Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

Using the Terminators clock out will take your Iris to another level.  Look for a used TP and use the savings to upgrade the Power cables, I2S cable and USB cable and Clock cables for the Iris.  

To nquery:  Thanks for your comparison of Halo May and Lampizator B3. They are both on my short list and those with systems similar to mine (very important) have been encouraging the B3. The only other DACs that have matched them have been units above the stated budget. There are a few others but would be *unproven* in direct comparisons if selected. Simple as that. 

To jeremyjava:  moving song, old Leon. Saw him sing it live just before he died. 

To Gregjacob and wdguru, thanks for the comments and for overlooking or deciphering my voice to text typos. Please do me a favor and listen to Leon Russell sing A Song for You. If it doesn't bring you to tears i don't know what will... it's shocking with the halo may.   

Or maybe it's just me, it's the song my dad plays when he thinks of my mom and his memories of her. 

i am GOBSMACKED by my PS Audio DirectStream Dac. soundstage blew the walls out of my room. taller, wider, deeper

I was forced by AT&T in finding the best DAC I ever heard.   

I have a Schiit Yggy. 

AT&T mandated that I stop using their DSL, and installed Fiber.  

The Fiber quieted things down .. apparently the copper running the DSL and the DSL modem attracted noise.  AT&T supplied a new hefty looking modem.  It sounded quieter and smoother than DSL ever did.  

Then one day when checking my modem set up, I realized that by default the wi-fi was always on... and the software for a landline phone was also turned on.   I turned off the wi-fi and shut down the phone operation.  " New Quiet!"  It seems that those two operational features (even when not used) would contribute to activity on my mother board.  Noise was being produced.  

I connect the fiber modem via an audiophile ethernet cable from the modem to my PC.  And use a high quality USB cord to my Yggy.  It never sounded as good no matter what modem I had been using.  

If AT&T did not force me to switch to fiber?  I would still be trying to find some tweak to get things better.... It now sounds so natural.   I am a musician.  I know what real instruments sound like.  I am impressed. 

Holo’s DAC has a dedicated DSD DAC instead of converting to PCM like most ladder DACS including the Denafrips.

Plus +1 for Sonnet Pasithea reference level dac

Many great reviews like this :

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/sonnet-pasithea-dac-review-and-measurements.12382/

A third recommendation for the Sonnet Pasithea. Auditioned vs. Tambaqui, Weiss, Holo May, Linn Klimax. Tambaqui was 2nd choice. With its Hermes streamer connected via I2S it's simply joyous. 

I have owned both the Holo May KTE (with HQP upsampled input) and Lampizator Baltic 3. A/B'ed them for a while but honestly, it didn't take long to convince me that the B3 sounded much better. (The May certainly wins on build quality, and technical measures no doubt). I have also owned an Amber 3 and that was very good too. The new Amber 4 is probably a great option.

I have to agree with JeremyJava on the Holo May KTE about the placement of instruments, particularly on  a well recorded piano piece. You can really hear  the spacing of notes from high to low.

One other thing the May lets you do is play sacd's using an HDMI to I2S Interface. The files register as DSD on the Holo display.

To jeremyjava:

Beautiful testimony and completely relatable. The May is on my short list (now down to about 4-5). Thanks for adding this. 

To chopandchange:

You mentioned the Elite Plixir Conditioner.  
Yes, I actually have a similar line conditioner but made by Denafrips. 

With a pass 350.8 vac sig mk2 pre, lumin t2 and martin logan clx art speakers and a few other pieces, my wife and I were pretty thrilled with our system and weren't sure how much of a difference to expect with the holo may kte. The seller (an electrical engineer with decades of DIY high End audio experience)  even said to expect somewhere in between a subtle and an "in your face" dif, thus our expectations were low and figured we would just sell it for what we paid for it if there was really no significant discernible difference. Iactually felt a bit silly or guilty spending that much on a dac, but Holy cow were we wrong. 

The difference was *remarkable and extraordinary.* In short: we thought vocals sounded outstanding and accurate and beautiful and full and Rich before so how could they sound any better? The answer is that they now sound *human* in a way that I/we didn't know they could. For the first time it sounds like sting or Adele or whoever is actually in the room... it feels like you can sense the shape of their head and which direction they're standing. My wife is a medical expert with a couple of degrees in speech therapy and pathology, and is a doctor of anatomy, plus has a degree in vocal performance and music and she sings opera. 

Did I mention she knows a bit about the human voice? :) 

Her mouth dropped and she started laughing and then began crying when she heard the system with the May. cried when she heard the deck. I had the same reason and even the outstanding and Science- focused Goldensound reviewer on YouTube mentioned literally getting weepy listening to it.

The placement of instruments is remarkable in ways I didn't know to expect. I can't speak highly enough about it and when they come out with a higher end dac I’ll absolutely consider upgrading to that one.

An awesome DAC is the Bricasti M1SE!  Read the review in Stereophile!  In the used market you can usually find one below $6K.  I'd also recommend the Chord Hugo TT2!  Both are in your price range!   Good luck and enjoy!

Total Dac the French made Dacs are highly regarded in Europe. And with the strong $ a complete steal. Check them out.

Before upgrading your DAC perhaps you should check out the suggestion from by @maurice89 by trying the Elite Plixir Conditioner first!

I would have the conditioner connected to your source (streamer) and current DAC if you go for the smallest one.

This may inadvertently improve you current system immeasurably. Or at least put in a solid footing for further upgrade paths later.

Great thread, because I am just about starting to look for a dedicated DAC.

I am tempted by the T+A DAC200 based on @phastm3 post. This comes to me a a genuine recommendation. I had heard about the T+A DAC but never paid much attention. Need to find a way to listen to this one.

The Hugo TT2 also tempts me because it is also FPGA based. The Rockna Wavelight was a big let down because it converts DSD to PCM. Had it not done this, I would have purchased it a couple of months after it's release.

@gregjacob, @verdantaudio has a nice thread (from last year?) where he compares a lot of DAC. That is also a very informative thread. Did you go through that?

You want anolog sound with layering, get a space tech labs dac with one of his super rectifiers. 

To rsf507:   Of course I’ve “listened to” the DAC suggestions, and responded to most. No, I haven’t made a final decision. I can honestly say that as the discussion has grown, it’s helped clarify many of the DACs I will not have on a short list. I’ve also emailed and made phone calls to inquire more in detail with some companies or dealers to help. I’ve been planning on plunking down for this upgrade around the end of October so it wasn’t going to be a rash choice. I do hope the discussion is helping others as they search for their components as well. 

@gregjacob have you listened to any of the dac suggestions? Thoughts? Did you buy anything?

To goofyfoot:

Good example.  As competitive as the market is, we benefit by discovering DACs that align with our budget and taste.  This thread is an example of that.  

I agree with OP’s comments regarding changes in the area of new technologies. If I were interested in a DAC, I would try to determine whether there’s a good chance that the maker will offer upgrades in the future. Especially if you end up spending beyond the $3,500.00 number, you’ll want that DAC to stay current for at least ten plus years.

Also, I have a very good DAC but the addition of the ISO Regen and an XLR Akiko Audio tuning stick elevates it. These were not cheesy tweaks at all.

Sorry to ask the question but what about a Bluenode streamer, could this be upgraded with any of these fine DaC’s being discussed here.? I have a relatively low budget system with Anthem AVM70 processor, Revel M126Be bookshelves with a Velodyne sub, and a vintage 5 channel Adcom amp. 

Sorry to ask the question but what about a Bluenode streamer, could this be upgraded with any of these fine DaC’s being discussed here.? I have a relatively low budget system with Anthem AVM70 processor, Revel M126Be bookshelves with a Velodyne sub, and a vintage 5 channel Adcom amp. 

@tvad, agreed. Excellent wording change suggestion.
And after owning Daedalus Ulysses and Argos, I’d also theorize M3 over the M1. 

Post removed 

Calling the Bricasti M3 “light” and/or “bright” goes against the reviews, as well as my own experience owning one for a couple years (yes, with MDX). It was never light or bright in my system, through a few system iterations. The M3 is ‘warmer feeling’ than the M1 due to M3’s low end performance over the M1, combined with M1 being more detailed over the M3. I also owned Daedalus speakers for almost a decade. I see no synergy issues happening between Bricasti and Daedalus. Daedalus are powerful, sometimes forward (in the good way) and not ‘lean’ but def not fat/round in the bass, so IMO, something like the M3 would have great synergy. 

Thanks Tom!  Good suggestion and I will certainly look at the TT2. Kind regards. 

I would think the Chord TT2 would be the best match as others have suggested. I base that on how it would work with your existing gear, using a tube amp and Harbeths, it would balance them out nicely. I think if I had neutral, analytical sounding speakers and amplifiers I would want an R2R DAC like Holo Audio to bring an organic richness, but with your kit the purity, accuracy and detail of a Chord DAC would maximize the sound of your other components, which have a character of their own that you like. And you can upgrade it with the m-scaler at a later date.

Edit: sorry you can ignore this comment, I typed it before I read your update about not using the Harbeths, I'm not familiar with the Dadealus so couldn't really help. But I think all these suggestions are great and your system should sound epic with a nice upgrade. Good luck in your search.

To Facten:

Thanks for that good input!  The Aqua La Scala has enthusiastic reviews. I’ll put it in the top 3-4 DACs that I’m down to. 

To Badgerdms:  I talked with Nicholas at LTA. They still favor the Lampizators but also recommended the Halo Audio May if I shy away from tubes. They have paired the May with their systems recently at shows and gotten great reviews. 

@gregjacob -  If you read some of the Lampi threads over on WhatsBestForum I'm not sure you can single out a particular sound of Lampi DACs as folks seem to do a lot of tube rolling in them. Not a bad thing , I have tube equipment and do likewise, just pointing out that it may be something to consider when you look further into them.

In the additional for whatever it is worth category of comments, I expect that the Aqua LaScala would be a good fit with the Daedalus. An earlier version of it was compared in a review a few years back with the Modwright Elyse, my recollection of the review was they were similar in sound presentation with a slight overall edge to the Aqua LaScala. I had the Elyse in my main system with my Daedalus Argos V2 and they paired up well.

To Badgerdms:

Thanks so much for your advice. I will reach out to Nicholas to see what he recommends at the stage. I keep having a soft spot for Lampizator…

@gregjacob If you have Daedalus speakers and aspire to LTA electronics, reach out to Nichloas at LTA.  He owns Daedalus speakers and I know he has had extensive time with the Lampizator and the Holo Audio May DACs (and probably others). 

I own a LTA Z40+ in one room (with a McGary/Backert Labs combo in the other) and have Volti's and Fleetwood Devilles.  My speakers are going to be a little different than yours but I have some idea about the sonic signature you may be looking for.  Agree with Verdant that the Weiss/Chords are not what you are looking for.  I suspect that Bricasti may not be either.  I had an M3 in both of my systems for about a week--really engaging but a little lighter/brighter in my rig than I wanted.

If you are by chance in the DC area, you should set up a visit at LTA--they have some of your options (as they will at the Capitol Audio Fest in their headphone lounge). 

Agree the Bricasti M1 SE is wonderful as is the M3. Can't go wrong with either IMO

Try to find a used Bricasti M1 SE with Mdx upgrade. You’ll be surprised by the amazing quality.

I would definitely revise my suggestion based on the different speakers.  Bricasti would remain.  As would Audiobyte and Rockna.  I would also look at the Wavelight from Rockna which is a bit warmer than the Bricasti and I would definitely second Aqua.  It will be warmer than Bricasti but is good sounding.  Don’t bother with Weiss or Chord. 

To chowkwan:

No, you are the first to put forward the Crane Song DAC.  So much of what is reviewed, esp. professionally, will focus on larger manufacturers and mainstream usage.  Small independent companies with long wait times to order will always fall below.  But if the Crane DAC is as good as you say--comparing it with a $70k Nagra--it should be splashing all over the audiophile forums. I couldn't quickly find any thorough reviews on it or comparisons with other DACs.  But this thread may generate fresh buzz.  Thanks for bringing this to the table.

To audphile1:

Thanks for taking the time to share advice.  The higher-end Bricasti with network looks great and losing boxes and connectors would be welcome. As the discussion has progressed, of course, the temptation is to up the ante to try and reach a different level. It might be worth it to just hold with the equipment one has for a while longer, save up more and leap upward to a more worthwhile change. Thanks so much.

Crane Song HEDD Quantum gets you very close to the Nagra HD DAC X at a street price of 4299. Seductive analog sound from both units with the Nagra just a bit smoother.

Eye opening to see all the DAC's recommended. Pitily haven't compared the Crane Song to any of them.

* There is an Analog to Digital converter integrated into the Crane Song. Prolly most users on this forum will never use that capability.

@gregjacob

Here’s Holo Audio May KTE and Denafrips Terminator + comparison with some sound samples (hard to judge on youtube but gives some idea).

May KTE vs. Denafrips T+

Another YouTube review (part 1, you’ll find part 2 there as well).

May KTE review

I have considered these 2 DACs but in the end went with the Bricast M3 w/network player which allowed me to get rid of my Lumin streamer (one less box to deal with). Built in the USA, solid design, looks great IMO and I dig the sonic presentation (agree with @verdantaudio here on his description). I use Network Acoustics Eno streaming system (Ethernet cable plus filter) to feed the DAC and find the M3 in this configuration to be transparent, resolving, neutral and not analytical by any means. It throws a very good size soundstage as well. I can listen to it fatigue-free endlessly without any desire to lower the volume or walk out of the room to take a break. There are no digital artifacts that I can detect and the tone of instruments as rendered by the M3 is very natural. The M1SE is supposed to be even better but I never auditioned it so can’t offer any experience based thoughts. 

I’m probably going to state the obvious here but I think there’s almost always going to be a compromise with the DACs in this price range. You really must audition a DAC extensively in your system for at least several days and not rely on the first impressions.

Post removed 

To jerryg123:

The LessLoss Echos End is a beauty.  Would love to hear what it can do.  Can't find any reviews yet on the 5K model. Some buyers sent in reviews and their comparisons with other well-known DACs set the bar high.

To tvad:

Yes, I'm looking for transparent / neutral. Accurate without dry clinical. I will mention that Lou Hinkley, the creator of the Daedalus line, likes LTA amps and Lampizator DACS.  They have all worked together at trade shows.  I bought the PrimaLuna because it had some of the traits of the LTA but didn't hit my budget as hard while I'm building so many components at once.  I think the PrimaLuna is, for a tube amp, not too warm /tuby.  It has a nice, neutral sound that pairs well with the Daedalus.  My search has been this:  I bought the well-reviewed Denafrips Pontus II and Denafrips Iris DDC to enjoy while saving for a better DAC.  So whatever I buy at this point has to be a good jump *up* from there, thus the $7,000.00 cap. If Lou Hinkley's choice for his speakers is of the Lampizator line, then that might be a starting parameter soundwise. Of course, we are all looking for the most analog sound possible.

Post removed