Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Once again @jjss49 and @lordmelton have given us very valuable insights into the sound of the Musetec and other DACs. Any of the DACs mentioned together with care in digital signal delivery, I believe, will give the listener a real taste of what digital can do.

I would add only that some of the differences, admittedly small differences, among the several DACs considered can only be accurately understood and evaluated by reference to particular recordings and recording techniques. Consider, for example, the question of how up front or recessed might a soloist appear in relation to the speakers. Close miking would suggest, I think, that the soloist in an accurate system would be on the line between speakers, rather than recessed. Distant miking should reveal a more distant perspective.

A brief comparative review some years ago of my phono pre against another revealed that one of them had a singer up front and the other had the singer further back in the sound stage. The reviewer wrote that the buyer could make a choice based on preference. I recall saying to myself at the time that this doesn’t make sense. Only by knowing something about the recording set-up could one determine that one of the two more accurately revealed the proper spacing.

Here, as in other evaluations, I judge by classical music as there is usually some attempt to make it appear like a real event. So there can still be the close up orchestral perspective of a Mercury recording in Detroit vs. a distant perspective of a Philips recording in Amsterdam. What I seek are components that reveal these differences. The sound of a grand piano on a large concert stage will be very different than the same piano in an average room. Closeness or distance will be but one aspect of the difference. Some recordings put the piano in my room; others have it at a distance on a stage. Similarly for chamber music.

Re another issue consider, for example, the comment of the slightly leaner mid-bass giving a sense of slightly greater clarity. Some of you may know that I’ve been experimenting lately with some very interesting balanced Chinese interconnects. Well, one of these provides to the Musetec precisely what is described here. It works spectacularly well for some recordings. Whether it works well for a great variety of recordings is something that I am currently wrestling with. Applied to some other DAC it may take it too far into the entirely too lean category. I will write more about this cable adventure in time.

All of which is to say that good component reviewing can be very, very difficult. @jjss49 did some terrific work here and some very careful listening. Expressing these sonic issues in words is a tall order. My only demur would be in the lack of musical examples. The difficulty, of course, is that we don’t have a common base of music so that we can all hear what the reviewer hears. I guess I miss the old TAS days when they would chose from a small group of recordings.

@melm Absolutely true on sound stage perspective  issue.

I recently listened to system far more recessed sound stage than mine, far too many variables to determine cause. I can only say any single one of so many variables could affect sound stage to some extent, meaning, while @jjss49  did in fact hear this absolute difference in sound staging between the two dacs, changing any one particular variable or a combo of them could give one more preferred sound stage. IME 005 has pretty much spot on sound staging in my setup and for my taste. I like a bit more up front sound stage, my Klipschorns and SET amplification give me immediate, performers in room perspective, 005 heightens this sensation. I'm not into the performers in some other venue, studio perspective.

I've also experienced the leaner bass, greater clarity thing. Doesn't mean component with greater bass not as resolving or even more resolving than component with leaner bass. Possibility of changing out multi variables to attain leaner bass from component with excess bass, may turn out to have greater resolving capabilities than leaner bass component.

At this point in time, having now seen a number of 005 comparisons to other dacs, I've yet to be convinced 005 commits either sin of commission or omission. While I'm open to trying another dac, still waiting for a knock out punch. Which leaves me wondering, are we at this inflection point in dacs, where differences are mostly about small deviations in things like sound stage perspective, freq. response, tonality, etc? I'm waiting to see comparison where 005 clearly inferior in resolving, transparency.  Having yet to hear sins of commission in my setup, lack of analog like sound would be greatest sin here, I'm waiting to be convinced there are sins of omission, hope I'm not the one having to purchase the around $20k dac only to satisfy my curiosity.

@melm 

I agree. How good it would be if we could get back to the old Absolute Sound reviewing philosophy. Audiophile terms such as "layered", "seperation", etc. are less useful in the abstract. The baseline ideally should be a real musical event. 

@jjss49 I am looking into a DAC upgrade and saw this thread. Your comparisons are really outstanding, even though the Weiss and Bricasti are above my pay grade so to speak but your care in how you did what you did sets a high standard for how people should contribute here. It is very helpful indeed. I get how folks can get damned defensive and pouty when they learn that something they bought and think is just the cats meow isn’t the best, its lame but just human nature I think. I spent money to buy this so now it is the best.

So you mentioned you got some new speakers? Im curious to know which ones,

I get how folks can get damned defensive and pouty when they learn that something they bought and think is just the cats meow isn’t the best, its lame but just human nature I think. I spent money to buy this so now it is the best.

Interesting take. My inference from responders is different.

Charles

All of these comparisons and reviews on this thread are subjective. People have different ears, specific system needs, and financial comfort spending on DACs.

The Musetec 005 is great in 1 of my systems and not good in another (my headphones). Saying all of that, I am expecting to buy my second 005 in 3 or 4 weeks from a fellow A'goner.

@troidelover1499 Yes I totally agree with you it's very difficult to eat your own words when you find out that your darling DAC, which you have sung the praises of all over this forum, takes a knockout punch from an unknown $3k contender.

There are many reviews of the Weiss DACs on the internet and despite Daniel Weiss' white paper regarding his digital volume control being as good or better than the best pre-amps, it has been proven to be grossly inaccurate.

I have compared the Musetec 005 extensively in very high end systems, with pre-amps, against the MEDUS (I incorrectly stated MEDEA in my previous post).

The Medus is a $20k plus DAC and barely keeps up with the 005. The 005 buries it with it's massive soundstage and fabulous reproduction of percussion.

So if I'd paid $10k for a Weiss and $11k for a Bricasti (no comment, I've not heard it) I'd be shooting myself in the foot financially to say the 005 is better, at least in the value stakes.

So maybe you think I'm a tosser but most people who have heard the 005 will unanimously echo my remarks. So if you are genuinely looking for a DAC check out the 005, you'd be a fool not to 😀

@yyzsantabarbara Apologies for the late reply regarding Coda/Benchmark pre-amps, I haven't heard either but I think I'm correct in saying the Coda is active and the Benchmark is a linestage. Both are very well regarded but I would expect the Coda to sound better, not withstanding it's double the price.

I assume you're getting a custom power supply made for it. In the meantime why don't you try out a SR Purple fuse, they've had dramatic effects in my pre-amps.

Your headphone setup uses a Benchmark DAC, if I remember correctly. This DAC does have a very high voltage output, this could be giving a higher resolution signal?

I am not sure what an active preamp is. The LA4 and the CODA 07x have the almost the same features, except the 07x has dual XLR outputs (very useful).

I have finished building out my office system and the Musetec 005 really anchors the digital part to make what could be a sterile setup (with Benchmark preamp and amps) work perfectly for my ears.

I decided to sell my CODA 07x preamp on Friday and also my KRELL Dou 175XD amp. Both of these are sitting idle and I do not like having idle gear when I could make money with them. So TMRAudio maybe buying them from me next week. Otherwise, anyone want a killer preamp and amp?

I am building out my second system, in the Livingroom, and it will be a second Musetec 005 DAC and a second Benchmark LA4 preamp and (almost certain) the not yet released KRELL KSA i400 stereo amp. All of this to power my dream speaker for the past decade, the KEF Blade 2  (I will buy the Meta).

I have owned the KRELL K-300i integrated and now the KRELL Dou 175XD stereo amp, so I know what I like about this new KRELL.

Just a note about a sale price on the Musetec from Shenzhenaudio.com from August 22 to 26.  $2,969.10.

They run this store-wide sale from time to time.

If anyone is using their Musetec 005 straight in to the amplifier you might want to rethink that based on a recent post at head-fi. Adding a preamp was said to add major improvement in in "dynamics, holographic quality and organicness." True, the preamp is a $17,000 tubed unit, but the principal applies broadly, I think. That the Musetec fits comfortably into such a system is itself interesting.

I also think a preamp is better with the 005. Going direct is also rather dangerous because of the way the volume control buttons work. Try lowering the 005's volume real quick. It is not easy thing to do.

| Despite Daniel Weiss' white paper regarding his digital volume control being as good or better than the best pre-amps, it has been proven to be grossly inaccurate.

Do you mean proven by experimental data or another paper, or does this refer to an uncontrolled case report of a person comparing these in their individual system?

@lordmelton - Still have the flux 50 going straight into the 005. It sounds amazing! Picked up an Acoustic Revive RAS-14 Triple-C inline "filter" (similar to the Flux 50) for the power amp and built a couple 12ga silver power cables... One going to the power amp & the other to the ExactPower transformer. 

All - It amazes me how utterly transparent this DAC is. The above changes have brought the SQ to another level. The soundstage is a little deeper now but the width & separation between instruments rivals my turntable, which is saying something.  

It's very common for a Hi-End pre-amp to reveal shortcomings throughout a system but I've heard the 005 with solid state pre-amps up to $40k and it still keeps performing at the highest level.

Valves can paper over cracks but solid state will reveal everything. Use what sounds best for you.

@boxer12 Good to hear you're getting great results, I'll be getting a couple more funds permitting.

Maybe it's too early to compare but how does the AR stack up against the Furutech?

lordmelton"Valves can paper over cracks but solid state will reveal everything"

This statement is incomplete, deceiving, and reflects a misunderstanding of the nature of the qualities of the various types of amplification. It is possible for valves (tubes) to be "revealing" it is possible for ss to be "revealing" and both tubes and ss amplifiers can be intended, designed, and manufactured to be as neutral as the designer desires or as colored depending on his desires and preference but this is a common misunderstanding, fallacy, and illusion.

I have to agree that this lord melton guy is pretty hard to take, as much as other folks here on this topic seem quite reasonable, friendly and balanced in what they write. Guess there is always one bad apple in every barrel, quite a turn off.

There is room here for everyone to participate and contribute and by doing so some will learn and advance, improve, and refine their music reproduction systems but ignoring,overcoming, and rejecting prejudice about things like valves vs. ss or analog vs. digital is required, necessary, and essential for knowledge acquisition.

@troidelover1499

thanks, glad you found my comparisons useful, it’s fun to do, to find out these things for myself in my own system

i really don’t think most people here are being ’small’ about the 005 as you describe, though a few may be, it’s legitimately an excellent dac both in absolute terms and for the money... if you are upgrading your digital front end to this level of expense, you should definitely consider it

i became curious as some are insistent it is superior to most other more expensive, well-received dacs so i just wanted find out for myself... if that’s true how come the weiss’ totaldac’s holo’s chord’s bricasti’s msb’s emm’s aren’t going b-k? 😂

seriously though, costs in china are much lower, a direct sales model gives a tremendous cost advantage ... so it is not surprising this dac provides excellent dollar value and knocks on the door of what other pricier dacs can do

this is a thread about this particular make of dac, i think it is important to be sensitive to the fact that there are numerous happy owners here, the marketplace has grown very big for dacs given the prevalence and growth of streaming these days, lots lots of choices, and the key is to have music lovers find stuff they really enjoy

... and i will update my system page re the new speakers in due course :)

lordmelton"Valves can paper over cracks but solid state will reveal everything"

This statement is incomplete, deceiving, and reflects a misunderstanding of the nature of the qualities of the various types of amplification. It is possible for valves (tubes) to be "revealing" it is possible for ss to be "revealing" and both tubes and ss amplifiers can be intended, designed, and manufactured to be as neutral as the designer desires or as colored depending on his desires and preference but this is a common misunderstanding, fallacy, and illusion.

I appreciate the comments from lordmelton (And many others here) on this thread.  I assume that he’s reflecting on his own listening experiences and that’s perfectly fine. . I’ll just say that his valve and solid state impressions differ significantly from mine.😊

Charles

+10 on comments from those attesting to valves ability to resolve/transparency with the best.

Over generalizations really have no place here, components with valves are widely variable, one can have romantic or analytical presentations, far too many permutations to make this valid comment. Conditional comments based on experience are appreciated, subjective comments presented as objective fact not.

I will not apologise for not liking valves and you have confirmed my statement that you use valves for tone controls. You know and I know that valve amps are distortion central.

If that's what you like, go with it, but I don't like distortion and I don't like waiting an hour for valves to warm up and I don't like oversampling either.

So in a very highly critical solid state environment the 005 performs like a champ.

Pre-amps from Viola and Spectral are the pinnacles of pre-amp design incorporating high speed modules for ultimate resolution.

BTW I have used valves in the past.

@lordmelton 

You are clearly entitled to express your impressions and opinions just the same as everyone else posting on this open forum. What makes these open audio forums stimulating and often informative is the wide spectrum of different experiences express by members. Tube versus the transistor is about as common a topic as any you’ll find in audio discussions. 

You have contributed numerous interesting viewpoints and perspectives which I suspect many appreciate. You do seem to become rather thin skinned and defensive (My perception anyway) with those who have opposing comments. High End audio is about as subjective as an endeavor could possibly be.

You have owned valves/tubes but find that your preference is solid state, that’s good for you. I’ve owned solid state components yet I find tubes the superior choice for me. Tubes have coloration and distortion to varying degrees. Most certainly the same can be said about transistor sound. We all at some point decide which one we find least compromising for our own needs. 

I am familiar with Spectral products and my listening impressions are different than yours. No big deal. You probably find solid state more “accurate “ than tubes, that’s your call. I find tubes more “natural “ and realistic “.  What is so ultimately satisfying is that we both can get exactly what we want.

Charles 

Tubes have coloration and distortion to varying degrees. Most certainly the same can be said about transistor sound ...  I find tubes more “natural “ and realistic “

Same here. The best of today's vacuum tube gear is very neutral - it's not at all like the lush, warm, "tubey" sound of days gone by. For example, compare a modern ARC Ref 5 or Ref 6 to an ARC SP-3 or SP-6.

I wish that were not the case, because tubes are an inherent maintenance item. But I haven't found anything to equal ARC gear in my system.

@lordmelton asked:

"Maybe it’s too early to compare but how does the AR stack up against the Furutech?"

I have to put more time on the Acoustic Revive RAS-14 Triple-C to answer the question. They both however make a positive difference & they are both good. IMO Furutech’s approach was to clean up the ground where AR’s isn’t. The reason I say that is when running the Furutech into the power amp I couldn’t use my ground filter with it without dulling the SQ a bit. That is not at all the case with the AR. In fact it sounds best in combination with my ground filter. That is "first impressions" however & I'll report back after getting more time with it. 

I have wound up with a tube system, but for the Musetec,  Although with its twin JFET analog circuit it probably sounds as much like tubes as a transistor circuit can. 

Just by chance, rather than by theory, I have found value in the tube components I have.  I came to tubes rather slowly.  I do think though that it's good to have tubes somewhere in a system and the preamplifier is perfectly positioned to be the place.  Moreover preamps use small tubes which are inherently more stable than power tubes.  That makes owning a tube preamplifier not much of a burden.

Post removed 

Have you noticed that topping is churning out DACs over DACs designed to respond superbly to poor amir's classic tests? then you go to listen to them and all this magic measured in amir's fantastic tests disappears and gives way to a disconcerting flatness. it is now well established that either one or the other is carrying out an act that is not at all ethical.

I had the opportunity to listen and compare the dx7pro + with the Musetech in my system and, as expected, there is no story ...

used to the sound of my MH-DA005 switching to the new Topping was like switching from the light of a clear and sunny day to the light of a dark and cloudy day!

in the ranking of the poor amir stilled together with his lucky followers, the topping dx7 + is in first place (124 dB SINAD) while the MUSETECH is in over 250th place (96 dB SINAD)

So what it your hypothesis here- that a lower signal to noise ratio yields a more "musical" sound? That deviations from linearity produce a more three-dimensional soundstage? Topping probably uses a lot of negative feedback in their analog output stage, which can sometimes result in a "flatter" presentation if the "euphonic" lower order distortions are preferentially suppressed. I don't understand the point of celebrating poor measurements as some sort of badge of honor. 

Last night I put my Topping D90LE (their top DAC minus MQA) in with my RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp. The Musetec 005 is not good with the VM-1a. The Topping D90LE was fantastic with the VM-1a. I think it was even better than the Benchmark DA3B on the VM-1a. There is a tiny bit of hardness on the DAC3B and VM-1a which seems to go away with the Topping. I was using the Topping in the DAC's 'tube'  filter mode.

I also bought a second Musetec 005 and have it in storage for my future Livingroom 2-channel system. 

My Topping D90 (original with AKM chip) sounds fantastic receiving upsampled DSD256 data from HQ player. It also sounds really good receiving upsampled 768hz data, which I believe disables the internal filter of the DAC.

. I don’t understand the point of celebrating poor measurements as some sort of badge of honor.

I don’t get that impression. He actually (And wisely) compared the two DACs and said the Musetec 005 clearly was better sounding than the Topping DAC. These are audio products so listening to them is the best way to determine which one of them you’d prefer to own in your audio system.

Other listeners have described the Topping DAC sound quality in the same manner as @americanspirit . Others have enjoyed their sound. Nothing new here with the subjectivity and inevitable different outcomes/opinions.

Charles

True. This one bugs me because it does not appear to be a purposeful design strategy, such as when Nelson Pass or Ralph Karsten add a little more second order distortion, describe their rationale, and could re-design the component any way they want. Here, the designer admitted not having the requisite equipment to test the DAC or full awareness of the IMD issue with the ESS chip as a start. Associations that are supported by plausibility are more likely to be valid than those that are less plausible. I'm not calling for blinded listening tests all the time, but in this case would personally need to see objective listening tests or do them myself before believing that a component with accidental errors in measurement sounds better than one without these errors. 

but in this case would personally need to see objective listening tests or do them myself before believing that a component with accidental errors in measurement sounds better than one without these errors. 

Yes, listen for yourself and form your own conclusions. Whichever one you choose at least the decision is based on how it sounds in your audio system. Measured test bench results are less important than what you will hear with your own ears. How does this DAC sound playing your music in your audio system? Most important criteria.

Charles

@batvac2 
No one is saying that they are pleased that a component doesn't measure well.  What a good number of people here have said is that standard measurements tell you very little about how a component will sound.  The only thing that matters is how it actually sounds.  Nothing else matters.  Period.  End of story.

This is such an old theme in audio that it seems trivial to keep repeating.  Cheap Japanese direct drive turntables measured better by standard measurements than did expensive belt drives.  And with the help of the audio press then, tons of them were sold, and they sounded awful.  Early solid state "measured" better than time-tested tubed electronics and the audio press of the day helped sell tons of these too.  They sounded awful too.  And even today, solid state measures better than tubes; digital measures better than analog, and on and on.  We have NEVER developed measurements that tell us accurately what we want to know about a high end audio component and that is: how does it sound?  IMO the most useful measurements made these days are for loudspeakers.  Yet no speaker measurement yet devised can tell me what I really want to know about a speaker and that is: will it disappear?  Yes, for all of these components we have to listen!  

At the time of the measurement discussion I wrote this.  There are some things worth emphasizing.  Per the designer of the Musetec it is relatively easy for any trained electrical engineer to produce a DAC that measures very well.  China has a lot of trained engineers, many more than we have.  In choosing parts for his DACs he listens and chooses those that add to SQ as he hears it even if they cost in measurement stats.  That's it.  The very many here who have heard and admire the Musetec have come to agree that he has a refined musical sensitivity.  Now that may be hard to come by, in China or anywhere.  But as an engineer, a real engineer, he can produce this very musical component at a relatively low price relative to other very fine sounding DACs.  That's what good engineers do.  But you say that this approach "bugs" you.  As I say in the post referred to, if you find that disturbing then perhaps this DAC is not for you.  

You say your $900 Topping sounds fantastic.  And we all know that Toppings measure well over at ASR.  Then I have to wonder what brings you here.  Giving what you write, you seem to be wasting this time writing when you can be enjoying your Topping.  You haven't though told us to what other DAC you have compared your Topping, nor anything about the system it feeds into.  So we have no context at all for your "fantastic" description.  But you go on to write that you'd evidently like to do a listening test yourself to see if what has been described, designing for sound alone, is really possible.  So perhaps you really don't believe that the Topping is the best of all possibilities for you.   So you can relieve your anxieties by trying out a better DAC.  Musetecs have done pretty well on the used market for there are so few of them there.  So you wouldn't really be risking all that much by trying.  Wait for one of the Shenzhenaudio sales.

@melm 

In choosing parts for his DACs he listens and chooses those that add to SQ as he hears it even if they cost in measurement stats.

The only decision to make “if”  obtaining the best possible sound quality with a given design/product is the true objective.

Charles

| you seem to be wasting this time writing when you could be listening…

That was a very long post - you could have been listening to your musetec… I compared the topping d90 to my previous DAC - an Eximus DP1 - and liked the d90 more. It is going into an integrated tube amp. Of course other dac designs may sound different. Like most people I don’t have endless time to compare dacs - when the time comes, I will pick from different designs that have been reported to sound great and measure well, such as Holo, T and A, Weiss, and Meitner. And no - early solid state did NOT measure well. I don’t view the measurements of the musetec as the cause of how the unit sounds but more as a general indication of the engineering involved. 

"I don’t view the measurements of the musetec as the cause of how the unit sounds but more as a general indication of the engineering involved."

The engineer admits to choosing parts based on SQ, not measurements.  

The engineer admits to choosing parts based on SQ, not measurements.  

Yes, so simply and openly acknowledged by the builder. Why so difficult for some to comprehend?

Charles

@batvac2
You named some DACs you might be interested in. I suggest you audition any of them and then let us know then if "fantastic" still applies to the Topping that will probably measure better than most of them. Topping DACs seem to be designed with ASR in mind. The Musetec SQ has been compared with two of them here and, while one may be preferred over the other in a particular system, they are said to be of comparable quality. The Musetec SQ has also been compared favorably, here and elsewhere, to that of the Mola Mola Tambaqui and also to the Chord Hugo 2 with the M Scaler.

The difference, though, is that while the SQ of all of these has been said to be at least comparable, the Musetec costs but a fraction of what the others cost. Where I come from, THAT is what is called fine engineering.

PS: In the early solid state days popular tube amps had about 2% IM and HD at rated outputs; solid state under 1%. Do some research and you’ll find it.

the more I read the Topping enthusiasts the more I wonder what system they use and if they have compared their products with other brands.

what I want to bring to the attention of true Hi Fi fans is that most likely some Chinese manufacturers (Topping, SMSL, Gusrtard, ...) produce DACs that respond perfectly to poor Amir's tests but are scarce in everyday listening.

to obviate my statement just test the top of the poor Amir's list with the MUSETEC, obviously you need a system that allows you to appreciate the differences ... (who has a Topping in his audio chain is probably a person who only pays attention savings so I don't expect it to have a high-end system alas ...)

Post removed 

@americanspirit

from one point of view, all this asr stuff is fine

not everyone cares about sonic excellence and are willing to pay for it, but people still want to feel good about themselves, their decisions... this asr stuff provides handy rationalization, especially for those who have a quantitative/science-oriented bent (never mind that what asr delves into is more ’pseudo-science’ actually but we will leave that be...)

i think it is fine because these people spend what little they want, feel good about it, and presumably enjoy the music - this can be looked at as an entry path into broader musical enjoyment, better quality of life as a result, which is positive

then if there is a subset of these folks who are more passionate, more discriminating, and over time, put forth the thought, effort and expense to test the ’wisdom’ that asr espouses, those folks will then undoubtedly discover its limitations and obtain much better sounding music to enjoy

silly analogy, i sometimes enjoy a little wine with dinner, but i am not a wine connoisseur, don’t care to be -- so i buy relatively inexpensive $10-20/bottles of wine marketed by some popular websites, with their claims about point-ratings, reviewer blurbs, i then enjoy that wine with everyday meals - i don’t care enough to be an expert, don’t want to invest the effort to deep dive into the topic, don't want to pay more, don't care to appreciate some minute differences, it’s just average/above average wine to sip, to accompany the good food which i consider the real centerpiece of meals - life for me goes on just fine...

@jjss49 

you seem a very calm and contemplative person, I agree with most of your statements, what I don't like is one thing.

I cannot bear the claims of superiority of pseudo science over human senses.

the adepts of poor Amir (who obviously read these posts) consider humans who rely on the senses as deficient, and they consider superior people (not intellectually prepared) who rely on ad hoc measures that have nothing to do with full modeling of reality.

in the engineering field, the analysis of the variables involved in sound reproduction is very similar to those that occur in fluid dynamics in the presence of tubulence (n differential equations, n + x unknowns)

only the ignorant can only think of being able to approach the explanation of the phenomenon with four elementary equations understandable even to chickens ...

@jjss49 Whenever I go wine tasting in the Bay Area (Napa + Sonoma) I always ask for a straw.

.. (who has a Topping in his audio chain is probably a person who only pays attention savings so I don't expect it to have a high-end system alas ...)

I have a Topping D90LE in one of my systems and it produces a sound that bring me happiness. It was not about cost but more about synergy for this pairing.  Schitt Jotenhueim | Topping D90LE | RAAL CA-1a + SR1a 

I cannot bear the claims of superiority of pseudo science over human senses.

agreed that part is distasteful, but why harp on it?

you can see via amir’s system, he is not an audiophile, he is a clever tech dude monetizing a niche, a circle of like minded folks with like minded blind spots - he can be a robin hood in his own mind with eager followers...lots of advice givers in the world with weak legs they stand on

we are much more passionate about this pursuit, in our way, different from his, it should be water off a duck’s back, so to speak

this isn’t to say that what becomes ’recommended’ by amir is necessarily bad... we all know that any piece of equipment fits into a chain, that chain has a certain level of musicality and resolving power, and of course, synergy matters ... much of it is just fine, just like my $15 zin serves its purpose for me well...

interesting, just stumbled into this from john darko

| Chinese manufacturers produce DACs that respond perfectly to poor Amir's tests

By "Amir's tests", are you referring to fundamental tests of linearity, noise, and distortion that are staples of audio engineering? Do you think Mola Mola and Holo specifically produce DACs that "respond to Amir's tests" (they measured great)?

| In the engineering field, the analysis of the variables involved in sound reproduction is very similar to those that occur in the presence of tubulence

Are you trying to argue that perceived sound quality represents a complex interaction among many variables. Fine. In this case, a couple of those variables were found to be dysfunctional in single variable testing, Why combine them?

| Who has Topping in his audio chain is probably a person who only pays attention savings so I don't expect it to have a high-end system alas ...

Mine takes upsampled DSD256 from HQ player into an Ars Sonum integrated tube amp and Merlin speakers. I recognize this is not the highest end gear. Alas...

@batvac2 

I wrote "some Chinese producers" and I mentioned "Topping, SMSL and Gustard" I didn't talk about brands that produce serious DACs, which in fact are not reviewed by poor Amir, just in order not to generalize about Chinese production.

the brands I mentioned have superb measurements in relation to a sound result not comparable (in default) with devices that have worse measurements.

this happens because the measurements made are based exclusively on a few and insufficient parameters able to describe the physical phenomenon. these manufacturers know this and take advantage of it by building and designing their own devices just to respond to these measures.

they don't care about the sound result, they noticed a big jump in sales following the publication of the results of the measurements, and that's enough to continue along this path that is not at all ethical.

I repeat that it is very easy to compare the sound performance of these low-cost DACs compared to the more "famous" DACs, just listen to them on high-level systems. anyone can pick out the differences, you don't need sensitive ears like a calibration microphone ... the two free pavilions offered by mother nature are enough!