TEAC NT-505 impossible connecting to WiFi router o such LAN: help me please?

Hello mates,
I got my NT-505 3 days ago.
It seems to be working correctly but in my opinion all software in not the same level than the device: too aged & often no relevant documentation or support about.
However my big trouble is the NETWORK interface:  since first time I switched on, the NT-505 remains "for ever"  into NET configuring blinking state until it goes in power stand by.
Summarizing:

1. RJ45 cable is ok - tested in several manners
2. the wifi router (1Gb fiber connection) is ok
3. the wifi router ether ports (4) are ok - I checked a bridged LAN configuration too

Testing the NT-505 Ether port It results:

1. the physical level of protocol seems working correctly just on-way: the interface recognizes correctly the bandwidth (Fast ot Giga in my case) end the packet coming from the router are buffered. No packet sent  to the router.

2. At protocol level no ARP session are involved hence impossible retrieve MAC address and trying to do something.

VERY STUPID ISSUES:

1. Being NET board logically split from MAIN board It's need a separate firmware(!!!): how can I upload the NET firmware if, as stated into documentation, I must use the mobile app and It's impossible connecting the device to such LAN?

2. NO menu interface to configure manually the net parameters.

May someone help me (tricks..., recovery sw,..., low level maintance menu...,...) 

Thank you a lot.

silvio66

Showing 26 responses by kren0006

Correct, what audiojedi said. It says it is doing an initial update when you initially get going but that is just the phone app.

To do the firmware upgrade to the NT-505 itself you need to use a PC (not mac) and use a physical cable to connect to the little micro USB port on the back at bottom just above the word "Digital" (which is confusing because the "Digital In" label refers to the optical input, not the micro USB, which isn’t labeled).
Make sure to use Lumin software app, not the Teac software app for control. Lumin app is more stable and is compatible with the player.

I also haven’t had any trouble with my NT-505. Although I did have trouble initially updating to current firmware version. I was connecting to the USB (the larger one labeled USB) on the back rather than the micro USB (very small, unlabeled, near bottom), but once I figured that out it was good. Sorry can’t tell from your last post whether you have successfully updated to current version or not.

@audiojedi did you mean version 1.21 firmware, or did your really mean 1.22? Isn’t 1.21 the latest?
EDIT:  Nevermind, I see that 1.22 came out now.

OP, sorry for my basic descriptions but you know the NT-505 doesn’t have wifi, correct? It is Ethernet only. No wifi. I think your references to wifi in your post refer to your wireless router, just wanting to make sure you got that which I’m sure you do.
What cat level Ethernet cable are you using? (Eg, cat 7?). Assuming you’ve already tried a couple different Ethernet cables right?
So I doubt this is the issue, but FWIW when I used a 1m Cat6 Ethernet cable with my NT-505 I would get Tidal music dropouts every hour or so.

Then I upgraded to Cat7 Ethernet cable (1m) and I never get dropouts now. I use a simple AmazonBasics Cat7 Ethernet cable that I paid $7 for.
badger,
Yes, I find it to be a fantastic unit for its $2k price. Full MQA, yes. I run mine with balanced XLR’s to Audio Research integrated amp.

Dual monaural AK4497 dacs, dual torriodal power supplies, fully balanced, two on-board clocks (with provision to receive an external 10MHz clock if you want additional performance), DSD 512, outstanding analog output section, several filter and upsample selection options (or option for none), Lumin software, Roon ready, .... Incredible value. I’d love to hear it compared to a Lumin T2 at $4.5k msrp - wish I had access to one to do a shootout.

Other than the occasional dropout issue I was having first month, which was 100% solved by going to Cat 7 Ethernet cable, my unit has been entirely trouble free for me, and it gets heavy use. 
So did I read it correctly that Teac will be releasing a v2 of the NT-505?  Is that confirmed or speculation?  Thx
Sorry that you guys/gals are having trouble. Before this issue I’d never heard of any NT-505 trouble, but I guess it’s probably not that widely owned. Hope Teac gets it fixed or replaces the defective units.

Since I’ve not had any trouble in a year running version 1.21 firmware, I’m sticking with that and not flashing to the 1.22 version. Indeed, I have a lot more trouble with my Bluesound unit than I ever have with my Teac, which has been (knock on wood) flawless for me -
Maybe try version 1.21 firmware if you haven’t already?? Which if I recall was from December 2018.
I did notice an improvement going from the shipped firmware version to 1.21. Mainly more stable in terms of dropouts during play is what I found after the switch which I did a week after getting unit if I recall
I didn’t even know v1.22 existed because on the Teac Europe site they don’t have 1.22, just 1.21.
Wonder why that would be? That’s why initially when you guys started talking about 1.22 I didn’t understand what you were talking about.

in the year I’ve owned mine I never visited the Japan site, only Europe and was always thinking I was current with v1.21. 

Now if you really want to be sure you are getting the version that’s worked great for me, pull 1.21 from the Europe site and skip the Japan site. How bizarre would that be if there were slight differences? Ugh, probably overthinking it ... But still odd to me that EP site no mention of 1.22
Congrats bigfanga. Yep, it’s a great sounding dac/streamer!  I also strongly prefer the AK dac sound to the ESS options I've heard.  But a lot of the Teac's goodness also comes from all the other Esoteric-trickle-down (Teac is parent co. of Esoteric) technology that it has that I mention above, but yeah the AK4497's are great.

big_greg, good luck!
OP,
Bummer - sorry to hear that. No suggestions for alternative but whatever you decide, let us know what you get and how you like it. Good luck!
No, sorry, no experience with Roon.

I saw on another NT-505 thread that a chap got the Teac CG-10M 10MHz external clock to add to the NT-505 and reported that it made it better than an Auralic Vega G1. I don’t know if I can justify the added cost though .... Wish there were more reports of the external clock making a big difference.  
Seems that a lot of folks starting to have issues. Odd because for last year didn’t see really any problems on forums. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hope Teac replaces or fixes the bad units
Same here (no issues) for me, but I've had mine for about a year.  Maybe something changed in manufacturing or something and more recent ones are more susceptible to issues?
I just upgraded my cable modem and switched to Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable, and had Xfinity run Coax11 as upgrade from Coax6 from street to side of house, and my Teac NT-505 is still running trouble-free after more than a year.

Head-to-head against my Cambridge Azur 851n, it just blows the Azur away in sound quality (although the CA’s display with album artwork is nice).

Glad that Teac is getting these things fixed for those who had problems.

I’d still love to see someone do a head-to-head shootout between the Teac NT-505 and the $4.5k Lumin T2 at more than double the Teac’s $2k msrp.

Hmmm. Interesting. I’ve seen several reports where owners noticed a good improvement and others like you who did not. 

I said 20 MHz above but meant 10 MHz. 

Yeah I guess we’ll see. Maybe if a good sale pops up. For now it sounds great stock. I still have been leery to download latest firmware
Thanks.  Yikes.  That is scary.  I purchased mine in May 2019.  Good luck with getting replacement/fix.
@love_that_sound :

You said you had your nt-505 for one year heavy use before issue started.  That has me nervous as I have also had mine now for about 14 months.

Did the problem for you come on gradually (periodic difficulties connecting but eventually it would after a bit), or did it fall off a cliff and all of a sudden not work at all out of the blue?

Thanks -
To know which setting to select on the Teac XLR output, you need to know what the input device (e.g., amp, preamp, active speakers, etc) is expecting with respect to the XLR hot pin, and set accordingly.
I still like mine so much that I’m now seriously considering going down the next rabbit hoe- the Teac cg-10m separate 20MHz clock - to take it even to the next level. 
18 months for me zero issues
Anyone have a good sense about how much higher on the cost ladder one has to climb to beat the NT/505 in sound quality?

I’ve heard those who’ve owned both say PS Audio DS Sr beats it at $6.9k. 
Anything lower cost than that?
Teac just released a new flagship streamer dac that uses delta sigma conversion. Not sure if available in US. EP and JP sites disclose. 
Hard to tell but I think quite a bit more expensive than the NT505 was

Is this problem fixable any more by Teac or a qualified technician? I think early in the thread it was possible to replace a board within the unit, if memory serves. Has anyone dug in recently to see if that is still an option for this ethernet connection issue?

I'm nervous that I'm right on the heels of those having the issue