Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

Showing 46 responses by gregjacob

To chowkwan:

No, you are the first to put forward the Crane Song DAC.  So much of what is reviewed, esp. professionally, will focus on larger manufacturers and mainstream usage.  Small independent companies with long wait times to order will always fall below.  But if the Crane DAC is as good as you say--comparing it with a $70k Nagra--it should be splashing all over the audiophile forums. I couldn't quickly find any thorough reviews on it or comparisons with other DACs.  But this thread may generate fresh buzz.  Thanks for bringing this to the table.

To Facten:

Thanks for that good input!  The Aqua La Scala has enthusiastic reviews. I’ll put it in the top 3-4 DACs that I’m down to. 

To Badgerdms:  I talked with Nicholas at LTA. They still favor the Lampizators but also recommended the Halo Audio May if I shy away from tubes. They have paired the May with their systems recently at shows and gotten great reviews. 

To chopandchange:

You mentioned the Elite Plixir Conditioner.  
Yes, I actually have a similar line conditioner but made by Denafrips. 

To jeremyjava:

Beautiful testimony and completely relatable. The May is on my short list (now down to about 4-5). Thanks for adding this. 

The 10 Audio review was positive until he switched to upsampling.  Many of us leave our DACs in NOS anyway. It sounds like this unit does get the job done.

To audphile1:

Thanks for taking the time to share advice.  The higher-end Bricasti with network looks great and losing boxes and connectors would be welcome. As the discussion has progressed, of course, the temptation is to up the ante to try and reach a different level. It might be worth it to just hold with the equipment one has for a while longer, save up more and leap upward to a more worthwhile change. Thanks so much.

Thanks Kennyc.  Besides my Harbeth speakers, I also have a pair of Daedalus custom-made speakers. Lou Hinkley, the creator, is a fan of Lampizator.  I wonder how improved the Lamp Amber 4 is over the 3.  Their website says it's a complete rebuild from the ground up, based largely on their designs of the Baltic and higher models.  Would love to sample those but of course a pipe dream. If anyone has experience in those, I'd welcome some feedback.

I started this thread then was out on business demands and now have just had a chance to read through.  Thank you to everyone for such great input.  This is why this is such a great community.  I will be re-reading and looking into the many brands and suggestions.  One thing that jumped out is the interesting response about how little the differences are between DACs. Some say there is very little and others that the differences can be night and day.  I'm sure it would depend on the level of the rest of your system. I only know what I have and my ear is still searching for the closest-to-analog sound I can get out of digits with my budget. Again, thank you to all.  This is how we discover new avenues! 

Kray, you mentioned the Sonnet Pasithea DAC.  I just checked it out but there is a complete absence of reviews on it (on HiFi Heaven's website).  Makes it hard to judge all these DACs when we don't have outside reviews... looks good, just no feedback.  Thanks for suggestions.

Hi adasdad,

Thank you for that good plug for the Chord Hugo TT.  You said, "If you haven’t done as much as you can to limit RFI and EMI, then no matter how good your DAC is you’ll ultimately be frustrated and will constantly be wondering where that “wow factor” is that you spent your money on."

What would be your way of focusing on that?  Thanks in advance.

Thanks adasdad.  Nice answer and good, broken down details.  I'lll be looking at every link to see what might be improved, piece by piece.  So good of you to take the time to detail it all. 👍

To pennfootball71:  Yes, the Lamp Baltic keeps getting passionate reviews.  At the top of the budget but has a large fan club.  So wish these units were available to listen to or had more comparative reviews.  But the market is crowded and I'm sure it's tough for reviewers to try and cover all this.  From this thread and all the reviews online, I would certainly put the Lampizator in a short list. Thanks.

To Undefined: Well, it looks like we share some of the same musical tastes! The PrimaLuna DAC received some great reviews in 2019-2020. It has solid availability and price (much less than the budget I set for this thread). I really hadn’t looked at it in this wish list... Will go back and check out. Thanks so much. If you enjoy your Harbeths but are looking for the next step, you might check out Daedalus speakers, hand-built for a lifetime. I think the transparency surpasses the Harbeths as well as fabulous tone. I have both and won’t part with either.

To  @pennfootball71:

I haven't written anything about the Aqua DACs at all.  Others in this thread have mentioned them but I've never seen one in person.  Your critique is aimed at others in this conversation.

The T+A DAC 200 has created a lot of buzz.  It appears to be one of the top contenders in this price bracket.    Yes, thanks @phastm3 for sharing.

I've heard good things about the TotalDac line.  They have been used in show rooms with very sophisticated systems.

Yes, several broke the $ limit and would be eliminated off my short list of these.

As I was looking over the summary list, I realized that I left one out that was mentioned:

Wyred4sound 10th anniversary DAC

I’ve taken the list and am going through each one to create a "Top 5". I’ll let that sit for a while and then loop back. I know many of these DACs would give excellent performance, so deciding just one is tough. The price does influence.

To vthokie83

Thanks and so true.  You could add the type of music you are most drawn to.  Some people build their system around natural acoustics and deep jazz.  Some build around electronica and high bass drive.  That's what makes finding the best fit for your DAC more than a simple answer.  Thanks.

Thanks to Everyone for contributing your thoughts and passions to this thread:

Obviously, there is a broad selection in this price range.

In summary and for your research benefit, here is a wrap on what was suggested:

DACs – $5,000 - $7,000 range, (not listed by any rating):

TotalDAC  d1-tube-mk2 DAC

Kitsune Holo May DAC

Sonnet Pasithea DAC

Denafrips Terminator II or Plus + DAC

Aqua La Scala Optologic

Bricasti M1 SE MDX with network card

T+A DAC 200

Lampizator Amber 4 DAC

Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC

Merason DAC 1

Weiss 502 DAC

SPL Director Mk2 Preamp DAC

Chord Hugo TT2 DAC

Doge 7 with NOS tubes

PrimaLuna EVO 100 DAC

Mola Mola’s Tambaqui DAC

Callista USB Cable

Audio Mirror Toubador IV SE DAC

Musetec 005 DAC

Simaudio 680D

Mojo Audio Mystique X SE D/A

Other components / items listed:

Audiowise SRC.DX USB to DX converter

Network Acoustics ENO Ethernet filter

Elite Plixir Conditioner

To phastm3:

Thanks for looping back and responding to that.  You are right, the rest of the system can completely changed the opinion of a DAC.  But you did stimulate a lot of folks to look into the T+A Dac200.  Me included.  Thanks.

Hi Jerryg123,

Yes, if you look on the list in the thread, the Merson DAC-1 is in fact listed.  If you look for reviews of this model, you'll find some solid support.  It won Editor's Choice at The Ear magazine and an enthusiastic review in Part-Time Audiophile.  Seems like a good DAC in this price category.

Thanks verdantaudio, for the open pitch for those models.  You were trying to assess my audio setup but I did withhold a pretty important piece of information.  My main speakers are actually Daedalus floorstanding, custom made.  I didn't refer to them because I didn't think many people would even know them.  I do have a set of mid-size Harbeth cabinet speakers.  But comparing these two isn't fair.  The Daedalus have a lifelike clarity, transparency, soundstage, and depth that the Harbeths can't touch. You are right.  When the Harbeths are connected, they are softer, warmer, slightly less detailed and might need a completely different DAC than the Daedalus.  Either way, I'll be looking at the list you've posted and checking each one out.  Thanks for adding your thoughts to this.

Thanks  badgerdms.  That's the kind of feedback that DAC hunters are looking for.  It's scary enough to plunk down thousands on a review. So the more we receive feedback and it gets reinforced by different users in varying environments, the better the chances of being pleased with the purchase.  The Merason is sounding nicer all the time.

To tvad:

Yes, I'm looking for transparent / neutral. Accurate without dry clinical. I will mention that Lou Hinkley, the creator of the Daedalus line, likes LTA amps and Lampizator DACS.  They have all worked together at trade shows.  I bought the PrimaLuna because it had some of the traits of the LTA but didn't hit my budget as hard while I'm building so many components at once.  I think the PrimaLuna is, for a tube amp, not too warm /tuby.  It has a nice, neutral sound that pairs well with the Daedalus.  My search has been this:  I bought the well-reviewed Denafrips Pontus II and Denafrips Iris DDC to enjoy while saving for a better DAC.  So whatever I buy at this point has to be a good jump *up* from there, thus the $7,000.00 cap. If Lou Hinkley's choice for his speakers is of the Lampizator line, then that might be a starting parameter soundwise. Of course, we are all looking for the most analog sound possible.

To jerryg123:

The LessLoss Echos End is a beauty.  Would love to hear what it can do.  Can't find any reviews yet on the 5K model. Some buyers sent in reviews and their comparisons with other well-known DACs set the bar high.

To Badgerdms:

Thanks so much for your advice. I will reach out to Nicholas to see what he recommends at the stage. I keep having a soft spot for Lampizator…

Thanks Tom!  Good suggestion and I will certainly look at the TT2. Kind regards. 

To goofyfoot:

Good example.  As competitive as the market is, we benefit by discovering DACs that align with our budget and taste.  This thread is an example of that.  

To rsf507:   Of course I’ve “listened to” the DAC suggestions, and responded to most. No, I haven’t made a final decision. I can honestly say that as the discussion has grown, it’s helped clarify many of the DACs I will not have on a short list. I’ve also emailed and made phone calls to inquire more in detail with some companies or dealers to help. I’ve been planning on plunking down for this upgrade around the end of October so it wasn’t going to be a rash choice. I do hope the discussion is helping others as they search for their components as well. 

To nquery:  Thanks for your comparison of Halo May and Lampizator B3. They are both on my short list and those with systems similar to mine (very important) have been encouraging the B3. The only other DACs that have matched them have been units above the stated budget. There are a few others but would be *unproven* in direct comparisons if selected. Simple as that. 

To jeremyjava:  moving song, old Leon. Saw him sing it live just before he died. 

To Tvad:  I would agree with you.  In all the reviews and conversations I've had with owners and sellers, the Lampi B3 is not described with those terms. As DACs have evolved in the past few years, the Amber 3 has been profiled as slightly warmish by some, but the updated Amber 4 is more like the Baltic 3.

Another DAC that is similar in dynamics and accolades to the Baltic but out of my price range is the TotalDAC. We have the Lampizator from Poland, TotalDac from France, Weiss from Switzerland, and La Scala from Italy. All fine music makers from the European side serving high-end systems. No matter how crowded the market, the Lampis are still used with top equipment to showcase sound magic at tradeshows.

To rja: Yes, it is getting good reviews.

To: tvad:  I spoke to Lampizator today and was given some interesting information.  First, the Amber 4 is a solid upgrade from the Amber 3.  Second, the Baltic 3 is in the middle of an important upgrade.  A quote from today:  "Although we kept the Baltic 3 name, as of October all Baltic 3s ship with our newest engine 11. Same engine that will be going into our Golden Gate 3 as well. I was using an Amber 4 but just got the newest Baltic 3 and it's a very nice upgrade. Like the old B3 it's more resolved from top to bottom. The added improvement is a much more liquid presentation now.  Again, great DACs getting upgrades.

Update:  Denafrips has just released a new version of their flagship "Terminator Plus 12th".  It is supposed to have some good improvements: "Optimized Critical Circuitry"   "Further reduces noise floor." "Greater Tonal Density" "Ultra High Resolution"

Since starting this thread, I am now down to 3 DACs (from about 25) that make or barely break the $7,000.00 ceiling budget:

The new Denafrips Terminator Plus 12th

Lampizator Baltic 3 or Lampizator Atlantic TRP DAC

T+A Dac 200

They all have a committed following and the difference in price is not significant enough to be a factor.

This is all based upon my own follow-up with web search, emails, and phone calls. The Terminator has resurfaced on this short list because of the updated model and because I currently have a Denafrips Declocker and Pontus II DAC and can see pretty readily how much the new, big brother could get my system to another level.  I also favor the Lampizators because the designer of my speakers uses them personally and has had some Best of Show awards at trade shows. I am surprisingly pulled toward the T+A Dac 2090 because it is a solid state relatively new arrival from a prestigious German audio designer and it's creating a passionate following, added to some high-budget systems and knocking some other DACs off the top list.

jon2020

Thanks for the info about the Audio-GD R7HE Mk2.  I cannot find the link to a Stereophile review.  Could you put a link up for us?  Thanks.

From what I could find, there are some positive reviews as well as negative and also some mixed ones.  It might improve someone's DAC need if they are moving up from a < $1K level DAC.

Good answer and good point.  Yes, if I was exclusively doing what the speaker designer recommends, I wouldn't have created this whole discussion.  I do respect his opinion as it jibes with many others and has won best of show in some setups. But I still have to work within my budget and also find what works best (or good enough) in my setup. And the DAC world continues to evolve...  Thanks for your input.

To blisshifi and tvad:

Thanks to you both for good thoughts and opinions based on your experiences.  It sort of goes down to solid state or tube.  In my own reduction to some of the ones left on my list, I've narrowed down to a Bricasti, the T+A DAC 200, or one of two Lampizators. Since I'm certain I'll be buying blind it makes it tough.  I won't get an opportunity to try them first in my system.  So the solid state worry is the nagging "high frequency characteristics" that you refer to, tvad.  With a solid state DAC, there isn't even the possibility of slight modifications via tube rolling.  Barring a change in other parts of the system, the solid state is what it is.  And the criticisms of the Lampizators, besides their appearance, seem to be an opinion of a slightly soft, aging DAC system that is being passed by other DAC entries. It still holds charm from what I've read and heard from fans.  tvad:  Have you ever listened to the Atlantic?  Compared to B3?  My budget could go up from the B3 if there were clear reasons and I did decide to go with the Polish tube...

To blisshifi:

I know you have a very high-end T+A Dac system.  My question:  have you spent any time listening to the DAC200?  I spoke with Elliot from T&A NA and he has been very helpful.  He also directed me to the very good review recently done:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/ta-dac-200-da-converter-review-r1135/ 

Here is what I wrote him in our correspondence:

"I read the very good review.  I am now down to the choice of two DACs (from eliminating over 20 on the list):

T+A DAC 200

Lampizator Atlantic TRP

I know these are very different DACs. I'll finalize this hard choice in a couple of weeks.  Due to time demands and the fact that whatever I listen to in a showroom isn't my system, esp. when differences at this level of DAC become personal taste and nuances, I am being guided by many reviews, calls, and emails to users.  I think I've reduced my "big mistake" possibility about as far as this process can go!  It has narrowed down to these two well-regarded units." 

"At some point, I'll just have to plunk down and commit.  As far as the DAC 200, I know there is the positive review you sent me but I sure wish I had additional support for that or, even better, someone who could reflect comparisons in a musical way.  The reviewer of the article spent a lot of time talking about the technical prowess of the DAC 200 but not as much in detailing tone quality (super important), soundstage, analogue-like descriptions, etc.  It's the sound comparison that will be the leap of faith in the end."

So, blissfhifi (or anyone else), I was wondering if you had any opinion about the tonal qualities or any other descriptions that might give more insight into the musical positive attributes of the DAC200?... Thanks.

To blisshifi:

Thanks so much.  Best breakdown I've been able to get!  Even though I haven't directly experienced this dac, I have experienced other equally costly ones that were mentioned in this now-long thread that I just didn't feel had a soul.  They might check all the digital correctness boxes, but they aren't seductive in their interpretation (the magical balance of tonal density?).  Designers will crow about being analog-like but in the end, they fall flat. The end goal of all my music listening is to be taken somewhere--a journey of thoughts, memories, emotions, enchantments, and liquid poetry.  Many of us have had that with great vinyl. I can see it at times in the digital setup I have, causing the renewed search to take it to the next level.  That is precisely why the Lampitzators have remained on my shortlist.  Reviews and opinions about them tend toward the emotion and involvement they can produce, regardless of or in spite of any weaknesses. That's where we are trying to get to. The DAC 200, being solid state, easier to manage and with some great ways to finesse the sound, might get there as well or better.  Thanks for taking the time to analyze this.  From what you've written, it is definitely at the top of the list. 👍

I'm having a Lampizator Atlantic 3 made and shipped to me right now.  I have the Innuous Zenith Mk3 as music server and still have a Denafrips Iris DDC that I've been using with a Denafrips Pontus II (that I will be selling once the Lampi arrives).  I haven't seen or read of anyone who has connected a Denafrips DDC model to a Lampizator and given a "before and after" review.  So I'll be using a Callisto USB from Zenith to Iris then a AES/EBU connection from Iris to Lampi.  Cannot use the I2S connection with Lampi.  I'd be curious to know if anyone has put a declocker (of any type) in front of a Lampi.  Before trying, I'm wondering if it's overkill.  I can say that the Iris DDC made a significant audible difference with the Pontus II.

chilehed  Thanks for your input on this. I do have the ENO filter connected from ethernet line to Zenith.  I have it direct-connected to a LAN wall slot fed from router in different room,no network switch, just direct connected.  Like you found the Phoenix USB unnecessary, I will probably find the Iris DDC no longer needed as the cleaned up signal has gone through the ENO filter, the music server and the all the clock checking inside the Lampi.  I'll try the Iris just for fun.
anzaanimalclinic  Did you find a genuine sound difference / major improvement between the ENO filter and the SOtM dCBL-CAT7u?  It's a pretty serious layout to switch the former for the latter...

I requested it from Lampizator and they said that the units no longer come with custom input options. They come standard with 4 inputs. No I2S option. 

chilehed   Thanks.  I did contact Lampizator but they are not currently offering I2S input options.  Their answer:  "Problem with i2s is there's no universal standard. So unless we know the specs you're trying to match, it won't be compatible."  Which, unfortunately, is true.  The only sure compatibility is if, like in the case of Denafrips, the I2S is used within the same brand.  The general opinion is that any additional processing to try and improve upon declocking / reclocking is probably redundant at best.  Some who have tried testing it on higher-end equipment have discarded outside declocking altogether.