New DACs High End Munich 2023

I am now searching for a new DAC to replace my Oppo UDP-205 and High End Munich 2023 was the event I was waiting for to hear about new announcements.

I know that Auralic and Total DAC have introduced new DACs and Primare has new modules. Anyone hear any other DACs being released in the next 2-3 months?

128x128milpai

Showing 6 responses by stuartk

FYI. Steve Huff is now declaring the new Weiss beats the T+A.

You might want to check it out before spending considerably more on the T+A.

I've had an Aqua La Voce for about 10 years, with no compelling reason to replace it. I don't understand why it doesn't garner more attention, here but I digress.

S.Huff has a video up re: the new Weiss

I wish you good luck in your search

@jjss49 

I only mentioned Steve Huff because I happened to notice his video comparison of the new Weiss to the  T+A. If I'd known about other reviewers who'd made the same comparison, I would've mentioned them as well. I thought this might be of interest to the OP and assumed he's capable of deciding for himself whether Huff's comments were relevant in the context of his DAC search. 

I have no personal investment in advocating for Mr. Huff , John Darko, The Audiophiliac, Zero Fidelity, or any of the rest. 

@jjss49 

OK.  I appreciate the clarification. I certainly don't view such "talking heads" as "the last word" -- merely other sources for opinions that may or may not coincide with what my ears tell me. . 

Yesterday I discovered S. Huff is into some seriously weird stuff -- "talking to the dead" using the "Wonder Box" -- a bizarre gizmo that looks like it came out of a Flash Gordon comic. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/724516658811783076/

@milpai

Now I am really confused... I just watched the video and you’re right -- he doesn’t make that comparison. So, where did I get that idea?

Perhaps it was a different reviewer? 

I hate it when this sort of thing happens and at age 67, it’s happening more often.

At any rate, I'm sorry -- I didn’t intend to send you on a wild goose chase!

Best wishes,

Stuartk

There are also quite a few who sit tight with their DAC's for many years, without being lured into Upgrade'itis'.

I'm one of them. The most dramatic improvements I've experienced have been upgrading my amp and transport and playing with speaker placement. So far, I haven't had any reason to suspect that  my DAC is a weak point in the signal chain. My guess is that I'd have to spend quite a bit more to realize a significant difference. But then, I've had the same speakers since 2006. If it ain't broke... 

@jjss49 

Many thanks for the "reality check" re: the 1- 2% difference in SQ you've encountered between a variety of DACs at different price points.  Given the attention (is the word "hype" applicable here?) high-dollar DACs garner on the forum and elsewhere, I'd expected much more dramatic deltas.