Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 50 responses by sns

Since getting 005 just over a year ago, I've made number of changes in system, not because 005 injection of some unwanted coloration, rather solely increasing resolving capabilities of entire system. And this to system that's long been pretty damn revealing.

With recent boutique tube insertion, burn in nearing completion, and subsequent resolution increases, I'm at point where I can make some conclusions in regard to 005.

There are components that commit sins of omission, others sins of commission. Sins of omission easy to achieve, less than maximal resolution may hide unheard sins of commission. On the other hand, sins of commission often committed, difficult thing here is determining which component causing it.

Of course one issue with determining  sins of omission is, how do we know we're suffering this if we have never heard the unheard. So, this is inherent problem with my nearly final conclusions in regard to 005. I can only say I've heard many other systems in nearing thirty years building systems/audiophile. I've heard best of best at shows, admittedly not best conditions, also many nice systems at other's homes.

Point of above, I've heard sins of commission and omission over long term. So, conclusion I'm coming to in regard to 005. This is one of those rare components that suffers no known sin of omission, this thing uncovers much previously unheard information, I presume 005 at or near SOTA here. And what about sins of commission, this I had been less sure of up to now. While resolving capabilities never in doubt, I had bit of doubt in regard to timbre specifically.  I detected a bit of what I'd call whitewashing, lack of color with 005, sense of performers in room, just lacking flesh and blood presence. With recent boutique tubes this lack of color nearly totally gone, flesh and blood performers in room, reach out and touch palpability, And so, try as I might, have not been able to find sins of omission or commission with 005, quite an achievement in my book.

It will be up to others to provide more context with 005, therefore, direct comparisons with other SOTA dacs. We already have that with favorable comparisons to Holo May and Mola Mola Tambaqui. While only anecdotal, it is what it is. Until more come along we only have this. As for me, I have no intention to provide that context as my pleasure with 005 instigates no motivation for this. At this point, all my near term efforts will be on analog side, my analog far behind digital.

In conclusion, while my experience totally positive with 005, may not be dac for everyone, in wrong system I could see how one could perceive it as analytical, 005 doesn't hide the warts. I can see it overwhelming one's senses with sheer resolving powers, but perception as analytical in long run. I can only say, one has problems elsewhere if this perception of 005 held, 005 capable of high resolution with natural, true to life texture and color.

The whole point of voicing is inherently subjective, either manufacturer and you sympathetic or not. Bobby wasn't trying to voice Merlins to appeal to every listener, no universal voicing for the masses. Above also may apply to specific genre of music a component or system works best with. VSM is particularly sensitive to this issue as lower bass simply missing in action.

Again, voicing is based on long term listening with variety of music in static system.

@melm I agree dsd recordings have unique sound qualities, but then mine are all best of best originally analog recorded and sympathetically mastered recordings or Blue Coast recordings.

I've continually tried at various times to incorporate dsd conversions of pcm recordings via Roon dsp, always have preferred no Roon dsp of any kind. HQPlayer dsp reportedly superior to Roon. Sublime sound quality currently experiencing lends no motivation to incorporate HQPlayer into my streaming setup.

While I've not spent a lot of time critically comparing hi res  directly to 16/44, my listening sessions don't include searching for hi res recordings or even paying any attention to these particulars. I find this informative in that it doesn't bias me towards any particular format, I find no substantive differences in these solely pleasurable listening sessions. The original recording and mastering are by far the most substantial variable for sound quality. Remastering can help, but you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. I'd also suggest unless original recording done his res the differences you're hearing from recordings originally done in analog or 16/44, and then converted to hi res are likely solely due to differences in the mastering rather than the hi res itself.

Popping on DPLL due to some issue in your network, try 2 and up, if nothing here for sure network issue. Coarsness will go away in time. System willing, 005 extreme resolving capabilities will provide inherent sound staging and imaging abilities giving illusion of performers in room. Even without the refinement that comes later, and can be added to one's system, this dac extremely engaging. I've never been able to play this dac while multi tasking, even at low volumes attracts my attention.

@jjss49 Your insights very much appreciated. I believe the 501 uses the 9038, 502 as well.

As you all know, I love the sound of 005, absolutely no complaints, I believe Musetec voiced it to best of their ability.  We can't know how it would sound with different measurements, so we trust Musetec and our own sensory perceptions, and in the end that's all that matters. Lesser measurements of unit are only issue for Musetec sales, reputation, those who rely solely on measurements for purchases or estimations of quality, and those who own unit, don't trust their sensory perception, thus, feel insecure in their purchase, I know at least one in this boat.

@lordmelton I only went by Aurrender's own literature is describing their usb out port. I'd think they'd give us some more information if they were doing any more than what they state. Tell us what type of clocking and whether discreet powered. I suspect the power issue is weakest part of implementation. You've heard the positive impact of quality power with the I2S unit, you should provide same for usb prior to concluding one is preferable to other.

By the way, I'm not concluding I2S COULD not be superior to usb, both have inherent liabilities, and I've not heard all possible connections and equipment. Far too many variables in streaming to come to many hard and fast conclusions. It would be nice if you could get something like the Phoenix usb renderer for a more equitable comparison, I for one would be very interested.

Yes to the above, and I did neglect to mention the possibility of simple usb renderers, not streamers, which means one can use server with non optimized usb port connect it to usb renderer which then connects to dac. The simple usb renderer has only usb in usb out, streamer renderer has ethernet or optical in, usb out. Also there are streamer/dacs in which case internal streamer of dac will provide the galvanic isolation, hopefully good power supply. This what my Okto Dac stereo did with internal raspberry pi. PS Audio network card does this, although differing opinions on it's efficacy. Playback Designs supposedly has nice implementation.

Lordmelton is running Aurender server, in previous post I questioned this as Aurrender only states in literature that port being optimized and being clocked. So it appears somewhat optimized with the clock, but still running directly off motherboard and getting power from the server power supply. So appears somewhat better than standard, but not what I'd call optimized.

While I've not researched this, I've heard of usb/network converters in which case one could make server work like mine with the two network ports, one for network input, one for output. This would also bypass the usb. So one can do this with the single network port with separate streamer by using network switch which then feeds streamer. But then optimizing this then becomes necessary, which means audiophile switch with good lps, more money, complexity.

So, what we have here is two levels of servers in regard to usb implementation. There are the non optimized usb servers, which are generally cheaper, these would include NUC's  Raspberry Pi's, and non atx boards in most off the shelf servers, may be forgetting other solutions. So then, need to add streamers, audiophile switches or usb renderers to get optimal usb solution. Then there are the top shelf servers with usb optimization built in, no need for any add ons of any kind, these would be servers like Innuous Statement, Wadax, Taiko. There are also top flight servers made to be used with streamers, personally I like the Antipodes K40,41 here. I suggest best implementation for these kinds of servers is having a SECOND ethernet port, forget the usb in server altogether, many good choices for usb renderer/streamers. This is route I take.

Just to explain, atx motherboards are essentially made for MS Windows machine. The reason these aren't used is likely because of prohibitive cost to fully optimize. The off the shelf atx server would be unaffordable for vast majority. But then atx boards do have the ability to be the ultimate best server to my way of thinking. You can massively optimize every single port, you can run hugely powerful processors if  dsp is your thing, you can have the absolute best implementation of power supplies for each and every critical section (atx boards have various voltage and amperage requirements for individual sections of computer). You can run Windows OS which some claim best, you can run Linux. So DIY atx server can compete, perhaps even beat the Wadax's and Taiko's of the world, although I would say that very tall task.

That 005 wouldn't compare favorably with dac at whatever price is what I'm waiting to see. I'd honestly like to understand what it's deficiency or deficiencies may be, I'd likely be interested in purchasing dac that outperforms it.

Having said that, I believe this dac not best for everyone. Per metaldetektor, there are dacs with flavoring others may prefer. Still, I'm really having a really hard time describing this dac as lacking warmth, it just may more easily found with inherently more forgiving, intentionally warmer dacs. I'd suggest that would be dac with less resolving capabilities.  Or could be one with equally high resolving capability, but rounder, more prominent bass or rolled off highs.

Continuing estimations of 005 flavor. Coming to end of burn in of Psvane Acme 300B,  Linlai Elite 101D in Statement pre. And I've long heard Shunguang Black Treasure 300B, Psvane WE and Linlai Mesh plate 101 in pre, and finally my Coincident 845 and modded Prima Luna Dialogue Four. All these amps and configurations of tubes with 005.

And now, experimenting with Takman carbon film resistors and Audio Note Seiryu coupling caps vs. carbon comps and metal films in Statement pre. Also added Texas Component TX2575 resistors and Duelund Silver Bypass in 300B, and same in modded Klipschorn crossovers previously.

So, through all these changes, 005 clearly exposed each and every change, resolving capabilities not in question. Flavor of each and every change has also been exposed, I've been in near analytical territory to what at this very moment may be slightly skewed to warmth side of scale. With 005 it appears I can flavor my system without touching the 005. What this points to is 005 can be considered reference piece, a truly neutral component. Up until latest changes with the Takman carbon resistors I'd never heard the 005 move toward warm side, considered it inherently neutral to analytical voiced. 

One thing that never changes with 005 in my system is this highly involving sense of live performers in room. Amazing thing is never having sense of annoyance during burn in of all of these various components, I suffered listening fatigue a few times, but only after minimum four hours in.

After a little over a year with this dac, and being very attentive to other's impressions, still waiting to hear a single criticism.  I wonder how long this can remain the case?

@yyzsantabarbara Hmm, wonder if due to inability to acquire chips or coming out with new iteration of same function?  Doubt it was due to lack of sales, see many in use. I'll contact Andrew and see what's up. Still waiting on my OpticalModule, hope order doesn't get cancelled.

I've never considered return policies from overseas sellers as most efficient way to audition equipment. Between shipping, possible custom fees, time constraints, restocking fees, always sold my audition equipment.

No surprising someone finds 005 dac not for them, no dac is for everyone. 005, assuming one's systerm capable of exposing it's resolving capabilities would never be less than engaging, however, its not a flavored component. Some will perceive that as analytical, not soul stirring. There are many recipes available in getting to soul stirring systems, 005 may not be right ingredient for all recipes.

pt99 experience is the one criticism I presumed would arise at some point. The recurring thought I have is the person considering tube dac or R2R dac for their reported flavorings will be those most likely to not like 005.

Some want digital to sound like vinyl, a futile effort in my opinion. I do accept digital can be more or less forgiving, but analog, no. I have pretty nice analog setup, and grew up listening exclusively to analog so I think I have pretty good idea of what analog sounds like. For me, digital doesn't have the TIMING of analog, analog has a sense of relaxation, ease I've never heard from digital. Highly resolving dacs only accentuate this difference in systems not optimized for digital. The same dac that sounds analog like in one system may sound harsh, analytical in another. 005 requires every single aspect of system to be optimized for digital in order to show it's full capabilities. One shouldn't expect it to sound just like vinyl, for some thats no go, reason they don't care for any digital. As for sense of actual performers in room, this is reachable for digital, and 005 in particular. For me vinyl is romantic, warm and fuzzy feelings, 005 digital totally engaging, exciting, both satisfying in own way.

From my perspective, 005 is nearly last piece to put in already digital optimized system. Streaming needs to have top notch network, usb renderers, cabling, etc. home AC cleaned up, no grounds issue, room treatments, and of course sympathetic amp, pre, speakers, top notch transport for cds. If 005 purchased prior to full system optimization very likely one will be working on rest of system to obtain full capabilities of 005 or selling unit.

In this, I don't think 005 different from any highly resolving piece, it will show the warts. One has to pay steep cost to get both highest resolution and soulful presentation, all the t's must be crossed, i's dotted.

I've done my part to elicit critiques and comparisons of 005. I never only read positive or negative reviews of any product I consider for purchase.

Anecdotal evidence is replete in audio, deductive logic not worth much in cases where there are so few with actual experience of said product. Products with long track records allow much more confidence in purchasing decisions. 005 is one of those higher risk purchases due to so few owners here, credibility of product undermined when less than stellar reviews not heard. This is not miracle audio device, I've tried to describe it as accurately as I can, assume others doing same.

@phastm3 In re-reading your post, mentioned Antipodes, while I've never heard, I do like technologies they incorporate into their servers and streamers. One of the few who optimize for a variety of streaming configurations. Antipodes understands two box streaming solutions, don't rely on usb outs on motherboards to be default or only configuration.

Well @fl_guy I can give you exact answer! I too have Saga as back up to my Coincident Statement active pre. I've used it a number of times in place of Statement, sound quality much better than expected from such relatively low priced component. Saga does add texture, color vs. 005 direct.

I've never liked dac direct,  between stripping bits, possible impedance issues, always too austere, clinical for me. Plenty of volume with Saga in my setup. I have Sylvania JAN-CHS-6sn7zw in saga.

I previously had any number of ethernet based network configurations. Some time ago started experimenting with optical conversion schemes, definite upgrade. Just recently went to Sonore UltraRendu streamer, absolutely fabulous resolving capability and more analog like presentation, never knew digital could be so relaxing, even luxurious. Close call between 005 and UltraRendu as to best streaming/digital upgrade I've experienced in nearly thirty years since incorporation of digital in my systems. UltraRendu will require nice LPS for optimal sq.

@lordmelton I'm rather suspect in regard to usb implementation on N20, not much info on that in their literature. I suspect coming directly off motherboard with some unclear optimization. Also, what usb cables did you use?

Also, its been my experience divorcing server from streamer has been most effective for usb.  Servers are rather noisy environments, total galvanic isolation post server critical. My streamers have allowed both galvanic isolation and usb rendering, reclocking to provide best possible usb implementation. Network improvements closest to dac are most effective.

While server manufacturers rarely if ever speak directly to above issue, their product offerings make it clear they know its a real issue. Take the Innuous Zenith servers, perhaps most popular server out there, why do they offer Phoenix usb?

With atx board servers, many ports can be upgraded very nicely, no separate streamer needed if you get this right.  The lps gets complicated, however. As mentioned previously, hoping to hear atx build soon.

Based on melm's investigation that dac may be overpriced. With more acceptance of Chinese forays into higher end audio we may see more new Chinese products come onto market at inflated prices in order to maximize profit margins. Price doesn't always reflect actual value, this holds true for equipment manufactured in all countries.

@jc4659 Toslink (optical) outs on cd transport and 005 input is the worst possible. Yes, galvanic isolation, but well documented as poorest connection. Try coax out, will be much better.

Streaming with usb will be much better with dedicated music server vs. general service computer.

@pt999 You have network issues somewhere if you can't run Roon non DSP on DPLL BW1 without glitches, I've never had a single glitch on DPLL BW1 in over a year, anything less is not hearing full 005 capability. No glitches when I've occasionally tried DSP. I'm actually surprised you can use much Hq Player dsp with I5 processor.

@jc4659 Sounds like cd player may be on last legs. I gave up cd's when couldn't find adequate replacement for my Mark Levinson  #37. If you're considering replacement transport you should check out  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T, tons of great reviews, mechanism designed by same guys who designed Phillips Pro, one of the all time great transports, and used in my still missed ML 37. I'd pick this up in a minute if still playing cd's, Also has I2S output, if someone could figure pin out configuration on Pro-Ject could be used with I2S in on 005, that would be a killer combo.

@lordmelton I'll never do the comparison unless I was using usb out of server, this is where my main beef with usb resides. You're still essentially using usb out of server, just switching LKS for Aurrender, to my mind you're comparing LKS and the external power supply to Aurrender usb as much or more than usb to I2S in 005.

In my setup I avoid ALL usb prior to OpticalRendu, I have totally optimized usb with total 100% galvanic isolation prior to usb using optical conversion, and have avoided any conversion schemes within server, server is only network device and place for Roon core and library. So server is minimal device, least imposition of noise or imprint on final sound, then 100% galvanic isolation of the maximally minimized noise emanating from server, and this noiseless signal being reclocked in OR using very good clocks and power supply (Uptone JS2), which is last thing in chain just prior to excellent usb board in 005.

End result for me is just incredible sound quality, so far above prior usb and ethernet schemes I've tried. I really have no motivation to ever use any usb out of a server again. If I did it would have to be custom atx build with totally optimized usb. 

Until you all have heard the advantage of forgetting server conversion using usb or I2S or any other conversion scheme you won't know what you're missing. I'll mention again, the only off the shelf server with a second ethernet port I'm aware of is Antipodes, otherwise custom atx build is only way. The way most servers are built today means they are main bottleneck to getting full potential out of streaming, assuming one has good network and dac.

For someone willing to experience this, try the Antipodes K50 for all in one server, K40 or 41 for server only with one's choice of streamer.

AQ Diamond should be nice. I preferred AQ Diamond vs. WW Platinum for usb, Diamond more natural in my setup, WW a bit analytical. I hope you're using .5m cables, longer I2S subject to reflections, read about this on audiophilelifestyle.

I'm continually amazed by the amount of information contained within 16/44 format. I've yet to have a system or source that's extracted full measure of 16/44. It would be interesting to hear of someone who believes they've heard ultimate limitation of this format. I suspect there still isn't a dac capable of extracting all available info here.

But then, the question becomes, how can one be sure they're hearing limitations of format rather than equipment?  Obviously, there is an objective limit to amount of info with 16/44, but how can we truly know we've reached it? We can't experience these sins of omission until we've heard that objective limitation. Knowing this spurs our never ending chase of yet higher resolution.

Early marketing of cd format as 'perfect sound forever' was thought of as laughable for decades. Respect for 16/44 continues to grow over time, not so laughable today, and many moving to digital only systems.

@debjit_g Yes, I understood that, I was just relating the AQ to WW in general sense, presuming same metallurgy so perhaps same sound signature with all cables of that particular model. Its possible I could be wrong here?

@agentwja  Of dacs you mentioned Denafrips Terminator more in this class, RME a step down, this based other's reviews and comparisons.

I agree it would be informative to audition both R2R and chip dac together, just be sure  both in same segment of market. I've seen too many comparisons of dacs with different topologies in different market segments where one comes out on top and the other condemned.

My take is the top dacs can all be pleasurable in right system, one is matching flavors more than resolving differences. The less obvious differences, which may include micro dynamics, timbre, tonality will take longer term listening to ascertain.

@fl_guy  005 not forgiving, yet is NOT UNFORGIVING. This is kind of hard thing to wrap one's head around. Sometimes we think of equipment that is not forgiving as having to be unforgiving. 005 is rare beast in that it toes a very delicate line between the two.

005 is not editorializing in any way I can perceive in over year of ownership. I've changed out tubes, resistors, capacitors in various equipment, three amps (two SET, one push pull tubes), two linestages, various network changes for streaming, different power cords,  and 005 just kind of keeps chugging on. It illuminates every change, yet never goes off in some unintended flavor direction. It is rather like an unchanging reference point for all other changes to system. System went off in analytical direction once with addition of audiophile switch, otherwise has always remained NEUTRAL.

I just have a hard time ascribing some sort of over arching flavor or characteristic to 005. What color is neutral? Can't recall another piece of equipment in over thirty years as audiophile that I couldn't adequately describe with some color or temperature characteristic. Color is like invisible and temp. is exactly between hot and cold, warm and cool.

@benzman For usb cables with power leg, simply tape over power leg within connector with tape. Having said that I've not really heard any perceptible difference doing that versus leaving it connected.  I use AQ Diamond usb, but then this not latest and/or may not be greatest, I've never noticed what are thought of as stereotypical coloration using silver clad copper in either ethernet or usb cables, YMMV.

I've always presumed usb input on 005 superior to others as great efforts have gone into optimizing it, don't see anything special about other inputs. At one time I had ability to use I2S, sold off Singxer SU-6 and I2S cable without ever attempting to use it, wonderful sound quality of usb gave me no cause for further experimentation.

I may be interested in the Merlin Black Magic if VSM and master bam. I've not yet tried my modded VSM with 005, Klipschorns are sort of like permanent fixtures with size and exact placement being obstacles for moving around speakers. PM me with particulars, don't want to hijack thread.

@fmzip I have hard time believing one could get 005 level of performance with any 004, no matter level of mods. 005 excellent power supply is just one section of dac that can't be replicated wtih 004.

Still, you're not getting everything 004 can offer. Using stock mac mini may be weakest link in your setup. I've had four mac mini setups over the years. 2009 stock mini, 2014 stock, 2014 with Core Audio (no longer in business) internal and external power supply, 2014 with Uptone Audio MMK and JS-2 lps. All modified minis also optimized as music sever, therefore, only essential apps operable. Modded minis  far surpass stock minis. I'd likely go for better server prior to possible purchase of 005.

LPS on your Kitsune would also be nice upgrade. My take is reaching 005 potential requires first class network, clean AC.  I also suspect 005 with usb feed preferable to I2S input. I have Kitsune SU-6, yet to try since purchase at same time as 005. Great sound quality with usb input, don't feel the need to even experiment with this. I presume great amount of engineering effort for 005 usb input make it the preferable input. Also,  with usb  one can run Roon endpoint/steamer discreetly. Divorcing streaming function from Roon core is optimum setup, usb allows this.

With your list of mods! Only reinforces my sense stock mac mini is your weak link, server quality does make a difference. If you were to keep mini, Uptone mods, for off the self, Roon Nucleus, any NUC or can go way upscale. I'm planning on diy solution, $2.5K in parts alone, yes, my experience is server is one of the most important components in streaming chain. With your total setup, I'd think upgrade in server would be easily heard.

My take on even 004 modded to your level, can't replicate 005 ultimate sound quality. I mentioned power supply in previous post as I presume this is fundamental to 005 performance. One of the highlights of 005 performance is it's simply magical micro dynamics, this single aspect gives 005 breath of life, the very essence of this dac for me, unique power supply of 005 delivers this.

@fmzip  Uptone doesn't offer upgrades for M1 mini's.  That Teradak should be worthwhile upgrade for your M1, I use Teradak LPS on some of my equipment, very reliable over many years.

Only the Nucleus plus would be able to process DSD512 without dropouts. The regular Nucleus or whatever NUC you tried didn't have enough processor capability, generally you're going to need Intel I7 to process higher rate DSD. The M1 has plenty of processing power.

I didn't know or perhaps didn't see you were running high rate DSD. For people running these high rate DSD via Roon, HQplayer, etc. low level Nucleus, NUC's and even some of the higher priced off the shelf solutions won't do the job.

fmzip, Do the Teradak along with some optimization, therefore, shutting down unneeded apps, should give you server that would require substantial expenditure to beat. If you go with Teradak, please report back your impressions.

With I7 processor that NUC theoretically should have functioned properly, however, Roon has list of known NUC's that work with ROCK, that particular NUC not on list.

The Teradak will work, requires installation of internal filter. While I presume this superior to stock mini, I wouldn't expect its comparable to earlier minis with Uptone MMK and JS-2 LPS. We're talking $300 for M1 vs. $1100 for earlier/my mini, still worth a try. LPS on mini easily best streaming upgrade I've experienced, fiber media conversion is another no brainer upgrade.

005 will expose every single flaw and upgrade in streaming solution, have plans for major upgrades in order to extract full potential of this dac.

The Uptone JS2 won't work with M1 mini, internal power supply not compatible, its designed to accept SMPS. Uptone would have to produce internal power supply, like MMK for earlier minis to work. I presume the Teradak LPS requires their internal filter to work correctly. All the internal mini ps are designed for SMPS, won't work with LPS. https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/60969-apple-m1-chip-for-music-server/#comment-1093146

I do agree running higher amp LPS than called for is always good thing.

@metaldetektor I believe some have reported as much as 400 hours. I never started serious listening below 100 hours. Easy to burn in dac, just leave on with signal flowing through, don't need music playing through speakers.

@sonic79 This is assuming one is using HQPlayer. Certainly, if one wants to use HQPlayer to full potential extreme processing power needed, Roon DSP doesn't require as much. I believe even Roon Nucleus or any NUC with I5 and above is sufficient.

I've made presumption JS 2 won't work with stock internal SMPS, and even if any LPS would work with it, what's the point since Its SMPS.

This is what I've been saying, you have to replace external and internal power supplies as a package. Now I don't know if Teradak internal filter will work with Uptone JS-2 or any other external lps.

By the way, I previously ran that Core Audio Tech, internal and external LPS until it fried. Went with Uptone package after, also considered Mojo Audio package.

Congratulations! Where does it say dpll 6 best setting for DSD?

While the Hidiamond usb may be great at that price, you can do better, it will pay off. I've used Supra, Cardas, Wireworld, settled on AQ Diamond, you will definitely hear difference with your nice setup.

By the way, I just purchased Sonore opticalrendu, this will replace one fmc, lps and Sotm sms200 neo. We were speaking of clocks, this has two femto clocks, based on reviews should be definite step up from Sotm. Also likely to go to Sonore optical module to replace tp link fmc, again, this has femto clock. Also, considering Small Green Computer sonicorbiter I9 server vs diy, one of the few servers with optical out.

All this relates to getting more of the potential out of 005. Nearly all my network upgrades help to make 005 more analog sounding, along with resolution improvements. For all the people streaming, optical is way important. My goal is to eventually be all optical from modem  onward.

Yep, usb is superior way to go with many dacs. Also has the advantage of using various usb rendererers/streamers and fiber conversion. For most, usb beats even I2S which should have inherent advantage of native topology within dac, therefore, no conversion needs to done within dac.

We were speaking about the importance of clocking, think of all the superior clocking schemes within renderers/streamers and/or fiber media converters, jitter virtually eliminated. And then the advantage of galvanic isolation with above devices. 005 usb is also state of art or near, much engineering effort here.

@dbb  After further research I've decided to move in another direction. I have Sonore opticalrendu coming in tomorrow. This will replace one of my TPLink FMC and SOTM sms200 Neo.

I've been streaming for six years now, greatest improvements I've experienced were LPS and other optimization on server, splitting server/streamer functions and fiber conversion. The optical rendu serves two functions, improved streamer vs SOTM and replacing one lower quality FMC, My next move after this will be Small Green Computer Sonictransporter I9 or DIY server, either way will have optical output. This all in service to application of all optical network post modem.

Based on my experience and others with mature streaming networks, optical provides the highest resolving network. I'm also trying to simplify my streaming solution. With the above changes I can get rid of two FMC, the two lps to power them, this all post server..In front of server plans to get router with optical capability, no added switch required with this.

005 simply continues to excel with latest upgrades of 300b.101D tubes and Audio Note caps, Takman resistors in Statement pre. With tubes and new parts nearly fully burned in the closed in, uptight sound quality has been greatly alleviated, the bloom is getting nearly fully realized. Sound quality continues to relax with greatest resolution ever experienced, this is getting to be increasingly analog like sound quality. Opticalrendu should only increase this analog like presentation, working towards luxurious quality with extreme resolution. I fully believe 005 is capable of this presentation.

@dbb I have all Audioquest Vodka, longest cable 1.5m, only one that length, rest 1m. I've been told its the connectors where the emi/rfi gets in. Regardless, optical will get rid of all, I expect all optical streaming will be de facto in near future. The Sonore also has dual femto clocks which is definite improvement.

@yyzsantabarbara  I'll get the opticalmodule at some point in future, unless I get Sonictransporter I9 which has opticamodule built in. I considered the Signature rendu se optical, but at $4800 is stiff price to pay for built in high quality LPS. I'll power mine with Uptone Audio JS2 which is fine lps, expect I'll get most, if not all signature sq for much less money. Are you powering with 7V?

It would be nice to see sonore come up with router or switch with opticalmodule built in. I presume sonore has optimum fiber interface at this moment in time.

So what are qualities of sound that change with Synergistic fuse direction? I can never be sure what I'm hearing with directional changes is real, imagined, confirmation bias. This is one of those tweaks I'm no totally convinced of, I run the orange just to eliminate another unknown resulting from curiosity. Not sure I'm willing to spend more on purple based on above.

I didn't like audiophile switch with my setup, and suspect I'd not like any switch. I've bridged second ethernet out of modded mac mini using thunderbolt port. This way I can go direct out from server to streamer or FMC (later opticalmodule). A second ethernet port is pretty rare in servers, Antipodes and SGC I9 only ones coming to mind.

This direct connection to end point/streamer was pretty major upgrade for sound quality. In my setup, adding switch means signal has to detour through the added switch and another ethernet cable. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55217-sonore-opticalrendu/page/27/#comment-963599 In this link John Swenson makes case for how everything in network prior to optical conversion affects accuracy of clocks in Sonore optical module and rendu, and all ethernet and optical devices. It seems the entire network important, even with FMC.

I've seen that, don't quite understand the ethernet out scheme, point of FMC is to use fiber cable. This isn't FMC, rather just a filter.

This is all about getting full potential of 005, for us streamers so many avenues, worthwhile to explore the many available.

I've owned the 005 for almost year and a half, not a single issue. Dac's in general are one of the most reliable audio components. Heat is greatest enemy of audio equipment, 005 doesn't generate much. I'd be surprised that any 005 will suffer failure in coming years. While I've not opened mine up, photos show quality in all components and circuit boards. Updating usb board is likely the only routine maintenance ever required.

@blang I saw that ad in USaudiomart as well, thought it may have been a dealer demo, seems I was incorrect. Apos audio used to carry 005, where I purchased mine, don't know why they discontinued carrying it.

Some report up to 400 hours, I didn't do any serious listening until I had somewhere around 100. Standby is proper, suspect more wear and tear on power supply if constantly powering down. 005 USB state of art, I've never felt the need to try i2s which I have available setup for. I prefer slow filter, although I don't hear major difference between the two.

As far as upsampling, never felt the need, YMMV. Try both and see what you prefer.

Shenzhen, the city in China is presently in Covid related shutdown, being the silicon valley of China I can only wonder how much longer before stocks of 005 and other Chinese audio offerings are depleted.