Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

Showing 4 responses by badgerdms

@w123ale You just described the Merason DAC1 to a "T".  I had the Bricasti M3 in for a few days and with my set-up (Fleetwood Devilles, McGary Integrated, Backert Labs Pre) the Merason was the better fit.

+1 for the Merason DAC1.  It's towards the analog end of the spectrum while having a lot of detail, a very wide soundstage and excellent bass.  Some folks love to focus on resolution, but I find that once you hit a certain level, more resolution isn't always a good thing.  My direct comparison was with the Weiss 501/502 and the Chord stuff.  I much preferred the Merason.  to either of those.

@gregjacob If you have Daedalus speakers and aspire to LTA electronics, reach out to Nichloas at LTA.  He owns Daedalus speakers and I know he has had extensive time with the Lampizator and the Holo Audio May DACs (and probably others). 

I own a LTA Z40+ in one room (with a McGary/Backert Labs combo in the other) and have Volti's and Fleetwood Devilles.  My speakers are going to be a little different than yours but I have some idea about the sonic signature you may be looking for.  Agree with Verdant that the Weiss/Chords are not what you are looking for.  I suspect that Bricasti may not be either.  I had an M3 in both of my systems for about a week--really engaging but a little lighter/brighter in my rig than I wanted.

If you are by chance in the DC area, you should set up a visit at LTA--they have some of your options (as they will at the Capitol Audio Fest in their headphone lounge). 

I haven't heard the Peachtree, but I have heard both Technics GaN integrated amps.  They are both unbelievably good.  I've also got LTA, McGary and Backert Labs in the house for comparisons.  With the right speakers, I'd put the SU R-1000 up against nearly anything under 20K.  Like all things, it's always a matter of preference in presentation, but one boutique speaker manufacturer recommends the smaller Technics amps (G700M2) with his speakers that cost more than 5X the amp.