Upgrade from Revel 228be?

I am currently running Revel 228be's with a single Rythmik sub, and recently changed to all Pass electronics: XP27 phono-pre, XP32 line-pre, and X260.8 monos. My SQ is very good, and the Revels have few weaknesses, but I'm considering a step up to a more refined speaker with a more inert cabinet.

Are there any Revel 228be owners out there who have made a successful upgrade? My budget is $15k-$25k, used (likely). I listen to pretty much everything but the emphasis is on Blue Note jazz, fusion, Zappa. I like percussive, instrumental music, so I need something that can handle the thump.

On my list so far are Rockport Atria II, TAD E1tx, a Magico or Borresen possibly, etc.

Thoughts, suggestions? 

willyht

I went from the 228Be to Focal Kanta 3 which was a big improvement for the things I value. The Focals (especially using Gaia footers) image much better. Even though their cabinets are less inert than the Revels, they sound like speakers with heavy, solid cabinets. Imaging is precise and focused. They sound great a low levels. There’s also more treble information, and a slight warmth to the presentation. They’re also very easy to drive. Unlike many of the speakers you’ll be looking at, you don’t need to go nuts in amplification, in price or power. If you don’t value these things, it could be a sideways move. Bass is just OK (not bad, just not spectacular in any way). Being front and rear ported, they’re easy to place in a room. Overall, I found the Revels to be somewhat boring in comparison, not as musical. I listen to classical and jazz mostly.

Yamaha NS-5000 would be my vote. $15K new. Their driver technology is ahead of everybody else. Only problem is they need at least 200 watts for their 3.5 pound woofer coils. 500 watts are better. 

The coherence from the 3 drivers made of the same material is unique to cone speakers available today. No one else can claim that. The 12 in woofer is made of the same material as the tweeter and mid-range. This speaker can also rock or sound great with soft music.

I owned the Revel Salon 1 and have heard the Salon 2 a few times. I have also heard the Paradigm Persona 3F, 5F, and 9H (2x). I think the Zylon material of the NS5000 drivers is better sounding and just as detailed as the Beryllium of the Reval Salon 2 and the Persona's.  No fatigue on the NS5000.

It does need some power. Though other owners have used low powered amps on it. I use a CODA #16 which is a very powerful beast.

I posted this link on another speaker thread.

Yamaha NS-5000PNST 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers with Stands | Hi-Fi Heaven (hifiheaven.net) ($9,599)

Yamaha NS-5000 would be my vote. $15K new. Their driver technology is ahead of everybody else. Only problem is they need at least 200 watts for their 3.5 pound woofer coils. 500 watts are better. 

@hk_fan 

The Aviors are amazing ! I would love to try them with the gear you are using! Maybe some day. I apologize for answering here as I am unable to reply to your PM. Happy listening!

Ron 

https://speakerchoices.com/?pricemin=20000&pricemax=45000

I don't think you will get a better sound IN YOUR room if everything is already optimal. You will get a DIFFERENT sound from different speakers. Which may be good enough, if you have the itch to spend 25K. To me, it's a questionable investment, but of course you earned it, you enjoy it. Strangely, the choices aren't overwhelming in your price range 

@willyht 

The Atria II’s are a fabulous speaker. You won’t be sorry with those. In my earlier post I recommended the Avior II if you can swing it. That extra woofer will give you all the bass you need. 

I'd highly recommend the Rockports.  I've heard the Atria II's several time and they are outstanding.  

I have read great things about the Salon 2's but am somewhat concerned about service/parts if they're discontinued.

Anyone familiar with the Rockport Atria II's? Will they play with similar scale to the Revel 228be?

If you want to stay with revel the salon 2 are a healthy upgrade that with enough power won't need sub's in your room. I found a pair of Usher be20dmd's that I preferred then midrange and soundstage ability over the salon 2, but the be20 bass was overbearing for my 17x27x7' room so the BE10DMD could go on your list, not easy to find tho' replacement drivers are available unlike the salon 2. The Perlisten S7t are very good, but read Kal's review because he explains a couple quirks. The KEF Blade 2 meta I haven't heard, but is grabbing headlines since their intro. If you could also find the new Dali RubiKore I think they're world beaters at $12k, I want to check them out. 

When I demoed the f228be my attention kept getting pulled back to the speakers, I can say with confidence speakers on your op have more inert cabinets that are an upgrade from what you have, subtle, but important upgrade. It's too bad Revel didn't improve on resonance control with the 328be as that could have been an obvious path for Revel lovers. Kennymack recommends the Salon 2 and if you have amps that can drive 500 watts into every resistance 2/4/8- ohms I think he's onto something, replacement drivers are getting harder to find tho'. 

@willyht 

I am buying some Sonus Farber speakers to replace my KEF’s When you rap on the side of the KEF’s there’s a hollow sound and when you rap on the SF’s, there is a solid thud!  Huge difference in SQ as well!

All the best.

Did you consider 328Be? In my experience, the 328 increase bass note distinction quite dramatically. 

If you can stretch the budget a bit and find them used the Avior ii is an amazing speaker. Superb build quality (220 pounds each!) and you will love that second woofer. Good luck!

A set of used salon 2 is a bargain they are made by jbl read the reviews.mine sound great.they do like power I'm pushing 1 kw to them solid state amp.

+1 @kennymacc !  My salon 2's fill my 18 x 40 room with sweet full sound.

I upgraded from Studio 2s, which sounded great but needed more size to pressurize my room.  The Studios 2s are more in line with the size of the 228 BEs, but the Salon 2s are great.  They have fantastic soundstage and imaging, smooth highs, full midrange and deep bass.  Of course I still use a pair of subs.  With 7' foot ceilings, the Studio 2s may just do it fine. I also like the Joseph Audio.  I fatigued from listening to the Borresons.

No need to spend a ton of $$$ to get absolute excellence. Get yourself a pair of the totally incredible, but discontinued, Revel Salon 2 speakers.  However, you must bring lots of power and current to the table with the Salon 2’s and you will be in absolute audio bliss.  Happy listening.

I have had some extensive auditions of the 228Bes. To my ears, even the similarly priced Børresen X3s are considerably superior. 

The cabinet noise was my biggest complaint with the entire Revel Performa/Be floorstander lineup. 

You might do well to add Joseph Audio and Acora to your list of contenders. The Acoras have exceptionally inert cabinets. 

Given what you’re looking for I would definitely add the Joseph Audio Perspective 2 to your list.  Best of luck. 

I upgraded from the 228be (I also use two subs) to a pair of JBL 4367s. I should note I liked Revel over a lot of other good brands and after many demos stuck with the Revel/sub combo before moving to the JBLs

I have a number of posts about the 4367s that you should be able to find under my profile or general search. In short they are much more dynamic. The 4367 is much more detailed in the bass and treble (about the same in the mids). When I first listened to the 4367 I thought there was a bit of horn coloration in the vocal range but doing more or less instant switching between the 228be and the 4367 that coloration is extremely small and mid quality is about the same. but the other improvements were drastic.

they look like big ugly boxes and are but stereophile’s measurements show a pretty quiet box. For measurements I would look at Erin’s Audio Corner though. Stereophile’s near field measurement artificially boost the bass IMO. I used subs with both speakers crossed at 60hz. The 4367 has a lot more detail from 60hz-250ish-hz where the Revels woofers play.

the one place the 4367 loses out is sound stage width and depth. The 4367 dispersion is pretty narrow and has a lot less room interaction. The sound is almost all in front of the speaker too (part of why they are so dynamic IMO).

I'm not familiar with all the speakers on your list but in your price range the Magicos will have a hard time bringing the thump you enjoy.

...forgot to add that my room is 26 x 15, with 7-foot ceilings, and my listening position is mid-room. Speakers are well out into the room. In short, I don't need a pair of monsters. The Revel 228be profile is pretty close to what I need.