TEAC NT-505 impossible connecting to WiFi router o such LAN: help me please?

Hello mates,
I got my NT-505 3 days ago.
It seems to be working correctly but in my opinion all software in not the same level than the device: too aged & often no relevant documentation or support about.
However my big trouble is the NETWORK interface:  since first time I switched on, the NT-505 remains "for ever"  into NET configuring blinking state until it goes in power stand by.
Summarizing:

1. RJ45 cable is ok - tested in several manners
2. the wifi router (1Gb fiber connection) is ok
3. the wifi router ether ports (4) are ok - I checked a bridged LAN configuration too

Testing the NT-505 Ether port It results:

1. the physical level of protocol seems working correctly just on-way: the interface recognizes correctly the bandwidth (Fast ot Giga in my case) end the packet coming from the router are buffered. No packet sent  to the router.

2. At protocol level no ARP session are involved hence impossible retrieve MAC address and trying to do something.

VERY STUPID ISSUES:

1. Being NET board logically split from MAIN board It's need a separate firmware(!!!): how can I upload the NET firmware if, as stated into documentation, I must use the mobile app and It's impossible connecting the device to such LAN?

2. NO menu interface to configure manually the net parameters.

May someone help me (tricks..., recovery sw,..., low level maintance menu...,...) 

Thank you a lot.

silvio66
I'm going to stack the CG-10M and NT-505, so I only need about a foot.  I found an inexpensive 50 ohm cable from a place called Thorlabs.  I contacted a few cable manufacturers and they all said "no" when I asked if they had any 50 ohm offerings.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference between it and the 75 ohm cable I ordered from BJC.  Or if the CG-10M even makes any difference.
If I get this fixed I plan on doing the same.

Could you measure the total height between the 2?  I see the published dimensions, but I wonder if that includes the feet.
Teac Service reached out to me regarding the type of cable to use with the clock. Apparently, when the system was developed, the designers used a 50ohm BNC Cable.  The factory says both 50 and 75 ohm will work fine.  I’m debating ordering a 50ohm Cable just to try.
I have both, just waiting for the clock to show up tomorrow.  I'll let you know if I can tell any difference between them.

Spoke with the teac representative on the phone. Apparently, there was an update to whatever board this is to v2 which won’t fit mine.

He gave the option of sending me a show display unit or a brand new one inbound on the water.

I took the inbound option with the v2 whatever...

Also comped me the clock generator.

Seems mid September is the target replacement  date.
Well, that sounds like a nice outcome!  Now I wish mine had been broken and I would have gotten a free master clock!
He said he'll make it happen.  I'll end up paying something for the clock, but I dont suspect much.
Other than the wait, it sounds like a good outcome.  Glad it worked out.  I knew if the right people were contacted it would.
I hooked up my clock last night with the 50 ohm cable.  It does seem to sound better, but nothing night and day.  It seems like there's a little more "PRAT" and an even larger soundstage, but it might be my imagination.  It sounded so good already before the clock.  I didn't try to do any A/B testing and will listen with the 50 ohm cable for a while before trying the 75 ohm cable to see if that makes any difference.
Thanks for the help.

We have a pair of jbl everest powered by Bob carver crimson 350 tubes...

The teac nt505 is a legit dac ... I too am interested in clock results.
I'll let you guys know.  I plan to just listen for a couple of days or so before changing cables or disconnecting the clock.  The one thing I didn't mention is that I also noticed a few details in songs I'm very familiar with.  I made a little playlist of songs I know very well and listened to those last night.  I thought it sounded great, but not in any dramatic way.  The difference was subtle enough that it could have just been confirmation bias or that I was listening more intently than normal.  That's why I like to give things a few days.
I'm embarrassed and amused to report that whatever I heard on that first night of listening with the CG-10M was purely confirmation bias.  I realized last night that I had not enabled the setting on the NT-505 to use the CG-10M as the clock.  I did a little listening last night with it enabled, still nothing earth shattering.
The area you will find a difference is in large orchestral music.  Also, pay attention to the decay of the instruments.  Especially an acoustic guitar pluck.  Also, I noticed a more open sound stage.  On my equipment it just was bigger and more spacious sounding with the clock.  Like you say, not earth shattering, but it was there. 
So did I read it correctly that Teac will be releasing a v2 of the NT-505?  Is that confirmed or speculation?  Thx
I'm only speculating because the "official" board sent from Japan to replace whatever malfunctioned in mine won't fit.

After a conversation with teac_admin we both "assume" there must be a v2 being Teac Japan sent the correct part.  After quadruple checking Teac did indeed send the correct part, but doesn't fit the nt505 I own.

Take from that what you will.
love_that_sound
... After quadruple checking Teac did indeed send the correct part, but doesn't fit the nt505 I own.
If it doesn't fit, it can't be the correct part.
again ..after confirming with Teac in Japan that they had sent the correct part.. both from teac support here and the teac repair facility in California.. the proper part doesn't exist.

the most simple explanation is that Teac changed the design which would indicate v2.
That’s very strange.  I just had my unit repaired 2 moths ago.  Wonder what I have now.  It works well, but from time to time I have to do a reset on my router. 
Let us know when you get your new unit.
All the best!
I'd be asking for a replacement unit if they can't supply the correct part.  What a strange odyssey.  
That's great to hear but sucks that it took so long to get straightened out.  I haven't much time to listen the last few days, but I'm still not hearing much difference with the CG-10M.  
I believe there are a number of defective NT-505 out there concerning not being able to connect to the Network. Mine was fine for a few months then began a develop a sporadic issue of not connecting and final the unit just would not connect no matter what dance I performed. It was sent to the US authorized repair facility and came back and connected. I have not had a connection issue since, however now I am having issues with ROON not recognizes the unit as ROON certified. Prior to sending it for repair it was being recognized by ROON but after the original firmware update that included ROON certification. I believe ROON is not recognizing the TEAC due to a ROON update. I tried using the TEAC program but this would not work so I am hoping if I can reconnect to my PC and go through all the steps I did originally to set it up and upload the firmware again ROON will recognize the TEAC, but this is a big pain so I haven't done it yet. Using the TEAC with ROON now is only using Apple Air Play, which sounds OK but not as good as ROON's native file transfer program.

When this unit is working properly it sounded extremely refined and interfaced with ROON and Tidal beautifully. I have an Auralec DAC/Streamer and a Bystron DAC and the TEAC rates right up there with them. Each has their own sound signature and I love them all. Unfortunately the TEAC seems to be the most complicated of the bunch to set up and get going initially and there does seem to be some units floating around that have a network connectivity issue that needs the factory or an authorized TEAC repair facility to fix.
Concerning the external clock, form all I spoke to and from reviews I read where these people have had experience with the external clock the opinion is the clock does not make enough of a difference to warrant its expense for a home hi-fi setting and that it is directed more towards a professional environment.
Yes, any updates?  My unit is still behaving great after the repair at Adams Electronics in California.  
hey -

My replacement is due to be here tuesday october 6 via fedex ground.. No clock generator through... guess they forgot.  I don't mind through.
I don't think you're going to miss anything with the clock generator.  I bought one and if there's a difference in sound quality, it's not very noticeable.  If you have it in writing that they said they were going to give you one though, I'd push back on that and hold them to their word.
I'm debating doing just that, but I'm happy they've replaced with a brand new unit.

I'm tempted to pop it open and compare the internals to the photos I've found published... to confirm a change/update.
Hi, does anyone have problem with controlling apps for NT-505, Teac HR streamer app, Lumin app, Esoteric app? Those apps is pretty much universal and identical and suppose to work with Teac NT-505... I don’t have any problem with LAN network connectivity, but my issue is: I can’t use any of those apps with my Teac NT-505 because the apps won’t work properly... when I try to start new Tidal album or new track the apps just won’t respond and nothing happens, however Linn app works just fine. While Tidal album started and played by Linn app I can actually paused and skip tracks with Lumin app, Teac HR streamer app or Esoteric app but again I can’t start new album or track with those apps. Only Linn app works properly, although this app is for totality different unit and not even have to be supported by NT-505... any suggestions how to fix it and make OEM apps works?
Surfmuz... that sounds like a network/permissions issue with your controller (phone/tablet).

My nt505 replacement arrived today... sounds as great as i remember.
Network sign on the unit is very accurate always stable, newer drop off or skip streaming, show’s MQA and non MQA info and works flawlessly with Linn app but only with Linn White and Linn Kazoo app... doesn’t look like network problem.  I tried everything... reboot of streamer, phone, tablet and router, apps kill and reinstall, streamer firmware update... nothing helped.
As soon as it doesn’t affect SQ, I’m ok with using non original App..i don't think it matters ?!
I don't understand any issues with the Lumin or other apps.  Mine work just fine.  The only issue I will have sometimes is that my Ipad will be on one repeater I have and the NT-505 will be on another.  Sometimes that makes the app not want to recognize the NT-505.  Other times, there are no issues at all.  It goes in spurts. 
If I have a problem, I just make sure the NT-505 is plugged in and functioning and that my Ipad is connected to that same repeater. 
Question:  Are you streaming via Bluetooth with your Linn app?  If so, you are not getting the full potential of the NT-505.  The NT-505 needs to be in the NET mode for the Lumin app to work.  If you are in the Bluetooth mode, the app won't work. Just what I have found anyways.
No, I’m streaming Tidal with my NT-505 via LAN Ethernet with 8cat cable using Linn White app. 
I’m doing the exact same thing with both the HR app and Lumin app.  Works very well.  Hopefully someone with more technical chime in.
Another topic: I’m using XLR Balanced output of my NT-505, but at Line Out select mode we have two options for XLR (Hot 2) and (Hot 3) I have no idea which type apply to my cable and both selection choices r works the same providing signal passing through. Is right choice of XLR output type actually matters?
thats not enough information. 1. what are you running the xlr to/through?
2. did you look at the equipment plug closely? Somewhere close to the plug typically says 1grd 2 whatever 3 whatever.

I still think the OS of whatever you’re using on your phone/tablet and/or router is lacking permissions to use the apps properly.

I’m running the XLRs from NT-505 to Modwright LS-100 tube preamp but Plugs doesn’t  say anything. 
I use RCA's and everything works great.  Not sure on the XLR's.  Wondering if there is a setting in the menu for this.  Teac is not great with their owners manual for this player.  A lot of stuff is trial and error IMHO. 
However, if memory serves, when I was setting up my player, there was a setting for RCA''s.  I do remember seeing something like that in the menu.I wish you well.
I use the default XLR setting (Pin 2 I think).  I also have the Modwright LS100.  I'm not sure if it matters on the LS100 since it isn't truly "balanced", but if it does, your polarity will be inverted if you use the wrong setting.  I'd send Dan Wright an email and ask him which setting to use if you're concerned.

https://www.prosoundtraining.com/2010/03/11/which-pin-is-hot-and-when-does-it-matter/

what greg said here - the LS100 manual states that xlr is wired "single ended" which essentially means there is no ground.

I suppose its possible that your speakers are wired in reverse, but I’m almost 100% certain that 2 hot would be standard positive in singled ended config.
To know which setting to select on the Teac XLR output, you need to know what the input device (e.g., amp, preamp, active speakers, etc) is expecting with respect to the XLR hot pin, and set accordingly.
Quick update after 4 months use of my replacement NT-505.

Wanted to quickly share my experience with my NT505. I've been controlling/listening to it via Roon, and so far the replacement unit works excellent. The sound is amazing! I really don't have a good base for comparison as all my previous DACs were from a way lower class, but I think for now I'm set and done with chasing the perfect DAC, as I can clearly see this is a quite deep rabbit whole :)

And to wrap it up... Based on my personal experience so far, and all mentioned in this thread so far, I just hope and keep my fingers crossed my unit will stay stable and I will not have any need for customer support as that thought just scares the living hell out of me.
Stay safe everyone!