. And if it really is better than the Terminator 2, I might consider selling the T2 and keeping the 005.

Having said that, I'm considering an LKS 004 for my home office system. I will appreciate it if someone can share their impressions about the previous version.

This is my update on the Musetec 005 after 2 weeks. My Musetec now has more than 350 hours of playing time after 16 days. I decided not to return the unit to Shenzhen Audio.
In my first report after one week at about 150 hours on the 005, my experience with the May and Musetec DACs are: on the May DAC, the sound reaches out farther and more distinct in a 3D space, the Musetec is a little further back. The vocals seem more fluid, hanging in the air a little longer with the May, thus the sense of air and bloom around the instruments are thicker. The tone is crisper with the May. Overall the May presents the illusion of the band in the room closer and more realistically. I felt more engaged in the presence of the musicians.
Now at 350 hours on the Musetec, the difference has closed significantly. The 2 DACs sound very similar. Switching back and forth multiple times on the same music passage, some the differences I found before are no longer valid. The Musetec air and space are about the same as the May. I can’t say the Musetec soundstage is further back. There is still a slight difference in the tone of the 2 DACs; the May is crisper. Instruments and vocals appear a little more distinct and fluid in space, probably from a darker background on the May. At this point, I’m not sure I can pass a blind listening test identifying which is which.
My high sensitive system built around the Edgarhorns (Thank you Dr. Bruce Edgar, we love you, RIP): Router & Small Green Computer i5 Roon server -> TRENDnet switch -> CAT6 cable to EtherRegen side B with AfterDark external clock -> fiber -> Sonore Optical Rendu -> Inakustik USB cable to -> DAC -> balanced cables to Holo Serene preamp -> Wavelength custom 45 amp -> 107dB Edgarhorns with Seismic sub driven by James 1000 DSP amp; Shunyata Denali 6000S on components, PS Audio P500 on LPS and Roon server. I have the same Cerious Graphine Matrix power cables between the 2 DACs and the same Raven balanced cables from DACs to Serene Preamp. When switching DACs, I move only the USB cable from one DAC to the other in Standby, adjust the preamp volume +1dB for the Musetec.
Operational wise, the May can handle everything from the SGC i5 Roon server with HQPlayer upsampling (within limits of the i5 processing power). My Musetec has sound glitches at 96K (or above) sampling frequency using DPLL BW1. I disable Roon DSP to use native sampling rate, set the Musetec DPLL to BW3 during tests to avoid glitches. These random glitches are annoying during listening. I want to use HQPlayer but kept getting Roon "lost audio device" error when switching DACs. The Musetec USB input is limited to DSD512/PCM384K. The May USB supports up to DSD1024/PCM1.536MHz. I only use USB and PCM. I don’t want to spend endless time testing every different combinations. I’m not attached to equipment; they are just a means to listen to music. At this point, I prefer the May DAC for its smooth operation with Roon/HQPlayer, and my preference towards the May tone.
I don’t engage much in Forum conversations, for a very long time now due to personal reasons. Please treat this as a data point from a single user’s opinion.

@pt999 

Thanks for the update! It's good to know that with ample burn in the DA005 closes the gap with the Holo May DAC.  I have no where near the hours of playing time on my DA005 but already perceive changes that are very impressive.  I am using the optical output from a CD player and CDs have never sounded so clear, smooth, and dynamic with the DA005.  Using usb from a laptop is not quite there yet but with less than 20 hours of actual playing time I know the sound will improve.  So far I am very satisfied with this DAC and it is a significant jump from the CODEX I had been using which is no slouch!

@jc4659 Toslink (optical) outs on cd transport and 005 input is the worst possible. Yes, galvanic isolation, but well documented as poorest connection. Try coax out, will be much better.

Streaming with usb will be much better with dedicated music server vs. general service computer.

@pt999 You have network issues somewhere if you can't run Roon non DSP on DPLL BW1 without glitches, I've never had a single glitch on DPLL BW1 in over a year, anything less is not hearing full 005 capability. No glitches when I've occasionally tried DSP. I'm actually surprised you can use much Hq Player dsp with I5 processor.

@sns 

I am aware of the limitations of Toslink but I have a suspicion that the CD player leaks current. I have tried coax out in the past and twice I had a reclocker go out.  I have not had any problems since switching to optical out.  I believe the galvanic isolation is helping.  The CD player is an older Meridian 508.20 factory updated to 508.24 status and the IEC connection has no ground prong.  I don't want to risk passing extraneous voltage/current into the new DA005 DAC.  At some point I should have the CD player checked out since it is built like a tank.  I recently discovered that certain digital power cords when connected to a Furman power distributor cause the CD player to frequently display "No Disc".  Changing power cords and plugging into the wall enables the CD player to play that same disc.  Clearly, the Meridian has some power issues.  Despite these, CDs sound great using Toslink into the DA005.  I'll eventually retire the Meridian.

@jc4659 Sounds like cd player may be on last legs. I gave up cd's when couldn't find adequate replacement for my Mark Levinson  #37. If you're considering replacement transport you should check out  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T, tons of great reviews, mechanism designed by same guys who designed Phillips Pro, one of the all time great transports, and used in my still missed ML 37. I'd pick this up in a minute if still playing cd's, Also has I2S output, if someone could figure pin out configuration on Pro-Ject could be used with I2S in on 005, that would be a killer combo.

@pt999 

I agree with you on the sound of the May except I found that the black background and instrument separation was achieved by omitting detail. To my ear the May provided less detail and more separation.  This is to me a contrived but pleasing effect. In reality, detail and separation decrease as your seat moves back in the hall. The May, as I heard it, gave less detail as if you were seated further back in the hall, but, paradoxically, more separation. That is contrary to reality and reality is my bias.

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for a Great New Year to all.

@arafiq 
Thanks for the kind words.  All of these are terrific components.  You were lucky to find a used one in good condition because they are all considered to be keepers.  I didn't lose much sleep over the very small benefits I might have gotten by choosing something else.  My strong belief is that what comes before the DAC and the rest of the system afterward can have far more impact.

@pt999 
Terrific post comparing to your Holo May KTE.   As you say, another data point, really next to what @dbb  has written.  Very different set of surrounding components, probably different kind of musical samples.  Valuable information for anyone contemplating purchase of either unit.  

@jc4659 
Nice to know that the 005 is working out for you.  I'm not in total agreement with @sns .  I found, at least when playing disks from my Oppo, that I preferred a Toslink even over an Oyaide silver spdif.  An optical cable was recommended by a cable guru that is inexpensive and VERY good.  It is called "Cable Matters Toslink Cable" and available from Amazon. 

Well, the Musetec DAC must be reaching an unanticipated level of acceptance so that its name is now being used to shill for a competitive, virtually unknown, product.

As for the competitive product, it seems actually to be aimed at the Holo Audio Spring level of DAC and their customers rather than anything more advanced. However, based upon what I see inside it should not attain the SQ of the Spring.

If we bypass the laudatory review and actually look inside, what do we see. Or rather what do we NOT see. We do not see a totally separate power supply for its digital side. That is a feature usually found on DACs that aspire to a higher level of SQ. Rather, the two sides are powered through the same transformer. That alone should be sufficient to distinguish it from the Spring.  

But I’ll take this effort to be complimentary to the Musetec. Now perhaps @high-amp should go on to one of the Holo Audio threads and interrupt over there. I’m certain they’d appreciate his effort.