TEAC NT-505 impossible connecting to WiFi router o such LAN: help me please?

Hello mates,
I got my NT-505 3 days ago.
It seems to be working correctly but in my opinion all software in not the same level than the device: too aged & often no relevant documentation or support about.
However my big trouble is the NETWORK interface:  since first time I switched on, the NT-505 remains "for ever"  into NET configuring blinking state until it goes in power stand by.
Summarizing:

1. RJ45 cable is ok - tested in several manners
2. the wifi router (1Gb fiber connection) is ok
3. the wifi router ether ports (4) are ok - I checked a bridged LAN configuration too

Testing the NT-505 Ether port It results:

1. the physical level of protocol seems working correctly just on-way: the interface recognizes correctly the bandwidth (Fast ot Giga in my case) end the packet coming from the router are buffered. No packet sent  to the router.

2. At protocol level no ARP session are involved hence impossible retrieve MAC address and trying to do something.

VERY STUPID ISSUES:

1. Being NET board logically split from MAIN board It's need a separate firmware(!!!): how can I upload the NET firmware if, as stated into documentation, I must use the mobile app and It's impossible connecting the device to such LAN?

2. NO menu interface to configure manually the net parameters.

May someone help me (tricks..., recovery sw,..., low level maintance menu...,...) 

Thank you a lot.

silvio66

Showing 41 responses by love_that_sound

Thank you for the email address you provided...

Teac seems quite interested in rectifying the situation and seemed to thank me (us on audiogon) for highlighting the problem.

Interesting that y’all mentioned the clock... I mentioned to teac that I’ve spent more than 10 hours of my time attempting to track down this board and that my time isn't free.

I asked why ALL of their service centers were unable to get parts

Here a copy/paste:

There is a lot of movement here with the transition we are in the midst of pertaining to the Onkyo and Pioneer brands. The parts department is swamped with moving inventory over to another entity, so I don’t think it is any more complicated than a short term distraction in the form a huge deadline they have to react to. However, conversations like this will allow me to shine a light on your situation. The model is in production, so by association there can’t be a lack of parts overseas and if they are available there, they can be available here.

I will be back to you just as quickly as I can.

Teac Tech Support

Onkyo USA Corporation

I agree with that.

If, by some miracle teac manages to fix my nt505 I'll get the clock too.
Someone needs to officially explain what's going on for sure.

As far as the clock... On paper the science is legit... Whether or not there is a perceivable difference real world.... 
the service center has confirmed that the usb board is bad.  From what i can gather, the part isn't readily available... its ordered, but no timeframe.  Teac/Onkyo are of no help whatsoever.
Thanks for the help.

We have a pair of jbl everest powered by Bob carver crimson 350 tubes...

The teac nt505 is a legit dac ... I too am interested in clock results.
I think they eventually will, but it's been 2 months already and it's my understanding that there still is at least 2 months of transition before any of the parts/repairs are sorted out.

I asked admin@teac for a phone number as Citibank claims is looking for one...

No reply.

I can't even replace it with another nt505 from an authorized dealer presently... Not until the transfer is settled (according to the dealer I purchased from).

It's a shame really because I enjoy nt505.

4 months isn't acceptable (4 months of tidal and qobuz subs wasted too).
Surfmuz... that sounds like a network/permissions issue with your controller (phone/tablet).

My nt505 replacement arrived today... sounds as great as i remember.
I dont use room, but streaming Dsd via the nas, tidal, and qobuz all work flawlessly. 

Whatever problem they did have ....seems they have acknowledged and corrected. 
Yep...

called Canada, UK, and even contacted TEAC Japan.

I then emailed the newly formed subsidiary and they confirmed no us support for esoteric and teac.

I don’t disagree...

Adams electronics (authorized service center) in California mentioned they have more than 30 items from pioneer, Onkyo, and teac awaiting parts... Most of which under warranty.

I feel for you as it can't be good for overall value and resale potential....

Surely, someone will eventually come up with a solution.

I have the nt505... Same issues. After a years worth of heavy use... Last week the infamous "starting" endlessly blinks in network.

It’s acting as if the internal Nic isn’t requesting an IP or it’s frozen. All lights indicate a 100mbit handshake.

I’ve found a pita workaround ... Basically it needs to be on for a few minutes and then must be unplugged for a good bit before attempting again.

It’s hardwared behind the att gigapower gateway which is wired to the orbi wifi6 router which is wired to a netsafe 16port dumb switch.

I called teac.. the lady was a douchebag and acted as if she had never heard of such a thing.

I purchased a slightly better managed 16port switch today and will arrive Friday.  Perhaps it'll help, but I doubt it.

I also called the California repair place mentioned previous, but they couldn't give a price for whatever reason..
Thanks.

Updated the switch today... No dice.  I also called teac, but was given the run-around due to covid19 blah blah blah.

The streamer sounds good and on paper it's a fine machine, but def not worth the $2000 MSRP.

I would never had imagined the core function would fail and I don't think I've ever had anything networking related fail either.

I'll pay the $369 (although I don't feel I should have to pay 100%) plus shipping to fix it.. and then replace it with a dual ak4499 streamer if that ever happens!
any particular reason why wizard electronics in Atlanta wasn’t an option for you? Im simply curious being they are also an authorized repair facility.

I’m in Louisiana, so it really makes no difference to me other than the folks in California have obviously experienced the issue and were able to fix it.

i did the 1.22 update and upgraded the 16 port dumb switch to a managed variant (i needed to anyway, but have been putting it off until now) with no help.

As described previous - from a cold start the nt505 will stay in "starting" indefinitely in network mode. Only after fully unplugging and then powering up after its been on a good while will it grab an IP.

I’ll definitely send it off tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

I wonder if TEAC will add support for amazon and deezer hires? I kind of feel like this doesn’t receive much love... on paper its a beast.
kren0006

There were no early indications of failure.

I was an early adopter and purchased this January 9, 2019.

kren0006

I have a conversation going with the previously mentioned repair center in California.

I'll send it off tomorrow and hope for the best.
i haven't found it difficult to operate at all.  I have noticed that both the lumin and hr streamer app behave much better on an ipad v. samsung s20+.

I still haven't figured out how to incorporate the tunein radio function...
The science behind the precision clocks is legit... Interested to hear your take on it as well.
onkyo USA shut their doors and disconnected their phones.  Klipsch is carrying everything Onkyo did, but not TEAC.  

there are no boards available.  I contacted the TEAC agency in Canada to see if they can get one.

The nuclear option:  Fortunately, my wife used our Citi AA Platinum card to purchase this ... was a gift.  We have an additional 2 years of warranty.

That being said - its likely we'll get our 1999 back and I'll be shopping for another streaming dac.
Citibank started the process...

I'm kind of eyeing the ifi pro idsd.  One for sale on here, but I think it might be a hair overpriced.
Perhaps they will...

I forwarded this from Adams electronics...

To whom It may concern,

Attached is the invoice for the service on xxxx xxxxx'sTeac NT-505. We are unable to repair this product due to the necessary part not being available. Teac has stated parts for this product are provided by OnkyoUSA. OnkyoUSA has stated the necessary part is not available.

Best Regards,

Xxxxxx

Adam’s Electronics

7130 Edinger Avenue

Huntington Beach CA 92647

714-848-0110

They should be concerned ... As their parts and support come directly through Onkyo... Their support # through Onkyo.

Onkyo USA in new Jersey is closed.  Being Onkyo has distribution rights for teac and esoteric.... 

All of their "authorized" service centers ...ALL have been waiting on parts for at least a month...

Onkyo sold all of their us operations to 11 trading company (brand new Klipsch subsidiary).. but not Teac or Esoteric

I emailed the 11 trading company VP-

Don’t take my word for it.

Xxxx,

We do not have an agreement with Teac at this time. It is possible we may have the distribution rights in the future.

Best,

Rob Standley | VP and GM
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
11 Trading Company

317-603-8114

The teac admin which shared his name today promised to have a resolution Monday.

Adams electronics was top notch in the discussion.

A properly shielded BNC cable should be more than adequate.

I'm an energy sector deep water civil engineer and a shielded 50ohm BNC is absolutely fine using RTK GPS (sub mm accuracy) where an accurate clock to the likes of which is unprecedented is a requirement to solve the distance/time/azimuth from the gps satellites in orbit. 

I'd imagine a 1m run is ok.
If I get this fixed I plan on doing the same.

Could you measure the total height between the 2?  I see the published dimensions, but I wonder if that includes the feet.

Spoke with the teac representative on the phone. Apparently, there was an update to whatever board this is to v2 which won’t fit mine.

He gave the option of sending me a show display unit or a brand new one inbound on the water.

I took the inbound option with the v2 whatever...

Also comped me the clock generator.

Seems mid September is the target replacement  date.
He said he'll make it happen.  I'll end up paying something for the clock, but I dont suspect much.
I'm only speculating because the "official" board sent from Japan to replace whatever malfunctioned in mine won't fit.

After a conversation with teac_admin we both "assume" there must be a v2 being Teac Japan sent the correct part.  After quadruple checking Teac did indeed send the correct part, but doesn't fit the nt505 I own.

Take from that what you will.
again ..after confirming with Teac in Japan that they had sent the correct part.. both from teac support here and the teac repair facility in California.. the proper part doesn't exist.

the most simple explanation is that Teac changed the design which would indicate v2.
hey -

My replacement is due to be here tuesday october 6 via fedex ground.. No clock generator through... guess they forgot.  I don't mind through.
I'm debating doing just that, but I'm happy they've replaced with a brand new unit.

I'm tempted to pop it open and compare the internals to the photos I've found published... to confirm a change/update.
what greg said here - the LS100 manual states that xlr is wired "single ended" which essentially means there is no ground.

I suppose its possible that your speakers are wired in reverse, but I’m almost 100% certain that 2 hot would be standard positive in singled ended config.
thats not enough information. 1. what are you running the xlr to/through?
2. did you look at the equipment plug closely? Somewhere close to the plug typically says 1grd 2 whatever 3 whatever.

I still think the OS of whatever you’re using on your phone/tablet and/or router is lacking permissions to use the apps properly.

big greg - thanks

how good does it sound? Some folks gauge sq by price... a dual ak4497 dac on paper is nearly impossible to beat IMHO. Of course.. the dual ak4499 could outclass it on paper, but at this level we’re down to splitting hairs and total subjectivity. Anyone being objective would come to the same conclusion.

This nt505 has every component required to compete without the ultra luxury brand names. This thing checks every box I required minus the wanted color screen (see cary audio).

There is no way in heck the cary audio dual ak4497 streaming dac with color screen is worth almost triple the price of this.

I streamed our dsd rips via the oppo205 for a long while.. sounds great, but the nt505 is on another level. I totally understand why industry people reference the ak dacs as warm and velvety vs the ex9038pro being harsh.

My wife calls the nt505 mightymax.

My initial requirements: DSD512 via network (im not interested in assembling yet another pc to stream music whilst having a massive home NAS), Color screen, MQA, dual balanced dac, spotify (for my wife), tidal, qobuz.  Amazon and yahoo music would be a net plus, but unnecessary.  The dsd via network seems to be a difficult feature for whatever reason and very few streaming dacs have it.

I’m not much of a reviewer, but I’m a realist and a professional civil engineer. For me - it is what it is. Minus the hiccup I had being an early adopter with whatever problem the usb/network board acquired ... teac replaced it nearly free and even out of warranty. I can’t complain and this does everything I wanted it to.

I researched OCD style and nearly purchased a pioneer elite streamer from overseas until i stumbled upon the nt505.  After stumbling upon a few other streamers - ifi something with dsd1024, cary audio, etc, etc.. i kept coming back to this nt505.  

As it turns out .. mqa blows (subjective I guess) and the color screen is really unnecessary when using an ipad or smartphone as a controller.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

i didn't pick up the master clock yet, but I intend on buying when I get the chance.

The covid craziness has made simple things more difficult.