Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Hey team. Been a while. I really don’t have the time or tenacity to find the info in this epic thread!  But can someone post a link that most directly answers the question about upgrading the CS2.4 crossover and what parts are involved and if a how to exists that would be great!

also it’s been a bit but are there premade replacement crossovers I can just buy?

last_lemming

Good to see you here. Stay tuned until one of our DIY experts chimes in to address your query.

Happy Listening!

tomthiel

Thank You for the XO update. Good to learn that upgrade packages will be available this year. Your diligence and hard work are paying off. The Panel will be ready.

Happy Listening!

Hi All! I found the replacement amp for the Thiel SS2 subwoofer. Rob told me a BASH S500 would work. https://www.parts-express.com/Bash-500S-500W-Digital-Subwoofer-Amplifier-300-752?quantity=1

It isn't the same exact dimensions so I will have to make a custom ring or gasket for it to fit on the back of the sub. If anyone wants a broken SS2 amp for parts, please let me know.

-Brian

Hello group...

Previous Thiel owner from Lexington KY!

Home to original Thiel offices, Jim and Kathy etc...

Very fond memories walking around production site looking at all the beautiful veneer that they created...

Anyway, now approaching 70, and diving back to nostalgia..

Looking for 3.6 or perhaps 2.3 for music room..

Pretty hard to find I see...but looking...

Plan on driving with Aragon 4004 mkII amp. Would like to find tube amp with remote control...(Yes, I know)

Anyway, happy listening..

@jlm86 

There is a beautiful set of 3.6's in NY state and a set of white 2.4's in Virginia ,

both are listed on Reverb and both are local pickup only , 

Thank you, yes I saw those in NY...

Very nice...

Can't do the driving like before, else I'd be going...

I always look here for items for sale (right now the closest Thiels to Lexington KY are 1.2s in Cary NC about 7.5 hours of drive time) - 

jlm86

Welcome! Good to see you here today. There has never been a better time to purchase Thiel loudspeakers. Watch here, eBay and U.S. Audiomart on a regular basis for models- CS 2.3 or 3.6. I look forward in reading more abut your Musical tastes and System.

Happy Listening!

@jim86, The Aragon 4004 MkII might not be an ideal candidate for either the Thiel CS 3.6 or Thiel 2.3.:

Aragon 4004 Dual Mono Power Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine

Thiel CS3.6 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Thiel CS2.3 Loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

If you want to drive these Thiel's you would be better off with an amp with a rated current capability to output at least 400 Watts into 2 Ohms.

If you want to stick with the Aragon 4004 MK II, perhaps you might be better off with Thiels that have a 4 Ohm or higher minimum impedance.

When you say you ..."Would like to find a tube amp with remote voloume control...(Yes, I know)"... Do your mean a pre-amp or line stage?

I have the chance to buy a pair of mint condition SCS4T and I wonder if someone can share some users experiences.

I have a small dedicated listening room (190 sq feet) and perhaps it can work in such small space.

Thanks.

@audiofilo123, The SCS’s can be just the right Thiel’s for many small rooms.

The versions without the decorative only cabinet extensions of the “T” version are probably the preferred model though.

audiofilo123

Good to see you here today. Stay tuned until one of our SCS4T experts chime in to address your query. We have a few fans/owners of SCS4(T) speakers on The Panel.

Happy Listening!

Hi guys, i now have my new Jadis DA88S integrated amp in silver finish driving my CS 3.7s with KT88 tubes.

Jadis class A tube power is spectacular with my Thiel speakers, much better than all SS amps i have tried to date.

thieliste

Thank You for the update. Good to read that Jadis is a sonic match for our beloved speakers.  The Integrated Amp,  has really progressed forward in the last 10 years.

Happy Listening!

Hi All

I am hoping to leverage the collective wisdom of this forum since I do not have the persevere to read through this whole thread.  :) Although, I hope to in time.

I am the proud and only owner of a pair of 3.6s.  The only modification I have made is replacing the ferrofluid a few years ago.  

• Are there any stands or feet that folks recommend?  They currently sit on a porcelain tile floor.  I no longer have the original spikes and the bases are not in the best of shape so I will likely replace them.
  • Given that I have had them for 30+ years, are there any other upgrades that I should consider?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

joe_dittmann

Welcome! Good to see you here today. Stay tuned until one of our 3.6 Panel experts chimes in to address your query. I look forward in reading more about your Musical tastes and System.

Happy Listening!

Thank you jafant!  It is very much appreciated.  I'm a bit all over the map in terms of musical tastes.  Louis Armstrong was famously quoted "There is two kinds of music, the good, and the bad. I play the good kind."  I would like to think I listen to the good :) but mostly indie rock/country, experimental, international and jazz.  

I also was stubborn listener of two channel music until a few years ago when I realized that I was spending more time with my family watching shows/movies than listening on my own.  The 3.6s are now currently part of a home theatre setup with a SCS4 center channel.  I just recently upgraded my amp to an Arcam pa240 for the 3.6s.