Aurender n200, talk me out of signing on the dotted line

I’ve requested an invoice.  My current system has an Audio Mirror 4 with Tele E88cc, Pass int-25, Acoustic Zen Crescendo 2 speakers and a REL 12” sub.   The sound is to my taste in that it is organic, swings with the music and is not lean.  It’s a bit grainy and I attribute that to the Lumin u2 mini, internet radio and Spotify sources in who-knows-what amounts.  Enjoyable none-the-less as is, I am all in for the Aurender.  Talk me out of it.  Please!  

wlutke

WOW ... $6300 ... certainly think other areas of your system could benefit from another $6300 ...

@fastfreight Aurender finally announced that Roon Ready capabilities are now in the beta versions of Conductor, at least for partners/dealers, but perhaps all beta testers. As a reminder, Aurender cannot be run as the core. Roon Ready mode will be a free upgrade available for all Intel-based "N-Series" (N150, N200, N20, N30SA) and "ACS-Series" (ACS100, ACS10) models. 

From Aurender: The "A-Series" models (A200, A15, A20, A30) are currently undergoing Roon certification. Due to the complexity of the certification process, we find it challenging to provide a precise timeline but we will share updates as soon as we have more clarity. Stay tuned!

Previous generation, AMD-based models, including: S10, N10, W20, W20SE, X100, X100L, A10, A100, N100H, N100C, N100SC will not be compatible with Roon Ready mode.

@wlutke The N200 presents sonics in a very linear, neutral way with lots of snap and dynamics. As a dealer that has had one on my floor for years, I have not heard it be grainy, but you also do get considerably more tonal richness and organic presentation in stepping up to the N20. That said, I believe the N200 is one of the best value propositions in the Aurender line, as with the rest of high end audio, diminishing returns are evident the higher up you go.

My suggestion would be to work with a dealer that can offer you an upgrade program, such that they will take the unit back in trade if after some time you want to jump up to the N20.

One other suggestion, having had a lot of experience with many of the components in your system, is to try different tubes in your Audio Mirror DAC. NOS Telefunken, despite their high reputation, deliver a hotter, more overdriven sound (not really overdriven, but very textured and gritty at times), that many people crave. The Audio Mirror itself is a very neutral DAC (Vlad is a close friend of mine and lives fairly close by), so perhaps try some 6922 variants that have a sweeter tone.

@blisshifi 

Thanks for update on Roon certification. I honestly don’t care for Aurender’s compatibility with Roon. If I did care for Roon, I would have bought Taiko Extreme by now! 

As someone else has mentioned -- you're thinking of spending thousands on a new streamer and you're using internet radio and Spotify as your sources?

Qobuz starts at $11 a month and everything is CD quality or better - tons of hi-rez material. Tidal starts at the same price (but charges a bit more for the hi-rez plan.) 

If you're nervous about spending over $6K on a new streamer, why don't you first try out one of the better streaming services and see what that does for your sound quality.  Just a thought....

Well that nice steamer should be able to get the max out of Spotify and Internet Radio.   There are sone Cd res and higher internet radio sources out there worth trying.  

@wlutke Few things based on my experience -

1. if you don’t have a good USB cable yet, the one included by Aurender in the box with the N200 is actually not terrible at all. I’ve used it before I upgraded to the AQ Diamond.

2. If your unit is brand new, what I did to break mine in is create a playlist consisting of songs representing every bitrate available on Qobuz and Tidal and played that on repeat when not listening. It took slightly over 200hrs to settle overall. 

3. Upgrade the power cord - it makes a significant difference. I started with AQ Tornado then moved on to Nordost Heimdall 2 and eventually to Nordost Frey 2. Not saying you need Nordost…just try a few good power cables and you’ll see what works best. Break in first though. 

Enjoy and keep us posted. 

@blisshifi Juan thanks for this update! I still have my Roon subscription and will definitely try it out. Any idea on how to get on a beta tester list?

Post removed 

@audphile1 

Good to hear the supplied usb cable is decent.  I plan on trying spdif and usb - my preference is musicality over technical superiority.  Extended FR, focus and definition mean nothing to me if it sacrifices foot tapping.  I have and have used Nordost interconnects and found Tyr2 to be OMG better than Frey2, but wow, the OMG cost.

@lalitk 

Thanks for the encouragement.  

Everyone else: 

Thanks for the encouragement, suggestions, observations and opinions.  It has been a whirlwind.

@wlutke

That was my experience as well. The magic doesn’t happen until you step up to Tyr2 level in Nordost lineup. Fortunately, at Tyr2 price, there are so many options to consider, I end up going with Audience Au24SE at that point in time. 

I am in much better place now with Combak’s Hijiri cables. This is one of the upgrades that would stay in my system for a very long time!

@wlutke 

Do you use HiFishark to monitor the market and past sales?  You don't know for sure what things sell for but you see what they were last listed at.  There were two on USAM a couple weeks ago for $4600 & $4000.  Hopefully your discount is in that ballpark.  It's good to know the market well so you can unload something for a reasonable loss/gain if it doesn't impress.  Good luck!

I compared DH Labs D750 spdif to Aurender USB and preferred USB. And the DH cable is a really well made and good sounding digital interconnect. To me USB sounds better but definitely try both. 

@audphile1 

delete the V4 app and download it again from App Store. The initial setup should prompt you for option to sign up as beta user. Unless Aurender took that option away, that’s how I recalled to be their beta user for the app. 

@audphile1 and @tvad it looks like you have to be an Aurender dealer or industry partner to enable Roon at the moment, and it requires submitting a support ticket with validating info. So this is still not available to all beta testers yet!

@lalitk did all that a while back. Registered. It’s fine thanks though. I thought I would miss Roon more than I do…not a big deal. 

Post removed 

I love my N200... it has only had one issue and they took care of it remotely .  It sounds great and is built like a tank.  

I got a deal I couldn't pass up, I was looking at streamers half the price..   I leveraged a trade on a preamp I was trying to sell plus $800 out of pocket so for.me it was a no brainer 

Support is excellent,  you can be involved in Beta software or opt out .   

Build quality?   Pick any Aurender up or look under the hood.  Built better than many components out there.   High quality across the range , all built to the same standard. 

You can upgrade the U2 Mini power supply for a very high quality one with c. $500

Came late to this thread, but I purchased an N200 over the past year and have never looked back. I hesitate to say it is the last streamer I ever need to buy with my modest system (Meitner, Enleum, Nordost, ProAc), but I’ve found no flaws and am still amazed when I get to sit down and listen after a few days away.

I’m sure you’ll be very happy with your purchase.

I'm very happy with my A30 [2021] and W20SE [2022] in our systems.  We use Qobuz and the Hard Drives.   The Conductor interfaces with my iPhone and iPad are very good, not as easy as JRiver but still good.

@tvad I am using Conductor 4.10.8 on my N30SA. I have not yet submitted a request to upgrade it to Roon Ready and will try to do so this coming week. Per Aurender’s email to me, it requires 4.10 to work. 

Post removed 

@tvad As I mentioned, it’s not available to all beta testers. In the email I received, there are instructions on how to request for the support team to install it on my floor units. They have to manually remote in and update the firmware. I will be submitting a request on Monday, though it may take a few days for them to complete based on their queue. 

Owned two Aurender products, great products, great company. It will be interesting to see how they integrate roon. Make sure you like the conductor app before you commit. The innous sense app is superior and sounds better (IMO). Both great options.

I've had 6 different brands of streamer including an Aurender and sold them all because of the app. Aurender SQ was excellent but I had nothing but trouble with the Conductor app and customer service from Aurender was none existent. Reluctantly I decided to try Roon and bought a used Antipodes DX3. Roon is easily the best way of cataloging a music library, not perfect but the best currently available. I've since upgraded to an Antipodes CX and couldn't be happier. The SQ is better than the Aurender, it is Roon Ready and Roon core and the customer service is out of this world. Well done New Zealand.

I would suggest building a PC to be a music server and use the J River software. You could manipulate the sound to your preference rather than rely on their dedicated sound stage.

I have two N100H on two systems with Raidho X3 and Q500 speakers.

In both cases the Aurender is cleaner thah Raspbery Pi or UPNP, by a lot.

The conductor app is great, V3.

I tried a variety of internet cables , switches and Uptone etherregen.  No audible effect. I think the Aurender does a good job by itself.

Also, no difference anymore between locally stores or streamed hires Qobuz.

@blisshifi 
One other suggestion, having had a lot of experience with many of the components in your system, is to try different tubes in your Audio Mirror DAC. NOS Telefunken, despite their high reputation, deliver a hotter, more overdriven sound (not really overdriven, but very textured and gritty at times), that many people crave. The Audio Mirror itself is a very neutral DAC (Vlad is a close friend of mine and lives fairly close by), so perhaps try some 6922 variants that have a sweeter tone.

Very interesting comment. I have NOS Telefunken medical tubes installed in my Rogue preamp. I am experiencing the sound from them that you referenced. I had thought my problem had to be in another area of my system as everyone seems to love the Tele’s & most claim they are the ‘flattest’ of tubes. Rolling to NOS Siemens nickel plate today. We shall see. Thanks for your comment. 

@blisshifi 

Question, I also own NOS Brimar’s. What tubes, including and in addition to mine do you recommend?

@signaforce Though I’ve heard other Rogue preamps, I have no experience with the RP-1. In this case, you’re talking about 12AU7 vs the OP’s 6922 (and complements), so sonic qualities are a bit different.

The Brimar CV4003 is one of my favorite 12AU7s for its warmth, harmonics and sweeter top end, though I wish they had just a bit more sparkle up top. The Siemens you are getting are great as well. NOS Mullards seem to be quite coveted, and I had them in a Primaluna amp years ago. They had the qualities of the Brimar with a bit better top end. I should have kept them. 

Post removed 

@tvad 

Would you please share your thoughts on Roon vs Conductor in terms of SQ? What device are you using for Roon Core. Thank you! 

@audphile1

I would suspect cables (power, ICs, speaker), DAC or speakers.
What cables are you using?

Ah, right on the money. In preparation for the arrival of the n200 tomorrow, I received a 2m Wireworld Silver Starlight 8 spdif.  The larger chassis of the Aurender will need a new home a bit further from the Pass. Got the mini hooked up and right out of the box it’s a revelation over the Nordost Heimdall 2 AES. The top is controlled, gorgeous mids, tighter bass. The overall presentation is impressive. Now for the n200!

When’s the N200 coming? 
By the way I used Nordost H2 power cord on my N200 and it was great! Never tried the H2 digital cables. Give both cables a try with the n200 though as you never know - synergy is a funny beast. Also make sure to give a good USB cable a try as well. 

@signaforce 

I understand this thread is for an Aurender N200 but since you asked, and since the esteemed @blisshifi responded, I will throw my 2 cents in.  I just got a Rogue RP-7 preamp.  It is very clear and resolving, but I find with the stock tubes the sound is bright and glaring in my system, to the point I have to wear sunglasses while listening.  @blisshifi recommended the Brimars and Mullard NOS tubes to me, among others.  Mullards are coming Wednesday, and I can report back if interested.

Robert

@traubr 

Thanks. I own NOS Telefunken Medical, Siemens nickel plate & Brimar CV4003. I swapped out the Tele’s for the Siemens. They are bright, but eminently clean & clear unlike the Tele’s. Will try the Brimar’s next. Would like to hear your thoughts on the Mullards. @blisshifi Seems to know tubes! Thanks