Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob
Post removed 

@tvad, agreed. Excellent wording change suggestion.
And after owning Daedalus Ulysses and Argos, I’d also theorize M3 over the M1. 

Sorry to ask the question but what about a Bluenode streamer, could this be upgraded with any of these fine DaC’s being discussed here.? I have a relatively low budget system with Anthem AVM70 processor, Revel M126Be bookshelves with a Velodyne sub, and a vintage 5 channel Adcom amp. 

Sorry to ask the question but what about a Bluenode streamer, could this be upgraded with any of these fine DaC’s being discussed here.? I have a relatively low budget system with Anthem AVM70 processor, Revel M126Be bookshelves with a Velodyne sub, and a vintage 5 channel Adcom amp. 

I agree with OP’s comments regarding changes in the area of new technologies. If I were interested in a DAC, I would try to determine whether there’s a good chance that the maker will offer upgrades in the future. Especially if you end up spending beyond the $3,500.00 number, you’ll want that DAC to stay current for at least ten plus years.

Also, I have a very good DAC but the addition of the ISO Regen and an XLR Akiko Audio tuning stick elevates it. These were not cheesy tweaks at all.

To goofyfoot:

Good example.  As competitive as the market is, we benefit by discovering DACs that align with our budget and taste.  This thread is an example of that.  

@gregjacob have you listened to any of the dac suggestions? Thoughts? Did you buy anything?

To rsf507:   Of course I’ve “listened to” the DAC suggestions, and responded to most. No, I haven’t made a final decision. I can honestly say that as the discussion has grown, it’s helped clarify many of the DACs I will not have on a short list. I’ve also emailed and made phone calls to inquire more in detail with some companies or dealers to help. I’ve been planning on plunking down for this upgrade around the end of October so it wasn’t going to be a rash choice. I do hope the discussion is helping others as they search for their components as well. 

You want anolog sound with layering, get a space tech labs dac with one of his super rectifiers. 

Great thread, because I am just about starting to look for a dedicated DAC.

I am tempted by the T+A DAC200 based on @phastm3 post. This comes to me a a genuine recommendation. I had heard about the T+A DAC but never paid much attention. Need to find a way to listen to this one.

The Hugo TT2 also tempts me because it is also FPGA based. The Rockna Wavelight was a big let down because it converts DSD to PCM. Had it not done this, I would have purchased it a couple of months after it's release.

@gregjacob, @verdantaudio has a nice thread (from last year?) where he compares a lot of DAC. That is also a very informative thread. Did you go through that?

Before upgrading your DAC perhaps you should check out the suggestion from by @maurice89 by trying the Elite Plixir Conditioner first!

I would have the conditioner connected to your source (streamer) and current DAC if you go for the smallest one.

This may inadvertently improve you current system immeasurably. Or at least put in a solid footing for further upgrade paths later.

Total Dac the French made Dacs are highly regarded in Europe. And with the strong $ a complete steal. Check them out.

An awesome DAC is the Bricasti M1SE!  Read the review in Stereophile!  In the used market you can usually find one below $6K.  I'd also recommend the Chord Hugo TT2!  Both are in your price range!   Good luck and enjoy!

With a pass 350.8 vac sig mk2 pre, lumin t2 and martin logan clx art speakers and a few other pieces, my wife and I were pretty thrilled with our system and weren't sure how much of a difference to expect with the holo may kte. The seller (an electrical engineer with decades of DIY high End audio experience)  even said to expect somewhere in between a subtle and an "in your face" dif, thus our expectations were low and figured we would just sell it for what we paid for it if there was really no significant discernible difference. Iactually felt a bit silly or guilty spending that much on a dac, but Holy cow were we wrong. 

The difference was *remarkable and extraordinary.* In short: we thought vocals sounded outstanding and accurate and beautiful and full and Rich before so how could they sound any better? The answer is that they now sound *human* in a way that I/we didn't know they could. For the first time it sounds like sting or Adele or whoever is actually in the room... it feels like you can sense the shape of their head and which direction they're standing. My wife is a medical expert with a couple of degrees in speech therapy and pathology, and is a doctor of anatomy, plus has a degree in vocal performance and music and she sings opera. 

Did I mention she knows a bit about the human voice? :) 

Her mouth dropped and she started laughing and then began crying when she heard the system with the May. cried when she heard the deck. I had the same reason and even the outstanding and Science- focused Goldensound reviewer on YouTube mentioned literally getting weepy listening to it.

The placement of instruments is remarkable in ways I didn't know to expect. I can't speak highly enough about it and when they come out with a higher end dac I’ll absolutely consider upgrading to that one.

To chopandchange:

You mentioned the Elite Plixir Conditioner.  
Yes, I actually have a similar line conditioner but made by Denafrips. 

To jeremyjava:

Beautiful testimony and completely relatable. The May is on my short list (now down to about 4-5). Thanks for adding this. 

I have to agree with JeremyJava on the Holo May KTE about the placement of instruments, particularly on  a well recorded piano piece. You can really hear  the spacing of notes from high to low.

One other thing the May lets you do is play sacd's using an HDMI to I2S Interface. The files register as DSD on the Holo display.

I have owned both the Holo May KTE (with HQP upsampled input) and Lampizator Baltic 3. A/B'ed them for a while but honestly, it didn't take long to convince me that the B3 sounded much better. (The May certainly wins on build quality, and technical measures no doubt). I have also owned an Amber 3 and that was very good too. The new Amber 4 is probably a great option.

A third recommendation for the Sonnet Pasithea. Auditioned vs. Tambaqui, Weiss, Holo May, Linn Klimax. Tambaqui was 2nd choice. With its Hermes streamer connected via I2S it's simply joyous. 

Plus +1 for Sonnet Pasithea reference level dac

Many great reviews like this :

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/sonnet-pasithea-dac-review-and-measurements.12382/

Holo’s DAC has a dedicated DSD DAC instead of converting to PCM like most ladder DACS including the Denafrips.

I was forced by AT&T in finding the best DAC I ever heard.   

I have a Schiit Yggy. 

AT&T mandated that I stop using their DSL, and installed Fiber.  

The Fiber quieted things down .. apparently the copper running the DSL and the DSL modem attracted noise.  AT&T supplied a new hefty looking modem.  It sounded quieter and smoother than DSL ever did.  

Then one day when checking my modem set up, I realized that by default the wi-fi was always on... and the software for a landline phone was also turned on.   I turned off the wi-fi and shut down the phone operation.  " New Quiet!"  It seems that those two operational features (even when not used) would contribute to activity on my mother board.  Noise was being produced.  

I connect the fiber modem via an audiophile ethernet cable from the modem to my PC.  And use a high quality USB cord to my Yggy.  It never sounded as good no matter what modem I had been using.  

If AT&T did not force me to switch to fiber?  I would still be trying to find some tweak to get things better.... It now sounds so natural.   I am a musician.  I know what real instruments sound like.  I am impressed. 

i am GOBSMACKED by my PS Audio DirectStream Dac. soundstage blew the walls out of my room. taller, wider, deeper

To Gregjacob and wdguru, thanks for the comments and for overlooking or deciphering my voice to text typos. Please do me a favor and listen to Leon Russell sing A Song for You. If it doesn't bring you to tears i don't know what will... it's shocking with the halo may.   

Or maybe it's just me, it's the song my dad plays when he thinks of my mom and his memories of her. 

To jeremyjava:  moving song, old Leon. Saw him sing it live just before he died. 

To nquery:  Thanks for your comparison of Halo May and Lampizator B3. They are both on my short list and those with systems similar to mine (very important) have been encouraging the B3. The only other DACs that have matched them have been units above the stated budget. There are a few others but would be *unproven* in direct comparisons if selected. Simple as that. 

Using the Terminators clock out will take your Iris to another level.  Look for a used TP and use the savings to upgrade the Power cables, I2S cable and USB cable and Clock cables for the Iris.  

@blisshifi , how would you compare the sonic features of DSD DAC 8 with those of DAC 200? I own DAC 8 and am quite satisfied with it.

@niodari I would simply characterize the DAC 200 as much more capable across the board in delivering a more realistic reproduction. While the DAC 8 has a neutral tone with liquid pace, I would characterize the DAC 200 with being a bit fuller bodied with richer tonal density and texture, combined with improved separation and detail retrieval. In case it’s for interest, while I prefer using the DAC 200 as line out into a dedicated preamp, it’s build in variable gain preamp stage is much, much better than that of the DAC 8.

I had the original Terminator and found it a little dull in my system.  Then I upgraded to Terminator 2 with Gaia clocked from the Terminator 2 and have been quite satified to the point where I think the system's weakest link has moved to the speakers.  Seems my listening time has doubled.

Thanks @blisshifi . I understand what you say.

In fact, i like the clean, natural tonality of DAC 8, and am i not sure if i wish some coloring coming out of my DAC. The body and the other features i consider to be the task of amp and preamp mainly. I also use the DAC mostly in the line mode so the built-in preamp quality is not of a superior importance. 

@niodari i wouldn’t call it coloration. It’s not warm and bloomy (and somewhat slower/rounder) like the Lampizator Baltic 3, nor is it on the clinical side as the Tambaqui. It is more confident than the DAC 8, and it’s character can be adjusted slightly based on which of the four DAC filters are set.

The DAC 8 is a great unit and you have plenty to be happy about with it. The DAC 200 just levels up appropriately. 

The body and the other features i consider to be the task of amp and preamp mainly.

@niodari   The server / network player / transport / DAC all contribute. In other words, not just the preamp and amp. 

@milpai I kept the 005 and sold the Terminator so yes I like it, the Baltic is just a different flavor I am currently enamored with

@gregjacob Hi, as you already have about 30 recommendations for a new DAC and you like detailed sound, resolution and musicaltiy (and dynamics?), let me add to the confusion and recommend the Ideon Audio Ayazi (raving reviews here as well). I have one (second system) and I enjoy the sound: it’s consistent, dynamic and full.

@rwwear that Holo May YouTube video you linked to is a pretty convincing reason why that DAC should not be ignored!

It might very well be an expensive DAC - but think of the money you could save on the digital transport! With that much galvanic isolation and attention to jitter you can put just about anything ahead of it and still get the same sound quality - for example - you could find a low cost old Chromecast Audio and that would sound equally as good as a Lumin, Auralic, dCS and others for example (only when something is as well engineered at the Holo).

The transport usually does matter - but with a Holo - not so much! Even expensive interconnects can be ignored!

Just use a laptop computer - more fully featured than most dedicated streamers - it just doesn't matter with the Holo May it would seem.

Great video.

Post removed 

To Tvad:  I would agree with you.  In all the reviews and conversations I've had with owners and sellers, the Lampi B3 is not described with those terms. As DACs have evolved in the past few years, the Amber 3 has been profiled as slightly warmish by some, but the updated Amber 4 is more like the Baltic 3.

Another DAC that is similar in dynamics and accolades to the Baltic but out of my price range is the TotalDAC. We have the Lampizator from Poland, TotalDac from France, Weiss from Switzerland, and La Scala from Italy. All fine music makers from the European side serving high-end systems. No matter how crowded the market, the Lampis are still used with top equipment to showcase sound magic at tradeshows.

To muddy the conversation a bit more, you could check out the Meitner M3.

A used or demo unit should make the stated price range.

To rja: Yes, it is getting good reviews.

To: tvad:  I spoke to Lampizator today and was given some interesting information.  First, the Amber 4 is a solid upgrade from the Amber 3.  Second, the Baltic 3 is in the middle of an important upgrade.  A quote from today:  "Although we kept the Baltic 3 name, as of October all Baltic 3s ship with our newest engine 11. Same engine that will be going into our Golden Gate 3 as well. I was using an Amber 4 but just got the newest Baltic 3 and it's a very nice upgrade. Like the old B3 it's more resolved from top to bottom. The added improvement is a much more liquid presentation now.  Again, great DACs getting upgrades.

Post removed 

Keep in mind on which DAC you listed have the I2s input.  That input beats the USB and Spdif handily.  I would go up the ladder to the Denafrips upgrade.

Update:  Denafrips has just released a new version of their flagship "Terminator Plus 12th".  It is supposed to have some good improvements: "Optimized Critical Circuitry"   "Further reduces noise floor." "Greater Tonal Density" "Ultra High Resolution"

Since starting this thread, I am now down to 3 DACs (from about 25) that make or barely break the $7,000.00 ceiling budget:

The new Denafrips Terminator Plus 12th

Lampizator Baltic 3 or Lampizator Atlantic TRP DAC

T+A Dac 200

They all have a committed following and the difference in price is not significant enough to be a factor.

This is all based upon my own follow-up with web search, emails, and phone calls. The Terminator has resurfaced on this short list because of the updated model and because I currently have a Denafrips Declocker and Pontus II DAC and can see pretty readily how much the new, big brother could get my system to another level.  I also favor the Lampizators because the designer of my speakers uses them personally and has had some Best of Show awards at trade shows. I am surprisingly pulled toward the T+A Dac 2090 because it is a solid state relatively new arrival from a prestigious German audio designer and it's creating a passionate following, added to some high-budget systems and knocking some other DACs off the top list.

Post removed