FAVORITE POWER CABLE under $100 (1M)

Ready to replace my stock power cables with a limited budget...Ideas, opinions, favorites please...

larseand

This thread popped up again.  I just reterminated a batch of chinese cables this weekend.  While they often use surplus cable from good manufacturers (this cable was marked Cardas) the workmanship needs to be checked.  Here are pics of one of the worst ones but I only found a couple that I would have been happy with as found.  If you do rework the terminations, then these cables are a great buy and will get you most of the way there.  they certainly are large enough (10-12 awg) that current will not be limited.  I included an after pic.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1px8EBufDN9ci7AT8

+1 Audience Forte - a few very positive reviews

@soix - Cullen cable - fantastic referral

Like many have alluded to, I’m not confident that the $100 budget is high enough to get you a satisfactory sonic uptick improvement. One can easily expect a sonic improvement over stock power cables if the budget was up to $1k, $100 budget not so sure.

If you can diy, then Furutech 14awg S022N. Price for 1m with plugs would be around 110$.Perfect for sources and integrated amps of reasonable current draw.

I never had this cable but I have a bigger model, FP-S55N paired with Furutech NCF 48 gold, and sounds too "HI-FI" to me. That’s why I preffer TCS762 / TCS31 instead

@petg60 Can you tell what are you using as connectors for SO22N ?

I mentioned upthread that I had an Accuphase 40th Anniversary coming from Aliexpress a few months ago and now can comment on that cable. I ended up ordering one initially which I put on a subwoofer and a CD transport to good effect. 

Ended up ordering two more as I liked the results with that one in those two positions but wanted to experiment a bit more seriously, particularly on my phono preamp. Disclaimer: I had all these cords (and all my previous power cords) cryogenically treated before slotting them in my system for any serious evaluation so YMMV with this cord but the overall character should be as I describe without cryo; typically the treatment will result in slightly more extended frequency extremes, a smoother, more detailed midrange and more refined high frequencies but the treatment will not change the overal tonal balance or character of the original cord/wire. 

I rarely use the CD transport and, with a sub you are talking about only extremely low frequencies so it's perhaps a bit harder to draw a serious conclusion about a power cord's true ability in that application. 

But I finally got around to putting one of the Accuphase clones onto my phono stage (an Aqvox Phono 2CI) where it replaced a Viborg 1501 (also cryoed and with Viborg's top of the line all copper non-plated plugs on it), 

The 1501 is no slouch and a very good cord IMO. In the past I've used or had experience with a number of commercial offerings (some up to a retail price of around $500). For many years I used DH Labs Power Plus with Marinco connectors (all cryoed) but moved on to the Viborg 1501's in the past few years as I experimented with one initially and then essentially outfitted my entire system with them. They were a pretty huge improvement on the DH Labs. 

To my surprise, I found the Accuphase clone, at around $30 U.S. if you can believe it, to be a nice improvement over the Viborg 1501. At first I thought that the Accuphase lacked some of the bass energy that the Viborg has; that might be one area in which the Viborg might be better, but the more I listen and use the Accuphase, the more I have misgivings even about that. 

In the midrange and high frequencies the Accuphase simply sounds more natural and refined than the Viborg on my phono preamp. There's a slight edge and glassy quality in the midrange in particular that I did not realize was there that vanishes with the Accuphase clone. It's not a flashy, hi-fi kind of cord if you're looking for something like that: just more of a really neutral, but fleshed out & full bodied character. Sounds incredibly natural for lack of a better description. 

I'm not sure how the Accuphase would fare on my tube integrated-perhaps it will be too much of a good thing compared to the Viborg on that piece of equipment. But I've just ordered another one to try in that position and will report back. 

I cannot see anyone being disappointed by this power cord-it is crazy cheap and its price/performance ratio is off the charts. Price is not always an indication of performance. On some of the other audio forums, users there are divided over whether the Accuphase or Neardost clones provide better performance-some favor one over the other and vice versa but for around $30 U.S. the Accuphase is a no-brainer to try out. 

I ordered both from audioConnector Store and moonsaudio Store on Aliexpress: very good product and service from both of them. 

I'll post back in a few months after trying the next one on my integrated. 

I don't think you'll find much difference at this price point. Well, they might be different, but they won't necessarily improve your listening experience.

Duelund 12 gauge from Parts Connextion you can buy bulk wire and build one. They also have them already built on sale for $149.00. 

I will say that from my experience, synergy between a cable and the equipment that it is being used on should be a consideration. That being said, I will add a third vote for Supra LoRad power cords. I've tried 10 other power cords on my Denafrips Pontus II DAC ranging from $15 to $1400 and the Supra has been better than the rest than I've tried. I know this will be difficult to believe, but improvement from switching from any of the other power cords that I've tried to the Supra LoRad power cord was subjectively bigger than the difference between my Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra streamer + Denafrips Pontus II DAC (total of $2500) versus a $14.5k dCS Bartok streamer-DAC that I auditioned last summer.

I am using Real Cable Citrine for my DAC, Furutech Roxy for my integrated amp, and Furutech Odeon for my sub.

But for my Furuteh TP80 mains conditioner I use a 1.5m DIY Belden 19364 that costs 25 USD to make (including the plugs) from my local Belden dealer. The Belden is probably the cheapest most palpable upgrade you can make. It is a power cord with very strong characteristics. It adds warmth, lots of body, and healthy amount of bass.

I actually compared it in my system to a significantly more expensive DIY Furutech DPS-4.1 and was very surprised that the Belden actually managed to extract more bass from my system. But just one Belden 19364 is enough in the chain. I actually had a pair made and initially connected another one to my desktop that is connected to my DAC. Overall sound became too thick and highs became rather metallic. So just one is enough. 

If you have a local Belden dealer, try to get from them as it would be significantly cheaper. You could purchase a factory finished one from Belden itself on Amazon Japan, but it costs around $135 USD. 

Post removed 
Post removed 

$100 budget limit on power cable wouldn’t get you much. Wait until you are in a $400-$500 range. Making baby steps in this hobby is usually a waste of time and money.
But…if you want to spend $100 now to upgrade the power cable just get the best plugs you can get for $100, chop you stock cord plugs off and attach the new ones. If you want to make the power cord prettier, get an expandable jacket but I wouldn’t bother. Something like the
Viborg rhodium plated plugs should make a nice improvement when used on a 14awg stock power cable.

You can just get a better quality cable later on and transfer these plugs there.

@jjss49 

"It is usually best when the discussions here are about music and the gear that reproduces it"

+1

Clearly, some people don't understand that insulting others is a poor strategy for changing others' opinions. 

@larseand -

You could try a variety of PCs via the Cable Company's Lending Library, for small rental fees, which would be applied to any purchase(s).

They do have a few that fit your requirements/budget constraints:

https://www.usedcable.com/power-cables.html?dir=asc&order=price

https://www.usedcable.com/lending-library

Have fun and HAPPY LISTENING!

@carlsbad ​​​ & @mbolek (et alia)-

It's dismaying, the number of those that refuse* to acknowledge the blatant facts & obvious truths regarding energy, inflation and the commie agenda.

JUST POLITICS?     NO (it's our current REALITY)!

*willful ignorance, gas-lit and/or: deaf/blind/stupid = no diff

Here's hoping the, "alia" ilk will see this, before it's deleted.

@larseand "stock power cables"

in order to help you please clarify what device/manufacturer stock cable you are looking to replace. 

120V/220V AC power cables have to be approved by UL or other authority in your country.

@lollipopguild 

+1 for Supra Lo-Rad.  Male and female Supra connectors are about $20 ea. and the cable about $4.50 /ft.   No fancy tools needed. Keep the drain wire connected at the AC source  but not at the component end.  I've found that tinning the ends of the stripped wires makes assembly a lot easier. Or you can use uninsulated copper ferrules. The cable is pliable and easy to work with.

Post removed 

I really like the SonarQuest connectors.  They have several versions, but my favorite is their basic copper.  If you want to make it look better swap out the plastic shell with one of the fancy looking Viborg/Krell/Acrolink aluminum shells.

A good PC is just really good conductors (OFC/OCC), solid connectors, secure connections.

Post removed 

I'd recommended either Supra LoRad 2.5 SPC CS or Belden, so long as it's well shielded with the shield earthed. I really don't see much point in spending more. 

MS HD power make great plugs. Easy to wire up with plenty of room in the UK wall plug. Far better value than Furutech. 

@musiclover1 and  ​​​​@mbolek 

Yes. Viborg 1501 (I am partial to the 1501 terminated in the top of line Viborg male

and IEC copper plugs-VM/VF 502 or 512's and have those in use in my system) with the top of line Viborg connectors is a seriously good power cord. 

It falls slightly outside the discussion in this case because it is just slightly north of $100 but it is an outstanding cable and gets better when cryoed. I use them in my system on an Aqvox Phono 2CI preamp, a Unison Research Triode 25 integrated and an Audio Sensibility power distributor. 

I also use the Viborg 1606  that I have DIY'ed with the Viborg connectors in a secondary system on a Shengya A-216 and another Audio Sensibility power distributor so have a bit of experience with both Viborg cables. 

The 1501 with quality terminations is going to be competitive with a lot of European and North American commercial offerings in the $750-$1500 range particularly if you can have it cryoed. 

Possibly well beyond that. I auditioned a bunch of power cords about a year ago with a friend who had them on loan from a local dealer over the Christmas holidays that included Cardas Clear, some higher range Audioquest (which I thought were the best of the bunch) and Nordost Tyr, which I wouldn't trade even for any of my Viborg cords for what it's worth. The Tyr was an absolutely hideous cord in the system that I heard it in, which was quite good. 

Which may not be an absolute indication of quality as opposed to the idea that system synergy may in fact play a very big part in all of this. 

@testpilot what do you do with the extra?  coil it up?  that makes a noise generator.  I like cables to be just the right length.  

I do think some salespeople like to sell longer cables but don't think they have any good technical reason.

Jerry

Post removed 
Post removed 

hdm...

Also using a Viborg 1501 connected to a DS Audio 003 phono EQ...and to very good effect....

Cheers....

The Aliexpress Accuphase clone is getting a lot of buzz online currently and is available at around $30 U.S. I have one on the way for a bit of fun and will report back after I put it through its paces.

It will replace a DIY using basic Viborg connectors and JPS inwall cable (both cryoed) on my CD transport and I can also experiment with it on some other pieces of equipment where it will replace Viborg 1501 with top of the line Viborg connectors.

Loaned the DIY JPS out to a friend last year and he felt it was the equal of his genuine (as opposed to fake LOL) Nordost Brahma at around $1400 U.S.-the Viborg 1501 (which I’ve also had cryoed) is IMO much better than the DIY JPS here.

Said friend just put a pair of the 1501 Viborgs on his new Macintosh 451 monoblocks and they (the Macs and Viborgs) sounded quite good when I heard them recently.

1M 1501 with aluminum bodied rhodium plugs is available slightly above $100 on Amazon.com (my preference would be the copper plugs which are a bit more at around $140), but the less expensive Viborg 1606 with more basic Viborg male & IEC is available at around $70 for 1M and is also a very good power cord.

Maybe Carlsbad should have said, pre 8% inflation, or whatever the exact figure is. Under $100 is tough as far as a cable thats going to give any actual sonic improvement. For a bit more you can get into Audio Sensibility entry level. He makes very good cords. Or watch for a used Synergistic Research Master Coupler.

I honestly wouldn't waste (any more) money on sub-$100 PC cables. I have many including ones from Maze, AQ, Iceage, Pangea and many unbranded Chinese made PCs. None offer anything more than the stock PCs. Pangea actually sounds worse due to sounding closed-in and muffled. I've relegated them to my LPS units powering media converters. I didn't start hearing a difference until I stepped up to OCC Copper or much more expensive AQ lines (ie Thunder). Spend ~$200 and buy a UP-OCC PC from a reputable company (not a fly-by-night fleabay or Amazon Chinese vendor claiming OCC is used in their cheap, phony cables). Otherwise just save your money and keep using your stock PCs. Moon Audio or Audio Sensibility are two reputable, high-value OCC cable makers that I've bought from. I'm sure there are others. 

Please "NO POLITICS"

Ali Express has some cables at pretty good prices. Granted you do not know what they are made of, even if they say OFC on them. They also sell some nice connectors. 

Best deals are used cables. Most are in like new condition.

tweak1, I just began using that cord with an upgraded/modified Parasound Zamp v3 amplifier and quite like it

I don't typically follow audiophile power cable prices as they may (or may not) relate to political affiliation. Maybe it could have something to do with supply and demand. I do follow the prices of EV's and know that Tesla's were a few thousand more pre 2020.

This is too funny....

Pretty sure he also did it to gas prices.

Take a look at Viborg. I have a couple. Solid cables.

Look into old audio magic power cable , they have purple color pc it’s less than $80.It has huge soundstage.

FAVOURITE POWER CABLE under $100 (1M)

Stretch your budget and go for a 1.5M cable, more versatile :-)

Post removed 
Post removed 

it is usually best when the discussions here are about music and the gear that reproduces it

Post removed