Axpona 2024 who is going and why?

​​​​

AXPONA - Audio Expo North America

Join music lovers and audiophiles from around the world as they descend upon the nation’s largest showcase of manufacturers and retailers ever assembled in one venue only at AXPONA.

axpona.com

I booked flight and hotel reservation for Axpona 2024 last night.

This is my first time to Axpona.

My prime target will be

1. Aris Cerat which I had not listend myself.

How good is Aurora and theire Dac and elextronice?

2. MBL

I like theiir 101E which sounds very musical but wish to listen to therir larger model.

3. Martin Logan

It had been a while since I listened to Martin Logan, thus want to have update on their electrostatic speakers.

4. Clarisis speakeer

I wnat to find out how good this planar speaker is.

5. Wof von Langa

I wish to get a filed coild speakers most likely original or replica of Western Electric.

But I als want to find out how good it is.

I had also got very good impression of Songer Audio field coil units.

It will be nice if Voxactive also display field coil unts.

.6 Bcach-SP

www.theabsolutesound.com

Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP adio Stereo Purifier - The Absolute Sound

Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP adio Stereo Purifier - A Princeton professor of physics has spent decades figuring out how to make stereo sound more realistic. Now, with the “Band-Assembled Crosstalk Cancellation Hierarchy” (BACCH) processor, you can hear stereo imaging as never before...

www.theabsolutesound.com www.theabsolutesound.com

I have serious interest in this cross talke cancelling unit and Dac.

I wish to find out the effect myself.

There could be unexpected suprise as ohter audio show. ;)

I had lived in Chicago from 1998 to 2001 whete my son was born.

I had enjoyed nice audio shops over there.

I bought my Apogee Duetta Sig driven by Krell KSA 150.

It is one of the most musical audio system through my 45 years of Audiophile.
128x128shkong78

@shkong78 You’re not the only person I know that had stomach issues at show time. A friend from my town made it on Friday but was sick all of Saturday from something he ate on Friday night. Any chance you guys ate the same thing? I hope you feel better now. 

This year’s showings were different for me. I’m accustomed to the big rooms sounding a lot better than they did this time around. I didn’t have all that much time to listen as I had tons of business to conduct and support to provide, but my favorites were some of the smaller rooms. 

Synergistic Research always puts on a great system, and this time was no exception with the prototype of the new PowerCell 14. I’d say the sound was more immersive at the Southwest Audio Fest, but they had a much, much bigger room there. I’d say when I visited their room at AXPONA, the sound was more focused and detailed, in consideration of a smaller room. 

I was a bit enamored by the room that Constellation partnered with Marten speakers on. The Oscar Trio speakers with the Diamond tweeter ($40K) was really beautiful, emotive, and engaging, and the Constellation stack did a great job bringing them to their best. 

I really enjoyed the ModWright, Alta and Pure Fidelity room. Gobs of harmonics and natural presentation. I had some nice chats with John Stratton of Pure Fidelity and had just before AXPONA finalized signing on as a dealer for his turntables. I’ve in the past owned almost everything Dan Wright ever made, as well as a pair of Alta Lelantos, so the room sound was very familiar and much to my liking. 

Im sure I’m missing other rooms, but those were some of ones that stood out for me. 

Anyone hear the Clarisys speakers, particularly the Minuets?

And what type of room treatment did they use behind the speakers?

ozzy

@shkong78  Tough crowd here with no sympathy so I just had to reply. That bites after all your plans. 

I felt one of the surprises of the show, for me was SPL. They are a brand designed and built in Germany. Not expensive equipment compared to D'Agostino (which I felt sounded so grainy this year). They are looking to get into the US market and I thought this was a stellar room.

The Mon Acoustics, from South Korea, was a nice sounding room, I mean their bigger speakers. They did everything YG, and Magico did without the high frequency glare that seems to be the latest trend in speakers.

@yyzsantabarbara 

Sorry, I never warmed up to headphones. They are gorgeous and I am certain they sounds amazing. 

@jayctoy No problem. Seems like KRELL and D’Agpstino have a similar top end amp.

@lalitk Thanks, that was a very informative comment.

BTW - Did anyone come back from Axpona a RAAL 1995 fan. I cannot wait to buy the new Immanis headphone that they had at Axpona. Selling gear and cables to make that happen.

Yyzsantabarbara Iam sorry they are Dan Agostino amp They look like his new relentless 800 mono.And the preamp It looks like Dan Agostino as well.

I enjoyed meeting Paul Barton.  Got to tell him how much I enjoy his speakers. 

@yyzsantabarbara

In my opinion, the ‘re-invented’ wave of ribbon flat panel speakers are much more smoother and dynamic. This is all started with Alsyvox..I was floored when I heard them couple of years ago. Never thought a ribbon speaker could sound so beautiful and powerful (bass) at the same time. No offense to any of the Maggie’s fans but these new flat panel speakers are on another level. They have found a way to tame the high frequencies treble that could easily lead to listening fatigue on extended sessions.

While $12k retail is not a chump change, the Diptyque DP115 is a hell of a speaker.

@lalitk Do you have an opinion on the sonic differences between the Diptyque DP115 and the Magnepan LRS+ (or higher)?

@jayctoy Was the KRELL mono this one?

KMA-i800 Mono Amplifier – Krell (krellhifi.com)

I was there Saturday - my 2nd time attending. Good fun but as most note - very difficult to hear something, much less properly in a well set up room. And, not much time as I was trying to see/hear a fair amount. So, take with a grain of salt or two.

A few of my more significant impressions:

The Auralic room was indeed out of this world because of the speakers - how in the world could anyone live with something that gargantuan?  Regardless, I found the massive horns “cupped” sounding so not my cup of tea. 

The T+A room at the time were driving their mid level speakers with the new R2500 receiver. I was impressed. And, I was able to speak with some of the reps at length which was a goal for me as i own their gear.

The dartzeel room? I couldn’t believe how bright sounding it was. They dropped the needle on stairway to heaven and I shocked at how tipped up it was. Oh well.

QLN audio - I thought their new speakers quite good sounding (Vinnie Rossi integrated amp) and had a nice chat with James from Choice audio. For me - one of the better sounding rooms. A little brighter than neutral overall, but open and spacious sounding soundstage.

Same with ATC - also good showing.

MBL? I was blown away last year. This year, not as good. I still want them, but the bass seemed a bit bloated and lacking some pitch definition.

TAD - very disappointing on the track I hear. But the room was crowded and hot and i didn’t have the patience to hear another track. But not a great showing for what I suspect is a pretty good speaker.

Atmosphere: I couldn’t tell enough because of the track being played, but I do think his Class D amps might be the ticket for a small secondary system. Really smooth and easy to listen to.

Magnepan - shocking how good a $1k speaker (and their top model) can sound. (Yeah, add  subs). You need room, but they truly are an audiophile bargain.

WADAX/Goebel. Given all the windows, sounded pretty good. Certainly resolving and smooth. Considering the cost of the system overall, it should be. Even if I could afford the WADAX stuff, I couldn’t live with it (or house it in my rack). If it’s the best in the world - which I I suspect it is - it needs a better setup (dedicated room - not a show) to reveal it.

@shkong78 Good that you're feeling better Xcept for missing the show, which can't help but disappoint....:(

Fortune willing and the middle east remaining relatively intact, there's AX25.  It being a 7 day venture ( 2 to, 3 at, 2 back)(,,,or more; FLW fan), it'd have to vaca both self & spouse.....

...who would not care to spend 3 days in a loud hotel.... nooooo :)

Thanks, @f208frank & ​​@dgarretson for y'alls' Bacch view (pun intended)...👍👌

Seems a pity that something with such potential would just reinforce 'sweet spot lockdown', esp. at that/those price levels.  The speaker type selection isn't such a surprise, since it's noted as a pref at their website...perhaps the brand is a 'personal one' of the creator....🤷‍♂️  

If it sounds best in a larger space....why wasn't it becomes ?#1  It would seem that selling 1, maybe 2 would cover the show costs....

Maybe with my 2nd Lotto win... ;)

Thanks again, J

My favorite Is the Borensen  monitor room ,that can do almost any kind of music.First time Iam willing to pay 16k for a monitor.Rhaido speakers and Margules gear very dynamic and slam and impact is superb 15k, The Wilson Alexx and Krell mono . First times I heard Wilson that good. Iam not a Wilson guy It was set up by Quintessence audio.i agree so many good sounding room this year.I have a great time.

Many great sounding rooms at AXPONA this year.  Most notables were (my favorites), 

Speakers - Wolf Von Langa London, Estelon X Diamond MKII, Diptyque DP115, Serblin Accodo Essence and Avant-garde Mezzo G3.

Electronics - Margules I-240, Rivera Audio APL01SE and AFM100SE, Zeiler PR-01 and PA01, Accuphase C-2900 and P-7500, Aurender AP-20, Lampizato Poseidon DAC, Rose RS-130. 

Accessories - EAHibrid (Battery PS for Router, Modem) 
Tien Audio and Fern N Roby Record Coupler, Lumin L2, Lateral Audio Stands, Butcher Block Flip-It-Rack. 

And lots of great music in Marketplace, picked up few records, SACD’s that aren’t available online (show specials). 

Vinyl ruled most rooms but MAN, there is still no substitute for master tapes….nothing else sounds like Master Tapes. Few rooms that were playing master tapes were jaw dropping outstanding. 

I  sat in the Bacch room in seats considered 80% and 100% sweet spots.  At 100% the stage enlarged greatly both forward and backward with much improved embodiment.  It would have been nice to hear this demo through better speakers than the Janszens.

Many good rooms at this show.  My favorite off-piste discovery was the Wolf Von Langa field coils in 592.

Sad ending. :(

I had food mild poisoning before driving to the airpot which is twoo hours drive.

Although I could take Uber instead of driving, I took a safe side.

Thus I will not attend Axpona this year.

The only good news is that I feel well now.

I wish other members have good time on it.

Angie’s room (American Sound) has those horn speakers that were pretty damn amazing. Seeing Angie tapping her foot and feeling her own music is always fun too, haha.

Regarding the Bach demo room, I feel the room does not do it much justice as only a very singular sweet spot can experience it. There was literally 11 people in the room and only one person can experience most of its effects due to how set up is based around 1 person. I could tell the remaining other 10 people were a bit annoyed as they all wanted to see what it’s about. The demo person did mention that had room been larger, effects would have been displayed easier.

IF:  Our OP and/or any attendee can give the BACCH system an ear or so, I'd be curious of your thoughts and impressions (or depressions)....

To a Walsh owner, it sounds 'out there' enough to work.

Lincoln Walsh worked on radar, but played audio after all...;)

(Went to MO last weekend, so have already spend enough road time for now....)

No. I don’t need to fly somewhere to listen to Martin Logan’s. They’re in my family room. Nor do I need to fly somewhere simply to hear the latest and the greatest. It’s called zen. Breathe in, breathe out, contentment. But have a good time. 

Post removed 

For those who visit/listen to the Clarisys Speakers, please let me know what type of diffusion/deflectors etc. they use behind the speakers.

Thanks,

ozzy

@willywonka If you have the time at Axpona, have a listen to the new Magna and Immanis with your old VM-1a. I would like to have your take on it.

I'm going because my girlfriends brother lives in Chicago. It'll be two birds with one stone

@willywonka Thanks for replying. Yeah, that’s pretty much my story. I’m old enough to want to stay at the premier hotel, and if it’s (pre)sold out through insider dealings, then I figure they don’t need or want my business.

@noromance The last two years I stayed at the Hyatt Regency. This year for some reason they wouldn't accept Hyatt points for their rooms, so I decided to stay at the Hyatt Place that is only about a block away from the Regency. I book these reservations several months out. I did try and get reservations at the host hotel the last two times, but they sold out instantly. I didn't get an email not long back from the AXPONA folks telling me they did have a few openings that came up at the last minute, but I decided to keep what I already had. I also went to the former Rocky Mountain show twice and staid in their host hotel as well as some smaller shows in Southern California. At AXPONA I either just take the Free shuttle from the Hyatt Regency or an Uber to the convention center.

@deep_333 I owned this at one time, and it is a great integrated with awesome ROON READY integration. The DAC is OK but so useful.

Krell K-300i Integrated Amplifier (Used, Black, Original Owner) For Sale - US Audio Mart

I bought my nephew a Cambridge EVO integrated that does the same as the KRELL.

Cambridge Audio Evo 150 Integrated amplifier with HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®, Chromecast built-in, and Apple AirPlay® 2 at Crutchfield

The KRELL is better and competes with things like the Boulder 866 integrated. Stereophile did a comparison of the 2 units.

@yyzsantabarbara , The Krell indeed seems like a nice unit. I was enquiring more on stuff that may be on display at the show within that reasonable budget....since my daughter will be at the show for a day trying to audit some stuff.

Her current rig is quite modest....Elac Debut Reference DFR52 + Yamaha A-S801 (built in dac) + PC. The one item i could see as a definitive upgrade, not a sidegrade or diminutive upgrade, within a reasonable budget @5kish (or less) on display was the AGD Axxess 1 box solution. I am sure she will be running out of many rooms after the sticker shock hits 😏.

I tried booking a room at the hotel when the show tickets went on sale. It was already sold out so I didn’t bother. I attended in 2019 and stayed in a nearby hotel but it wasn’t great. Has anyone actually stayed at the hotel or is it pre-allocated to show personnel only? Thanks.

Aric,

That is amazing news. I am so looking forward to the Motherlode XL, the combo with the CODA S5.5 and your Transcend "Push Pull" amplifiers should be eye popping! Lot's of fun to be had, thanks as always for input and hard work.

I'm flying in tomorrow. Just got back from Hawaii last night so I have a fast turn-around. This will be my 3rd year straight at attending this show. I'm on a hunt for new speakers and possibly a tube preamp. Some rooms I'm interested in attending are:

Børresen 

Magnepan 

(BAT) Balanced Audio Technology

Primaluna (Upscale)

Modwright 

Diptyque audio 

Also open to other brands for speakers in the 10K+ range and tube preamps around the same amount or less.

@deep_333 I owned this at one time, and it is a great integrated with awesome ROON READY integration. The DAC is OK but so useful.

Krell K-300i Integrated Amplifier (Used, Black, Original Owner) For Sale - US Audio Mart

I bought my nephew a Cambridge EVO integrated that does the same as the KRELL.

Cambridge Audio Evo 150 Integrated amplifier with HDMI, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®, Chromecast built-in, and Apple AirPlay® 2 at Crutchfield

The KRELL is better and competes with things like the Boulder 866 integrated. Stereophile did a comparison of the 2 units.

@vthokie83 I've actually made tons of progress in catching up! Some late nights at the shop, and the next thing you know 3 weeks are pushed aside. I'm actually testing your ML XL right now! Unfortunately though, the trip to Chicago and Axpona still isn't happening this year, but I did have a lot of fun and met some great people last year. I hope to meet you at a show!

Best wishes, Aric

I want to get to know Clayton Shaw and Doug Dale at CODA, wish Aric Kimball was going....but he said he's WAY backed up on production

I'll definitely be going on Sunday, as I'm on vacation and can't cut it short.....my wife would kill me. She has not beaten me up for buying 2 amps, a preamp, and a pair of speakers; I really do owe her

I am not going, but, my older daughter who lives in the Chicago area may make it to the show for a day, it appears.

She’s interested in a 1 box solution (streamer+dac+amp) upgrade from what she currently has. I suggested that she check out the new AGDenmark’s Axxess stuff.

If you all may have other suggestions for what one may audit w.r.t a 1 box solution in the 5k price bracket, let me know.

I went to Axpona a couple years ago.  The best sounding speakers there had minimal room interaction.  Hotel rooms are too small for most speakers.

Hello, Everyone,

I am quite excited and privileged to have a pair of Aurora's singing for us  in our room for 4 days! Let's not forget all the other fantastic gear, it's quite a setup!

This year we will be hosting in a larger room which will translate in a much more confortable and enjoyable experience.

I will be coming from Montreal to help with show duties as we work with Robert in Estern Canada exclusively with the product exposed in the Epiphany Room.

Looking forward to have you all over!

Cheers,

Sacha

Hey Robert! 

Long time! Thanks for sharing will definitely see you there to catch up!  Looking forward to see what you bring to the show especially the Aurora speakers!

see you there!

Hi Everyone,

The Epiphany room will be featuring the following brands. (2nd floor)

Aries Cerat electronics with matching Aries Cerat custom white Aurora speakers.

Pink Faun 2.16 Ultra server/streamer with new Ultra USB bridge.

Inakustik cables will be premiering their new 8005 series speaker cables and 4005 series interconnects.

Wellfloat newest custom built audio rack.

Arya Delta footers and their newest AirBlade.

Reiki Audio new super switch.

I hope everyone has a great time at the show.

Robert Neill

President 

Worldwide Wholesales 

519-619-9924 

www.worldwidewholesales.com 

www.wilson-benesch.com 

www.wellfloat-global.com

www.akikoaudio.com/en 

www.rockna-audio.com 

www.hornsolutions.de
www.aries-cerat.com

www.in-akustik.de/en 

www.arya-audio.com 

www.pinkfaun.com

www.brodmann.at

www.asraudio.de

Hey Guys,
I’m going to AXPONA for the first time and I’m so excited! I’m particularly interested in the Aries Cerat room. Over the past few years I’ve had a number of the elite brands and my current AC rig (Essentia mono blocks, Impera signature pre, and Kassandra Signature DAC, Kharma midi speakers and Pink Faun server) is by far the best sound I’ve ever had in 45 years in this hobby. I’m especially excited about hearing the new Quintessence amps. See you in Chicago fellow audiophiles!

Very excited to see the Aries Cerat and Epiphany room, love their equipment!! Never disappoints!

If anyone wants to hear a full Aries Cerat system and is visiting the Phoenix area I have Essentia, Ageto, Kassandra, and Aurora in the house.

@treepmeyer Tell Danny from RAAL that the Santa Barbara guy pointed you to his booth. Maybe I can get a discount 😀

I'm going for the third year, but it's definitely a mixed bag.  I have a Bacch4Mac on order so I'll go to the Theoretica room first thing to meet Edgar in person.

Room acoustics can ruin an experience.   Last year I heard Vandersteen and Fritz speakers that sounded poor, even though I know these are great products.  On the other hand MBL, Tannoy, Cabasse all sounded good despite the rooms.

@yyzsantabarbara I will make sure to listen to the RAAL headphones.  Thanks for the heads-up.

@zlone If I’m not there, feel free to text me and we can coordinate. Same goes for anyone else that has interest in meeting throughout the weekend. My mobile number can be found on this page. Please just text, no calls, as my phone will likely be on silent most of the time. 

First on my list is to visit the Aries Cerat and Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH rooms. I have first hand experience with the Aries Cerat Kassandra DAC and Impera preamp and I now have my sights on their triodeFET amplifiers. No one else is offering an amplifier with a triode single stage topography while implementing a single ended triode and field effect transistor technology.

Zlone you will enjoy it.. it’s a good experience from buying music to listening.Its worth the drive . I know a guy from Alberta come to Axpona yearly , He drives.