TEAC NT-505 impossible connecting to WiFi router o such LAN: help me please?

Hello mates,
I got my NT-505 3 days ago.
It seems to be working correctly but in my opinion all software in not the same level than the device: too aged & often no relevant documentation or support about.
However my big trouble is the NETWORK interface:  since first time I switched on, the NT-505 remains "for ever"  into NET configuring blinking state until it goes in power stand by.
Summarizing:

1. RJ45 cable is ok - tested in several manners
2. the wifi router (1Gb fiber connection) is ok
3. the wifi router ether ports (4) are ok - I checked a bridged LAN configuration too

Testing the NT-505 Ether port It results:

1. the physical level of protocol seems working correctly just on-way: the interface recognizes correctly the bandwidth (Fast ot Giga in my case) end the packet coming from the router are buffered. No packet sent  to the router.

2. At protocol level no ARP session are involved hence impossible retrieve MAC address and trying to do something.

VERY STUPID ISSUES:

1. Being NET board logically split from MAIN board It's need a separate firmware(!!!): how can I upload the NET firmware if, as stated into documentation, I must use the mobile app and It's impossible connecting the device to such LAN?

2. NO menu interface to configure manually the net parameters.

May someone help me (tricks..., recovery sw,..., low level maintance menu...,...) 

Thank you a lot.

silvio66

Showing 43 responses by big_greg

You can do the update from the TEAC HR Streamer App. I’m doing it now.

EDIT:  This is only for the network software, not the device firmware.  My bad.

Well, it seemed like a good time to get a discounted price on the CG-10M Master Clock Generator.  Fingers crossed!

I did the update to both of mine and all went smoothly.  Thanks for letting us know about the update!  I've been using Roon and it doesn't tell me there's an update available like the Teac or Lumin apps would.  I haven't had a chance to listen yet, other than to make sure they both still work. 

There's an interesting menu addition called "sound" that gives you four options, including "Live", "Rich Harmonics", "Fast Attack", and Neutral.  It'll be interesting to see what, if anything those do.  

Looks like it's also a preamp and headphone amp. Still no digital out so that you can use an external DAC.
As long as science says it will work, and it measures well... that's all I care about.
I'll let you guys know.  I plan to just listen for a couple of days or so before changing cables or disconnecting the clock.  The one thing I didn't mention is that I also noticed a few details in songs I'm very familiar with.  I made a little playlist of songs I know very well and listened to those last night.  I thought it sounded great, but not in any dramatic way.  The difference was subtle enough that it could have just been confirmation bias or that I was listening more intently than normal.  That's why I like to give things a few days.
I hooked up my clock last night with the 50 ohm cable.  It does seem to sound better, but nothing night and day.  It seems like there's a little more "PRAT" and an even larger soundstage, but it might be my imagination.  It sounded so good already before the clock.  I didn't try to do any A/B testing and will listen with the 50 ohm cable for a while before trying the 75 ohm cable to see if that makes any difference.
I've been following this thread and one of the things I realized was that I hadn't updated the firmware on the device.  I did that yesterday, and now I can't connect to it, with the Lumin app or BubbleUPnP.  Strangely, I can cast from Spotify to it with no problem.  I'm about to do a factory reset.  

To badger... I upgraded from a Bluesound Node 2/Auralic Vega DAC to the NT-505 and it was a noticeable jump in sound quality, imaging, and soundstage.  Yes, it does MQA.  I really like it, other than my current frustration, which could be an issue with my network.  I've been having some other issues and am not sure if it's the TEAC or the network at this point.  I've ordered a new router and will see if that clears up all the issues I've been having.
I'm embarrassed and amused to report that whatever I heard on that first night of listening with the CG-10M was purely confirmation bias.  I realized last night that I had not enabled the setting on the NT-505 to use the CG-10M as the clock.  I did a little listening last night with it enabled, still nothing earth shattering.
I've been keeping an eye on this thread, because in this one or another I saw that there was a firmware update available that I hadn't installed.  After I did, I started having a ton of issues getting and staying connected to the NT-505.

My setup is a little different than most in that I have mine connected wirelessly, using a Wireless Access Point configured as a client and then connecting that to a four port switch that I have the NT-505, my Oppo BD player, my TV, and my Roku connected to.  I've been having some issues with my router (waiting for a replacement) and thought that might be the issue.  

I removed the switch and connected the NT-505 directly to the WAP and it seems to be functioning without any issues for about a day now.  I really like mine, but it's troubling to hear of so many issues.  I'm hoping the new router and a new WAP will fix my issues.  It did work OK when I ran a long ethernet cable directly from my router, so it may be that it's an issue with my home network.  I was also having issues streaming Netflix on the Roku, so I'm not convinced it's a problem with my NT-505 yet.
I had the 1.01 firmware, or whatever it was that it came with and other than some initial issues when I first got it, no problems until I upgraded the firmware.  I still think my issue might be network related though, so I'm withholding judgment for now.
Since I took the 4 port switch out of the chain, mine has been working perfectly.  Still waiting for my new router, but I think the switch was the problem in my case, not the NT-505.  Let's hope I don't jinx myself now!
@bigfanga I think the switch just gave up the ghost.  I was having some issues with my Roku also, and letting it connect to wireless eliminated those issues.
May you suggest a valid alternative? I am thinking of a beautiful ESOTERIC (eheheheh).
You know that Esoteric is part of TEAC?

From the Esoteric website:  "In order to bring the highest level musical experience to demanding audiophiles, TEAC launched the "ESOTERIC" brand which exclusively engineered and manufactured high end audio products."

When I was looking at streamers the other one I was looking at was Lumin - either the D2 (streamer + DAC) or U1 Mini (streamer only).  I found a good deal and went with the TEAC instead.

Why don't you just try exchanging the TEAC, it sounds like you got a defective one?

I agree that they should have sent you a replacement unit by now if they can't find the part.  

I bought my CG-10M on ebay from the authorized TEAC store on ebay.  I had a question about the BNC cable and they got back to me within a few hours.  

Which leads to a question for those of you that have the CG-10M... what cable are you using?  I ordered an inexpensive BJC 75 ohm cable, but TEAC says it is better to use a 50 ohm cable.  I either see super cheapo 50 ohn cables, or $700 - $2000 cables.  I'd like to get a quality cable, but not spend as much as I spent on the CG-10M on a cable.
I'd be asking for a replacement unit if they can't supply the correct part.  What a strange odyssey.  
I have been having problems with mine as well and have tried a number of things including a new router, firmware updates, factory resets, different cables, etc.  The problem seems to be a result of using a wireless client to establish the connection.  I ran an ethernet cable to it a couple of days ago and it has been stable since then.  I've connected my Roku, TV, home theater pre-processor, and Oppo to the wireless client and they all worked, so I'm stymied by why it won't work with the TEAC, but that seems to be the issue in my case at least.

Before doing that I had put in a support ticket with TEAC.  When they replied, I asked why it wouldn't work with a wireless client and will post an update once I hear back from them.  
This is what I got back from TEAC regarding using the NT-505 with a wireless client:

I’m suspecting network congestion on the wireless network may have contributed to the issue you were having. This is why the Ethernet connection resolved it.
I haven't had any issues with mine since I ran an ethernet cable to it and upgraded firmware.  Rock solid.
I'm going to stack the CG-10M and NT-505, so I only need about a foot.  I found an inexpensive 50 ohm cable from a place called Thorlabs.  I contacted a few cable manufacturers and they all said "no" when I asked if they had any 50 ohm offerings.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any difference between it and the 75 ohm cable I ordered from BJC.  Or if the CG-10M even makes any difference.
@trinhsman Have you done comparisons with and without the clock?  Can you describe the differences?  I've thought about getting the clock, but wonder if it's a subtle or noticeable difference in sound quality.
@love_that_sound Have you tried contacting any of the authorized service centers listed on TEAC's page to see if any of them have the board or access to it?

https://www.teac-usa.com/authorized-service-centers/

My NT-505 is still going strong and sounds great. All these support issues are pretty bad though. What a black eye for TEAC.
Mine has been rock solid for a month now since I ran a cable to it and stopped trying to get out to work with a wireless repeater. 
I used kind of a cheapo repeater, but it worked fine with my blue sound node 2 and a number of other devices. All good now that I ran a wire to it. No reason it shouldn't work with a repeater, it was probably an issue with my repeater or my router. 
I have both, just waiting for the clock to show up tomorrow.  I'll let you know if I can tell any difference between them.
@uberwaltz I just spent 1000 bucks on that thing, so I'll hear a difference.  Whether I do or not.  That's how it works, right?
Well, that sounds like a nice outcome!  Now I wish mine had been broken and I would have gotten a free master clock!
That's great to hear but sucks that it took so long to get straightened out.  I haven't much time to listen the last few days, but I'm still not hearing much difference with the CG-10M.  
I don't think you're going to miss anything with the clock generator.  I bought one and if there's a difference in sound quality, it's not very noticeable.  If you have it in writing that they said they were going to give you one though, I'd push back on that and hold them to their word.
I use the default XLR setting (Pin 2 I think).  I also have the Modwright LS100.  I'm not sure if it matters on the LS100 since it isn't truly "balanced", but if it does, your polarity will be inverted if you use the wrong setting.  I'd send Dan Wright an email and ask him which setting to use if you're concerned.

https://www.prosoundtraining.com/2010/03/11/which-pin-is-hot-and-when-does-it-matter/

@kren0006 My NT-505 has been perfect since I ran a CAT-8 cable to it.  I did not notice much if any difference adding the CG-10M.  You might be wasting your money.
Here's how to use Tunein.  I use the Lumin app, but I think would work with the TEAC or Esoteric app also.  

You need to set up a Tunein account, select favorite stations, and then in the Lumin app under TEAC options, click Internet Radio Settings, provide your Tunein login info, then Update Radio Channels.  This is how I listen to Radio Paradise by the way.
@love_that_sound Did you ever get the CG-10M?  If so, what are your impressions?
Keep an eye on Teac's ebay page.  That's where I picked mine up, it was "open box" and discounted.  Looked like new to me.
They have been blowing out the NT-505 on Walmart. I figured there was something new coming out. I'm surprised they're going to Delta Sigma, I really like the sound of the AKM chip in the NT-505.