Should I sell my Oppo 205?

Please help me decide. Is there a logical reason for current prices on used Oppo 205? I bought mine few years ago brand new for around $1500. I've hardly used it since, maybe 2-3 Blue rays per year max. I have a pretty good collection of blue rays 4k movies. My questions:

1. Is there nothing else on the market to compete with this relatively old player?

2. What is so special about this oppo ?

3. Is it likely to become more in demand in the future?
ei001h
I got the full Modwright tube mods on my 205. I use it for TV audio, streaming and it has a spectacular DAC so I can’t imagine moving up without spending a lot of money. The Oppo has the latest ESS Sabre DAC and combined with an excellent output stage it makes my system sing.
Post removed 
I dont think there is gonna be demand for old tech as it changes every year. I would say unless your in love with it dump if can still get a descent price. 
I have a BDP-105 and have asked myself the same question. I don’t use physical media nearly as much anymore, but I still like to have the option. I don’t use it as a DAC or streamer anymore either. Most of the current sub $1k players I saw only have toslink or analog out. My DAC only has one toslink input and that’s for the smart TV. To use it as a transport I’d really want a coax out. Some of the Sony players I saw have a coax, but I just don’t think it’s worth the hassle. 
Keep it!!

Dvd, cd, etc.  

use it. We have pioneer elite dv 48, & 58 I think, great units.
the 58 hasn’t been used in years. And a old dv79.  Keep them.
use when needed.

Is there really nothing else on market that could perform and compete with this relatively old unit ?
My pioneer elite dv79 is 25 years old. Still the best player ive heard 

keep it in use.     Also have a sherwood cd carousel from the early 2000’s.  Still rocks.  
IMHO, the Oppo was nothing that special, certainly not special enough to command the prices being asked today.  It was a decent player for under $1500.00, but to pay more than that, never.  
Post removed 
Post removed 
They are beautiful players with excellent quality of build, so if you play discs, by all means keep it. I sold my BDP-95 and ended up later buying a BDP-103 for the ability to rip SACDs, which one can also do with certain Sony models, but after having two of those break, I went back to Oppo!
With the money gained from the sale, your unlikely to be able to replace it with anything that does anything it does much better, and it won't be able to do the other things .
If this was sold with a different label through boutique stores at double or more the price it still would have garnered great reviews and no one would complain about the current prices.
There's a reason they can still fetch the prices they do, even if they cost much more used than new.
Everyone is entitled to their subjective opinion. Here's and objective one.: 

Review and Measurements of Oppo UDP-205 UHD Player | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

While a bit dated, it's still pretty competitive, especially when one considers all else it does.
There is no reason to sell it and you can use it for other formats as well what i have discovered over the years is that when you sell something you usually always regret getting rid of a good or great piece of gear.
I now used it as a CD/SACD transport to feed in a DAC for two channel music. Because it has USB input, I also play DSD file through it. As a transport it is a great sounding unit. PS Audio comes out their new SACD transport that can do what 205 does for two channel music, and it doesn’t have a streamer. It’s also at considerable higher price.

it’s a bargain at current asking price because it’s a great piece for both audiophiles and videophiles.

keep it! 

Keep it.  It offers a lot of functional value which may cost you much more to replace.  I did not buy it at $1300 when available, missing a great opportunity.  When I checked used prices, they were outrageous and could not justified it.  I finally purchased a Wolf Audio Alpha and it was not inexpensive. 
I have the Oppo UDP 203 (multi-region) modified with a Kimber mains input which has been my main digital source since disposing of my Linn Unidisk player. Much prefer the Oppo eventhough the Linn was over 12 times the cost. The Linn dealer said that I would miss the Unidisk but .....
Pioneer make a multi format player but this is more than twice the cost of the Oppo and was not as well reviewed - so I would keep it.
How is it as a CD player?  How is it used to handle streaming?  Does it replace an avr?
If she still plays w minimal issues. Keep and use!

When skipping  starts or other issues, someone will will always buy an old non working unit for parts.

Here or on flea bay for a hundo obo. 

I also have a BDP-105 and have asked myself the same question.  

It has so much flexibility, I find it hard to part with.

I primarily use it as a DAC for USB from Roon. It performs the 2nd Tidal unfold and also works well with Qobuz. I connect it to my AR REF5 with a nice XLR cable and the sound is excellent.

For those of you who have replaced the Oppo DAC, I’d like to hear how far you had to go to improve the sound. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK !

I use the 2nd USB for a drive to play my DSD files natively. Roon will not do this.

Sometimes I use the Preamp HT bypass when I want to control volume from the preamp only. This works well and I can only hear minor differences driving my amp directly from the Oppo. So I can use it as a complete 2ch digital preamp. I could live with this if it weren’t for the need to play vinyl which I do often, thus the need for the AR preamp. which sounds wonderful.

I also use both HDMI inputs - 1 for cable box and one for Roku so I can play video in stereo. I like it! I just have a small flat screen mounted above speakers so it doesn’t seem to interfere with imaging.

It’s nice to have toslink and coax, inputs and outputs, for occasional use.

I also have an Esoteric DV50 that I love for CD and find it hard to part with as well but the Oppo is still quite nice and I could use it if I sold the Esoteric.

The Oppo is a unique hi performance swiss army knife. There are few options. I just saw an ad for a new Technics SL-G700 ($3000). It’s probably close in performance with updated technology...covers most of the Oppo functionality but no HDMI.

The Oppo is a DVD/SACD player that does a lot of things well, but not up to true audiophile standards.  It is a 1400.00 unit built to a price point and is decent for the money.  Decent at $1400.00 but it is not as good as a more expensive player and certainly not worth what they are being asked for now.  It is a toy compared to an Esoteric player or the higher end Technics, Denon, Yamaha players.  If you people really think it is as good as more expensive players, you are only fooling yourself.
Have liked it since I bought it.Had a denon 3910 which was good but didnt have the flexibilty of the oppo.Keep it ,its really good at what it does.
It seems to me that selling an item while it still has value as being a wise move especially if you're not really using it. There's likely few if any spare parts for these Oppo units so if you can get good money for it, then sell and move on.
I had a 205 for two years. Sold it $2k and bought an Innuos Zen 3
which has no DAC but streams, burns & stores. $2.2K.

I also bought a separate DAC. The difference between the Oppo
DAC and the new DAC $1.5k is where the real sound improvement
happened.
The next week with an hour between appts I went in a Goodwill
and bought a BDP 93 Oppo player. Still had the remote $18.

So I can still watch BlueRay movies and listen to DVDs.

Advice to the OP? Keep it. Last of a legacy and you still need it
for the Blue Ray stuff.

But do upgrade your DAC asap.

The real reason to keep it if you no longer play Blue Rays is to use it for a Universal Disc Player. Other than the Sony ubpx800m2, It & its bigger sibling play CD, SACD, DVD Audio & Pure Blue Ray Audio. The Oppos have multi channel analog out so you don't have to use the buggy Hdmi connection. If you don't need the multi-channel out or the Universal disc feature, then sell it. 
I have a cheaper Oppo for Blue Ray and have heard the more expensive units many times. Thought they worked fine as transports and thought that the DAC left much to be desired. Of course now I am almost 100% analog unless I need long play and background music.
If you are using Oppo for playing physical media (like BlueRay or CDs) sell it and buy a very decent BlueRay player for 20% of the money you will fetch. You will not notice the difference and pocket between 1.5-2k U$. However, if you are playing content from the hard drives, DLNA or other streaming sources there is nothing that comes close to Oppo. And I am not talking just about the quality of sound or picture, although that too.

The quality of how Oppo handles network and WiFi connectivity, shared storage, deals with congestion, error-correction and multitude of other things does not exist throughout the industry. After my friend sold his 205, he tried B-ray players from 2 prominent brands. They played blue-discs perfectly fine, with proper Atmos sound and delivered baskets full of 4k goodies. However, none provided Oppo’s quality when used as a network-attached unit. I know it first-hand as I was trying to help him getting things solved. And pretty much nothing we stepped on could be solved. Even though we’ve got long email conversations with manufacturers support. The list is surprisingly long and a subject for a separate post.

I personally own BDP-105 and would only part with it if something like Oppo shows up in the market but so far, nothing on the horizon. Its DAC section can still be considered a reference for audio and I am fine with movies in 1024p. The build quality is great and I anticipate another 5 - 8 years of seamless work.The only thing I regret is I had not catch my friend’s sale of 205 in time...

If you take into consideration quality of build, design and features they were sold for laughingly low price. Those players set up a benchmark that, I am afraid, we will never see again. They also scared the industry sharks to death and created a lot of friction not to say tension in the market. There is really nothing you can compare them to. So, there is a reason 203 and 205 boxes sell far above their shelf-price, 3 years after they were discontinued. People who pay current price do not do it because they feel sentimental. They have far more tangible reasons to do so.

Other than its performance, the primary reason for the high prices is that at the time Oppo discontinued production, the demand for this unit was just ramping up; it was nowhere near its market saturation point, and there were a lot of people who still wanted the unit. I wanted to purchase a second 205, and got put on a waiting list for a "final production run" which never materialized. Buying a second unit at $4000+ was a no-starter; ain't gonna happen. It is one of the few players (along with the 203) that offered discrete analog outputs for its channels. I run my home theater audio through a Mackey pro mixer, so the discrete analog was a must-have.
I see some posts here that suggest that many on this thread have NO IDEA how special this player is. “Not worth the $1500? Really? Why then are there USED units for as much as $3464 for sale now? Many companies are building good, inexpensive players that processes video well, but NO player under $5,000 delivers such AWESOME audio. 
Also, as for your minimal (2-3 movies a year), that’s a different matter. That’s essentially a unit that is not getting used,  so if that’s the case why not sell it in pocket $3500? But I would only say to you and everyone on this thread that for those of us streaming today, there’s absolutely no comparison in terms of audio - comparing streaming to a great Blu-ray player like this OPPO. Night and day. Streaming good, sure. Convenient for sure. But audio is a 7/10 and OPPO is 10/10. 
I’d love someone to comment on how the Oppo does audio. I own a 203 used as a bedroom player that like the OP I’ve only watched a few Dolby Vision discs on it. Now I’m curious if the unit can be used as a CD player and provide decent audio production?

Thank you!
I have one of the later production unit’s of the BDP-105D.
Few months later they stopped production.
right out of the box I had to do a software upgrade.
The unit glitches when connected thru HDMI (or whatever it is connected to glitches).
the unit glitches when connected to Tidal, freezing often.  The ONLY way to use Tidal is via downloaded Media Control which glitches multiple ways if I change to another screen while Tidal is playing, often requiring a reboot.
somehow Pandora sounds just as good as the higher quality Tidal stream.
it does not allow blue tooth connecting which would be awesome if it did since the Oppo handles video as well as audio (kids do everything through their phones).
the remote volume button requires REAL pressure to activate and more and more the remote has to be pointed directly at the unit for the actions to engage. 
The wifi dongle works as 4-6 depending on the day (scale of 1-10).
(Maybe) as a result, I have to re-establish network connection.
The reason I bought the Oppo unit was because it was regarded as the primo multi purpose source of its time. It is truly odd that the company stopped production dead in its tracks of All hard items, looking to be a soft product company only. That was their vision.
i have done a ton of reading and communication with the manufacturer in the hope of curing the ills described above. Best I got from the manufacturer and the dealer was to unplug the unit for a few minutes which usually temporarily cured the problems (but not the HDMI problems).
to the thought of selling it and replacing with separates (cd player, streamer, DAC..) I don’t like the idea of added complications to set up/use nor am I convinced the resulting audio would be better. Sure, I’ve read the glowing posts about how some DAC upgrade drastically improved on the Oppo, but at this point I won’t do it without hearing the difference firsthand.
i am currently using an Oppo 103 with a 6TB external HD. i have had issues with playing flac. files. the music will skip a beat or a lyric will stutter. i am thinking of ditching the Oppo for music and buying a NAS and streaming my music from it? the Oppo Media app. crashes constantly and the OSD freezes up. issues with Tidal as well, freezes up. any ideas folks. looking at the new Primare Prisma NP5 due out next month.
i'd keep it. i think it's a vg cdp,  certainly competitive with others in the $1k range; the fact that it plays movies is a plus, even if you infrequently do so + it can stream and many people like using it as a preaamp. as a dac, i'm sure you can spend more and get better, but i'm not sure the difference would be cost-effective.
Post removed 
oppo 103's are way different than 105 or 205's. But on 103's a lot of music stutter is a problem between the external HD's firmware. Try another HD. Or a USB stick.