Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

DAC designers focused on USB that take advantage of the newest processors in their boards have taken this input to an exceptional level. Realizing bits are not just bits a good designer will render bit perfect processing regardless of the imperfect signal arriving. They will also cancel out any voltage carried.

After owning a HOLO DAC for 5 months I've come to appreciate the as good as it gets processing of USB signal. After a month of using this DAC, the cable experiment started. I apply changes for a month then revert to prior setup before accepting change as an improvement. Long story short is my system and this DAC took signal from any distance with any USB (limited to 1k, so not really any) cable quality I threw at it and never wavered. 

The really exciting feature is how 16/44k sounds when played. I use ROON and immediately appreciate when this format comes up. There is something remarkable about the original format that shines through when the signal path conversion is kept as close to native as possible. I'm not saying crap recordings sound great, they still sound like crap, it's the better ones that will amaze. I would recommend any DAC with a design focus on the USB input. Of Course, YMMV.

Has anyone used the AES/EBU input exclusively OR enough to know how it fares against the units ‘best’ input, which I’m assuming is the USB, since the majority of comments are with USB. But what about the XLR with a nice cable and nice transport? 

@lemonhaze as much as the DACs you mention may all consecrate on sound over features, from what I’ve read, they’ve all be described differently. Very smooth and bit of warmth with big bass for the Mojo, a healthy chunk of warmth but good detail balancing with the Merason, and a bunch of tubes for SW1X. The 005 neutral and ‘exciting’, to be very general with all… I can see the Merason and Mojo DACs maybe being comparable, going by their general descriptions, but the 005 reads quite different from forum descriptions. 

@lemonhaze 
You write: "the apparently amazing 005 which if it performs as described is at an equally amazing price."

I have to inquire why there's an "if" there.  Why would you think that the DAC does not "perform as described."  Do you have any reason to distrust a good number of listeners like yourself?

I can give you five reasons why the sum of what you will find here about the DAC, written by actual purchasers/users, is more reliable than any review by what you would call a "reviewer."

As for comparisons of the $3200 Musetec to the $5500 Merason or the $6000 SW1X or the $7500 Mojo Mystique, you're probably dreaming about a perfect world.  It's already been compared to the Holo May, the Mola Mola Tambaqi, Chord Hugo 2 with M Scaler and a host of DACs that it has replaced.  Apparently it will soon be compared to the Bricasti.

@melm as you have said so many times my friend, no one has EVER returned a 005 or even criticized it by finding anything lacking.

I really don't know why a lot of people find it so difficult to comprehend that here exists a bargain that seems to have been created by Chinese people that love music.

Most Westerners look down on Chinese products and believe they can't outperform what the West churns out. Well the over hyped stuff from Weiss, dCS et al has had it's day, save for the crusty scroats that insist that dollars equal audiophile reproduction.

This DAC allowed me to spend $$$ on cables which would have been a stretch if I'd spent $10k+ on a DAC.

Still most of it's components are imported.

I don't see this DAC as the Chinese want to take over the World DAC. I see it as what enthusiastic audiophiles from China have created at a great price.

It's not a Topping or whatever, it has been created with the upmost attention to detail.

BTW AES/EBU is great but DSD needs USB for whoever asked.

FACT - Hong Kong prices of Western DACs have never been lower. If you don't believe me check it out.

@melm, I think you need to relax a little. I am free to trust or distrust whomever I wish yet I have not uttered any derogatory comment nor cast any aspersions on 'your' thread.

Do you have any reason to distrust a good number of listeners like yourself?

You assume too much.

you're probably dreaming about a perfect world

This makes no sense to me.

I came here asking an innocent question because I trusted the positive comments, think about it!  Why are you getting bent out of shape over me using the word 'if' ?

There is no ? at the end of my sentence, read it again. It was a statement not a question!

I want to greet all the owners of 005. I've been listening to my Musetec since Christmas. Any change can be heard with it, such as the effect of silver-plated or copper power cables on cold or warm exposure. I got used to the fact that the sound of individual instruments overlap, while it is rich and detailed. I power my set via a 3,2kW isolating transformer with filters. I want to share my new experience with the power filter. 005 itself does not have a filter and it is possible that it has a reason. Out of curiosity, I made an experiment and temporarily connected the power filter to the power supply. For the first time it was Schaffner FN261-2-06 (+ 3.15A ceramic fuse). I did not notice any improvement or deterioration. The second time I tried the mains filter Schaffner FN 9260-1-06 (+ 2x fuse F 2.5A inside twisted wire). In this case, there has been a great separation and refinement of the individual tools, and more air has been added between the tools and there is no overlap at all. I had to add in volume. I don't want to rate what is better, but at the moment I prefer to listen with a filter. It's an interesting experience that I want to share with you and since there are a lot of types of power filters, fuses and also different sets, there will be a lot of solutions with different results :-) If someone likes holographic placement, this is the way to go. Curious be careful - dangerous tension! Jan

@lemonhaze 
When someone says "if it performs as described" seems to me a clear suggestion that perhaps it does not.  You don't need a question mark to question what's been written here.  And, of course you're free to trust or distrust, as you say.  That's all I care to say on that.

And it is not "my" thread.  One loses ownership as soon as it's posted and threads usually go their own way.  It's just that as the OP I get emailed when there is a post and there's often a question I can respond to.

So let's both have a good rest of the day.  

Cheers.

Melm, I can understand lemonhaze's use of if. There is a lot of hype out there these days, understandable that one may have doubts and or cynicism  in a general sense. We shouldn't be overly sensitive to those questioning this dac, being so only invites others to attack 005 users as fanboys. As for me, I feel self assured in my assesment of this dac, I've been around the block with audio, heard many multiples of $10k-even $100K systems over the years. I know what I hear, and feel confident this dac will hold its own against far more expensive dacs. Not saying it's best $10K or less dac, and/or only good value dac out there.

I'm just saying lets be positive here, being defensive only serves to undermine the wish that others give this dac a fair shake.

@balja Providing quality power to 005, and all components for that matter is important for extracting full potential.

@jriggy  My take on those other dacs conforms to yours. Comparing usb to other inputs on 005 or most any other dac is generally like comparing apples to oranges. Usb users will generally be streamers, other inputs generally cd transports so not directly comparible. Still, I'd assume all inputs on 005 would give you fair taste of flavor or capabilities of dac, perhaps not it's full potential.  What's most interesting to me about 005 is the difficulty of obtaining the full potential of it's resolving capabilities, never encountered prior in any source component. I'm completely out of possible upgrades and mods to my entire system, and the last mod I made wes easily exposed by 005.

It's not as if there's ever been another thread on Audiogon where a little-known product had suddenly and spectacularly hit the big time (cough, Kinki), and then after a couple of months subsided again with the advent of a more cool-headed estimate of its strengths and flaws.

True, but quite frankly this DAC blows me away.  Granted, my last DAC was a dinosaur, but it was a good dinosaur.  Analog has been my thing for a long while and I know good sound.  I've bought so many "class A" and unqualifiedly spectacularly reviewed products that I was disappointed in and sold off that I am very jaded.  But this DAC is flat out spectacular both streaming through USB and redbook through coax.    

In a previous post, I mentioned the Ediscreation Fiber Box II (Standard Version).  I would like to share some of my initial notes of the Fiber Box II after it was inserted into my Grimm MU1 and Musetec 005 digital front end.  The signal path is now secondary mesh router > Fiber Box II > Paul Pang Quad Switch > ENO Ethernet Filter > MU1 > 005.

The notes:

• better command of when sounds start and stop
  • more bass bloom
  • more nuances
  • more relaxed
  • better resolution
  • more "meat and garnishments"
  • better PRAT
  • closer to the stage
  • superb imaging

I do extensive research before I buy any audio gear and finding reviews for the Fiber Box II was hard to come by.  The Fiber Box II like the 005 is not greatly advertised but they are both hidden gems and value kings for what they bring to the table.  If your system already has optical isolation with OCXO clocking, then the benefit for you is likely different.

Speaking of value, when I compare two like things that perform similarly, I try to think of things in ratios.  If two DACs have similar sonic performance but one costs 3 times more than the other, then of course the ratio is 3 to 1.  With a ratio like 3 to 1 or 2 to 1, there is no contest for which DAC or component I'm going to choose.  Even if the cheaper DAC is slightly less pleasing sonically, I know I can easily make up that difference with cables or other upgrades and still have funds to spare. 

I'm not married to any of my component.  If I can get the performance of the 005 at half price, the 005 would be gone in a few weeks.  With that said, I don't think I will face this dilemma any time soon.  The Benchmark DAC3 at about $2000 is a possible 005 slayer because for me it has slayed a $6500 DAC but I've done my head to head comparisons and we know which DAC won the contest.

I prefer the 005 over the DAC3B in almost all cases. However, if I had very warm speaker and other warm electronics then I could see myself going with the DAC3 over the 005.

I recently demoed a RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp with the RAAL SR1a headphones at the dealer. The amp has some warmth, the headphones do not, and the combo sounds incredible. The Benchmark DAC3L was used in the demo. I did not have time to put in my personal 005 into the mix (it was sitting right beside the DAC3L) but the DAC3L was so perfect with that warm amp.

What that means is that I can buy a second Musetec 005 to replace my DAC3B in the Living room (all -Benchmark stack). The DAC3B will move to my VM-1a headphone only system.

@yyzsantabarbara 

I think I understand what you mean about matching warm electronics with the DAC3 and preferring that matching over the 005.  I just sold my DAC3 DX recently. Believe it or not, it's the 4th DAC3 I've sold over the years.  I'm going to miss that sound because that DAC has been at the heart of audio journey for many years but it simpy was not getting playtime. It has found a better home.  I wish I can keep them all but I have to draw the line somewhere with the components I own.

The only Benchmark product I still have is the HPA4. I thought about replacing it with the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack but I found that the HPA4 is a great preamp to the Ferrum stack.  I find the combo of 005 > HPA4> Ferrum Stack to be amazing. It is the best sound I've ever heard with these ears.  I can hear the strengths of each component come through the music.  I also have a Topping Pre90 in house as well to compare preamp duties against the HPA4. So far, the HPA4 is clearly better for the job. I will let the Pre90 burn in more before I make final jugement.  Of course, I would love for the Pre90 to win so then I can free up funds for other things things :). I'm playing with the ratios again. 

@sirnui I bough the DAC3 HGC 2 times and the DAC3B 2 times. I think each time was to raise funds for something else. Anyways, I am not selling the DAC3B I have left.

My feeling is that the HPA4 or LA4 would be incredible with the 005. I have not tried it yet, but I believe your findings. I have a CODA 07x preamp and the LA4 preamp. I like the LA4 preamp more with my 2 channel speakers and the 07x with my headphones. It is a close call with those 2 but the LA4 (HPA4) are so quiet.

I also had the Topping pre90. I sold my HPA4 (to raise funds) thinking I could get away with using it. The pre90 only worked with a Benchmark AHB2 amp and Parasound A21+ amp. All other amps I used with it were too ’hot’ on the volume. Big mistake selling the HPA4 since I ended up getting the LA4 and sold the pre90.

A final point. I like my LA4 premp with my CODA #8 amp even more than the CODA 07x preamp (on speakers). I do not use it this way but that combo is great.

Another, sort of affordable gear combo is the following:

Schitt Freya+ preamp (now sold)

Musetec 005

Benchmark AHB2 amp

I was amazed at how good this combo was on both my SR1a headphones and KEF LS50 speakers. When I replaced the 005 with the Benchmark DAC3B the SR1a became fatiguing.

I would like to see how it measure up the the latest $4600 Denafrips Terminator -2 

this is one of the best dacs out there under $10 k which is getting a lot of good press and I personally bought ,and now has U.S repair facilities if needed which BTW is rare and at 42 lbs with its separate separate o core transformers ,Linear power supplies,and super caps in a R2R design  with Dual over controlled clocks 🕰 of the very high order. 

@audioman58 Hi, How you doing? It would be great if you did a shoot out with the 005.

We should have the final results in soon against the Mola Mola.

I'm sure you'd appreciate the 005.

BTW see you're into the Final Touch cables. I'd be very interested to get some info on them.

@car123
I have often recommended Audioquest Pearl as a good and safe USB cable. It’s a solid core cable. Solid core was first recommended to me for digital by a well-respected cable guru on another site. The Pearl is inexpensive, well enough made and, in my experience, does the spatial thing well. IMO it’s a great basic cable against which to test other cables. The Pearl, though, may not provide sufficient sparkle in the sound, for me, and I have been testing other cables against it myself, including one or two old cables in the closet. One never knows. The Audioquest line continues with solid core only and adds different amounts of silver coating all the way up to solid core silver, and it gets expensive. Amazon USA has a liberal return policy so you can try a cable pretty easily. Since there is no 5V current running through our cable we can concentrate entirely on how the digital signal is carried.

I found this discussion on USB cables quite valuable.  Perhaps you have seen it.

@twoleftears
You may be perfectly correct, though this DAC has hardly "hit the big time." No one has ever said this was the best DAC in the world, only that it represents value. The problem for many audiophiles is the lack of reliability of even the "professional" reviews, never mind the many amateurs. Stereophile, perhaps the best, has DACs ranging from $1406 to $30,000 on its A+ list. It’s ridiculous. Do you remember what the A+ list was defined to be initially? I, for one, read the reviews principally to find out what the physical product is. I then dig deeper, if possible, to find out what’s inside the component for it cannot give more than it has. My best purchase decisions, though, were made by looking for lots of user comments, just like those here.

As you can see this thread has been populated principally by owners who have purchased subsequent to the start of the thread. Many have integrated the DAC into very high quality audio systems. I continue to be astonished at the thread’s growth.

There was one 005 for sale in usaudiomart just a few days back. I asked the seller what DAC he preferred. He courteously replied that he preferred the Holo Audio May by a good margin. Most DACs in this price range are mostly system dependent. 005 seems like a great value and so are other DACs, like the Matrix Audio Element series which has an immaculate measurements. Like many, I have gone through a fair share of DACs (PS Audio DS, Denafrips Terminator, Lampizator A3 & B3, Matrix Audio Element X, Chord, Aqua and many more) and I strongly believe, there is no "one be it all" dac in the market today. I am pretty sure the 005 (or any dacs in these price range) is not going to turn my audio world upside down with my jaw dropped to the floor but it might just be a good last 2% better match in my system than my existing dac and this why I am curious to try one.

@twoleftears actually the Kinki studio integrated not only has a great value but it also has a phenomenal sound for its price. I had one. Once you start rolling the opamps, the integrated can perform well beyond expectation. You would be hard pressed to find one at this price range.

@melm Regarding USB I’m currently using a Crystal Clear Audio Magnum Opus ll USB

Which I bought off Audiogon. It’s a very good cable and it’s kept up with all the improvements I’ve made to my system.

However top of the heap seems to be Shunyata Omega USB, Final Touch Sinope USB, and the Z:Axis Reference USB, but not sure if this is available yet?

All these cables are $2-3k new and even if you can find used the discount won’t be great.

On paper the Final Touch Sinope looks the most promising it’s used almost exclusively by Aries Cerat DAC owners.

Couple of weeks ago I ordered this, It’s an Amanero board to I2s made by LKS so the RJ45 and HDMI wiring is the same as the 005.

$206 bucks shipped from Shenzhen Audio, thought it’s worth a try. Currently waiting for stock.

@lordmelton

That LKS unit is a very old model, even proceeding the LKS 003 IIRC. That and the Singxer were popular before the DAC makers brought the function on board. It cannot be as good as what you already have in the Musetec. But who knows?

@audioman58

As reported here earlier, Apos comes up first for some reason whenever Musetec is Googled. It’s been "out of stock" there for over a year.

@debjit_g

Very interesting, and thanks for the report. The Musetec was on USAudiomart for only 5 days and the asking price was $2900. As it sold rather quickly I’m guessing the asking price was met, or close; that’s just a guess. If so, that’s pretty good, I think. Many folks paid under $3000 for the DAC on sale.

The seller was pt999 who had a Holo May and posted his detailed comparison of the two DACs right here.  He said he was keeping the DAC, after first deciding to return it. His last and most detailed post is on 12-24-2021 at 1:49am, p. 7 if you’re sorting new first. He describes his audio system as a high sensitivity system built around Edgarhorns. In any event it’s a very useful data point for potential purchasers of either DAC, Holo or Musetec.

@melm Not doubting you but looks like the 005 inside. Anyway if it doesn't work out I'll find another use for it.

@sirnui I'm just breaking in my Ediscreation, I got the Extreme Version with the Bybees.

It's inedible even just so far, two days only.

Just listening to Paradise Radio is addictive. Many times better with the Edis.

@melm Yes Shenzhen sell the LPS for it but I'll just try it out with a wallwart first because I need to get a 2 or 3 way LPS to give me more plug space.

While I'm here is anyone using the free power cord that came with the 005?

It's absolute garbage, swap it out for immediate sonic improvements. Seriously it's only fit to use on a kettle.

While I'm here is anyone using the free power cord that came with the 005?

It's absolute garbage, swap it out for immediate sonic improvements. Seriously it's only fit to use on a kettle.

all audio components, irrespective of their price, comes with garbage power cord. the only difference is with Pass amps where they at least provide a nice heavy 14awg one but off-coarse not to any audiophile standard :-)

@lordmelton for any digital components, DACs, DDCs, music servers, the power supply is going to make the most of the difference and it can either make or break a system. If you are introducing the DDC in between the 005, you should seriously considering powering it with a good LPS to know its audio quality.

@debjit_g This isn't a regular black pvc cord it looks like a custom cord with custom plugs, quite fancy.

The Musetec was on USAudiomart for only 5 days and the asking price was $2900. As it sold rather quickly I’m guessing the asking price was met, or close; that’s just a guess. If so, that’s pretty good, I think. Many folks paid under $3000 for the DAC on sale.

@melm yes, I think that's a great resale value. Thanks to this thread :-) Anyway, the Holo May has a great resale value as well and sells quicker than the 005 did.

@debjit_g Yes I'll be getting a 3 way LPS for my router, Android Box and possibly the LKS USB to I2s.

I have not been able to discern any difference with my power cords on any of my gear. I plug my cords into a Torus RM 15 and likely have good power coming into the house. I use the stock 005 cord on the 005.

I tried a few other not so exotic power cords on the 005 and was not convinced of any improvement. The most expensive one was a 20-year-old Virtual Dynamics power cord.

Changes to my interconnects and speaker cable were easy to hear. I use Audience AU24 SE XLR on the 005 and it was better than the other XLR's I had in the house.

I will upgrade my 2-channel speaker cables first and then consider a power cord for the 005. I know a lot of people say a power cord is a bigger deal, but it has not been the case for me.

@yyzsantabarbara  Don't know why you're not hearing a difference. Maybe bypass your power conditioner and go straight into the wall.

What cable are you using into your Torus?

I just changed my power conditioner fuse to a Power House Zero 2 and have ordered SR Purples to upgrade everything else.

Amazing.

"no one has EVER returned a 005 or even criticized it by finding anything lacking."

Quite the arrogant statement, @lordmelton .  I found the 005 to be a competent DAC but not for me and so I returned it.  

Post removed 

Lol, @lordmelton.  You are the master of hyperbole.  Hard to take anything you have to say seriously.  Such the fanboy.

@romazicon I was only quoting your statement. So you don't believe your own words?

"No one has ever found the 005 incompetent".

Maybe you would like to share with us why the 005 was not for you? If you ever bought one in the first place.

I found the 005 to be a competent DAC but not for me and so I returned it.  

@romazicon would you please care to elaborate what you didn't like from this dac and what are you using currently in place ?

@romazicon 

Thanks for your forthright comment.  No one, I think, has said this is the best DAC of all or that is the DAC for everyone.  I wonder, though, if I could ask you about two things.

You said that you returned the DAC.  At one point in this (now very long) thread there was a major discussion about a dealer who promised a return possibility, but it turned out not to be so simple.  Can you tell us please who was the dealer who accepts returns.  Potential buyers might want to buy there.

Also, you said the DAC was not for you.  I can understand that.  Would you care to tell us if you compared it to another DAC that worked better in your system?  Is it the DAVE?  And perhaps, a bit about your system?  As I wrote earlier, another valuable data point for any DAC purchase.

Unlike @lordmelton who has a habit of going onto other DAC threads and crapping on those other DACs for the sake of sensationalizing the virtues of the 005, that is not my intention here. I think the 005 is a very fine DAC and worthy of its asking price. Like @melm said, there is no best DAC for everyone and to suggest that no one will ever return a 005 or have anything negative to say about it is simply unrealistic.

@debjit_g , I am currently in between DACs as the DAC I hope will be my new reference (which I will not discuss at this time) is still in prototype form but should be available later this year. I’m sure even that DAC will not be perfect. But until then, I am testing many DACs but this is nothing new as I have been perpetually testing DACs for years. While I do not own all of these DACs, I currently have in my possession a Chord DAVE, dCS Vivaldi, Esoteric N-01XD, Vinnie Rossi L2 DAC, and Weiss 501. I have a few other DACs that are incoming including the new Weiss 502-4CH which is an updated version of the 501/502 and just began production last month. Recently but now gone, I have also had here the iFi Pro iDSD Signature, Holo Spring 3 KTE with preamp, Holo May KTE, Terminator Plus, Gustard X26 Pro, SMSL VMV D1, and yes, the 005. Just before the pandemic hit, I also briefly auditioned the EMM Labs DV2, MSB Reference, and Gryphon Ethos. The 005 was purchased used from a fellow audiophile but he was kind enough to take it back when it was quickly realized it was a nonstarter.

As for the rest of my system, since @melm asked, I currently have a pair of Wilson Audio Alexia Series 2 speakers which will hopefully be upgraded to a pair of Alexx Vs later this year. They are being driven by a pair of Block Audio SE monoblocks from the Czech Republic. I have both a D’Agostino Momentum HD preamp (currently listed for sale here on Audiogon) as well as a Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature preamp with Takatuski 300Bs although I anticipate upgrading to the Vinnie Rossi Brama preamp soon. My music server is the SGM Extreme by Taiko Audio and my thoughts on this server are well documented on another thread. I consider this server to be foundational and it is the lowest latency server I have yet encountered but to fully realize the benefits of this low latency server, a DAC with a low latency USB receiver such as a 2nd generation XMOS receiver is required.

As stated, I think the 005 is a fine DAC. It is well-designed, engineered, executed, and measures well. It’s why I took the chance and bought one. The problem with the 005 for me is that it utilizes an Amanero USB receiver which uses a large buffer and is consequently very high latency. Unlike the newest generation XMOS receivers, Amanero has >20x latency resulting in a slower (less lively), more bloated, and smeared presentation. It’s not something you ever think is true unless you compare but the latency is so great that this DAC cannot take advantage of the Taiko ASIO USB driver in the SGM Extreme and, therefore, cannot take full advantage of the SGM Extreme. This Amanero receiver is utilized by other DACs such as the Chord DAVE and T+A DAC 8 DSD. It is one reason why the Chord DAVE is no longer my reference DAC in my main listening room and when I realized the 005 also uses Amanero, there was simply no way forward.

If I am to be honest, I preferred the iFi iDSD Pro Signature (when powered by a Paul Hynes SR7 power supply and paired with a Mutec REF10 SE 120 master clock) to the 005. I also preferred the Gustard X26 Pro (when paired with the Mutec master clock) to the 005. Part of the reason is due to the uplift in performance from the expensive Mutec master clock but a bigger part is due to the fact that these DACs utilize the latest generation XMOS USB receivers and can take full advantage of the Taiko USB driver. With it’s supercap-based power supply, the 005 sounds plenty dynamic but sounds slower and more smeared around the edges but this is not something you realize unless you’re using a low latency server.

Where the iFi, Gustard and yes, the 005 could be better is in tonal refinement. These DACs measure extremely well (all DACs do these days) and yet they all sound different and it probably comes down mostly to the virtues of the analog output stage. As a pianist, I am very sensitive to a system’s tonal reproduction of a piano. Not just timbre and texture but also density and weight. While I have yet to hear any system faithfully reproduce the tonal qualities of my piano, these DACs don’t compete with DACs like the MSB Reference, dCS Vivaldi, or Weiss 501. In my system, even the May performed a bit better than the 005 in this regard.

But if you love your 005, that’s all that matters. Maybe my ears and my system aren’t as good as yours and so feel free to ignore everything I’ve just said. I’m pretty certain @lordmelton will. My preference for a DAC might be different if I didn’t own the SGM Extreme or if I owned Magico speakers or Boulder amps. I apologize for the lengthy reply to your questions but now I’ve said everything I have to say and so I won’t be responding further. Simply too busy. Best wishes.

@romazicon... Like the benzodiazapine reversal drug? Just asking.

But very interesting, the 2k Gustard X26 Pro with the 4k Mutec Clock is that good?

I’d be very interested in hearing that since I was a former X26 owner.

I’m really enjoying the 005, but just got my Mola Mola Tambaqui and am excited to get it up and running.

Sounds like @romazicon you have some great auditions under your belt. Have anything to say first hand or otherwise about the Tambaqui?

Needless to say I’m planning on putting my A/B Tambaqui/005 impressions to text on screen, and will write up my thoughts after I put some burn-in hours on the Mola Mola.

romazicon

Excellent post.

"Unlike @lordmelton who has a habit of going onto other DAC threads and crapping on those other DACs for the sake of sensationalizing the virtues of the 005, that is not my intention here."

He did the same to one of my threads early on. I suspect it is because he has purchased that Dac and needs to justify his purchase. Yes, others prefer, in some cases much prefer, other Dacs.

@romazicon 

I appreciate your last post.  It provides plenty to think about.

But I would ask again for you to tell us where you bought and returned the 005.  As I wrote, there have been many posts about returning the DAC.  As yet there has been no suggestion of an allowed return without a lot of penalty.  You are the first who has written about a successful return.  It has already been suggested that though you have written about buying and trying  the DAC, you actually haven't.  It would certainly enhance your credibility if you told us who the dealer was, if there was a dealer.  If not, how did you come by the DAC?

Thanks.

@melm, the problem with lengthy posts like mine is that people don't fully read them.  I explained where I got my 005.  I will not be responding further.

@romazicon good post and thanks for the details. I have gone through Amanero usb board in some DACs, like earlier Lampi, and do prefer the XMOS in certain aspect of details and clear sound it provides. There was some explanation (I forgot where) a while back by T+A why they choose Amanero over XMOS in their DAC8 DSD purely for sound quality reasons but at that time the XMOS was lagging behind their next gen processors. I have seen folks chasing infinitely on details (and more details) but in most cases they seem to come at a cost of being musical. I am not trying to judge 005 by any means but trying to see where it fits in the spectrum as you and another person are the only ones I am aware of who preferred other DACs.

As for the Taiko Extreme (which I am very familiar with as I have build my DIY music server using Taiko ATX), you should see this video from Jay. It really tells something very fundamental.

Not that it is any of your concern, but I have purchased a Dac. By the way, please do not show your ignorance. Mola Mola is a brand name; the Dac is the Tambaqui. Your comment is equivalent to "Have you bought your Panasonic yet",

@romazicon When someone writes a huge Advertorial Diatribe on why I settled for Weiss, well it's just promoting a second rate product using a 10+ year old chip and just as old tech.

Lots of people like the Weiss sound, because they have a house sound, but they are not accurate. That's all I said and it's true. I've demoed the 005 against the Medea and it was like night and day when it came to soundstage. The Medea had no advantage over the 005 and it costs over 10x more.

The Taiko is like the Ferrari of the streamer world and it's complicated (for me) to operate. Aurender is like a Merc, you can use it every day, play golf and shop.

Aurender is Linux based.

The Aurender N30 and W20 SE will hold against the Taiko. My personal preference is for the N20, 005 and a custom 10Mhz clock.

In my system the 005 punches well above it's weight because it's surrounded by quality cables and components.

BTW thanks for the post and your detailed explanation and Eggleston Works have always promoted themselves on their perfect piano re-production. I own three pairs. 

By the way, please do not show your ignorance. Mola Mola is a brand name; the Dac is the Tambaqui. Your comment is equivalent to "Have you bought your Panasonic yet", @laoman

So there you go again worrying about what something is called, not how it sounds.

So which DAC did you buy?