Considering Towers in the $3000 range

I am strongly considering a purchase. I am considering the following in no particular order in a large room with high ceilings which I would be driving with a Cary Audio SL-100:

Wharfedale EVO 4.4

Dali Oberon 9

ELAC Carina FS247.4

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G

Looking for opinion based on experience. My listening preferences are eclectic.

Thanks in advance for responses.

somebike

Thanks @will3.  I am not familiar with that track, but have listened to some Abdullah Ibrahim.  I plan to check it out later today.

Glad you see the potential in the Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G speakers. And  thanks for the suggestion of "Night in Tunisia". Have you heard the "Calypso Minor" from the "Sotho Blue" album of Abdullah Ibrahim yet? Should be played through your 500 7G set ASAP...

Tekton Double Impact, read the reviews on YouTube 

Best by far in that price range IMHO

+1 for the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower speakers. I’ve been using the bookshelf version Sierra 2 EX, and they are hard to beat, expecially for the price, but the towers take it to another level. Not quite up to the Revel Salon 2 speakers in my family room, but for the price, they are wonderful.  And I believe you can get a 30 day trial with them, too. 

Good choice to try, and good luck. Give them at least a couple of hundred hours to break in. Thanks for the tip on Bush Dance. Great Music. Check out Lee Ritenour's Six String Theory cd on those speakers.

Tekton Double Impacts do well in my system with a variety of music. They sound good at low and high volume levels. The speakers are big…yet, disappear. After owning them since 2018, I feel no need to replace them. They significantly reflect any change in components.

Good luck with the MA silver! I have some MA bronze for my home theatre, but decided against HT and now the pair is split! One pair just doing stereo in my living room with the TV and a pair in the home office. Great brand!!!

Check out the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers.

Bamboo cabinets, RAAL ribbon tweeter, and SEAS drivers (I think)

An awful lot of speaker for the money.

Why not pick up a pair of Infinity Kappa 9’s or 

9.2’s. Still to this day they are some of the better sounding speakers in that price range. 

@somebike Congrats on the new speaks! I'll be surprised if you don't like them, a lot. Since you like jazz, check out the Jazz At The Pawnshop recordings. Recording quality is excellent. 

I would look into the Soliloquy line - 6.2 or 6.3.  Best match for a forward sounding SS power amplifier like Bryston.

I appreciate all the great suggestions and have enjoyed researching each one of them.  The Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G's arrived today and I was able to get them set up for a listening session with my buddy tonight.  I have 60 days to decide whether to keep them.  I have consistently heard that they strongly benefit from break in which should take 50-70 hours.  That said, they were surprisingly good out the box and my friend commented on how effortlessly they filled the room.  I am looking forward to spending more time with them.  For what it's worth, we spent about an hour with a variety of rock music followed by an hour of jazz.  Speaking of which, if you enjoy jazz and have never listened to a A Night In Tunisia from Johnny Grffin's Bush Dance, I highly recommend it.

I was looking at Fyne F501 and F502 before but ended up with stand mounts instead. I was close to buying one, they were great small towers.

Just make sure you demo what you are considering. Never buy blind! It never works out! I mean unless you have the cash then go for it, but if you don't like them you'll have to sell them, and if you don't have the cash flow, you'll be stuck with them for a while until you upgrade.

I was a big Klipsch fan. I agree high sensitivity speakers do dynamics far better than any other speakers, period. But their drivers aren't all that sturdy and great, just look on YouTube at all the people who buy them and end up adding internal bracing in the cabinets, and dampening the cheap thin metal drivers. 

Dynaudio speakers are nice, but they require so, so much power to make them sing, that's just not my cup of tea. And Totem, Eh, maybe for a bedroom, but they suck at hard rock, and rock and home theater forget it.

This is so subjective. For me, I think Sonus Faber are pretty sweet. 

I heard a lot of good things about Salk, but it's online purchase only, albeit I think you get a 45 or 60 day in home trial, I think. If you don't, I wouldn't bother with them. 

I would put Klipsch, Totem and Dynaudio on the list, from my experienced based high opinion

Hey. Did you decide on a speaker?

I just heard the Wharfedale EVO 4.4: Nice. Mellow sound. The sales guy hooked it up to a Rogue Cronus Magnum III integrated amp. Very nice paring, great synergy.

The Monitor Audio speakers are bright to me. Don't like them.

If you didn't decide and are still looking, check out Sonus Faber Lumina III or V. They are a 'little' forward sounding, but not in your face and certainly not fatiguing. The midrange is the star of the show. You got to hear it for yourself because words will not do it justice. There is also the KLH Model 5. A warmish sounding speaker. It's a toss up for me between the Sonus Faber or the KLH, but I am probably going with the SF, they play nice at low volume too.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G vs Sonus Faber Lumina V!

If you're headed to AudioAdvice, they have many tower speakers that will fit your budget.  I'd just spend the day listening to all the offerings they have.  You might even find something you really like that wasn't even suggested here.  Have fun exploring!

Owned the Elac 247.2 that are soundstage gems because of their Jet tweeters and made in Germany quality and piano finish. Just fill the living room with lovely sound and music. Owned both MS Gold 50 & 100’s that their quality speaks to the brand quality. They like power to drive them, with the Rotel power amp 200W making the 100’s dance and sing. I miss the Elac’s except the piano black was a bit nuisance to keep clean.

I have the NSMT Jamaica 50 and love them. Completely disappear. For reference, have also had acoustic zen adagios and Lawrence audio mandolins but these are the “best” (always relative) speakers I have heard.  

I guess I'll find out if the midrange is recessed, but it is not the impression I get from reading reviews.  The Stereophile guy surely loved and said "The Monitor Audio Silver 500 embodies a spirit of purity, which I'm inclined to believe is primarily due to the speaker's crossover. The whole wide frequency range of music sounds well-behaved, smooth, and of a piece. Notes seem to emanate from air, not from wooden boxes. The notes slide and shoot like stars."  Manufacturer says 50-70 hours break in and so, it may take time before I can give a well informed opinion.

I have a pair of ohm-walsh 3’’s I bought used about 2 years ago, seller had recently bought new cans/drivers for them. After a call to John at Ohm I went for the deal, seller drove over an hour to deliver. also got a pair of OW 2’s all for a grand, and how grand it’s been.

I had gone through several JBL then Klipsch towers in the previous year and the flat/front-facing projection didn’t work for me.

the soundstage from the 3’s alone is enough to sell me on Ohms again as an upgrade whenever I get my VA claim settled and the backpay burns a hole in my better judgment.

Miles Davis and John Coltrane live in Copenhagen 1960 sounds to me like I’m about three rows back st the show.

@somebike sounds good, pun not intended. My living room is about like yours and I have to put my speakers on the shorter wall. I added a rug to the hardwood floor and have canvas paintings on one wall and a window with curtains on the other. Acoustics are pretty good. The ceiling is old school popcorn which I think actually helps in reducing reflections. I have to do room treatment "stealth" due to WAF.

Be sure to give the nice MA 500 7G’s a good listen. Some have said the midrange is a little recessed, but then that may play into your tastes. Lumina V also look incredible in fit and finish.

Let us know what you end up going with and why.

@moonwatcher The speakers would be on the shorter wall and I am about 12' back in my listening position.  I have been pretty happy with the room acoustics.

Timely post @will3.  I am going to audition the Monitor Audio 500 7G's.  My gut has leaned that way.  For what it's worth, I think the the Sonus Faber Lumina V would be next if the Monitor Audio 500 7G's are not to my liking.

Monitor Audio 500 x 3. They do need some break in time as recommended by the manufacturer.

Post removed 

@somebike good that you have a real world experience then with some 87dB efficient speakers to know they will play loud "enough" for you.  I know specs are specs but often it seems subjectively that "tube watts" are weightier than "solid state watts".  As you have noted, there are lots of recommendations here. Those Dali Oberon 9 look impressive (downright pretty). Others who have them swear by the Tektons if you are willing to wait 6 months for delivery and never get any grilles until you are one step in the grave...(just kidding, sort of). The Tektons may be well worth the wait after some break-in. 

Oh, in your room, will the speakers be on the 12' wall or the 22' wall and how far away from them is your listening position? Hope you find something you will like and can live with for a long time. 

@moonwatcher The room is 22 x 12 x 9.  For what it's worth, my speakers in my secondary system have a sensitivity rating of 87 dB and I recently brought them to main listening room and the amp can drive it with plenty of volume to spare.

I just did a bit more research on your Cary Audio setup and most likely the Polk R700 might not be the best match. Most reviewers have recommended higher wattage amps for those. They just aren't very efficient. So in the end while you have an excellent front end, you might do better with some more efficient speakers, especially for your large room. Good luck in your search.

@somebike how big is your room? We are all making recommendations based on you wanting floorstanders, but then, some audiophiles of late say you can get more bang for your buck (better imaging if that is important to you) by going with bookshelf speakers and 1 or 2 subwoofers strategically located.  Of course that depends on how big the room is and how dynamic and how loud any bookies would play for you.  Good luck! 

Yes, the the truth is how it sounds to me.  Research, reviews and this forum is just a starting place to start with an audition that I perceive has the best chance of being a keeper.  Of course, nothing can beat an in home audition to see how it works in your room with your electronics.

@dayglow wrote: " Be careful regarding any online reviewer as the voice of truth. You need to do whatever it takes to research/listen and inspect any audio component you intend to purchase. "

Indeed, but other reviewers have said as much. In any event, hearing something for yourself is always key, and not buying blind on the Internet. That advice should go to the OP as well, and everyone really if at all possible. Sadly today, too many have to buy "blind" because retail audio stores have mostly gone away, not like the glory days of the 1970s. And certain direct to consumer brands have no place you can audition them (Zu, Spatial Audio, and Tekton).

Fortunately, I have an Audio Advice location relatively close-by and can audition the R700 up against others. The key is also, if you can, get a 30-day trial period and try them in your own home, in your room, and then decide.

I want to compare the R700 against the Forte IV, and some Monitor Audio. But I know if the reviewers are honest, I’d like the more neutral sounding R700 over the slightly forward Forte (which are not as forward as others in the Heritage line) and the midrange recessed Monitor Audio. I do like that light ash finish of the Monitor Audio though, but sound quality trumps looks in the long run, if you have a forgiving spouse.

@moonwatcher    Be careful regarding any online reviewer as the voice of truth. You need to do whatever it takes to research/listen and inspect any audio component you intend to purchase. 

I appreciate all the feedback.  I knew there would be a lot of opinions and I have at least looked at every suggestion in this thread.  I have not decided, but I am leaning in one direction.  I will post when I pull the trigger on an audition and of course, my thoughts on the speakers.

I agree that if you can stretch to $4300, I agree the Spendor A4 would be my choice. They can be placed in small to larger rooms, they are fairly easy to drive and once broken in, are a great all-arounder that has very good bass and offers a very balanced sound. Breaking them in will take some time, but once they settle in, they can play soft yet stay dynamic. They also play nice with a variety of gear, both tube or solid state. I have a pair on order.

Sonus Faber has a speaker in that price range that is worth a listen. I heard the JBL’s at a show and they sounded great. Also maybe listen to the Klipsch Forte. 
I ended up with Cornwall IV,s and they are pretty great. I heard Forte’s and they are also impressive. Unfortunately, I have never heard Tekton’s although I would love to some day. Supposedly the Polk R700 is big bang for the buck at 2k. 

Post removed 

Save yourself over a grand and at least think about the Polk Audio Reserve R700. They are currently on special for $825 each (down from $1100 each retail), free shipping, 30-day trial from Audio Advice, B&H, Crutchfield, and others.

Andrew Robinson's review made plain they are sonically very, very good, and neutral sounding. They go down to 38Hz so yeah, you'd want to budget for a good subwoofer to get that last octave.  

Other speakers might beat them on looks (they are vinyl wrapped to help meet that price point) but dang, Andrew compared them to $10K Wharfedale Elysians and said that no, the Polks weren't embarrassed at all. 

See his review on YouTube.  You could then take the extra grand or so and put it towards a better DAC, streamer, phono amp, or your liquor cabinet. 

The KEF R5 and Eminent Technology LFT-8b were mentioned. Both can be solid performers at the $3k(new) price point but have some serious caveats. The LFT-8 needs serious power due to an extremely low sensitivity level, then add the room placement and appearance factors. The KEF R5 needs higher level electronics to be competitive with other $3k class leading speakers. Also the built quality of the Chinese made KEF R series could be a deal breaker for some. There are many variables to consider when purchasing loudspeakers.

Post removed 

KEF R5. Great all around speaker with plenty of bass. The dealer told me about the extra foam pieces that can optionally be inserted to reduce the bass!  

I put them on top of platforms (because of a suspended hardwood floor) to remove internal vibrations that clarifies and focuses even further. The deal I got was too good to pass up (R500s, the R5 precursor). I think they can still be had new as leftovers out there and they are a steal under $2K. Not sure how much better you can get for $3K.

I like to audition them, which limits the list to what local dealers sell. Plus moving them around is a pain for auditioning in the home. The best you can do is compare them to other speakers with the same source and electronics.

I just got a pair of the Walsh Tall 2000s and agree they sound great. The unique 360 degree aspect with super tweeters pointed at the rooms center enable everyone in the room to high quality audio. Also placement is easy and near walls is not a problem. Also reccomended is any used Joseph Audio Tower, such as a 25XL Signature, you could get those used for under $2K.

Eminent Technology LFT-8b. Feel free to ignore the best value in a hi-fi loudspeaker; everyone else does.

I have the Monitor Audio Silver 500's and really like them. Check out the 7Gs as others have suggested.