Who would buy a Boulder 3050 amplifier?

Sorry, this is probably a completely pointless thread but I'm just simply baffled by even the existence of such incredible products and real curious about the folks who would feel the "need" to own such a component. Are these made just for bragging rights or there actually components out there - up or down the audio signal, that demand something like this piece. I'm asking this independently from the price tag because there are a lot of very expensive things out there ranging from a gold Rolex to a Ferrari and people buy temp for various reasons. Obviously a $50K Rolex will not keep time any better than a $20 Timex. Are these made to cater to the same type of consumers?
128x128kalali

Showing 3 responses by noble100

$195K for 2  450 lb mono-blocks each requiring its own 240-volt dedicated electric line and putting out 1,500 watts @ 8ohms operating completely in class A.

Obviously no one at Boulder is a disciple of Aristotle or Plato who taught: "Moderation in all things".

2 huge amps Operating in full class A on 2 240-volt lines and consuming 12,000 watts between both is going to make the electric meter spin like a top and create a good breeze.  
     Might be a good idea to capture this breeze by running HVAC ducts from the meter to the amps to prevent the owner's inevitable vaporization from the unavoidable heat produced in the listening room.

I'll pass,
 Tim 

Pointless people, speeches, knives, needles and arrow tips can be a problem.

Pointless audio blog threads, I believe, are not.

stevecham,

Poignant but not pointless- very nice.

Thanks,
  Tim