Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 14 responses by arafiq

@sns ​​​​@melm thank you for answering my question. I was almost set to get the Holo Audio May Dac, but now I’m wondering if Musetec is a better buy. From what I’ve read so far I feel the May Dac is going to be more to my taste — bit more laid back (third row vs first), a bit smoother, and more analog-like. But is it worth an extra $2k? I know this is something no one can answer on my behalf. Another thing I like about Holo Audio is that they have a dedicated DSD engine. I have quite a few DSD albums which I play often, so this might be a deciding factor. 

my other concern is if the Musetec might be too revealing or unforgiving compared to the May. Tough decision!

Thank you for the valuable input! I have thought long and hard (for about 20 minutes, which is my upper limit nowadays it seems :)) about it and based on what I'm hearing it will be hard to justify spending an extra $2k+ on Holo Audio May. I like the fact that Shenezen Audio provides a 30-day return policy. So not much to lose if I don't ed up liking it. I'm going to purchase a 005 next month. I'm assuming they accept Paypal.

Also, since I'm using a tube integrated amp anyways (Audio Hungary Qualiton a20i), I think the 005 will provide the perfect yin for my yang :)

@yyzsantabarbara 

We had a DAC in common in the past, which we both liked. The 005 is a different animal. Incredible sound, it just keeps sounding better with more hours. I must be around 200 now. Give it a much burn-in as possible in your 30-day trial. I noticed it was a great DAC at under 100 hours but it does sound even better now, especially the bass.

I bet the 005 is sound sublime now that you must have put more hours on it. I presume the common DAC that you're referring to is the Audio Mirror Tubadour III, right? Well, my reference DAC as of now, believe it or not, is the Luxman DA-06. This DAC has proved to be quite a bit better than the AMT and a few other sub-2K dacs that I have tried in the last 18 months. I can't believe this is an 8 year-old design!

However, your impressions of the 005 are super helpful. I know you have tried a bunch of DACs in the past, so the high praise from you is duly noted. I am going to order the 005 next month. If it proves to be better than the Luxman, I will keep it. Otherwise, I will avail the 30 day return policy.

The other contenders on my list include Denafrips Terminator 2 and Holo Audio May. I've always had an affinity for the R2R sound. I wish there was a way to audition them without having to buy them first, but that's simply not possible nowadays.

Wow! Thank you for sharing the information @pt999  I was ready to pull the trigger on the 005. The plan was do compare it to my Luxman and return if it didn’t cut the mustard. Surprised no one else bothered to mention this important fact. 

For me, connecting with the music is paramount and significantly more important than detail retrieval. This was my main issue with Topping D90 and Chord Qutest. If the 005 is cut from the same cloth, regardless of the quality of parts, it’s basically a no go for me. Too expensive to audition. Moving on. 

Hmmm... this thread is beginning to remind me of the Tekton threads from a few years ago. Same plot at work here .... a handful of fans singing praises of the brand, small sample size, anyone who dares to criticize the brand is ’dealt with’ appropriately, punching way above its price point, select anecdotes from people preferring the brand to other brands which are 3-5 times more expensive, etc. etc.

I just don’t see where @metaldetektor is trying to play the official policeman of audiogon. FWIW, I completely agree with his assessment, which I feel is fair and balanced. I can certainly relate to a lot of what he is saying.

And finally, instead of addressing the concerns (email) that pt999 raised, we are going after the messenger. So he is now an expert who borrows dacs to feign expertise? How else are you supposed to compare equipment in the absence of dealer stores? And who says that you cannot compare the 005 to May? If someone can claim that it beats the Mola Mola, I think it’s fair game if someone finds the May a better DAC compared to Musetec. Like most things in audio, it’s about personal preferences.

And finally, exchanging equipment in lieu of faulty equipment is not the same as returning something for a full refund. If the email reproduced by pt999 is indeed authentic, it is clear that Shenzen is not being upfront about their policies. If there is re-stocking fee than it must be stated clearly on their website. Otherwise, the company is being deceptive. Simple as that.

BTW, I just want to make sure that my criticism was not directed toward the DAC itself. There are a few people whose opinions and feedback matters to me greatly, and @yyzsantabarbara is certainly one of them. If he is going to put his stamp of approval on the dac, I have no doubt it is a very good component for the money. He is one of the few members who actually buys these components before giving his feedback.

My issue was with the way pt999 was treated. As far as I know, he was doing a service to other members by highlighting issues with Shenzen’s practices. He simply shared his feedback and stated his preference. I always get uneasy when fanboys tend to shoot the messenger. And I’m sorry, claiming that he was ’feigning expertise’ is a loaded statement and the insinuation is not hard to miss.

Ordering when a return is really contemplated is not ethical IMO.

Let’s not get into ethical dilemmas. With the demise of brick and mortar dealer stores, this is the only way for people to audition gear. Lots of companies offer no-hassle return policies, and everyone understands that the reason they exist is to let people try out the products before forking thousands of dollars on something that might not work for them. This is not about ethics. It is simply another attempt to tarnish someone’s (pt999 in this case) character by bringing their ethics into the equation.

@melm Thank you for the information. This is very helpful. As I mentioned above, my decision to not go with Musetec had nothing to do with the quality of the DAC itself, but more with the 'perceived' lack of clarity on Shenzen's return policy. I'm sure it's a great DAC, otherwise @yyzsantabarbara would not have preferred it over his beloved Benchmark.

I went back and forth between three DACs -- Terminator 2, Holo Audio May, and Musetec 005. I probably would have been happy with either one, but today a good deal on a used Terminator 2 showed up and I grabbed it. In the future, I would love to give Musetec a try when funds become available. And if it really is better than the Terminator 2, I might consider selling the T2 and keeping the 005.

Having said that, I'm considering an LKS 004 for my home office system. I will appreciate it if someone can share their impressions about the previous version.

@sns I agree with everything you're saying. But still it's wise to disclose such information upfront. 

Full disclosure -- the guy who wrote the head-fi review is now a Musetec dealer :)

So do you think they’re going to easily believe that a $3000 Chinese DAC using ESS chips can outperform a $13,000 European DAC based on an FPGA?

I don’t think so.

So there we have it. How predictable. The subtle implication that all these low-IQ, gullible audiophiles who have been brainwashed by the audio press and jingoism don’t know any better. Only a ’select’ few know the truth that all expensive dacs are basically snake oil and anyone who believes otherwise is either ill-informed or simpletons. The messiah complex strikes again! Lol!

Has anyone done a direct comparison of this dac with Denafrips Terminator 2? Sorry if this was mentioned earlier and I missed the post. 

@jjss49 i was really hoping you would pick one up for review. While I have a lot of respect for other posters in this particular thread, I value your opinion even more highly. You’ve gone through a ton of dacs and don’t suffer from the usual fanboy delusions. Awaiting your objective review with great anticipation.