TEAC NT-505 impossible connecting to WiFi router o such LAN: help me please?

Hello mates,
I got my NT-505 3 days ago.
It seems to be working correctly but in my opinion all software in not the same level than the device: too aged & often no relevant documentation or support about.
However my big trouble is the NETWORK interface:  since first time I switched on, the NT-505 remains "for ever"  into NET configuring blinking state until it goes in power stand by.
Summarizing:

1. RJ45 cable is ok - tested in several manners
2. the wifi router (1Gb fiber connection) is ok
3. the wifi router ether ports (4) are ok - I checked a bridged LAN configuration too

Testing the NT-505 Ether port It results:

1. the physical level of protocol seems working correctly just on-way: the interface recognizes correctly the bandwidth (Fast ot Giga in my case) end the packet coming from the router are buffered. No packet sent  to the router.

2. At protocol level no ARP session are involved hence impossible retrieve MAC address and trying to do something.

VERY STUPID ISSUES:

1. Being NET board logically split from MAIN board It's need a separate firmware(!!!): how can I upload the NET firmware if, as stated into documentation, I must use the mobile app and It's impossible connecting the device to such LAN?

2. NO menu interface to configure manually the net parameters.

May someone help me (tricks..., recovery sw,..., low level maintance menu...,...) 

Thank you a lot.

silvio66

Showing 11 responses by kosta68k

Hi All, So I did purchase a NT-505 and my first experience with it was should I say eye opening in terms of audio/build quality etc. However, as most of you here, I did have the same issues with network connectivity. It really seems it’s network controller loves to connect to 100mbits, and as such I was able to stabilize its behavior if I have it connected to simple 10/100 switch. I’m positive the same results could be achieved if you have a 10/100/1000 managed switch, and you can force the port where NT-505 is connected to 100 megs. I am about to open a channel with Teac support and have a nice discussion about these issues with them, and really hope they can fix it in a future firmware release.
Stay safe out there!
Hi Silvio/All,
FYI. I did try connecting my DAC via a dumb 10/100 switch, and even though its behavior, and I was very excited about it yesterday was quite stable. I did few restarts, with the power button, remote control, so in a nut shell was doing just great, however, this morning I was unpleasantly surprised when it couldn’t connect yet AGAIN.

I decided to move it to a completely different switch (10/100/1000megs) using a new cable, and the damn thing decided to work again, even with tons of restarts. I have no clue what to make out of this, but really hope TEAC support will give us some useful recommendations how to overcome these problems, and/or expectations when they can fix it, if it’s a device problem, which seems to me its the case here.
I totally agree it’s a quite expensive device and as such we shouldn’t be having these kind of problem with it.
I will keep you guys updated how my TEAC support convo is going next week.

Regards and be safe!
Quick update: Off the phone with Teac US support, and the consensus was it’s a defective unit. Opened a case for replacement and will keep you guys informed with the progress once I get the new unit.

Found a buddy of mine that purchased his from an European store in Germany, and his works as a charm every time.

On a related note... I was able to get a consistent result with the unit been able to get an IP within 15 secs of switching it over to Network mode, or just turning off/on in Network mode of waiting for been up (warm up) for 5 minutes. In my case it seems something is definitively wrong with it’s network module or power supply, OR who cares what as long as I get a working unit at the end of the day.
Silvio, have you tried having yours up for about 5 minutes to warm up before trying to connect/switch it over to Network mode? May be worth trying to see if that’s consistent with my experience?

Be safe!!!
Hi BG, Oh, I'm totally convinced mine is related to my NT-505. I have about 30 WiFi and another 15 LAN devices spread around my house and none of them show any such problems, so yeah, unfortunately I could positively say it's the Teac.

Hope you'll have better luck/experience once you get your new router installed. Good luck!
My unit came with v1.21, but I guess I was too quick to upgrade before I actually did any extensive testing. Not sure if I can downgrade now, especially the network piece which is 11.6.c now after all upgrades. Teac support mentioned v1.22 should bring more stability then anything else in terms of network connectivity, but who knows. I may look into downgrading if at all possible before I do the exchange with a new unit.
Update: Installed v1.21, did number of resets, and nothing really worked. Well there was a lesson learned of course and that was my unit is definitely hosed in a way I can’t explain, but can easily guess its HW related.

My lastest experiments show if I connect it over USB to say my Mac it would always be able to get an IP and be available over the network (go figure). However, if I do leave it to Network mode and power it down, and keep it down for say 10-15 mins and then power up (doesn’t make any diff if HW power switch or remote button) it would not get an IP.
All-in-all it’s going back to Teac (Onkyo here in US). A bit disappointing I was the one of the few unlucky Teac users out there cause according to Onkyo, there are no other reports of such behavior, or don’t want to admit it.
Although might be tempting... stay on v1.21 if you ask me and don’t fix something is not broken :)
@bigfanga Thanks! I do have and running the full roon version, but was curious if I was to get a say an Elac discovery ds-s101-g music server, which comes with embedded fully licensed scalled down version of roon, AKA Roon Essentials, I will still be able to play my music throughout all of my roon endpoints. I don't know if its even worth considering that. What do you guys think?

@trinhsman Not sure if that is a good enough answer for you, but been in the US, I ended up calling the US Teac (Onkyo) support line, and was forwarded to someone from order/product support that helped me with issuing an RMA and return address in New Jersey. Took about 2 weeks back and forth before I've got my new unit.

Quick update on my side as well. I did receive my replacement NT-505 today, and so far it connects to the network without any issues.
I would agree with Silvio at this point and would suggest anyone having these sort of issues to return/exchange their units ASAP and not waste time.
Second day with my new NT-505 and so far and can not be happier.
Any of you folks have experience with Roon Essentials?

@duhduhduhman2020 Interesting enough, I've got mine from the same place. Makes me wonder if they are selling a defective batch may be? I don't know, but get in touch with the seller and have them issue an RMA. They are very responsive.
Hope you get your problems resolved soon.
Quick update after 4 months use of my replacement NT-505.

Wanted to quickly share my experience with my NT505. I've been controlling/listening to it via Roon, and so far the replacement unit works excellent. The sound is amazing! I really don't have a good base for comparison as all my previous DACs were from a way lower class, but I think for now I'm set and done with chasing the perfect DAC, as I can clearly see this is a quite deep rabbit whole :)

And to wrap it up... Based on my personal experience so far, and all mentioned in this thread so far, I just hope and keep my fingers crossed my unit will stay stable and I will not have any need for customer support as that thought just scares the living hell out of me.
Stay safe everyone!