New DACs High End Munich 2023

I am now searching for a new DAC to replace my Oppo UDP-205 and High End Munich 2023 was the event I was waiting for to hear about new announcements.

I know that Auralic and Total DAC have introduced new DACs and Primare has new modules. Anyone hear any other DACs being released in the next 2-3 months?

128x128milpai

Showing 12 responses by pindac

I have a friend who produces their own designs DAC's and Phonostages.

Recently the latest DAC this person produced, which was designed to present with a perception that there was a underlying Rich Tone, was used in a comparison with a Denafrips Venus II (not with latest FW Updates) and it was quite evident the DAC produced by a friend had shown the Denafrips a 'Clean set of Heels'.

The Venus owner was looking to replace the model following this experience. Vert recently the Venus owner has made it known the model has now had all Firm Ware Updates and the device has lifted to a much improved presentation and a much improved experience.

The friend who builds DAC's is at the Munich Show over the Weekend and has an intention to become familiar with lesser known DAC's that are being demonstrated. Maybe some models demonstrated will be readily available in the US, and not so in the UK.

If the OP is interested in receiving a list of DAC's that made a good impression, I am happy to request info to pass on, I suspect my friend will Photo document a lot of the equipment, this should help with identifying systems in use, which may also be made known. 

As a reminder and in relation to 'New'.

The owner of the Denafrips Venus II that is now with the latest Firmware added, no longer feels the need to seek out an alternative model or discuss having a DAC built. This is a very seasoned user of HiFi Equipment, who has experienced a substantial amount of equipment in use, it looks like the Venus II has raised the bar.

The Merason DAC 1, is a New Brand and Model to me.

I usually stick close to a DAC with Valves in a circuit. The report I discovered on the DAC 1 started very positively and I had to have a look into this one.

The findings are of the type, that would put it high up on my 'must get a Demo' List. The model can be found used, and could be acquired for $3K if initial offers are not overly cheeky.

If a demo' proved to my liking, I would even consider taking a punt on one, at a time when the model is able to be found cheaper at a later date, I am liking the idea of having a SS DAC in the company of my Valve DAC. Hopefully in the near future somebody with a eye for Topology and circuit improvements will have designed a Upgrade Path for the DAC 1. 

@milpai I use Valves in a much larger capacity that you have chosen to use.

Additionally, with Valves used a components being my preferred Topology/Circuit, I do not encourage others to use Valves. In my earliest days of using these designs, I was informed by EE's there is a discipline required by the user. I have been faithful to the disciplines explained and do not encourage that others inherit these, it is their choice, if the Valve Design is the one wanted to be wed to.

I believe it is for this reason that I have sought out SS equipment that I perceive as delivering to a standard that is close in the sonic that a Valve Design will display.

Hence, my interest in a SS DAC, that I sense will be a good device to run parallel with my DAC of choice, especially one that will be able to lift the impression made by a usually met design for a SS DAC. 

My friends DIY Design is capable of this, but that is not one I can guide others to, I prefer to have something readily available, to make known to all who are inquisitive and showing a interest.

This is allowing for my usual practices, where I attempt to make the devices qualities known, through doing demo's where there are a range of attendees with differing interests or through the reporting on the experiences had on a forum.

I took my Bespoke Produced Valve DAC only, on a round trip of approx' 280 miles to a Forum Event, that was heavily supported with Digital Sources.

As the day unfolded, I was able to encourage a unknown individual, who had a digital source that got quite a bit of attention, to let me connect my DAC into their system.

There was a queue of individuals wanting to hear their own music replayed through it, I call this a successful experience and a good new encounter with a device for a large proportion of the attendees.

It would be nice to have a not too expensive SS DAC, that is not too well known but readily available as a model, that has the capabilities to create a similar reaction. 

On The Weekend Passed, I was fortunate to be one of a Group of invitees to a Home where the resident system has been a ’first time’ encounter, and nearly every device in the system has been a first time encounter as well.

A recent acquisition DAC from the Brand Hegel, which the was the Model HD 30, is the resident DAC and was used for much of the demo’.

From the outset there was a lot to be happy with, but that could have also been very much associated with the Klipsch Jubilee Speakers, that were taking pride of place in a dedicated Acoustic Treated room, or just the whole ambience as the listening Room is the result of a recent completion of a Home Renovation.

Once the stimulus’s were more concentrated into the Sound being produced only.

It become quite apparent the Hegel HD 30, was in this system, as a SS DAC, was delivering in manner that was much more noticeable in improvement to my tastes, to any other SS DAC that has been demo’d over the past 18 months.

The day was not limited to the system as met, there were devices brought along that were to be exchanged with resident equivalents.

RCA Phono Cables between £300 - £1000 were tried out.

In this system, the £1000 Cable was able to really show off the Quality of the CD Replays, the sound being produced was a cut above, what was before.

Alternative Pre and Power Amp’s were used and then a Bespoke Built Valve DAC>PWA Memory Player as a comparison to the CDP >Hegel.

The Valve DAC for all the right reasons was a show stopper, the requests to replay earlier used tracks was constant. The Valve DAC really shone in this system.

I am investigation SS DAC’s and am not allocating a cost associated with the Hegel, I am on a tighter budget and am also am interested in a DAC with a small dimension/footprint.

If I could discover a SS DAC that meets my wants, that has a leaning toward the Hegel by as little as 50% as a produced sonic, I will be very happy. The Hegel is in my view based on experience through encounters with SS DAC’s the best encounter I have had to date.

If Budget allows, the Hegel HD 30, is certainly one to attempt to have a demo’ off.

It also is seemingly a Model with many Tick Boxes for the OP’s needs.

FWIW, both the Host of this occasion and one of the attendees, had got themselves quite familiarised with the Hegel prior to their visiting Munich 2023.

Their description given when inquiring about DAC;s encountered, is pretty much, neither felt their experiences at Munich was able to discover a DAC' that stood out against this one, the only notable differences they were confident they was detecting was the difference between speakers being demo'd.

As the system in use with the Hegel has Klipsch Jubilee's as Speakers, this is hardly surprising. I myself expect many Speakers to sound quite wanting after being in front of the Klipsch's for quite few hours.

@rubicon15 Welcome to the Forum, I watched this forum for quite few years before I joined, I see too many posts with similarities to your own experience being met.

Not too long after joining I took a few low blows from the 'old guard', I am still here a few years on and stand strong in my corner.

It looks like your initial entry requires a few extra implements to help pass over some of the hurdles you are being presented.

I have read your first post, your recommendation clearly makes a reference to considering a used item, as well as what I assume is a latest model.

Seeing as there is no links added to anything used, and the present used market using HiFi Shark as  a reference for a Amber 3, shows the only model presently for sale is in Eastern Europe.

I doubt you are the Vendor of a Amber 3 located in the Country Czechoslovakia. 

I think the confrontation is unnecessary and you if the confronters can be the bigger person, you should be feeling much more welcomed.    

There has to be something very Special about a Modern Device to get my attention.

At present in the World of Digital it is the Hegel HD 30 that is the most desired to be listened to in the home system, but limited to its qualities as a SS DAC. I can't see a SS DAC in the short term or even further down the line pushing myself of a Valve DAC. As stated a percentage of the Hegel's traits in a compact form would suffuce for my needs.

In the World of Vinyl, the most desired to be home auditioned devices are a few SUT's produced by the same Brand. 

I very rarely sell and can put together a system used in the Olden Days very quickly, I know where I have been and where I am at. Classic used audio Sources are very attractive to myself, having these overhauled with a modern concept is where the magic really happens for me.

Valves are the big thing, and Vintage Tubes in use with these has proven to be my tipple.

There is a endless list of DAC Models that are Superseded by later models.

There are also quite a few who sit tight with their DAC's for many years, without being lured into Upgrade'itis'.

I do not believe the Hegel HD 30 is a unsupported device from the manufacturer, there is nothing to suggest the Company has a 'Leave High and Dry Policy'.

'If' the device is not in production and an interest is developing in this model, it won't take long to verify the accuracy for what is being stated, and how the Company intends of offering support over the following years when Warranty Periods are spent.   

@jjss49 Your description of a Valve DAC works for me.

I own one and have compared it to a selection of SS DAC’s.

I am not anti SS DAC, but am glad I was introduced to my Valve DAC early on in my voyage into Digital Recording Replays.

The most recently listened to Hegel HD 30, used in the system it was demo'd in, as well as a professionally Acoustically Treated Room, is the first SS DAC I have totally relaxed with in the same manner a Valve DAC can enforce one to breath out, with a sigh and embrace the moment. As the owned Valve DAC was A/B compared to the Hegel, pretty much made this attractive impression self-evident from the off set.

The Venus Owner who was also present was also very impressed with the impression the Hegel can create. 

The Hegel is certainly not Valve Like, it is very noticeable for being a SS Design, but is very capable of producing a Sonic that is extremely relaxing and able to create a ambience where you are kicking your shoes off and intending on staying for the long haul. Not Bad for a Device, with a short usage life behind it. l am wanting to hear it in use following a few more hundred hours of usage.

@jjss49 DAC's you have compared are containing models, I feel confident the OP has a knowledge of or even a interest in.

With the above in mind the description offered is timely and worthwhile seeing.  

It does seem the latest FW for Denafrips is getting very good press as well.

As for Long Posts, a Calendar is needed to gauge how long many of my Posts can be 😂.

@jjss49 DAC's you have compared are containing models, I feel confident the OP has a knowledge of or even a interest in.

With the above in mind the description offered is timely and worthwhile seeing.  

It does seem the latest FW for Denafrips is getting very good press as well.

As for Long Posts, a Calendar is needed to gauge how long many of my Posts can be 😂.

Clever Marketing has the power of suggestion, which for some, there is little defence.

Retracting from its advances, as would a hand from a Red Hot Poker Tip, is not able to be mustered. 

The desire to separate from disposable income, is the exact place clever marketing embeds itself in ones psyche. 

I am intrigued when in the Digital Section on Forums, not only this one, of how many individuals can role call owned digital devices, that seemingly have similar numbers to the quantity of a not too heavy populated CD Collection.  

Coming from a Vinyl Background the exchanges within and outside of forums have never put me in the path of individuals who have a history of turnover of supporting devices for this Source as seen in the world of Digital as a Source.

Is a Digital Source really such a experience, where being seemingly discontented, surfaces speedily for a broader spread of its users.

I could not settle for Digital for many years, nearly 40 Years after it became mainstream. The impact of the sonic on myself was for a very long time, not wanted to be used in the Home System, the Source Materials was used for In Car Entertainment and in the Children's Bedrooms.

Today, I have embraced digital and have found my peace with it, there has been no need to turn over numerous ancillaries to find the devices that are preferential to myself.

I don't just put that change solely down to the CD as a Source along with the supporting ancillaries, it also has a lot to do with development of the system and the present day performance of the audio system overall.