New DACs High End Munich 2023

I am now searching for a new DAC to replace my Oppo UDP-205 and High End Munich 2023 was the event I was waiting for to hear about new announcements.

I know that Auralic and Total DAC have introduced new DACs and Primare has new modules. Anyone hear any other DACs being released in the next 2-3 months?

128x128milpai

Even with my SME tt And Icon ps3 phono pre with Hana ML cart , The SA 10 is very close when I play SACd using the balance mode.Music direct has 60 day auditions.

@ja_kub_sz , Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, I have seen it go both ways. But some do love it and are very happy with the Musetec.

@jayctoy , I have not read a single bad review about the Marantz. While it is not my top choice, it is a device that I could live with a very long time, since I used to own a Marantz a few years ago and I know the house sound.

Milpai DACS does a lot of good music too.I know because my Schiit Gungnir And Cambridge transport are making music.Good Luck to you in finding the right DaC for you.

you should try the Wyred4sound 10th anniversary dac It's phenomenal sounding one of the reviewers that tested it put it up against his VPI turntable with a $5,000 Japanese cartridge and he said that the 10th anniversary DAC was every bit as analog sounding I tried it and I love it and I'll never get rid of it It's the most analog sounding DAC I've had in my system, and they even give you a 30-day money back trial if you don't like it you send it back and get all your money back in the reviews it has beaten d a c s in the $15,000 price range, go check out the reviews you'll be impressed. The manufacturer is using all the best high grade parts that these other companies are using and charging a fortune for.

Ok, let me check that out too. Thanks.

Was trying to find more information on new DACS and read about Henry Audio DAC. Of course not something that I am looking for; but had not heard of them before.

Looks like the world's supply chain issues are over - now that the Okto DAC is readily available to be purchased on their site for the past 2 weeks. While this is something that I can purchase right now, I am heavily leaning towards the T+A, especially as I have been reading glowing reviews.
Wonder if anyone has a direct comparison experience between the Okto and the T+A.

@ja_kub_sz  How does the Gustard R26 compare to the Musatec 005. I have owned the 005 and considered it a very smooth and detailed DAC. 

@yyzsantabarbara 

I honestly feel that 005 outshines the R26 in center imaging and sound field width and dept (more holographic). They're both very detailed sounding DAC's, and I don't critically listen along the lines of teasing out which one is a more detailed DAC between the two. Speed and transients too I would give to the 005. Just over all does everything the R26 does and then some.

I feel the price difference is this comparison is definitely indicative of their respective performance where the 005 cost more and offers more, and is not lacking in anything that the R26 delivers.

To be completely honest I've had these two DAC's paired up in very different systems in very different sized rooms. So my listening impressions are very specific to what surrounds them I'm sure.

Musetec 005 system: Innuos Zenith MK3, Matrix DDC HDMI with 9v LPSU to 005, Technics G700MK2, JBL 4309 speakers with dual SVS Micro subs. Room 30x30 with 25' ceiling large floor rug, no room treatments.

R26 system: Harman 48 SACD/DVD audio player, coaxial out to R26 (used a DAC and preamp), Schiit Aegir Monoblock amplifiers, KEF LS50 Meta's, single SVS SB-3000 sub. 30'x35' room 11' ceilings, epoxy concrete floors, no room treatments.

I absolutely love them both, very different systems though.

Milpai I listen to Steve Huff review wow no wonder you are falling for T+a DAC it’s beautiful? If I were you? I will try my best to be able to Audition it.

@jayctoy , I have been reading glowing reviews about this DAC for some time now. When this DAC was introduced, there was 1 user who had mentioned that they prefered the DAC 8 DSD over the DAC 200. But 99% of the users who own this DAC have nothing but praises for it. Also there are some reviewers here that I trust have nothing but praises for this DAC.
I am not sure how I am going to convince my better half, but that is what is going on in my mind, besides keeping my eyes open to other DACs. In case you decide to go with a DAC, do let us know what you ended up with. I will be very curious -  especially seeing that you have already very good components in multiple systems.

Hi Milpai, first I want to know which NOS Mazda's you are using with your Backert?  I've got a Rythm 1.3 and have some tubes that Andy sent me which I like but love to tinker sometimes.

Next, I want to recommend the Maerason DAC1.  In my rig (McGary/Backert/Fleetwood Devilles) it was a clear winner over Bricasti, Ideon and anything Chord.  I know they have just updated the DAC1 to a MKII version and raised the price to $8K (rumor has it they want to introduce a new model in between the DAC1 and Frerot), but you can probably get a really good deal on a used version of the original DAC1.  If you have a chance to hear one, it's worth the effort.

The Merason DAC 1, is a New Brand and Model to me.

I usually stick close to a DAC with Valves in a circuit. The report I discovered on the DAC 1 started very positively and I had to have a look into this one.

The findings are of the type, that would put it high up on my 'must get a Demo' List. The model can be found used, and could be acquired for $3K if initial offers are not overly cheeky.

If a demo' proved to my liking, I would even consider taking a punt on one, at a time when the model is able to be found cheaper at a later date, I am liking the idea of having a SS DAC in the company of my Valve DAC. Hopefully in the near future somebody with a eye for Topology and circuit improvements will have designed a Upgrade Path for the DAC 1. 

Hi @badgerdms , I use the Mazda greyplates from 1960s. I got them from Jesse Brent with extended warranty. Andy at Backert is a genuine and very helpful guy. I have talked to hm at length. Did you get the HP tubes from him? If yes, how do you like them over the stock new Mullards? I suggest that you write to Jesse about the sound you are prefer and he can help you decide.

Thank You for the recommendation on the Merason DAC recommendation. TBH, it does not do DSD and hence is a non-starter for me. I have about 150+ SACDs and I also up-sample PCM to DSD 512 in Foobar and like what I hear. I know we can go into a completely different direction with DSD Vs PCM - but I would not like to go there.

@pindac , I am not sure if I would prefer valve in my DAC. Valve in preamp is the best I can do. I do not want valves in my amp or DAC. And the Merason does not do DSD and hence is a non-starter for me. But Thank You for the suggestion.

@milpai I use Valves in a much larger capacity that you have chosen to use.

Additionally, with Valves used a components being my preferred Topology/Circuit, I do not encourage others to use Valves. In my earliest days of using these designs, I was informed by EE's there is a discipline required by the user. I have been faithful to the disciplines explained and do not encourage that others inherit these, it is their choice, if the Valve Design is the one wanted to be wed to.

I believe it is for this reason that I have sought out SS equipment that I perceive as delivering to a standard that is close in the sonic that a Valve Design will display.

Hence, my interest in a SS DAC, that I sense will be a good device to run parallel with my DAC of choice, especially one that will be able to lift the impression made by a usually met design for a SS DAC. 

My friends DIY Design is capable of this, but that is not one I can guide others to, I prefer to have something readily available, to make known to all who are inquisitive and showing a interest.

This is allowing for my usual practices, where I attempt to make the devices qualities known, through doing demo's where there are a range of attendees with differing interests or through the reporting on the experiences had on a forum.

I took my Bespoke Produced Valve DAC only, on a round trip of approx' 280 miles to a Forum Event, that was heavily supported with Digital Sources.

As the day unfolded, I was able to encourage a unknown individual, who had a digital source that got quite a bit of attention, to let me connect my DAC into their system.

There was a queue of individuals wanting to hear their own music replayed through it, I call this a successful experience and a good new encounter with a device for a large proportion of the attendees.

It would be nice to have a not too expensive SS DAC, that is not too well known but readily available as a model, that has the capabilities to create a similar reaction. 

Post removed 

Another fan of Playback designs here

I traded an old DAC (the third DAC trade in) towards a dealer demo Playback Designs Merlot, must be 7-8 years ago now.  So far I haven't looked back. While other components have changed, I have not felt I need a new DAC yet.  If I was not now an older guy with limited cash flow, I would not hesitate to move up to another Playback Designs. As a side note, I had an informative and satisfying email exchange with Andreas Koch, the man behind Playback design (and the SACD when he worked for Sony/Phillips).  If a used Merlot were to show up, see if you can get it to try out in your system.  It was originally $6500, shouldn't be more than 4K now.

The Merlot marries perfectly with my Audio Research REF amp & preamp - at least to my ear.  Of course, there are so many other factors that your experience will probably be different. 

Should have noted that the Merlot is an FPGA DAC.

I haven't taken the time to look, but a used merlot could be a  lot less than 4K now.

I was surprised why this DAC did not take the audiophile world by storm. Maybe it was a bit too early in the digital world and we were not ready for it then? While some folks were enamored with it, but not a huge following like rest of the Playback design products.

try the Wyred4sound 10th anniversary dac, very analog sounding DAC, one of the reviewers put it up against his VPI turntable with a $5,000 Japanese cartridge and he said it was every bit as analog sounding, costs $4,500 US but I agree I have it in my system and it's the most analog sounding DAC that I've tried.

Milpai, I have a Terminator Plus.  There was a firmware update at the beginning of June.  I was using I2S from a Denafrips Iris DDC because it sounded better than USB.  After the update I2S now sounds very flat but the USB is much improved. And the Iris in not plug and play now, I have to reset the pin out configuration to change between PCM and DSD.

I also bought a used Lampizator Golden Gate recently.  It has a DHT tube output.  I run it thru an Allnic DHT pre-amp, its not too much tubes.  

As much as the TP improved after the update, the Lampizator is more musical.  The leading edges hit with slam and meat on the bones the TP lacks.

FWIW I had a Yggdrassil and W4S DAC2DSD v2.2 SE, neither were as good as the Terminator I had before the TP.

Good to know @jayctoy . Thanks!

@anzaanimalclinic , Thank You for the feedback on the Terminator Plus and the configs that you use. Very interesting, that the I2S now sounds flat compared to the USB. I have generally heard that I2S sounds better. Anyway, in my case, it would be USB.

FYI. Steve Huff is now declaring the new Weiss beats the T+A.

You might want to check it out before spending considerably more on the T+A.

I've had an Aqua La Voce for about 10 years, with no compelling reason to replace it. I don't understand why it doesn't garner more attention, here but I digress.

S.Huff has a video up re: the new Weiss

I wish you good luck in your search

@stuartk,

Are you talking about the video review he did? Where does he mention that? People have asked him about it in the comments section. But he has not responded.

I had listened to Senheiser HD 800s headphone using Starkrimson Pecanpi+.

HD 800s is not easy headphone to drive due to high impedance.

But I could enjoy Jennifer Warnes "Rock me gently" which give plenty of bass.

After warming it up more than 48 hours, Pecanpi+ sounds more refined which exceeds my expectation.

I have yet to test its streaming function.

But as just standalone Dac and pre, it may be worth more than its humble price.of 900$

I plan to start "Best value Dac made in US" thread after further listening.

Thomas:)

where does one buy stock in steve huff??? seems like he is the sole opinion leader swaying expensive dac purchases around the globe these days... the monetization potential is just enormous!!!!   🤣😂

be sure to get the indonesian speakers he recommended too while you’re shopping...

sorry, i just couldn’t resist... carry on...

@jjss49 

I only mentioned Steve Huff because I happened to notice his video comparison of the new Weiss to the  T+A. If I'd known about other reviewers who'd made the same comparison, I would've mentioned them as well. I thought this might be of interest to the OP and assumed he's capable of deciding for himself whether Huff's comments were relevant in the context of his DAC search. 

I have no personal investment in advocating for Mr. Huff , John Darko, The Audiophiliac, Zero Fidelity, or any of the rest. 

@milpai 

Not sure if anyone mentioned yet, look into Ever Solo Z8 DAC. It appears to be a solidly built and engineered. No direct experience with it but I am using currently using a DAC with Sabre Chip and absolutely love the sound. 

no worries @stuartk, and no offense intended -- i wasn’t at all implying you had any vested interest

was just a little needling that i couldn’t resist -- to remind all of us that these youtube talking heads are helping themselves as much as, if not more than, helping ’the viewers’

after all he is just a guy with a pair of ears in a house in the woods, made some inroads getting retailers and minor manufacturers to send him stuff to opine on and publish as cost effective advertising

in our hifi world, not much difference than the kardashians or paris hilton... famous only for, well, being famous, zero credibility otherwise

@jjss49 

OK.  I appreciate the clarification. I certainly don't view such "talking heads" as "the last word" -- merely other sources for opinions that may or may not coincide with what my ears tell me. . 

Yesterday I discovered S. Huff is into some seriously weird stuff -- "talking to the dead" using the "Wonder Box" -- a bizarre gizmo that looks like it came out of a Flash Gordon comic. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/724516658811783076/

@milpai

Now I am really confused... I just watched the video and you’re right -- he doesn’t make that comparison. So, where did I get that idea?

Perhaps it was a different reviewer? 

I hate it when this sort of thing happens and at age 67, it’s happening more often.

At any rate, I'm sorry -- I didn’t intend to send you on a wild goose chase!

Best wishes,

Stuartk

@milpai @stuartk 

Below is a quote from Huff in the comments section of the video review where he replied to a comment.

Thank you. It really is a true high end DAC for much less than some exotic dacs cost. For me personally, there is no reason to spend more if all I need is an excellent sounding DAC without fluff.

@stuartk , no worries at all. Like @jjss49 mentioned, every reviewer has an opinion. For me, Steve us a influencer. So, while he does not get paid by the DAC manufacturer, the more hits/views he gets on Youtube, you know the rest. Recommendations by longtime posters or posters who have listed their systems here get my most attention. This is because these posters have genuinely owned and experienced the component. For example, there is a brand new poster on the Teac 701 DAC thread who joined yesterday and is claiming that the Mola Mola or the T+A DAC200 were not noticeably better. This is a complete red flag for me, based on the many posts from many long time posters here as well as on sites like AudioAsylum, AudiophileStyle, etc.

@lalitk , Thanks for the recommendation. This DAC reminds me of so many DACs in similar price range that measure very good, but many users complain of being sterile.

@ghasley , I will take that with a pinch of salt. That is because he has not responded to the very specific question posted for T+A DAC200 by 3 posters. Strange that he has done a pick-n-choose reply 😉 on his Youtube Channel.

But I will also mention that there is a genuine poster on this site who has his own Youtube channel and loved the T+A DAC200. But he has sold that off and went with a Ayre DAC which he says makes poor recordings listenable. While he did not respond to my query directly, I know he is genuine because the DACs that he mentioned he owned, were sold on this Site and on US Audiomart. So, for me, while home auditioning might not be possible, I do a lot of background research before I finalize a component and go for an audition. I might get a chance to visit some dealers next month.

@shkong78 did you drive the headphones directly from the headphone amp built into the streamer or did you go from the streamer to the starkrimson amp and then to the headphones?

@orchardaudio

great to see you posting here

purely for fun and curiosity i picked up one of your pecanpi streamer/dacs used to try and play with, i have much more expensive units (weiss, modwright modded cambridge unit, gustard r2r r26, msb analog dac with streamer card)... your little box does very well indeed in the company of gear many multiples more expensive (albeit fed with nice linear power supply)

performance and satisfaction per dollar is off the charts!  keep up the great work!  👍👍

@milpai, there were many factors that went into this decision which I do not want to discus here.

I would strongly consider a used Lampizator Amber 3 or new Amber 4. These are incredible DACs. You can look up the specs and reviews. They clearly out perform others on the market at 2-3 times the price. If quality and sound matters, check out Lampizator’s entry level DAC.

@rubicon15

2 posts

I would strongly consider a used Lampizator Amber 3 or new Amber 4. These are incredible DACs. You can look up the specs and reviews. They clearly out perform others on the market at 2-3 times the price. If quality and sound matters, check out Lampizator’s entry level DAC.

gotta love it

2 posts, new member, both touting the same dac in different threads

guerilla marketing from warsaw?  🤣🤣

I have a customer who just traded in an Lampizator Amber 4 with VC for a Bricasti M3.  

“They clearly out perform others on the market at 2-3 times the price.”

We have seen and read these outlandish claims before. There are no absolutes in audio, only opinions and biases based on our personal preferences. Having said that, Lampizator DAC’s can be very addictive in any well put together system. If I have the extra funds, I wouldn’t hesitate adding a 2nd DAC like GG2 (balanced) in my system for alternative flavor 😊