Considering Towers in the $3000 range

I am strongly considering a purchase. I am considering the following in no particular order in a large room with high ceilings which I would be driving with a Cary Audio SL-100:

Wharfedale EVO 4.4

Dali Oberon 9

ELAC Carina FS247.4

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G

Looking for opinion based on experience. My listening preferences are eclectic.

Thanks in advance for responses.

somebike

Showing 10 responses by somebike

Timely post @will3.  I am going to audition the Monitor Audio 500 7G's.  My gut has leaned that way.  For what it's worth, I think the the Sonus Faber Lumina V would be next if the Monitor Audio 500 7G's are not to my liking.

@moonwatcher The speakers would be on the shorter wall and I am about 12' back in my listening position.  I have been pretty happy with the room acoustics.

@coralkong Yes, my listening preferences are eclectic means that I want a versatile speaker that will sound great with a wide variety of music.

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I am leaning towards buying new so that I can have the benefit of an in home audition.  There is so much individual taste in speakers as this thread already demonstrates that I want to make sure whatever I get is something truly suits me.

I appreciate all the feedback.  I knew there would be a lot of opinions and I have at least looked at every suggestion in this thread.  I have not decided, but I am leaning in one direction.  I will post when I pull the trigger on an audition and of course, my thoughts on the speakers.

Yes, the the truth is how it sounds to me.  Research, reviews and this forum is just a starting place to start with an audition that I perceive has the best chance of being a keeper.  Of course, nothing can beat an in home audition to see how it works in your room with your electronics.

@moonwatcher The room is 22 x 12 x 9.  For what it's worth, my speakers in my secondary system have a sensitivity rating of 87 dB and I recently brought them to main listening room and the amp can drive it with plenty of volume to spare.

I guess I'll find out if the midrange is recessed, but it is not the impression I get from reading reviews.  The Stereophile guy surely loved and said "The Monitor Audio Silver 500 embodies a spirit of purity, which I'm inclined to believe is primarily due to the speaker's crossover. The whole wide frequency range of music sounds well-behaved, smooth, and of a piece. Notes seem to emanate from air, not from wooden boxes. The notes slide and shoot like stars."  Manufacturer says 50-70 hours break in and so, it may take time before I can give a well informed opinion.

I appreciate all the great suggestions and have enjoyed researching each one of them.  The Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G's arrived today and I was able to get them set up for a listening session with my buddy tonight.  I have 60 days to decide whether to keep them.  I have consistently heard that they strongly benefit from break in which should take 50-70 hours.  That said, they were surprisingly good out the box and my friend commented on how effortlessly they filled the room.  I am looking forward to spending more time with them.  For what it's worth, we spent about an hour with a variety of rock music followed by an hour of jazz.  Speaking of which, if you enjoy jazz and have never listened to a A Night In Tunisia from Johnny Grffin's Bush Dance, I highly recommend it.

Thanks @will3.  I am not familiar with that track, but have listened to some Abdullah Ibrahim.  I plan to check it out later today.