Building a 100 album vinyl collection 3 must have albums are?

No opera or rap in the three must haves. Sorry.

128x128hbarrel

Byron Janus - Sergei Rachmanioff Piano Concerto No. 2

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays - As Falls Whichita, So Falls Whichita Falls

Diana Krall - Live In Paris

Okay - another 3 Lp list:

Props to Stevie Wonder here:

1. Talking Book

2. Innervisions 

3. Songs in the Key of Life 

Avalon .... Roxy Music

Golddiggers Album ..... Leon Bridges

ZZ Top .... Greatest Hits

1. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

2. Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame

3. Al di Meola - Cielo e Terra

Dean Martin. Dreaming with Dean 45 RPM. Deep luscious voice that I could not believe Ho good he sounded. 

My 100 LP collection would also have to include:

- The Dwight Twilley Band: Sincerely. The best melding of 1950's Rock 'n' Roll and 60's Power Pop I've ever heard. An incredible album!

- Rodney Crowell: The Houston Kid (though it would need to be pressed on vinyl. It is presently available only on CD). A masterpiece of a "theme" album, with Johnny Cash guesting on "I Walk The Line (Revisited)".

- Buddy Miller: either Your Love And Other Lies and/or Cruel Moon, both offered on LP by Bear Family Records out of Germany. Buddy is a fantastic singer, guitarist, bandleader, and producer. Both albums are stunningly great.

OP, great thread, we get a hint of member’s tastes, reminded of great stuff, ...

3 Current ’New To Me’ artists, with links to quickie finds, there are many music videos

Rising Appalachia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeULeHtHBfw

Larkin Poe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy0RGsd2-JA

Mandarin Orange (before they changed their name)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHkyZ62jjQ

If I were to be allowed a second list of three, it could include:

- Emitt Rhodes: s/t debut. Better than McCartney’s debut.

- Dave Edmunds: Get It. Dave was my favorite artist and producer during the 1970’s and 80’s.

- Rockpile: Seconds Of Pleasure. One Super Group worthy of the title. Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Billy Bremner, and Terry Williams. Along with The Band, the best live Rock ’n’ Roll band I ever saw and heard. The Who with Keith Moon were incredible too, but that’s not really Rock ’n’ Roll, now is it?😉. Plus, to hear them you have to be willing to hear Roger Daltry "sing". Ugh. Another band in the running for that title were and are NRBQ. Fan-f*cking-tastic!

But to do that I would have to ignore my best of/greatest.hits albums of Hank Williams, Chuck Berry, and The Everly Brothers. Those three albums would make a good start on a Rock ’n’ Roll library.

• Tapestry - Carol King
  • In My Tribe -10,000 Maniacs
  • Boston - Debut Album by Boston

I thought it would be fun to compile "MY" list of 100 albums from your responses.  Some of the artists I liked, but not the album, so I choose mine.  I also added some artists/albums that haven't been mentioned yet, but most came from above.

I'm up to around 90 so far.  It's been kinda fun.  Not as easy as you'd think.

Thanks everyone for the input.  A lot of these albums I haven't listened to in like forever.  Need to correct that...

1) Steely Dan - Aja

2) Brian Eno- Another Green World

3) John Coltrane- A Love Supreme 

1) Steely Dan - Aja

2) Brian Eno- Another Green World

3) John Coltrane- A Love Supreme 

The point would be to get the most enjoyable musical experience, so in my book, direct to disk is the only game in town. 

Sheffield The King James Version  ( Harry James)

Sheffield, Hollywood Town  ( Amanda McBroom)

I never found a really well done classical guitar.  Kind of why I quit playing "with" music and went CD so I could just "play" music.  Yes, an LP can sound great, but on average, no. Limited dynamic range, poor SNR, ticks-pops, eq that is very rarely close to RIAA,  and never sound as good as the second playing again. 

Now, the above responses did list a bunch of great music that should be in everyone's library, be it a 45 or HDCD. A few I am missing.  Darn, got to have them!

I'll add 3 that haven't been mentioned and could be my desert lp's.  These aren't my top three, but so many of my fav's have already been mentioned.  All are awesome discs with great content throughout.

Tommy Bolin -Teaser

Santana III- one of the greatest guitar albums ever with an awesome groove

Grover Washington Jr.-Skylarkin

Bonus: George Benson-White rabbit

Winelight-Grover Washington Jr

Sotho Blue-Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya

Walking in Space-Quincy Jones

Journey-Fourplay

Thriller-Michael Jackson

Soft Space-Jeff Lorber Fusion

Takin’ Off-Herbie Hancock

Healing the Wounds-The Jazz Crusaders

Tenderly-George Benson

Beyond the Blue Horizon-George Benson (so 70’s CTI down to the cover art!)

City Life-The Blackbyrds

What a great thread!!! My three faves are all live albums.....I like to go to the show. In no particular order because I love them all:

1.  Live From Deep in the Heart of Texas, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen.  THIS is beer drinking music by some of the best musicians you will ever hear. I have worn out 2 LPs...

2. Have to agree with WYOBOY "Waiting for Columbus" by Little Feat may be the best live album recorded. Got a MOFI copy that I prize!

3. A Show of Hands by Rush is just superb. The lyrics are as relevant today as when they were written. Excellent recording and production. My neighborhood knows this album well....

And just a throw in, one of the best produced albums I've ever heard

Recycled-Nektar I have clipped more amps with this recording than anything else in my library. Great fun, maybe the best album art ever!

Can’t do it. 

I need at least a vague idea of what your preferences are. 

I have 6,000 LPs, dunno if I could choose 30, never mind 3. 

I take it a rap opera would be unsuitable?

OK, serious question: do you care for jazz? classical music? Have to check because some of the best recordings I know are in those genres.

XTC- English Settlement

Kraftwerk - Computer World

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Aja

Dark Side

Kind of Blue

Too easy. A better discussion if you are trying to discover (to some degree) under appreciated albums for a 100 must have list is to ask for 10 albums of a specific type: pop/rock, classic jazz (acoustic), progressive jazz, big band, heavy metal, classical, etc.

I would have included the following for a top 10 that haven't been mentioned (my apologies if I missed an already listed):

Cannonball Adderley - Something' Else (a Miles album in my mind)

Steely Dan - Royal Scam

The Who - Quadrophenia

Jackson Browne - Running on Empty

Alan Parsons - I Robot

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die

Boz Scaggs - S/T

Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz

Pat Metheny Group - S/T

Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle

Excellent question and some excellent recommendations already. Here are three jazz lps I love that I didn’t see mentioned yet:

Gil Evans, New Bottle, Old Wine

Ornette Coleman, The Shape of Jazz to Come

Eric Dolphy, Out to Lunch

+1 for previously mentioned Love, Forever Changes

Genesis:

Trespass, Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

U2 - Joshua Tree (1987). "Without or Without You" (track #1) to benchmark the Bass.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (1977). #1 selling album of all time until Thriller (1982).

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon (1973). Amazing collection of sounds including a black hole, recorded at Abbey Road! If you don’t take drugs this may encourage you to start!

The latter two are still among the top-10 selling albums of all time with 30m+ sales!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

I don’t really listen to classical but as a substitute I’d pick some art rock albums from Genesis or Phil Collins after he sold out. Did you know that Phil Collins is like the #2 or #3 selling pop artist of all time with over 130m album sales?

Genesis - Duke (1980). Their Opus during the art-rock stage.

Genesis - Turn it on Again (1999). Their Greatest hits from their Pop period but a few art-rock songs still like Abacab ...

Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits (1972). What can I say their songs are still being used on sound tracks 50 (!) years later (The Orville 2022 episode "Domino") and they are the #1 folk group of all time! For #2, Peter Paul & Mary.

Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (1988). This greatest hits album is titled by the song "Money for Nothing", which is a frequent benchmark for dynamic range in turntable systems. This has one of the very greatest lead-ins of any song of all time. I don’t often listen to Dire Straits, but when I do, so do the neighbors!

Dave Brubeck - Greatest Hits (1966).  If you aren't into Jazz Yet, this will GET YOU IN and it will truly exercise your turnable like nothing else!

1. SGT Pepper
2. Thunder Road - Springsteen
3. Live at Blues Alley - Eva Cassidy
4. Who's Next - The Who
5. Crack The Sky - Crack The Sky

These are the three I HAVE to have, due to their sonics and sheer musicality.

John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman

Supersax Plays Bird

Just For A Thrill (Weslia Whitfield - a little rare, hard to find, but worth it)
   Here's a rip from vinyl.

Hellbound Train-Savoy Brown

Rock n Roll Music to the World-Ten Years After

Rides Again-James Gang

just to offer some new flavor. Many more already named. How can you not love these discussions?

The Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East

The Clash - London Calling

Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy

These threads are always a great source for music you haven't heard although i'd probably err on the side of streaming many before buying a vinyl version.  Also obvious is that few here can confine it to three but i'll do my best:

1. Allman Bros--Live at Fillmore East--many recommendations on this one

2. Santana- Abraxas--played this one frequently at my student apartment in France in 1974 and my landlady next door begged to know what it was--i went and bought it for her and then got to listen to it through the walls nearly every night for a year--she told me it saved her marriage 😀 

3. Little Feat--Waiting for Columbus--IMO best live album ever recorded

To start?

Desert, island, mountain cave... If I'd stay with "modern" music, and as long as I could have my system, these would be three to start "The 100 Collection":

Pink Floyd: Meddle
Can: Soon Over Babaluma
Wether Report: Black Market

Europe '72 - Grateful Dead

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams

Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan

And because I have to include at least one jazz album:

Eyes of the Heart - Keith Jarrett, Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian

Everything by Pink Floyd

Everything by Van Morrison

Everything by Mark Knopfler/Dire Straights  

Oh, have to mention - Everything of what little there was by Amy Winehouse and Eva Cassidy (gone way too young)

So many more, I wasn't sure where to even start

Cruising with Ruben & the Jets (1967)

The Chipmunks Sing the Beatles Hits (1964)

Rail Dynamics (Cook Records, 1950’s)

Tell me I'm wrong.

Clash--London Calling

Lana Del Rey--Norman F Rockwell

Mozart--Sinfonia Concertante in E-Flat Major, Midori, Imai, Eschenbach, NDR-Sinfonieorchester 

Kind of Blue-Miles Davis

Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd

Mozart Clarinet Quintet. 

Robert Plant and Allison Kraus - Raising Sand

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West

Beatles Revolver

Joni Mitchell Hissing of Summer Lawns

Crosby Stills Nash 1st album

Crosby Stills Nash and Young 1st album together 

You must have a valid reason for 100 albums..

I recommend a collection albums that sound fantastic.

The Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals

The Wonderful Sounds of Male Vocals (two from Analoque productions)

Zuill Bailey Bach complete cello suites ( octave records) 

Happy listening!!

Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Post removed 

You must have a valid reason for 100 albums to have.. 

Happy listening!!

You must have a valid reason for 100 albums to have.. 

Happy listening!!