TEAC NT-505 impossible connecting to WiFi router o such LAN: help me please?

Hello mates,
I got my NT-505 3 days ago.
It seems to be working correctly but in my opinion all software in not the same level than the device: too aged & often no relevant documentation or support about.
However my big trouble is the NETWORK interface:  since first time I switched on, the NT-505 remains "for ever"  into NET configuring blinking state until it goes in power stand by.
Summarizing:

1. RJ45 cable is ok - tested in several manners
2. the wifi router (1Gb fiber connection) is ok
3. the wifi router ether ports (4) are ok - I checked a bridged LAN configuration too

Testing the NT-505 Ether port It results:

1. the physical level of protocol seems working correctly just on-way: the interface recognizes correctly the bandwidth (Fast ot Giga in my case) end the packet coming from the router are buffered. No packet sent  to the router.

2. At protocol level no ARP session are involved hence impossible retrieve MAC address and trying to do something.

VERY STUPID ISSUES:

1. Being NET board logically split from MAIN board It's need a separate firmware(!!!): how can I upload the NET firmware if, as stated into documentation, I must use the mobile app and It's impossible connecting the device to such LAN?

2. NO menu interface to configure manually the net parameters.

May someone help me (tricks..., recovery sw,..., low level maintance menu...,...) 

Thank you a lot.

silvio66
Hi narnos,
no way, just today I received the new one replaced by supplier.
It works with any router, interfaces (Fast, Gig, ..) even old FW rel. too.
As reported by distributor, there are a lot of devices dead on arrival.
He told me often the Ether card is not connect properly to main board or it's defective.
Now it's working since 8 hours there are no problem!! The sound is great. I suspetting, but I'm not sure, that new stock devices has a different ether card.
However, my suggestion upon my actual experience, If a NT-505 works via trick or workaround is a defective one: ask for repair o replace your
I tested mine with 1 € cable  and USB stick found into my kid Easter egg.

Do not waste time.

Post removed 
Quick update on my side as well. I did receive my replacement NT-505 today, and so far it connects to the network without any issues.
I would agree with Silvio at this point and would suggest anyone having these sort of issues to return/exchange their units ASAP and not waste time.
I have been having problems with mine as well and have tried a number of things including a new router, firmware updates, factory resets, different cables, etc.  The problem seems to be a result of using a wireless client to establish the connection.  I ran an ethernet cable to it a couple of days ago and it has been stable since then.  I've connected my Roku, TV, home theater pre-processor, and Oppo to the wireless client and they all worked, so I'm stymied by why it won't work with the TEAC, but that seems to be the issue in my case at least.

Before doing that I had put in a support ticket with TEAC.  When they replied, I asked why it wouldn't work with a wireless client and will post an update once I hear back from them.  
Second day with my new NT-505 and so far and can not be happier.
Any of you folks have experience with Roon Essentials?

No, sorry, no experience with Roon.

I saw on another NT-505 thread that a chap got the Teac CG-10M 10MHz external clock to add to the NT-505 and reported that it made it better than an Auralic Vega G1. I don’t know if I can justify the added cost though .... Wish there were more reports of the external clock making a big difference.  
I have the full Roon, not Essentials, and mine was recognized by Roon immediately once it was connected to the network.

BTW, I've had mine for 2 weeks now and love it. The headphone amp section is not the greatest but I bought a used SPL Phonitor E and now it's fantastic.
This is what I got back from TEAC regarding using the NT-505 with a wireless client:

I’m suspecting network congestion on the wireless network may have contributed to the issue you were having. This is why the Ethernet connection resolved it.
I have an NT-505 that has now started to not connect to the network, as well as pair In Bluetooth.  I’ve done all the normal things to correct.  Reset, firmware upgrade.  Check directly with my router, but it will not work.  Have talked with Teac (Onkyo) support and they said I need to send it in to a service center. 
QUESTION:  Who did you talk to and how did you get a replacement done for your unit?  I just want a replacement and not have to wait months for a service center to do something.
ONE MORE THING:  A service center close to where I live, and suggested by Teac told me they don’t work on the NT-505.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
@bigfanga Thanks! I do have and running the full roon version, but was curious if I was to get a say an Elac discovery ds-s101-g music server, which comes with embedded fully licensed scalled down version of roon, AKA Roon Essentials, I will still be able to play my music throughout all of my roon endpoints. I don't know if its even worth considering that. What do you guys think?

@trinhsman Not sure if that is a good enough answer for you, but been in the US, I ended up calling the US Teac (Onkyo) support line, and was forwarded to someone from order/product support that helped me with issuing an RMA and return address in New Jersey. Took about 2 weeks back and forth before I've got my new unit.

Seems that a lot of folks starting to have issues. Odd because for last year didn’t see really any problems on forums. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope Teac replaces or fixes the bad units
Ended up sending my unit to a regional service center in California.  I told them I had done research and there seemed to be some serious issues popping up like this.  They said they had not seen that, but would make sure my unit is repaired or replaced.  Told me 5-7 days before they can look at it.  The sad part is the dealer I bought the unit from basically told me they could do nothing other than tell me where to send the unit.  They never responded to my request for a replacement.  I opened a case via PayPal with them to try and get my shipping costs of 85.00 back, when I sent the unit in for repair.  They have ignored that also.  So, my advice is don’t buy anything from HiFi Heaven.
I just bought open-box NT-505 at eBay (from Teac USA) and am having the exact same issue. The display remains NET with 'starting' flashing.
Also tried everything I can think of, power cycle, cable swap, router/hub power cycle, firmware update (v1.22), factory reset, network module reset (which I found was mentioned in JP user web site) but nothing worked.
Now I have started a message conversation with Teac USA and am waiting for their response.
It's really a very basic feature for 'network' player and I'm disappointed that they have not tested it before shipping it out.
Its USB interface on the other hand is working fine and I can still enjoy the music it plays (pretty good).

The regional service center I sent my unit to said they had not heard of the issue.  I may let them see this thread.
My own experience with NT-505:

I bought the unit directly from Teac six weeks ago, connected with 26 feet 8-cat Ethernet cord to my router. 
Weeks 1-2: no problem at all. The unit and app was working just perfect, no drop offs, no connection issues, no app failure. Everything was in line. 
Week 3: connection issues appeared, tracks errors and drop offs on almost every song, all the apps (HR streamer, Lumin and Esoteric) wasn’t working stable, function buttons delayed or no reaction at all... I tried everything - unit manufacturing reset, router reboot, Ethernet cable reconnection, apps reinstalled, iPhone reboot, Tidal reinstall and resign... no results, issues was returning every time...

Week 4:  I downloaded and installed firmware update for the unit v1.22 from Teac Japanese site.... 5 min job, using my Windows laptop and micro USB charging cable from my daughter’s old phone. 
Weeks 5-6:   after firmware update all issues disappeared.. so far everything works just great... the unit and apps is in line and working perfectly. 
I haven't had any issues with mine since I ran an ethernet cable to it and upgraded firmware.  Rock solid.
Same here (no issues) for me, but I've had mine for about a year.  Maybe something changed in manufacturing or something and more recent ones are more susceptible to issues?
@duhduhduhman2020 Interesting enough, I've got mine from the same place. Makes me wonder if they are selling a defective batch may be? I don't know, but get in touch with the seller and have them issue an RMA. They are very responsive.
Hope you get your problems resolved soon.
FWIW, I got mine from TEAC direct (open box) also. As of today I've had mine for exactly 4 weeks and this conversation is now making me nervous. I thought that since mine worked fine from startup that I was clear of all the problems previously described.

Maybe the "open box" units are actually refurbs of previously defective units?
Seems like Teac has some QC issues they need to address or else someone is selling returns without testing the units properly.

My NT-505 was a sealed unit bought in Canada, sounds wonderful no issues whatsoever with all the latest software/firmware installed.  Works perfect as a Roon Ready device.  

One of the better sounding pieces of digital gear I've bought kind of a Goldilocks piece for me really as digital seems to often either be too hard and cold or trying too hard to sound warm and smooth while being too rolled off in doing so.  Detail and separation is definitely there in spades but it doesn't sacrifice tone in doing so, taught bottom end as well.  I find it to be engaging and fun to listen to but not fatiguing in the least.

Hopefully anyone experiencing issues with these units gets a fresh one in their hands without too much pain and at least gets a taste of what it can do...
Updating my case. Have talked to tech support and after trying several things I tried before, they concluded that my unit is defective and suggested exchange/replacement. 
Teac USA at eBay told me that they don't have any stock for open box right now so I'm going to return it and get a refund.
Now I'm back to the pre-purchase phase and thinking whether I should buy a new one with higher price or consider a different network player.
@bigfanga you are a lucky one :-)
@kosta68k Obviously they do not test returned units and just sell them on eBay. As it was sold by official Teac USA, I expected that the unit has been fully tested. Well, but it's not said 'refurbished' so I guess I shouldn't have expected that.  

By the way I was surprised to find out that MQA rendering is supported only on NET mode. I wanted to try it with USB connection but I don't see it's happening then found it out by reading the manual.
Why Teac, why

I’m still waiting on service on my unit.  I contacted the seller originally and they were absolutely no help.  Basically told me it was out of their hands and I had to go through Teac.  I have now opened a case with PayPal on them.  I’m out 85.00 to send the unit (under warranty) to a service center.  I also had problems start at 3 1/2 months, so I felt the seller should just replace the unit and they should work with Teac or any service center on the unit they replaced.  I’ll be contacting the service center this week to see where things stand.  
Update:  Was called by the service center yesterday and told my unit was repaired and being shipped back to me.  Should be here next week.  Was told it was the “usb board” that was bad.  Apparently that board controls all network connections.  They said they tested it 4 different days, several times each day after the repair and it connected each time.
On a note regarding the service center:  Adams Electronics in Huntington Beach, CA.  They were amazing.  Emailed me when they got the unit.  Called me when there was an issue with the part and told me to call Teac and tell them the problem and that they had told me to call.  I did and Teac stepped up and overnighted the part to the service center.  The service center also called me once the unit was repaired and told me how they wanted to test it before sending it out.  They also called me when they shipped the unit and emailed me tracking.  Now that is what a factory authorized service center should be like.  
Great news, trinhnsman! I've had mine for two months now & love it but your experience has me on the lookout for a network failure at some point in the future. I have my Vault 2i to rotate back in if/when my Teac goes out so that's some consolation.
If anything happens, push with Teac/Onkyo.  Teac is aware of this board failure, but doesn’t like to admit it.  I asked for supervisors when I talked with them.  It seemed to speed things up and get things moving.  Can’t wait to get the Teac back.  Been streaming some things through a Sony UBP X-1000ES.  It’s good, but no where what the Teac is capable of.
I just upgraded my cable modem and switched to Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable, and had Xfinity run Coax11 as upgrade from Coax6 from street to side of house, and my Teac NT-505 is still running trouble-free after more than a year.

Head-to-head against my Cambridge Azur 851n, it just blows the Azur away in sound quality (although the CA’s display with album artwork is nice).

Glad that Teac is getting these things fixed for those who had problems.

I’d still love to see someone do a head-to-head shootout between the Teac NT-505 and the $4.5k Lumin T2 at more than double the Teac’s $2k msrp.

I also have the CG-10M clock.  I was to
d by my dealer and a long time Audio nerd that, that combination comes very close to the Esoteric streamer.  
@trinhsman Have you done comparisons with and without the clock?  Can you describe the differences?  I've thought about getting the clock, but wonder if it's a subtle or noticeable difference in sound quality.
I have noticed it depends on the quality of the material streamed and how complex the music is.  For the most part is is only subtle.  Occasionally it is really great.  I am personally of the opinion that equipment upstream has a lot on how much you will hear.  If I were to make a suggestion, a dealer with a strong return policy would be best.  That way if you don’t like it you can send it back.  In my case I was going for the best price, so that was not an option unless I wanted a restock fee applied.  
I wish you well.
I got my unit back today.  Wasn’t supposed to be here till Monday and I was supposed to have to sign for it.  Wife and I went to the grocery store.  When we got back, FedEx had put it down by my garage door.
Hooked it up and first try it locked on to the internet.  I was concerned because I had changed out the repeater to a better one that has more Ethernet ports and is supposed to be much faster.  
So far it is working great.  The tech left the songs he tested on the unit.  Can’t be a bad guy, likes Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc.  
Keeping my fingers crossed this will be a long term fix.
I forgot just how good this thing is.  Amazing sound.  Even the wife says it sounds better.
Further update:  Unit worked flawlessly over the weekend.  I did notice the tech had messed with the units app settings.  Couldn't make Spotify work, then discovered the settings had been changed.  Once changed, everything is perfect.  So far, so good.
Further update: working great.  I did have an issue connecting via Bluetooth.  Found I had to delete all devices from my iPhone and iPad, then re-connect.  Not sure why, but that’s what it took to make Bluetooth work.  The NET works great.  I also have the CG-10M clock and together this really sounds amazing.
Mine has been rock solid for a month now since I ran a cable to it and stopped trying to get out to work with a wireless repeater. 
My wireless repeater works great with mine.  I use a Cat8 Ethernet cable and the repeater is a top of the line Netgear model, rated as one of the best.  No drop outs ever, even when I was updating my GPS maps and streaming music at the same time at HiRez.
I used kind of a cheapo repeater, but it worked fine with my blue sound node 2 and a number of other devices. All good now that I ran a wire to it. No reason it shouldn't work with a repeater, it was probably an issue with my repeater or my router. 
I have the nt505... Same issues. After a years worth of heavy use... Last week the infamous "starting" endlessly blinks in network.

It’s acting as if the internal Nic isn’t requesting an IP or it’s frozen. All lights indicate a 100mbit handshake.

I’ve found a pita workaround ... Basically it needs to be on for a few minutes and then must be unplugged for a good bit before attempting again.

It’s hardwared behind the att gigapower gateway which is wired to the orbi wifi6 router which is wired to a netsafe 16port dumb switch.

I called teac.. the lady was a douchebag and acted as if she had never heard of such a thing.

I purchased a slightly better managed 16port switch today and will arrive Friday.  Perhaps it'll help, but I doubt it.

I also called the California repair place mentioned previous, but they couldn't give a price for whatever reason..
Call Teac again and up your call to a supervisor.  Let them know this issue is now very well mentioned on audio forums.  If you get the right person, you will get some help.
Thanks.

Updated the switch today... No dice.  I also called teac, but was given the run-around due to covid19 blah blah blah.

The streamer sounds good and on paper it's a fine machine, but def not worth the $2000 MSRP.

I would never had imagined the core function would fail and I don't think I've ever had anything networking related fail either.

I'll pay the $369 (although I don't feel I should have to pay 100%) plus shipping to fix it.. and then replace it with a dual ak4499 streamer if that ever happens!
The authorized service center in Huntington Beach, California did my repair.  First rate.  
Post removed 
About 2 weeks.  I live in Georgia.  Sent it out and they had it for 2-3 days before looking at it.  Diagnosed the issue and had problems getting the part.  They told me to call Teac.  I did, and told Teac that “their” authorized service center had told me to call them.  At that point I was able to speak to a supervisor.  I told them the problem and that there were lots of comments being placed online on an Audio Forum about this issue.  He had me hold while he checked on parts.  He then got back to me and said they would overnight the part to the service center.  After that it was about 5 days for the repair and 3-4 days return shipping.  
One more thing to try, if you haven’t.  Make sure the firmware is up to date.  It has helped some people.  
any particular reason why wizard electronics in Atlanta wasn’t an option for you? Im simply curious being they are also an authorized repair facility.

I’m in Louisiana, so it really makes no difference to me other than the folks in California have obviously experienced the issue and were able to fix it.

i did the 1.22 update and upgraded the 16 port dumb switch to a managed variant (i needed to anyway, but have been putting it off until now) with no help.

As described previous - from a cold start the nt505 will stay in "starting" indefinitely in network mode. Only after fully unplugging and then powering up after its been on a good while will it grab an IP.

I’ll definitely send it off tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

I wonder if TEAC will add support for amazon and deezer hires? I kind of feel like this doesn’t receive much love... on paper its a beast.
@love_that_sound :

You said you had your nt-505 for one year heavy use before issue started.  That has me nervous as I have also had mine now for about 14 months.

Did the problem for you come on gradually (periodic difficulties connecting but eventually it would after a bit), or did it fall off a cliff and all of a sudden not work at all out of the blue?

Thanks -
kren0006

There were no early indications of failure.

I was an early adopter and purchased this January 9, 2019.

Thanks.  Yikes.  That is scary.  I purchased mine in May 2019.  Good luck with getting replacement/fix.
kren0006

I have a conversation going with the previously mentioned repair center in California.

I'll send it off tomorrow and hope for the best.