Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
It's just now starting to sink in that I don't need to get up at 2am every morning for work.

Coldplay "A Rush of Blood to the Head"

Post removed 
@slaw, yeah, Sugar Hill is a wonderful label. There were a couple of real good Chris Hillman albums released by Sugar Hill on LP in the 1980's. Like Rounder Records, Sugar Hill made consistently good sounding records.
Ok, back to the 80s with Brian Setzer “The Knife Feels Like Justice” & Lone Justice “Lone Justice” - Justice being the vibe I guess - young Maria McKee though... finally the sun comes out in Boston. Windows open and cool ocean breeze blowing 
Beach open here w restrictions and sun is shining on a decent surf !!!!!

Van Morrison- Bang Sessions

Lucinda Williams - Good Souls Better Angels
@slaw i was a 4AM guy for many, many years... the reprogramming took awhile...
Back to semi reality next week and off to work, think the wife will be glad to see me gone from the house.
Fortunately no 3 am start as choice of flights is very limited, 11.16am is my flight so even get a lie in.... lol.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer .... S/T and Trilogy.
@tomic601   Hey there.   Beautiful day here too.  
@slaw  very pleased to report the Origin Live cartridge enabler is a good thing. 
@spiritofradio,

Good to hear, I'm hopeful mine will be here by the end of the week.

@tomic601 ,

"Better Angels" on lp? Gonna check it out.
Brahms 4th Symphony, Eduard van Beinum, Concertgebouw Orchestra
an oldie original I’ve had since 1959.
Post removed 
I feel a good one comin’ on @tomic601 !

Welcome @rvpiano, that is a wonderful symphony.  Do you have a dedicated mono cart/arm setup?

—————————-

Pat Metheny Group
American Garage 
1979 ECM Spain

I started to play a record of Hawaiian music last night and noticed that the record was badly warped in one spot.  It looked like it might have been left in sunlight years ago.  I was thinking of trying heat to flatten the record — something like a clothes iron over a towel.  Do any of you have any experience with trying to flatten a significantly warped record?  What worked best?  Is it possible to flatten the record and not still have a problem with integrity of the grooves or the needle being able to track adequately?
@bob540 Steve aka @ slaw has a cosmic record flattener and will have sage advice
Macy Gray - Stripped

the distantly recorded but brilliant horns are a wonder - so beautiful:-)...
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen

This is my first post.. when you know things are bad!

@spiritofradio Re: Pat Metheny
Coincidentally, today I stumbled upon and watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpXsgiv0Jw0

@ tomic601  Thank you Sir! That LP arrived today (I suppose yesterday). Excited to have it back.
@nkphoto
    Welcome.  glad to have you here   especially good to hear from another fan of Pat.  We’ve had some good participation on here recently representing Metheny and of course surrounding Lyle‘s passing. 
    Keep the posts coming.  
—————————

Pat Metheny Group
Travels
O/P

Weather Report: Heavy Weather

45rpm excellent group of musicians and great recording.
@tomic601 

re: Macy Grey/ Stripped.  Another incredible Chesky recording.  such a cool album and so cool to see you post about it.   Stripped down to the elemental - surprised at how much I liked her on it and not just the great sonics I was expecting.  Have to re-visit it again if I have time tomorrow.  
@spiritorradio- being a drummer, I’ve got a thing for bands with great drummers... as do you! ;-)
@geof3, yeah.   

A couple of years ago now I learned about a drummer that has the most amazing rapport with his piano player, their work together is really extraordinary in that aspect.  His name is Ofri Nehemya and he plays with the Contemporary Jazz pianist Shai Maestro.  Try the album The Dream Thief if you’re interested.  

Another drummer that when listening back has really just amazed me lately is Danny Carey.  You undoubtedly know his work with Tool but have you ever heard him play with Volto!?   I think they felt they could just let go and show their stuff and really experiment on that one amazing jazz-rock/experimental record they made.  It’s jaw dropping stuff for me.  

Neil Pert was my favorite drummer but with him gone I think I’d probably pick Gavin Harrison as my favorite these days.  I especially like his work with The Pineapple Thief but he makes everything he’s recorded on better.  

There are many others that could be discussed.  Who are some of your favorites?
@geof3 & @nkphoto,  how about the young Mr. Sanchez in that video you posted NK!   Now, he is one great drummer.  He’s so good he’s like two drummers (at once).  
Great drummers aren’t necessarily in bands, they are also in recording studios. Some studio drummers have temporarily been in a band: Jim Gordon in Mad Dogs & Englishmen and Derek & The Dominoes, Roger Hawkins in Traffic, Jim Keltner in Little Village, Russ Kunkel in The Immediate Family (with bassist Leland Sklar, and guitarists Waddy Watchel and Danny Kortchmar), Jeff Porcaro in Toto, Earl Palmer in his own jazz trio (I went and saw him play in the bar at Chadney’s Steak House in Burbank, directly across the street from the NBC Studios where The Tonight Show is taped), Hal Blaine (the most-recorded drummer in history) in John Denver’s road band, Harry Stinson in The Fabulous Superlatives (Marty Stuart’s band). Harry is an incredibly musical drummer, something highly valued by the best songwriters and singers. A lot of drummers play as if music is an athletic activity, not an artistic one.
You know @bdp24 , the drummer on the Weather Report album that @geof3 posted to begin this sub-thread is another that we could include on the list you began.    Acuña was both a tremendously prolific studio (Records and Movies) musician and toured as a member of WR for awhile.  I think he’s only on a couple or maybe three of those mid 70s WR albums (their best by far).  IMHO that band went way downhill after he left. Probably not just because he left....  
So many great drummers to admire.  What do you think, can we generalize differences between drummers who were/are primarily touring band members and those that were/are primarily session musicians?   Is it more than just athletics vs. artistry?   Or is it less about style and more about temperament? 
Gil Scott Heron - pieces of a man (new vinyl badly presses and crackling one channel) and then the new Thundercat album
@bdp I followed your posting to watch and be completely humbled by Lelands bass videos... the fluid ease....

i ran with some cats in high school , one of which played a Fender Jazz - we loved Heavy Weather in a Springsteen town.... we were viewed as highly suspicious- and deserved it !!!!
The athletic vs artistic could apply in relative scale and visual impact to many many instruments and especially conducting... it might be my inherent laziness, but I prefer fewer notes played soulfully  to blazing staccato runs that after a bit all sound the same ( to me anyway ) I think Peart was an exception because of scope and subjects of the songs and the diversity of his kit - themselves...my $.03
@spirtofradio and @bdp24 you guys missed numerous greats, but definitely have a great list going!

My instructor is Henrique De Almeida. He just left Berklee as a professor. Brazilian burn. Unreal. Gadd, Colaiuta, Erskine, Morello, Alan Dawson, Bozzio, Wackerman, Hakim, Stanton Moore, Copeland, Carey, Buddy... SO many others in rock, jazz, latin. The list could burn down audiogon. Of course, it goes without saying Peart. Those are some of my big list.

Probably one, if not THE most amazing drummers I have ever seen is Keith Carlock. Relatively unknown as a household named drummer, currently plays primarily with Steely Dan. Look him up. Wow...