Who would buy a Boulder 3050 amplifier?

Sorry, this is probably a completely pointless thread but I'm just simply baffled by even the existence of such incredible products and real curious about the folks who would feel the "need" to own such a component. Are these made just for bragging rights or there actually components out there - up or down the audio signal, that demand something like this piece. I'm asking this independently from the price tag because there are a lot of very expensive things out there ranging from a gold Rolex to a Ferrari and people buy temp for various reasons. Obviously a $50K Rolex will not keep time any better than a $20 Timex. Are these made to cater to the same type of consumers?
128x128kalali
Heard the amp with Wilson speakers set up by Wilson....didn't sound like music to me.
of course there is an esoteric market for these types of items. I doubt that Boulder sells more than a dozen per year of that model.

$195K for 2  450 lb mono-blocks each requiring its own 240-volt dedicated electric line and putting out 1,500 watts @ 8ohms operating completely in class A.

Obviously no one at Boulder is a disciple of Aristotle or Plato who taught: "Moderation in all things".

2 huge amps Operating in full class A on 2 240-volt lines and consuming 12,000 watts between both is going to make the electric meter spin like a top and create a good breeze.  
     Might be a good idea to capture this breeze by running HVAC ducts from the meter to the amps to prevent the owner's inevitable vaporization from the unavoidable heat produced in the listening room.

I'll pass,
 Tim 

"Sorry, this is probably a completely pointless thread..."

Always trust your first instincts.

Dave 

Pointless people, speeches, knives, needles and arrow tips can be a problem.

Pointless audio blog threads, I believe, are not.

As Neil said:

Old man lying
by the side of the road
With the lorries rolling by,
Blue moon sinking
from the weight of the load
And the buildings scrape the sky,
Cold wind ripping
down the alley at dawn
And the morning paper flies,
Dead man lying
by the side of the road
With the daylight in his eyes.

Don't let it bring you down
It's only castles burning,
Find someone who's turning
And you will come around.

Blind man running
through the light
of the night
With an answer in his hand,
Come on down
to the river of sight
And you can really understand,
Red lights flashing
through the window
in the rain,
Can you hear the sirens moan?
White cane lying
in a gutter in the lane,
If you're walking home alone.

Just find someone who's turning

Just find someone who's turning
Post removed 
stevecham,

Poignant but not pointless- very nice.

Thanks,
  Tim 
SOme people want it, some don't get it. 

I would want one in my system if I could... but I can't.  And you know what, I'm ok with that.  

FWIW, I have their Boulder 2060. 
Post removed 
I guess anyone owning a pair of very big and inefficient speakers with a vey large listening space - with good ventilation, could qualify as a potential buyer. Boulder designers are probably also making a statement by building a product like that. I've run across some weird and (very expensive stuff) when I used to travel to Dubai but those folks are not much into "audio" gear.
@kalali I doubt that you can lump all Boulder buyers into having large, inefficient speakers.  

Better think twice before making sweeping statements, unless you're just looking to rile people up with Boulders.  I am taking your thread as face value - an honest question that you posted. 

Remember, different strokes for different folks.  You don't have to understand, you just have to have respect for what everyone does.  Be it those people in Dubai or Boulder customers.  
Folks in Dubai will yet face the blast of audiophile brainwash to purchase amps in solid gold chassis.

kalali,
I suspect many non-audiophiles and most women have a similar view of our "modest" systems.

kalali

there are no pointless thread(s). Now, to answer your query;
no doubt that this is a niche' product. Boulder does possess a different sound. It is best demonstrated in an all -Boulder system (pre, power and source). This is not the kind of component that mixes/matches well w/ other brands.  Yes, it is a sonic match for Wilson speakers.

ARC, Ayre, Bryston and Conrad Johnson are less expensive alternatives w/ Wlison speakers. Happy Listening!

joey_v, my comment was related to this particular model within their product range. I personally would love to hear (and own only if I could afford) one of their "lower" models. No disrespect (to anyone) was intended. And, my original question was meant to be honest and based on curiosity. I assume, maybe naiively, that the audiophile folks pay for sound quality and not for show and was wondering what would drive a person to look for a component with such massive capabilities.

Anyway, as someone mentioned earlier, I should have trusted my first instincts.

Post removed 
Had a chance to spend some time with a full line-up of Boulder components which I think included the 3050's(?). The full set-up retailed somewhere North of 300K. Listened to a lot of my music. I have an ultra high-end 2 channel system at home which cost perhaps a fourth of the system just mentioned. The Boulder based system did an incredible job of mining out the micro detail of every disc. Overall, however, the musicality of the system was just not there. I attribute this in part to the room and perhaps the lack of applying useful tweaks. 

Bottom-line is that there is a real point of 'diminishing returns' in this hobby and to my ear the differences were absolutely not worth the cost. In fact, I'm not sure I would swap systems if it meant living with it the rest of my days.
I've collected a full line of Boulder equipment over the last 16 years. I've find it incredibly realistic, neutral and gorgeous sounding when used with excellent cables and speakers. It is intensely detailed and musical without being harsh and without glare.  The soundstage is rock solid and remains so even with complex and loud signals.  This is an area where some fine electronics fail - the soundstage can diminish in those circumstances. Boulder equipment does need to be continuously powered up with a signal; otherwise it doesn't sound good, in my opinion.  My reference has always been live music (for me, classical music in a great concert hall).

I've heard the 3060 stereo amp and 2110 preamp in a fine system and it is fabulous.

Would I buy the 3000 series? Absolutely. I just can't afford it.
You can have a Mickey D. Burger or a 
1 in. Thick cooked pink Rib Eye there's no
Difference.     Is that what your saying??
As to the singular argument- if you can afford it, it's your decision, and
more power to you-
As long as you made your prodigious wealth honestly and show an equal amount of compassion and empathy in helping those less fortunate, by all means buy whatever you want.  But perhaps your acts of charity might move your spirit even more than the nth degree of electronic sophistication in your living room.
... and show an equal amount of compassion and empathy in helping those less fortunate, by all means buy whatever you want.  But perhaps your acts of charity might move your spirit even more than the nth degree of electronic sophistication in your living room.
Who're you,  *#&^ Mother Teresa??
I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.... 
between the need for a gold-plated toilet seat and one made of the usual materials designed for the average derriere.  
Ripping people off for a living just to get ahead in life is incompatible with the purpose of great music- which is to inspire and uplift the listener- Not merely to show off "what you can afford".
    Yes, in the real world there ARE limits- like putting down your folk when your stomach is full.  Or lowering the volume on your 2000W/channel system when your ears start to hurt.
IOW, When is enough enough?  
Pointless posts to a pointless thread. I think there is a soap opera on TV...
Post removed 
Ripping people off for a living just to get ahead in life is incompatible with the purpose of great music- which is to inspire and uplift the listener- Not merely to show off "what you can afford". 
Ripoff??  Is Boulder forcing anyone to buy their amp?    
 Yes, in the real world there ARE limits- like putting down your folk when your stomach is full.  Or lowering the volume on your 2000W/channel system when your ears start to hurt. 
Well, is your limit universal?   Does it applies to everyone??
IOW, When is enough enough?
It's a personal decision and frankly why do you care how an individual spends THEIR money? 

to elberoth2. "if they can afford one... more power to them". It does not seem they would need more power.
Maybe it's someone who could be tired of their Naim Statements or even the older Dynaudio Arbitors. The people that can afford stuff like that could build a system with the Boulders just as a starting point for their garage and not even notice their 'pocket change' was missing. But I'll bet they don't post on any forums. So what difference does it make? If you can afford it great if not it's OK to dream (I do).
ONCE AGAIN...  If anyone thinks that the money in their bank account belongs solely to them alone... they also have to ultimately believe that the earth exists for them alone, that society exists to serve them alone,
that people exist to please them alone, etc.  We are all just passing through this existence.  I am not objecting to the Boulder amps or the engineers who designed them, only to the attitude that you need only to please yourself regardless of the consequences to others.  I DO understand that the amps might perform at an astounding level of realism and that's great, truly.  I just think it's a bit ironic that so many composers and musicians die without a dime to their name, while the music they produce can only be "fully experienced" on a sound system that costs far more than the second-hand piano they used to record the album.
To me I would welcome the possibility of buying the 3060.  I enjoy my 2060 immensely.  It is an awesome piece.  Musical powerful accurate.  The bass is just on point.  The staging is just right.  The extension to the treble is sweet and natural sounding like a good set of tubes.
I’ve owned a Boulder 1060 & 1010 pre. The first thing you notice is the excellent build quality & solid, user-friendly interface. Boulder gear looks and feels like it’s built for a lifetime. It sounds natural, neutral, resolving & has excellent control to my ears. The 1060 really grabbed my Marten Coltrane Alto’s by the scruff after my previous Classe integrated struggled. Joey’s 2060 is even better & operates in pure class A. The current 2100 series takes is still further & is the sweet spot in Boulder’s range imho.

My friend owns a Boulder 3060 stereo amp. That amp is driving a pair of YG Sonja 1.3’s with great success paired with a 2120 dac & 2110 preamp; both awesome pieces. To me, the only idiots who would criticize that kind of setup are wanna be’s who can never afford that kind of gear, or ignorant keyboard warriors.
Dear Friends,
I had the oportunity of listening these massive amplifiers with a pair of Wilson Alexx. Previously the same setup with a Boulder 3060 stereo among other prestigious brands.
Let me tell you that in escence, I couldn't stop listening because I virtually re-discover many of my music. Not only in terms of detail, but also liveness, microdianmics, and musicality. And at a moderate volume. 
So, from my point of view there are extraordinary. 

@melbguy1  Interesting he went for the boulder with YG pairing. I've heard from a YG dealer that he is not a fan of the combination as its a bit too cool sounding.
Everything mentioned here is based on your point of view and other's points of view.

In the audiophile community, most of the equipment is considered over the top and stupidly expensive to people that aren't in the audiophile community.  so why the judgement on the Boulder amp?

Same with cars, watches, etc.  There will always be another level where the people below will say, wow! that is too much, too over the top.  So, to me, it is a matter of perspective.

You might drive a decent Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, etc. and see a Bentley, Ferrari, etc. go by and say, wow that's over the top. Why would someone buy such a thing?  The answers vary from 
1.  They can
2.  It's the next best and greatest and they just have to have it.
3.  They have lost their mind.

So, if you came into possession of lifestyle changing money, what would you do?

You have to spend it on something.  Donate some, help friends and family, buy a bigger house (which someone would say is also over the top), etc.  You would still have a large amount left after investments.  So, have fun.

I don't know if I would buy the Boulder amp, but I would definitely have some fun after putting money away, investing, taking care of family and some friends, continue the donations and maybe do more.  Well, maybe I would see what that Audio Research REF 750SE amp sounds like and the REF 10 pre-amp.  or maybe something that is suppose to be much better.  Why not?

So, I wouldn't disparage Boulder and other manufacturers for coming up with stupidly expensive gear.  Just like I wouldn't for cars, watches, etc.  
I count myself fortunate that my hearing is still okay, I'm relatively healthy, can enjoy life, equipment, family, friends.  

Tell you what.  I wouldn't mind listening to the amp, driving the supercar (after proper training), staying at the best hotel in Europe, eating at the best places.  At least to experience it.

enjoy

and, just to be clear, a $10 timex keeps time much better than a gold rolex. 

:D 

(as an owner of both. well, not gold. :D )