Upgrade Internal DAC of Node or go with Atoll ST120.

Looking at upgrading to a external DAC for my Bluesound Node or picking up a all in one streamer/dac like the Atoll MS120 or ST200 or another brand all together. My price for all in one would be around $1500 and DAC only would be $1000. I stream via Qobuz. Big question would be what option between these two would sound best. 

128x128temmple

I have had excellent results sending the BS Node to an external DAC. Having separates has also allowed me to try different DAC's (e.g. the Denafrips Ares) and that has been fun. I had an Atoll but it was an integrated amp with no DAC. They make good amplifiers for sure but I don't know about the quality of their streamers and DAC's.

I am thinking about the Aune X8 with upgraded PS to go with the node. I have a Draco DAC but that has started to fail after just a few months of use. 

One very important consideration in picking a streamer that often doesn’t get enough attention when discussing performance is the user interface, how easy it is to find the music you want and control it. That’s one of the best arguments for keeping the Bluesound Node and going for an external DAC. The Bluesound software is excellent, easy to understand and easy to use. And you would keep that superior interface even if your next DAC isn’t exactly what you want, either.

The Draco is an excellent DAC, especially for the price (I own the Pegasus, and according to the review on soundnews.net the Draco comes really close in performance). If it’s still under warranty get it fixed/replaced and focus on upgrading your steamer. I’d look at buying something used that’s much better than the Node (Lumin, Aurender, Innuos, etc.). While the Node gets the job done it just doesn’t suppress noise near the level of better streamers, and noise suppression is one of the key aspects of getting better streaming performance. And I’d definitely avoid combo units as both DAC and streaming tech are improving so quickly it would be better to be able to upgrade those separately when needed/desired.  FWIW, and best of luck.

The Lumin D2 is now on the list as well as the Soncoz SGD1

So many options. 

I would listen to @sfar regarding, as you already know, how great the Bluesound software is.  Adding an external DAC is simple and made my Node Sing.

There is the CD Creative board that can easily be switched into your Node but you will then need to buy a linear power supply, which all basically comes in around the same price as the Node itself.

So now my list looks like this:

--DAC/Streamer Options—

Atoll MS120 or ST200

Lumin D2

--DAC only with Node—

Soncoz SGD1

Aune X8

The blue sound node is very low quality,it’s fine if audio quality is an afterthought 

rule of thumb 25% on average goes into a product including packaging 

the rest overhead and markup meaning $125 ,  buy a $950 Denafrips aries2 dac 

even run through a computer ,night and day better sound ,my nephew had one at college it’s ok  for streaming at a beginner level , I just use a purpose built computer for music and external dac , and for Ethernet a Uptone audio Ether regen

it truly cleans up the digital incoming signal after the router at the end point ,

for usb a nice little ad on is usb perfect  the usb cable plugs into.

buya quality usb cable and ethernet cable , if on a budget a excellent model for both cables is, the Wireworld  star light . I have been just working my way up in streaming ,,I am trying to buy the Denafrips Terminator + it’s excellent dac  my personal favorite in its price class $6400, it competes with anything even at $10 k 

an-easy recommendation  !

I’ve been looking at the Gustard R26 as a dac upgrade that has an integrated streamer.  Slightly more than your budget but likely worth it.

The R26 was on my list but not much info on the built in streamer. DAC is supposed to be pretty amazing for the money though.

Dac technology is always changing. I would go toa separate DAC and be able to upgrade when you want

The Gustard 26 Pro noticeably improved SQ in my system even though inhad upgraded the PSU in my NODE. More than your budget but I think a very good value and a solid unit

@temmple 

In addition to adding an external DAC consider adding a Teddy Pardo external LPS to your Node. The Node with the external LPS performs fantastic and then you can continue using the excellent BluOS platform. Good luck! 

Ron

Looking at upgrading to a external DAC for my Bluesound Node 

Several folks mentioned bypassing the DAC in the Blue Sound Node and using an alternate DAC, but no one explains how that is done. Can someone help a neophyte ?

There are three output options on the back of the Node --

- A pair of left and right analog outputs that use the internal DAC in the Node and connect to the right and left analog inputs of your amplifier.

- one coax and one optical digital output, either one of which can be connected to the input of an external DAC. Then the analog outputs of the DAC are connected to your amp.

Check out the images of the Node on a site like crutchfield.com

Has anyone looked at the MiND 2 Network Player from Simaudio ($2400 USD)?  Quite a jump in price from the Node but I'm wondering if this step up would unlock the performance of a very good DAC.

Any input on what setup on my list would sound best? Prefer a more neutral sound.

--DAC/Streamer Options—

Atoll MS120 or ST200

Lumin D2

--DAC only with Node—

Soncoz SGD1

Aune X8

Ares II

I have a Node2 and also Cambridge Audio CXN 60. I don’t know the Atoll. The CA would fit your budget, offers Chromecast and AirPlay, has been very reliable and sounds audibly superior to the Node. It does a great job with Internet Radio and has a good app.  I have found Nodes to be unreliable so I would just go with a new machine and get it out of the equation 

I am really trying to decide between the Lumin D2 and the Atioll ST200 but hard to find any comparisons online. 

One last shot here before I pull the trigger.

Lunen D2 or Node with Denefrips AresII DAC? Just looking for the best sound quality.

I have a Node 2 with an MHDT DAC (has an output tube). It sounds excellent, but the streamer is the weakest link in the signal path. Instead of a new streamer I’m buying a Teddy Pardo external power supply kit for the Node 2 that I’m told will only take maybe 20 minutes to install without any special tools. Everyone’s experience is it greatly improves the Node 2 SQ. I highly recommend this route.

Good morning,

I have a Bluesound Node 2i feeding into a Denafrips Ares ii dac and the sound is very good. In the past I had a Schitt Bifrost, but the Denafrips Ares ii can mop the floor with the Bifrost! My next change will be to upgrade to a better streamer to achieve even better sound quality. Go Denafrips! 🇺🇦🇺🇸🤜

What streamer options are you looking at? Thinking I might go with the ifi zen streamer if I go the Ares II route but the Zen streamers does not have proper Qobuz integration so not sure. I am now thinking about ditching Qobuz for Tidal because of this issue. Wish Qobuz would step up to the plate and offer a connect feature like Tidal and Spotify do. 

I am waiting a few more months to see if a new ifi zen streamer comes out with improvements. 

@temmple 

I have the newest Node, the N130 and as a streamer it’s really pretty good. They also added USB that can be used as an input (memory stick/hard drive) or an output.  The DAC in it is better than it’s predecessors, but isn’t great by any stretch.  I’m currently running it into a Denafrips Pontus ll and the sound is amazing.  I just ordered the Teddy Pardo LPS for it and hope that makes it even better!

Getting a DAC from Schiit is another option. I have an original Bifrost and it sounds pretty darn good. 

All the best.

JD

Post removed 

The Denafrips Ares II DAC is an excellent starter DAC and a huge improvement over the internal Node DAC. Make sure to feed it via a good USB cable.....like a Supra USB cable, great for the money.....the Supra 2.0 USB sounds very good for about $51, and the Supra Excalibur is teriffic at $140 (both  on eBay, but buy from from Zendada who is the official importer for the USA