Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

jchussey - the CS3 EQ is approximately the same as the CS3.5. You could substitute them. The CS3 EQ starts a little higher at about 100Hz rather than 80Hz for the 3.5 and maxes out a little higher at about 26Hz rather than 20Hz for the 3.5.

Look at the CS3 Stereophile review to see the curve. The response without the EQ will be the mirror image of that boost curve drawn below the 0 axis.

The CS3 and 3.5 are identical in intent. The tweeters are the same, the woofers are the same except the 3.5 cone is coated for a smoother response. Rob has that coating that you could apply. The midrange is the big difference. The original SEAS wasn't up to the task and overloaded in the lower mid / upper bass and sometimes failed. The ScanSpeak 3.5 mid was far more robust and broader range. Note the sculpted baffle edges of your CS3s are true conical sections, which are a bit 'better' than the single radius curves of the 3.5. 

I am treating the 2 models the same, they will get the same new tweeter and midrange built on the CS3.6. And the EQ will be substantially better. It is prototyped and sounding good.

tomthiel

As always, Thank You for fielding the CS3 query.  No doubt that Model 3.5 is the most popular here among The Panel.  Another detailed, interesting Thiel Audio history lesson via CS3 and CS 3.5 loudspeakers and EQ.

Happy Listening!

jafant

Thank you very much for the kind reception and direction. It is appreciated!

tomthiel

Thank you for the detailed, comprehensive and welcoming response. DM coming!

quasar24

My pleasure. What other Gear is in your System?

Happy Listening!

Post removed 

sweetblues

Welcome! good to see you here. Great to read about your CS 2.4 (SE) loudspeakers. What are your serial numbers? I look forward in reading more about your Musical tastes and System.

Happy Listening!

jafant

Currently the CS2s are sharing time with Zu audio DW6 Supremes, LS50 Metas and Holt Hill Cionnsaile Monitors. Downstream there is a number of items that range from tubes to SS.

I am sure you are well aware of the Audio Illness :)

If I can add to @tomthiel ’s exceellent summary ot the CS 2’s; on numerous occsasions different individuals at Thiel Audio have commented that the CS 2’s were the most robust, reliable speakers Thiel has ever made.

As a personal note, while the CS 2’s are perhaps the easiest from a technical perspective Thiel’s to drive, they do benefit from quality amplification. The ported bass can be a bit soft and perhaps due to this there can be something of a sonic upward tilt, coupled with a somewhat forward presentation. New they were a real value; at their current used prices make these speakers an absolute terrific bargain. Some users might have been temepted to overdrive them with underpowered amplification. The double sided baffle tape might make baffle removal a bit difficult, but it is most prudent to examine the drivers before purchasing to make sure they are original and in good shape. I’ve seen many where unscrupulous sellers try pass off cheap fixes as originals. I don’t mean to discourage potential buyers, just the opposite. If the seller refuses to offer photos of the drivers, or if you see them connected to cheap recievers: be wary.

Coupled to an amplifier with tight bass, a sweet top end, that isn’t too forward in presentation (not typicaly a cheap, easy find) one can put together a fairly inexpensive system that shoots way above it’s weight class. Despite their really inexpensive used costs, they can really benefit from better upstream gear.

I’m not sure there’s a better used speaker available at their current asking prices. Highly recommened!

Today marks this thread's 8th Anniversary here on AudiogoN. Since inception, we are acquiring and attracting new Contributors and Members of the Panel. Most of you guys enjoy Jim's earlier or vintage models as well. A model for every Audiophile!
It was another banner year in 2023 as membership continues to grow. 
As for this New Year, I would like to attract more Industry insiders.
I know that you guys are reading this thread. Feel free to drop by and say Hello. Same goes for Dealers/Retailers. 
Thank You! to The Panel for continuing to "make it happen" in 2024. 

Happy Listening! 

JA - congratulations on this forum and on the likes of unsound and pops chiming in after all this time. 2024 is bringing some tangible fruition. Long, slow trudge, with so many lessons learned and alliances made. I thank all of you who have taken on your various tasks and contributed your knowledge and shared your outcomes.

My best wishes to all. Tom

tomthiel

Thank You for the kind words. I have a feeling that 2024 will bring much joy for fans and owners of Thiel Loudspeakers here and on other Audio forums.

Happy Listening!

2024 is bringing some tangible fruition

@tomthiel Best wishes for 2024. I hope you are able to bring your sonic advances to a larger audience this year. I will testify to the notably improved sound quality via passive parts upgrades under your guidance. Curious to know more about your wire advances. You might recall I was really pleased with the Cardas hookup wire and binding posts on my build. But it sounds like you have something you like even more!

@beetlemaina - good to see you. Your nod to Cardas led to their inclusion in this winding journey, where I ended with their 'chassis wire', which I consider a masterpiece of innovative engineering. Straightwire, Iconoclast, Morrow, Kimber, Fishman and MIT physics have also contributed knowledge, expertise, samples and guidance.

Interesting that all of you beta rebuilders have replaced Thiel stock wire, all being pleased. I agree with your perceived need. It would take a book to sift through the particulars; but suffice to say that my solution contains multiple elements of new art and addresses the shortcomings of Thiel's wire without sacrificing an iota of its intention and successes. I'm sorry that I can't expound.

My guiding lights include correctness and cost-effectiveness, which doesn't translate as rejecting better if too expensive. My cost-effective solution is better than anything I've experienced for my purposes of correct transmission of audio signal. Yes, I'm pleased.

One of my development input streams is my recording. I record acoustic music in real time and space, very simply and directly. A pair of mics flat to 50kHz on a separating disc of Golden Proportion and non-diffractive / non-reflective surfaces. The 8' cable pair feeds a SoundDevices recorder at 32bit/192kHz without any protection, manipulation, or post processing. The SSD recording is the mic feed. Comparing and evaluating recordings with various cables (the only cables in the chain) has been extremely helpful in an extremely complex maze. I am confident that you will at least enjoy and I hope support my cables.

After the better part of a year of rejections, I have found an american cable manufacturer willing to take on the particulars required. We're getting started now and will have beta samples within the foreseeable future (God willing and the creek don't rise.)  We'll announce here. 

beetlemania

Good to see you here in 2024.  We really must talk one day about your DIY build.

Happy Listening!

tomthiel

Thank You for the Wire update. Looking forward to the next announcement here.

Be well and stay warm.

Happy Listening!

In case anyone is interested, Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago has lilsted a pair of Thiel CS6 for $1999 - local pickup only.

jazzman7

Nice catch! I hope those CS6 speakers find the next good home.

Happy Listening!

I continue to enjoy my CS.5 and still looking for a mint pair of CS1.5 or the more modern 1.6, only to get a tad more bass and grunt… love the sound :)

This is one of the most satisfying components on the proud of ownership scale…

audiofilo123

Yes! the CS 1.6 speaker will provide a measure more Bass and grunt. Keep a close eye on the look-out around the Web. What other gear and cabling is in your System?

Happy Listening!

@tomthiel, In your 1-16-2024 post you inidcated that your planned upgrades for the CS 3 and CS 3.5 would include the midrange and tweeter drivers of the CS 3.6. With this implementation will you be able to keep the minimum impedance of the CS 3 and CS 3.5 above 4 Ohms?

@unsound - the many moving parts are gradually coming into better focus. Neither of those 3.6 drivers is in production. The replacement drivers that will serve the 3.6, 3.5, 3 (plus earlier similar) models will be based on the 3.6 drivers, but can allow changes as we re-tool. I am exploring the crossover changes needed to accommodate higher driver and net system impedances. Jim never convinced me that he was correct in his low impedance jag. In fact, it was a significant disagreement between us in the day.

Regarding 'your' 3.5s and to the extent possible for all Renaissance re-issues, I am aiming for a 4 ohm minimum. The CS2 and previous models hung around 6 ohm nominal and 4 ohm minimum and could be driven very happily with a broad range of amps. I'm working back to that baseline.

@jafant 

unfortunately, here in Europe, Thiel speakers were always expensive and a bit rare. But I am still looking for a mint pair.

The have my kind of sound without a doubt:)

audiofilo123

My pleasure. If a pair crosses my radar, I will post here.

Happy Listening!

@unsound - I find it more cognitively dissonant in the used / classic speaker market than it was in the new / heyday speaker market for a speaker to require extremely specialized and expensive amplification in order to work, even reasonably well. Of course there are users with relatively small rooms who listen at relatively moderate amplitude and who by good research or luck have a moderately priced amp that can drive later-career Thiels. But there are more who don't and plenty of driver damage done by less-than-stable amps. Yes there were real problems winding underhung voice coils with enough turns to raise driver impedance. But there was also a look-the-other way attitude about less than ideal amps. Note that Jim's recommended amps were always priced at a substantial $ multiplier of a pair of Thiel speakers. 

kheine

Welcome! Good to see you here today. I look forward in reading more about your Musical tastes and system.

Happy Listening!

kheine - Yes.

There's a long story about the bottom inputs, but we can summarize that my design goal of furniture elegance without electronic clutter, has been less than popular.

Here are some considerations for your move that include the fruit of my recent redevelopment work. I believe that the 'wire as waveguide' construct is more functional than 'wire as electron conductor'. Sound quality will be improved more by managing propagation fields than by making lower resistance connections. I now land firmly on banana plugs rather than spades or bare wire. I also remove any excess conductive mass in the signal propagation path to reduce eddy currents. Therefore I judge your 3.6 plastic capped binding posts as sonically superior to the later large metal lugs and knobs. But greater improvement can be made by streamlining the signal path further by repositioning the inputs away from the electrically conductive input panel and using a straight-line, a low mass terminal system directly through the cabinet (bottom or) back. There is something to be said for positioning them at the back edge of the bottom, facing down. (I suspect you would rather not.)

I highly recommend the Electra connectors from GR Research. In fact, as a stand-alone improvement I suspect their ise will bring the largest SQ improvement / cost of anything you can do to your speakers. You would mount the pair at the bottom / back of the cabinet, right through the MDF panel (bottom or back). You can gain sufficient access through the woofer and the existing input panel.

Let us hear about your outcome.

FWIW, I personaly really like the bottom mounted cable posts. IMHO, they are an elegant solution to what otherwise would be a daily eye sore. Furthermore, it mitigates connectivity issues from curious children and pets, and the lessening of slack helps keep adults from tripping over speaker cables too.

I glad you get it and like it. That was the idea, but we're in the minority.    FWIW, I have done installations where the cable was routed under the floor and through a  drilled a hole through the floor  - voila - wireless speaker.

In case anyone is interested.

TMR has listed a pair of Black CS 2.4 speakers - serial# 1523, 1524.

Asking $1199 + $399 for shipping within continental US

tmraudio.com/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/thiel-cs2-4-floorstanding-speakers-black-pair/

TMR lists the age as 11 years. This I would take with a grain of salt. When I purchased My own pair of Thiel CS 2.4 serial# 2951, 2952 in 2011 they had 5 years left on their 10 year warranty. Therefore, based on the serial#s, I’d say that the date of manufacture for the pair just listed by TMR dates to somewhere between 2003 (the year of introduction) and 2006 (the year of manufacture for my pair).

What is the difference between the CS2.3 and the CS2.4? I have the CS2.3 with the upgraded double magnet for the coax. Just curious. Thanks!

jazzman7

Nice catch! I hope those CS 2.4 speakers find the next good home. Low serial numbers as well!

Happy Listening!

biannuzzi22

Good to see you here again.  Stay tuned until one of our CS 2.3 experts chimes in to address your query.  Was the upgraded double-magnet an option from Thiel?

Or, did someone else modify the Coax?   Very cool either way.

Happy Listening!

biannuzzi22 - I'm not a 2.3 expert, but I might shed some historic light around it.

The CS2.3 was the first-generation Thiel-designed coax. The 1990 SCS used a stock ScanSpeak 6.5" coax which solved Thiel's fundamental problem of working properly only for a seated listener 8' or more away. The coax upper driver was then applied to higher priced Thiels. By 1996 enough experience had been gained to produce a cost-effective coax. The model 2 was the chosen platform because its use in rooms smaller than for the model 3 and up made the model 2 a good candidate. Note, the model 1 never got a coax for cost reasons. The brainstorm was to create a mechanical crossover between the voice coil and midrange cone based on resilience/ viscosity to decouple the midrange cone from the directly driven tweeter dome - in just the right way. The product could only be created because we were prototyping all our drivers in-house by that time. It took more than a year of iteration to get it right. It worked, but with shortcomings that Jim addressed in the subsequent 2003 CS2.4. The 2.4 is considered the sweet spot of that design.

The bucking magnet was added in 2001, #4567 to manage the home theater use near televisions. The 2.3 coax was less expensive to produce than the 2.4, so it continued its career in the PCS and MCS models.

Jim continued work on the wrinkles of the mechanical coupling and had hoped to use an improved version in the CS7.3. A major element of that driver is the obviation of any electronic crossover between the midrange and tweeter. The joint crossover is devised to drive one electrical motor with compound mechanical elements covering the combined range.

Note: both the woofer and coax crossover sections are quite different between the models implying significant differences between the drivers. They are not interchangeable between the models. Your 2.3s are what they are. Any differences from the 2.4 would be speculation on my part. I have 2.4s and can't believe the wonderful sound quality for the price. That niche was in the DNA of the model 2 from the start.

Tom, thank you for your feedback, I’m disabled so I have some trouble getting the wires hooked to the bottom. Though once done, it won’t be a problem. We are still unpacking, and my music room is the last to get setup, so I’ll report back on banana plug connections. I have large spades now, and bananas on both ends will make hooking up, or changing wire easier, and per your report, sonically superior. 

kheine - Clearance is tight enough under the cabinet that some banana plugs are too long to fit. There are 45° locking banana plugs that solve that problem. Send me a PM if you wish.

tomthiel

Thank You for comparing models CS 2.3 vs. CS 2.4.  Very informative, as always.

Happy Listening!

This just in...

Mr. Bill Thalmann has passed away. There are a few tributes across the other Audiophile Forums. Feel free to share your experiences and/or stories about one of  the finest Gentlemen of Audio. R.I.P.

Happy Listening!

2nd Note;

Over on Audio Asylum (AA) there is a very nice piece on Mr. Bill Thalmann submitted by Abe Collins. Read under Central link/tab. I have written previously that Mr. Abe Collins is directly responsible for my peaked interest in Thiel Audio loudspeakers. I enjoyed reading about his Audio journey leading up to my 1st audition with model CS 2.4. Abe still has those loudspeakers in his listening room. 

A few years back I purchase his Accuphase DP-65v Reference cd player. This spinner continues to hold up well in 2024.

Happy Listening!

JA - can you post a link to Abe's tribute. I can't find his tribute to Bill.