Best DACs under $7,000.00

I'm tentatively beginning the search for a DAC upgrade.  Currently, I have Innuos Zen MK3 as a streamer connected via USB to a Denafrips Iris DDC that is connected via I2S to a Denafrips Pontus II DAC.  The Pontus II is excellent but I feel it's the one point where I could gain incremental improvement toward that illusive natural, layered, analog end-of-the-rainbow.  I simply can't / won't spend above $5,000.00 - $7,000.00 on the DAC. The rest of my system:  top-of-line Prima Luna Evo 400 Integrated Amp and a set of Harbeth speakers.  Right now, I'm looking at Denafrips Terminator II or Holo Audio May DAC.  I've never seen an a/b comparison of these two, but both stand out and have a following.  Of course, the unsettling thing is DACs have evolved so much and are still in a blooming state technologically, making it a given that whatever we have today will probably be surpassed by better for less later, like electric vehicles. But that's the nature of the beast.  Does anyone have alternative suggestions in this current climate?

gregjacob

Showing 1 response by audphile1

@gregjacob

Here’s Holo Audio May KTE and Denafrips Terminator + comparison with some sound samples (hard to judge on youtube but gives some idea).

May KTE vs. Denafrips T+

Another YouTube review (part 1, you’ll find part 2 there as well).

May KTE review

I have considered these 2 DACs but in the end went with the Bricast M3 w/network player which allowed me to get rid of my Lumin streamer (one less box to deal with). Built in the USA, solid design, looks great IMO and I dig the sonic presentation (agree with @verdantaudio here on his description). I use Network Acoustics Eno streaming system (Ethernet cable plus filter) to feed the DAC and find the M3 in this configuration to be transparent, resolving, neutral and not analytical by any means. It throws a very good size soundstage as well. I can listen to it fatigue-free endlessly without any desire to lower the volume or walk out of the room to take a break. There are no digital artifacts that I can detect and the tone of instruments as rendered by the M3 is very natural. The M1SE is supposed to be even better but I never auditioned it so can’t offer any experience based thoughts. 

I’m probably going to state the obvious here but I think there’s almost always going to be a compromise with the DACs in this price range. You really must audition a DAC extensively in your system for at least several days and not rely on the first impressions.