TEAC NT-505 impossible connecting to WiFi router o such LAN: help me please?

Hello mates,
I got my NT-505 3 days ago.
It seems to be working correctly but in my opinion all software in not the same level than the device: too aged & often no relevant documentation or support about.
However my big trouble is the NETWORK interface:  since first time I switched on, the NT-505 remains "for ever"  into NET configuring blinking state until it goes in power stand by.
Summarizing:

1. RJ45 cable is ok - tested in several manners
2. the wifi router (1Gb fiber connection) is ok
3. the wifi router ether ports (4) are ok - I checked a bridged LAN configuration too

Testing the NT-505 Ether port It results:

1. the physical level of protocol seems working correctly just on-way: the interface recognizes correctly the bandwidth (Fast ot Giga in my case) end the packet coming from the router are buffered. No packet sent  to the router.

2. At protocol level no ARP session are involved hence impossible retrieve MAC address and trying to do something.

VERY STUPID ISSUES:

1. Being NET board logically split from MAIN board It's need a separate firmware(!!!): how can I upload the NET firmware if, as stated into documentation, I must use the mobile app and It's impossible connecting the device to such LAN?

2. NO menu interface to configure manually the net parameters.

May someone help me (tricks..., recovery sw,..., low level maintance menu...,...) 

Thank you a lot.

silvio66

Showing 49 responses by trinhsman

How do you do it with the streamer app?  I have an IPad and IPhone and I can’t figufigure it out.  I also have a PC that I tried and got really messed up.  Stuck in the update mode over 3 hours.

I ended up calling the service center that worked on my unit.  They were nice enough to talk to me.  Told me I would have to unplug the unit and it was a 50/50 chance of not destroying a chip in the unit.  

Thankfully all was good, but I still don’t have my unit firmware updated.

Help doing it with a PC, or how the Streamer app might be able to do it?

I don't understand any issues with the Lumin or other apps.  Mine work just fine.  The only issue I will have sometimes is that my Ipad will be on one repeater I have and the NT-505 will be on another.  Sometimes that makes the app not want to recognize the NT-505.  Other times, there are no issues at all.  It goes in spurts. 
If I have a problem, I just make sure the NT-505 is plugged in and functioning and that my Ipad is connected to that same repeater. 
Question:  Are you streaming via Bluetooth with your Linn app?  If so, you are not getting the full potential of the NT-505.  The NT-505 needs to be in the NET mode for the Lumin app to work.  If you are in the Bluetooth mode, the app won't work. Just what I have found anyways.
So sorry to hear this.  I would go the "nuclear option" route now.  It might get their attention.  Don't wait.  Do it right away.
@kosta68k. Glad to hear.  Mine has been stable for about 4 months now, since its repair.  Any issues have been with the Lumin app or my internet service.  My fingers remain crossed also.
Other than the wait, it sounds like a good outcome.  Glad it worked out.  I knew if the right people were contacted it would.
The area you will find a difference is in large orchestral music.  Also, pay attention to the decay of the instruments.  Especially an acoustic guitar pluck.  Also, I noticed a more open sound stage.  On my equipment it just was bigger and more spacious sounding with the clock.  Like you say, not earth shattering, but it was there. 
That’s very strange.  I just had my unit repaired 2 moths ago.  Wonder what I have now.  It works well, but from time to time I have to do a reset on my router. 
Let us know when you get your new unit.
All the best!
I have an NT-505 that has now started to not connect to the network, as well as pair In Bluetooth.  I’ve done all the normal things to correct.  Reset, firmware upgrade.  Check directly with my router, but it will not work.  Have talked with Teac (Onkyo) support and they said I need to send it in to a service center. 
QUESTION:  Who did you talk to and how did you get a replacement done for your unit?  I just want a replacement and not have to wait months for a service center to do something.
ONE MORE THING:  A service center close to where I live, and suggested by Teac told me they don’t work on the NT-505.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ended up sending my unit to a regional service center in California.  I told them I had done research and there seemed to be some serious issues popping up like this.  They said they had not seen that, but would make sure my unit is repaired or replaced.  Told me 5-7 days before they can look at it.  The sad part is the dealer I bought the unit from basically told me they could do nothing other than tell me where to send the unit.  They never responded to my request for a replacement.  I opened a case via PayPal with them to try and get my shipping costs of 85.00 back, when I sent the unit in for repair.  They have ignored that also.  So, my advice is don’t buy anything from HiFi Heaven.
The regional service center I sent my unit to said they had not heard of the issue.  I may let them see this thread.
I’m still waiting on service on my unit.  I contacted the seller originally and they were absolutely no help.  Basically told me it was out of their hands and I had to go through Teac.  I have now opened a case with PayPal on them.  I’m out 85.00 to send the unit (under warranty) to a service center.  I also had problems start at 3 1/2 months, so I felt the seller should just replace the unit and they should work with Teac or any service center on the unit they replaced.  I’ll be contacting the service center this week to see where things stand.  
Agree on Adams Electronics.  They were first rate with me, and actually told me to call TEAC directly and tell them the service center said to call.  For some reason, once I did that, things moved quickly.  Here’s hoping your issues are resolved quickly.
i thought I had another issue with my unit last night.  It would not connect.  Ultimately determined the router and extender for the router needed to be re-set.  Once done, all was good.  In fact, for some reason, it actually sounded better than usual.
Update:  Was called by the service center yesterday and told my unit was repaired and being shipped back to me.  Should be here next week.  Was told it was the “usb board” that was bad.  Apparently that board controls all network connections.  They said they tested it 4 different days, several times each day after the repair and it connected each time.
On a note regarding the service center:  Adams Electronics in Huntington Beach, CA.  They were amazing.  Emailed me when they got the unit.  Called me when there was an issue with the part and told me to call Teac and tell them the problem and that they had told me to call.  I did and Teac stepped up and overnighted the part to the service center.  The service center also called me once the unit was repaired and told me how they wanted to test it before sending it out.  They also called me when they shipped the unit and emailed me tracking.  Now that is what a factory authorized service center should be like.  
If anything happens, push with Teac/Onkyo.  Teac is aware of this board failure, but doesn’t like to admit it.  I asked for supervisors when I talked with them.  It seemed to speed things up and get things moving.  Can’t wait to get the Teac back.  Been streaming some things through a Sony UBP X-1000ES.  It’s good, but no where what the Teac is capable of.
You will need to elevate your complaint at Teac to a supervisor.  Tell them what is going on and that the “regional service center” told you to call them.  Let them also know that this issue is being reported a lot on the Audiogon website and that it is obvious there is a quality control issue.  Remind them that a 2,000 dollar piece of equipment should not break this quickly and you know from another source that the part is available, IF THEY REALLY WANT TO HELP YOU.  
I did this and ended up getting the part next day aired to the service center.  I was originally told it would take 2-3 weeks.  The part is there, IMHO.  I just believe they are having issues and trying to manage where the parts are going to.  Kind of like toilet paper :)
I also have the CG-10M clock.  I was to
d by my dealer and a long time Audio nerd that, that combination comes very close to the Esoteric streamer.  
I have noticed it depends on the quality of the material streamed and how complex the music is.  For the most part is is only subtle.  Occasionally it is really great.  I am personally of the opinion that equipment upstream has a lot on how much you will hear.  If I were to make a suggestion, a dealer with a strong return policy would be best.  That way if you don’t like it you can send it back.  In my case I was going for the best price, so that was not an option unless I wanted a restock fee applied.  
I wish you well.
I got my unit back today.  Wasn’t supposed to be here till Monday and I was supposed to have to sign for it.  Wife and I went to the grocery store.  When we got back, FedEx had put it down by my garage door.
Hooked it up and first try it locked on to the internet.  I was concerned because I had changed out the repeater to a better one that has more Ethernet ports and is supposed to be much faster.  
So far it is working great.  The tech left the songs he tested on the unit.  Can’t be a bad guy, likes Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc.  
Keeping my fingers crossed this will be a long term fix.
I forgot just how good this thing is.  Amazing sound.  Even the wife says it sounds better.
Further update:  Unit worked flawlessly over the weekend.  I did notice the tech had messed with the units app settings.  Couldn't make Spotify work, then discovered the settings had been changed.  Once changed, everything is perfect.  So far, so good.
Further update: working great.  I did have an issue connecting via Bluetooth.  Found I had to delete all devices from my iPhone and iPad, then re-connect.  Not sure why, but that’s what it took to make Bluetooth work.  The NET works great.  I also have the CG-10M clock and together this really sounds amazing.
My wireless repeater works great with mine.  I use a Cat8 Ethernet cable and the repeater is a top of the line Netgear model, rated as one of the best.  No drop outs ever, even when I was updating my GPS maps and streaming music at the same time at HiRez.
@love_that_sound:Here's what Teac just sent back to me after I sent them and email regarding your problem.

Hello Mr. Adams.

If someone can provide me with a complete serial number for the NT-505 in question, we can look into this immediately and determine where the holdup lies with regards to furnishing parts. Our parts supply here in the U.S. is replenished by the factory overseas. Given the NT-505 is a current model in production, there should be no issue with the existence of parts.   Could a part be out of stock here locally? Yes. Many things are impacted by Covid-19 and the steadiness of supply chains is certainly no exception.

As an owner of an NT-505 and CG-10M yourself, I can put your mind at ease by telling you that whatever you are alluding to that is being touted in the forums is not even remotely close to accurate.

Teac Tech Support

Onkyo USA Corporation

Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:54 AM
To: TEACUSA Teac Admin <teacadmin@teac-usa.com>
Subject: TEAC Support Issue

Send your serial number and information to the Teac email address in my previous post.  They seem to want to get this fixed for you.
UPDATE:  Teac has now responded to me again.  This response was based on my experience when I got my unit repaired.  They are very concerned and want people to reach out to them directly at the email in my previous posts.  You can mention my name if you wish:  Ernie Adams.They seem to want to get this resolved. 
I'm of the opinion that either of two things is happening. 
1. The distributors are not following through on problems.2. There is a supply chain issue with parts/ relating to Covid.Not sure, but they have now sent me two long emails and seem very concerned.
Call Teac again and up your call to a supervisor.  Let them know this issue is now very well mentioned on audio forums.  If you get the right person, you will get some help.
The authorized service center in Huntington Beach, California did my repair.  First rate.  
About 2 weeks.  I live in Georgia.  Sent it out and they had it for 2-3 days before looking at it.  Diagnosed the issue and had problems getting the part.  They told me to call Teac.  I did, and told Teac that “their” authorized service center had told me to call them.  At that point I was able to speak to a supervisor.  I told them the problem and that there were lots of comments being placed online on an Audio Forum about this issue.  He had me hold while he checked on parts.  He then got back to me and said they would overnight the part to the service center.  After that it was about 5 days for the repair and 3-4 days return shipping.  
One more thing to try, if you haven’t.  Make sure the firmware is up to date.  It has helped some people.  
The service center in Atlanta told me they don’t work on the Teac NT-505.  So I decided to go the “regional service center” route, since I felt they would have more expertise.  To me they did.  Scared me to send my unit that far, but I double boxed, using the factory packaging.
Not sure who I spoke to, but they were a class act.  Also, understand they now have experience with this issue.
Call Teac.  Get in touch with someone about a repair for you.  Then ask to speak to their supervisor.  Tell them your problem and that there are numerous threads online about this issue.  THEY ARE AWARE OF THIS. Don’t back down and let them know you expect them to stand behind a 2,000 dollar item that is only a few months old.  If you’re lucky, you will get a replacement unit.  At the least they will suggest a service center for repair.  I don’t k own what is available in Canada, but in the states, Adams Electronics in California has experience with this repair.
i wish you luck.
My unit was repaired and is now flawless.
Mine did have a bad board.  However, I ended up getting a top line Netgear extender.  Not sure of model, but it’s their best one.  Once my unit was fixed, and with the Netgear extender, and wired directly to it, everything works great.  Occasionally I get a freeze up, but a quick turn off and wait 30 seconds before turning on fixes everything.  I also use a Cat8 Cable.
Once my unit was fixed, all is good.  I’m just surprised that Teac seems to be ignoring the issue, when there is a fix that works.
i have contacted Teac Corporate via email, explaining these issues and that there is a multitude of negative comments on this unit now online.  I am waiting for a response.  I’m hopeful someone will step up to the plate on this.  The NT-505 with the CG-10M clock is scary good, when working properly.  In fact my local dealer, that sells the Esoteric line says the combo hangs with the Esoteric streamers.  
Im still going to keep ruffling feathers on this.
I knew this could get handled.  Stay in touch.  Also, bug them a bit from time to time.  Sqweaky wheel thing, you know.
When the emailed me, they seemed very concerned.
Lets hope this gets fixed quickly now.
I have the CG-10M clock.  To me it was a subtle difference.  The best way to describe it was a more real sound of the instruments.  Hoping all of the NT-505 issues get worked out soon.  Teac emailed me again and thanked me for bringing this to their attention.  I emailed back telling them a post on here from them would do a lot to help.  Let’s hope these issues are now being addressed fully.
I bought a BNC cable from Silnote on Audiogon.  Initially I used a generic cable from EBay.  Both got the job done.  One thing I wouldn’t skip on though is the Ethernet cable.  I got a Cat8 cable.
Teac Service reached out to me regarding the type of cable to use with the clock. Apparently, when the system was developed, the designers used a 50ohm BNC Cable.  The factory says both 50 and 75 ohm will work fine.  I’m debating ordering a 50ohm Cable just to try.
Yes, any updates?  My unit is still behaving great after the repair at Adams Electronics in California.  
I’m doing the exact same thing with both the HR app and Lumin app.  Works very well.  Hopefully someone with more technical chime in.
I use RCA's and everything works great.  Not sure on the XLR's.  Wondering if there is a setting in the menu for this.  Teac is not great with their owners manual for this player.  A lot of stuff is trial and error IMHO. 
However, if memory serves, when I was setting up my player, there was a setting for RCA''s.  I do remember seeing something like that in the menu.I wish you well.
This is one of the real major problems with the NT-505.  The owners manual really sucks big time.  So hard to really figure this thing out.  I spent an hour on the phone with an expert on this unit to figure out how to do just a couple of things I wanted to do.
Mine is still doing great after the repair. 
A lot of playing with the menu will help you figure this thing out. 
I have the clock.  I think on complex orchestral music there is an improvement.  Not so sure on other stuff.  To me it is a crap shoot, but if the price is right, worth doing.

UPDATE:

Teac has finally come out with a firmware update to the NT-505. I haven’t downloaded it yet.  I need a connector to do it and I can’t find the one I used last time.

Also, the Lumin app and Teac streamer app have an upgrade also.

Just be aware that one you upgrade, it may log you off Tidal.  If all of a sudden you can’t play songs you have saved from Tidal, check to see if you are logged in.

Good luck people.